Theodore Roosevelt was one bad ass American politician and author. He was also the leader of the Republican Party and was elected as the 26th president of the United States of America at the age of just 43 (He is the youngest American president in history).
In 1906, he won the Nobel Peace Prize for negotiating an end to the Russo-Japanese War. His famous ideology was “speak softly and carry a big stick”.
Here are some life lessons that you can learn from several of Theodore Roosevelt’s famous quotes.
1. Make the best use of what you have. No Excuses.
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” –Theodore Roosevelt
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. This lesson is especially true for entrepreneurs. No matter what you have or where you are, always try to make the best use of your circumstances to pursue your goal. Don’t point fingers or whine if you get the short end of the stick. Utilize every resource available to you. Look around you, what resources you have? Are there any alternatives? The key here is to start immediately with everything you have.
This quote also strips away every excuse you might have for not doing something. Don’t say “I don’t have this or that, so I can’t do this or that.” That’s bull shit. If you want to do something, you can just do it with what you have or you can search for alternatives. No excuses for yourself. Never let your circumstances stop you.
For example, you don’t need to have a gym membership to get fit. You can learn which workout routines are suitable for you from Youtube and workout on your own in your own home. Going to the gym is not the only way to get fit.
“I attribute my success to this – I never gave or took any excuse.” -Florence Nightingale
You want to succeed? Then, never give any excuses. Ever. Never point fingers at anything. Never blame anything. You can’t change others, only yourself! You’re one step further away from success in your life every time you find excuses for yourself.
2. Self-Discipline is essential in our life.
“With self-discipline most anything is possible.” –Theodore Roosevelt
Self-discipline is the ability to control ourselves to do the right things. With self-discipline you can overcome procrastination. You can get yourself to do what you should have been doing. You have a clear idea on what you should be doing.
Put it in a simple way, self-discipline is what makes you do the things that you should do, yet you aren’t willing to do. Just like waking up early in the morning to jog around the park no matter how tired you are the previous day. Your body will doubtlessly resist doing it, but with self discipline, you’re able to force yourself to stick to the plan.
Self-discipline is really important in order to succeed. Without it, we will be lazy, we will procrastinate. It’s one of the most important ingredients of success as it allows us to stick to our schedule, our plan. It allows us to focus on the goal, the end game, and that’s what going to make us succeed in the future.
3. Self-confidence is the key.
“Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” –Theodore Roosevelt
Believing in yourself is really important in allowing you to live your life to the fullest. Without self-confidence, you can’t succeed. Why? If even you yourself can’t believe in your own abilities, who will? How can you convince others if you can’t even convince yourself? To succeed, you must first believe that you can succeed. Do that, and you have won half of the battle!
“They succeed, because they think they can.” -Virgil
Even Virgil, Rome’s greatest poet, believed in the power of self-belief. Believe in yourself before anyone else can believe in you – that’s the key of success. You see, self-confidence plays an important role in our life. Without it, we will felt depressed whenever stuff doesn’t go our way, we lack the courage to pursue our dreams and we will give up the moment we face any hardship or obstacles.
But how do we improve our self-esteem? See the positive in the negatives, develop a positive mindset. And, don’t ever doubt your own capability. Remember, everyone is meant for something great, you just haven’t realized your potential yet!
4. Don’t afraid to try to succeed.
Don’t be afraid to speak out whenever you have any ideas. Don’t be scared of failure. Always remember the simple fact that if you never try, you will never know what the result might be. Yes, there is a possibility that you might fail after you try, but you can rest easy knowing that at least you tried. Also, don’t give up even if you experience failure. Take it as a lesson in life. Did you know that Walt Disney got turned down 302 times before he got financing to build Disneyland?
Yes, failure is hard to accept, it has always been. But failure is also an opportunity to grow. It’s part of the path towards success. Every successful person faced failure multiple times before in their lives. Why did they finally succeed? Because they dared to try. They dared to take action to make their dreams a reality. More importantly, they dared to fail. They are never afraid of trying and taking action in their path to success.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” –Mark Twain
Craving for success? Take action now, don’t ever allow yourself to regret your inaction in the future.
5. When it’s time to enjoy, enjoy. When it’s time to work, work hard.
“When you play, play hard; when you work, don’t play at all.” –Theodore Roosevelt
This quote is speaks of an important lesson. When it’s time for entertainment, enjoy yourself, but when it’s time for to be serious, you got tostay away from all distractions. Pay full attention to the task at hand. FOCUS!
The front part of the quote tells us that, it’s okay to take a break from your for some entertainment and to relax. There is no sin in taking a break. You don’t need to burn yourself out. However, you have to maintain a working balance between work and entertainment. Don’t forget that you’re human too.
“Play” when necessary. But when it’s time to work, you should put 100% of your effort on it. Focus on the tasks you’re doing. Stay away from anything that will distract you: smartphones, television, snacks, the internet & etc. Especially when you know you get distracted easily. Stay focused until you have done your job.
“The successful warrior is the average man, with laserlike focus.” –Bruce Lee
That’s how some people become successful. They focus like a laser when it comes to work. Maintain a balance between work and play in life and never overwhelm yourselves with a heavy workload.
6. Grab every opportunity that comes to you.
“When you are asked if you can do a job, tell ’em, ‘Certainly I can!’ Then get busy and find out how to do it.” –Theodore Roosevelt
When any opportunity comes to you, grab it, even if you’re not fully prepared. Opportunities are rare and far between, so when you come across an opportunity, make sure you don’t miss it. Don’t hesitate. Don’t doubt your own ability! Seize the moment!
Like what the last part of the quote says, after grabbing the opportunity, get busy and find out how to get things done. When you accept a job, you will want to do a good job. Thus, you will definitely find out how to do it. Why am I so sure? Because when there is a will there is a way.
“Either I will find a way, or I will make one.” – Philip Sidney
If you can’t find one? Just make one.
The message Theodore is trying to send is to grab every opportunity you have in your life, even if you aren’t prepared. If you don’t seize the opportunity, you may regret in the future. Besides, do you see the positive mindset in the quote? “Certainly I can” You’ve just got to believe in yourself!
30 Most Famous Quotes of All Time to Motivate You
It seems in the last decade or so, motivational quotes and inspirational quotes are front and center on Facebook and Instagram feeds. It’s no wonder why. They really do have that impactful kick to make you get up and do stuff!
I know for me, it was all these quotes that I kept reading that:
- pushed me out of my comfort zone
- gave me courage to smash goals
- helped me believe in myself
- soothed my broken heart sometimes
- helped me out of rock bottom, and
- kept me strong in times of trouble
Legends like Les Brown, Joel Brown and Tony Robbins motivated the crap out of me. I stayed strong and focused because of their powerful words. I mean, they did quote all these inspirational words to motivate us, no?
Of course they did. So I’ve searched high and low for the best and most empowering famous quotes of all time in hopes they inspire you like they did me.
Do quotes really help?
The answer is yes and no. No they won’t work if you read them, brush them off and never feel the power of their words.
Yes they will work if you make them work for you and you want them too. Quotes are like affirmations. Many of us recant affirmations either as part of our morning routine, evening routine or just whenever we need a boost.
When you read them and repeat them out loud and feel each and every word in every ounce of your being, they work!! Besides, I’m living proof they help. Empowering quotes have helped me out of rock bottom twice, depression a few times, and helped me smash and achieve goals.
So yes, they work. And these most famous quotes I’ve chosen are famous for a reason. They have inspired, motivated and empowered millions of people around the world to chase their dreams, believe in themselves and never give up.
Without further ado…
10 famous quotes on taking action and not giving up
1. The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. ~Walt Disney
2. Anybody who ever accomplished anything big or new or worth raising a celebratory fist in the air did it from their comfort zone. They risked ridicule and failure and sometimes even death. ~Jen Sincero
3. Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way, you’re right. ~Henry Ford
4. The woman I am today would like to thank the woman I was 5 years ago for not giving up. You’re awesome. ~Iva Ursano
5. I’ll try is the battle cry of wimps. ~Tony Robbins
6. You must be the change you wish to see in the world ~Ghandi
7. If you judge people, you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa
8. Those who dare to fail miserably, can achieve greatly. ~John Kennedy
10. I want to be in the arena. I want to be brave with my life. And when we make the choice to dare greatly, we sign up to get our asses kicked. We can choose courage, or we can choose comfort, but we can’t have both. Not at the same time. ~Brené Brown
10 famous quotes on life
11. There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. ~Maya Angelou
12. If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have, you’ll never have enough. ~Oprah Winfrey
13. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. ~Lao Tzu
14. The mind is everything. What you think you become. ~Buddha
15. Everything you do and every decision you make should be from a place of good. You should always be striving to make the world a better place. ~Les Brown
16. You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
17. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too. ~Paulo Coelho
18. When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. ~Franklin D.Roosevelt
19. If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill
20. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ~George Bernard Shaw
10 famous quotes on success
21. The secret of getting ahead is getting started. ~Mark Twain
23. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. ~Martin Luther King Jr
24. Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies. ~Nelson Mandela
25. If you surround yourself with positive people who build you up, the sky’s the limit. ~Joel Brown
26. Tough times never last but tough people do. ~Robert H. Schuller
27. You miss 100% of the shots you never take. ~Wayne Gretzky
28. If you’re going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill
29. I have not failed. I just found 10,000 that won’t work. ~Thomas A. Edison
30. Often our most rewarding dreams are staring us right in the face but for some reason we focus on how hard things are, how we are scared of the unknown and what would happen if we failed. ~Joel Brown
Write them out!
I always tell people to write that out and stick it in a place you will see it and read it everyday. That’s how quotes work.
My favourite famous quote of all time and one you should read over and over again, Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way you’re right. Read that when self doubt creeps in.
7 Quotes Every High Achiever Must Remember
Since the pandemic started, I have struggled both professionally and personally. When I am not in the mood to read a book, an article or watch a motivational video, I turn to inspirational quotes. They are usually concise, insightful and they always provide me with the instant morale boost I crave. (more…)
40 Inspirational Quotes on Victory That Will Motivate You to Win
Who doesn’t love to win? Victory gives a heroic feeling that allows winners to appear at the top after all of the hours of hard work, dedication and discipline. And everyone looks up to them, from the athletes we adore to the hard-working entrepreneurs we admire. (more…)
10 Life Changing Quotes That Helped Me Create A Meaningful Life
Meaning isn’t something you stumble upon. It’s something you consciously build into your life. Its foundation rests on your experiences, beliefs, and core values. The people you love, the things you cherish, and what you’re willing to sacrifice make up who you are. (more…)
5 Changes in Your Habits That Will Help You Thrive
The Biggest Man-Made Myth and What You Can Do About It
Why “No Pain, No Gain” Is More Powerful Than You Realize
4 Reinvention Strategies Leaders Can Learn From Legally Blonde
What I Learned as a Young Entrepreneur and Why You Should Take Notes
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Life3 weeks ago
5 Ways to Rediscover Your Purpose in Life
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
4 Non-Financial Factors to Measure Success as an Entrepreneur
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
4 Tips for Making the Leap From Employee to Entrepreneur
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
5 Dos and Don’ts When Starting a Business With a Friend
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
How Are You Defining Your Success as an Entrepreneur?
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
5 Things I’ve Learnt From Selling Private Jets to 7 Figure Coaching Programs
- Entrepreneurs3 weeks ago
5 Strategies for Building the Ultimate Company Culture
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
How I Turned an Unpaid Internship Into a Business