Buddhism has been around for over 2,500 years and is a way of life that about 300 million people around the world follow.
At the age of 35, Gautama left the palace walls where he had grown up and ventured into the real world to walk his own spiritual path. Sitting under a Bodhi tree until he became enlightened, ‘Buddha’ attracted a following and dedicated the rest of his life teaching the path of enlightenment and awakening to them.
Buddhism is a very calm, peaceful and fair way of life and these Buddha quotes encompass the philosophy of Buddha’s teachings.
Here are 70 of The Best and Highly Shared Buddha Quotes to enlighten your mind and soul.
The Top 70 Buddhist Quotes:
1. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” – Buddha
2. “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.” – Buddha
3. “Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” – Buddha
4. “In the end these things matter most: How well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?” – Buddha
5. “There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.” – Buddha
6. “Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.” – Buddha
7. “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.” – Buddha
8. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” – Buddha
9. “If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another.” – Buddha
10. “Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” – Buddha
11. “There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.” – Buddha
12. “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” – Buddha
13. “However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?” – Buddha
14. “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” – Buddha
15. “Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.” – Buddha
16. “To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.” – Buddha
17. “To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.” – Buddha
18. “The mind is everything. What you think you become.” – Buddha
19. “Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it” – Buddha
20. “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
21. “Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.” – Buddha
22. “When you dig a well, there’s no sign of water until you reach it, only rocks and dirt to move out of the way. You have removed enough; soon the pure water will flow.” – Buddha
23. “Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.” – Buddha
24. “You only lose what you cling to.” – Buddha
25. “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.”
26. “We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” – Buddha
27. “It is better to travel well than to arrive.” – Buddha
28. “Doubt everything. Find your own light.” – Buddha
29. “The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.” – Buddha
30. “Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” – Buddha
31. “A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.” – Buddha
32. “Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.” – Buddha
33. “In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.” – Buddha
34. “Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.” – Buddha
35. “There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed.” – Buddha
36. “All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?” – Buddha
37. “Purity or impurity depends on oneself, No one can purify another.” – Buddha
38. “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” – Buddha
39. “True love is born from understanding.” – Buddha
40. “To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others” – Buddha
41. “You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.” – Buddha
42. “There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.” – Buddha
43. “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Buddha
44. “Pain is certain, suffering is optional.” – Buddha
45. “Long is the night to him who is awake; long is a mile to him who is tired; long is life to the foolish who do not know the true law.” – Buddha
46. “To understand everything is to forgive everything” – Buddha
47. “An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.” – Buddha
48. “When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky” – Buddha
49. “Patience is key. Remember: A jug fills drop by drop.” – Buddha
50. “Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.” – Buddha
51. “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” – Buddha
52. “A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.” – Buddha
53. “Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.” – Buddha
54. “Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.” – Buddha
55. “Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.” – Buddha
56. “In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.” – Buddha
57. “If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.” – Buddha
58. “The darkest night is ignorance” – Buddha
59. “I never see what has been done, I only see what remains to be done.” – Buddha
60. “Happiness will never come to those who fail to appreciate what they already have.” – Buddha
61. “Nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded.” – Buddha
62. “People with opinions just go around bothering each other.” – Buddha
63. “If anything is worth doing, do it with all your heart.” – Buddha
64. “It is easy to see the faults of others, but difficult to see one’s own faults.” – Buddha
65. “If you don’t tend to one another, who then will tend to you?” – Buddha
66. “Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.” –Buddha
67. “That deed is not well done, if one has to repent for having done it, and if, with a tearful face, one has to weep as a result of that deed.” – Buddha
68. “Understanding is the heartwood of well-spoken words.”- Buddha
69. “Speak only endearing speech, speech that is welcomed. Speech, when it brings no evil to others, is a pleasant thing.”- Buddha
70. “Radiate boundless love towards the entire world…” – Buddha
55 of the Best Johnny Depp Quotes to Inspire You Today
Johnny Depp, famous for his portrayal of strange and eccentric characters, is undoubtedly one of the most popular stars in Hollywood. But his real life has also been as strange as anything. Johnny Depp has faced many hardships starting from his teenage years. Before he became a big thing in Hollywood, he used to make ends meet by selling pens and having odd end jobs. So, yes, he has had his fair share of struggles. But today, he is rated as one of the most successful actors in Hollywood. (more…)
54 Joe Rogan Quotes That Will Motivate You to Greatness
Joe Rogan is a stand-up comedian, a figure in the MMA space, and former host of Fear Factor. But Rogan is more recognized his famous podcast The Joe Rogan Experience which is at the top of many iTunes charts. Each week, Joe Rogan sits down with a public figure to have a raw conversation to discuss their story, passions, and life in general. These people range from actors & scientists, to controversial figures in the news. Rogan is well known for dropping knowledge bombs in his show and is respected & looked up to by people in a variety of spaces as a motivational & inspirational figure. (more…)
27 Cristiano Ronaldo Quotes That Will Sow the Seeds of Success in Your Life
Cristiano Ronaldo is inarguably, one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen. He is currently at the top of his game but his rise to prominence was far from ease. The Portuguese star has had his fair share of struggles but his thirst for perfection kept him going and made him the greatest of all time. (more…)
6 Inspiring Quotes From Lucille Ball That Will Motivate You to Stand Out and Reach for the Stars
The original “Queen of Comedy” Lucille “Lucy” Ball, continues to be an icon of fiery sass and humor for every generation. Her timeless comedic talent still sets the standard for those desiring to follow in her celebrated entertainment footsteps.
Here are six inspiring quotes from her that will motivate you to stand out from the crowd and never give up on your dreams:
1. “One of the things I learned the hard way, was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
In business and our personal lives, we are bombarded daily by outward criticism and inward self-doubt. In order to realise the success we strive for and attain the goals we hope to achieve, it’s important to practice a strong positive outlook.
Although Ball was known for being an inherently shy girl, when she was 15 years old, she convinced her mom to allow her to attend New York Drama School. The administrator of the school, unable to see the talent hidden behind the shyness, wrote to her mother telling her not to “waste her money and the school’s time with this shy, awkward young lady.”
Refusing to be deterred by the shortsighted criticism, Ball dug in her heels, overcame her shyness, and went on to become the talented comedic actress and icon we know and love today. Just imagine how unfortunate it would have been if she had taken the negative criticism to heart and decided to give up her passion.
2. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work—and realising what is opportunity and what isn’t.”
Today, we are very much conditioned to expect instant gratification in all areas of life. It’s important to remember, however, that true personal and professional success is achieved through tenacity and hard work. Very seldom does “luck” play a substantial role in building a solid and promising future.
Few people may realise that beyond the laughter and crazy shenanigans that Ball is so well known for, she was a trailblazing businesswoman who mapped out her professional path and keenly took advantage of opportunities that came her way.
Behind the scenes, she was co-creator, owner, and partner of Desilu Productions with her husband, Desi Arnaz. I Love Lucy was the first real sitcom developed by a husband and wife team, and under Desilu Studios, the show pioneered the multi-camera shot and filmed in front of a live audience—something no one else was doing at the time.
Being a female owner of a film production company in the 1960s was unprecedented. But, Ball didn’t stop there. Instead, she would eventually buy out Desi and become the first female CEO of a major television and movie production company. Her hard work and perseverance created a legacy to last for generations.
3. “I’d rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven’t.”
Regrets are a fact of life both personally and professionally. However, most of us would probably admit that we learned some valuable things about ourselves from past mistakes and mishaps. Most would agree that our biggest regrets are related to the opportunities and experiences that we didn’t seize when we had the chance.
Ball’s career in the entertainment world was full of various ups and downs that included many B movies and lackluster performances. However, she continued to forge ahead learning from each and every experience. She was forty years old when she finally hit her stride and began her journey with I Love Lucy. Ball didn’t let the fact that Hollywood considered her to be “old” to stop her from fulfilling her dreams.
Instead of letting the long road of disappointments and closed doors discourage her, Ball refused to give up and found a way to create her own destiny and achieve the success that she had worked so hard for.
4. “I dyed my hair this crazy red to bid for attention. It has become a trademark, and I’ve got to keep it this way.”
We live in a culture where most of us just want to fit in. There is a pressure to conform to a set of expectations in both our professional and personal lives. However, it’s often when we take a risk to set ourselves apart, that doors of opportunities and experiences open for us.
For example, Ball’s natural hair colour was a light to medium brown with reddish tones. Early in her career, she bleached it blonde in hopes of being able to compete with the plethora of bombshell blondes of the era. She eventually realised, however, she needed to stand out, not blend in!
In a past interview, Ball is quoted stating, “Not being a beauty, I hated any part in a picture which depended on beauty. I resented work where looks were that important. There are so many glamour girls that I felt it was silly for me to try to compete with them.”
Dyeing her natural brown hair the colour red was one of the greatest risks Ball took early in her career, but it became one of the late comedian’s most beautiful physical features that helped her stand out and succeed in Hollywood. She shared, “I had to learn to concentrate on developing my personality—to have an individual approach. The way you feel about yourself has a lot to do with the impression you make.”
5. “The more things you do, the more you can do.”
We should never stop striving to learn new skills and grow in knowledge. Taking the steps to constantly evolve in our understanding of our professional and personal life—as well as the world around us—helps build a firm foundation for our present and future.
Ball was a true pioneer for the women of her time. She was not afraid to tackle new things or learn more about the production and business side of her career even though she was encroaching on a man’s world at the time. She knew that any knowledge she gained about the entertainment business would help ensure her future success.
For example, behind the scenes, Ball was an integral part of the business operations of Desilu Productions. She was one of the final voices in all decisions made regarding the show and the production company. And it didn’t stop there. In front of the camera, she portrayed a determined woman diligently trying to work outside of the home in various careers while still tackling the responsibilities of being a housewife and a mother. To put it simply, she just wasn’t scared to try something new.
It’s important to not let fear of failure, or the unknown, deter us from taking chances to break the mould and step out of our comfort zone. The possibilities for growth, success, and achievement are endless.
6. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
It’s quite profound how much we can learn from the fortitude and spunk exuded from Lucille Ball, the “Queen of Comedy.” As we’ve seen through these quotes, Ball refused to let others dictate who she would become or what she would achieve. Instead, she had a firm grasp on her own self-worth and was determined to forge ahead to fulfill her dreams.
She demonstrated that self-confidence and inner strength are vital to professional and personal success—a lesson that we would all be wise to remember.
Which one of the above Lucille Ball quotes was your favorite and why? Share your thoughts with us below!
The Main Reason Why You’re Consistently Losing Sales
6 Simple but Effective Ways You Can Get the Very Best From Your Team
Do Not Let Fear Beat You: 6 Ways to Boost Your Courage Right Now
5 Ways to Supercharge Your Teams Motivation With Mindfulness
8 Life Changing Benefits of Journaling Daily
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
(Images) 56 Inspirational Picture Quotes That Will Motivate Your Mind, Body & Soul
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
7 Ways to Make Yourself Better at Managing Your Money
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
The Daily Routines of 35 Wildly Successful Women Throughout History
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
A Salesman’s Guide to Everyday Conversation With Strangers
- Motivation3 weeks ago
How Positive Self-Talk Boosts Motivation and Productivity
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
Embrace a Growth Mindset to Achieve an Infinite Amount of Success
- Life3 weeks ago
3 Keys to Getting the Results You Want in Life
- Success Advice2 weeks ago
7 Key Elements to Changing Your Mind to a Business Mindset
- Life3 weeks ago
4 Quick Tips to Overhaul Your Mindset With Ease