Wouldn’t it be awesome to hear what one of the greatest coaches on self-development had to say about gratitude? Well, here’s your chance.
The world-famous Dale Carnegie is an American author, lecturer, and a developer of renowned courses in public speaking, salesmanship, corporate training, self-improvement, and interpersonal skills. His most notable pieces of work “How to Win Friends and Influence People”, a best seller, and How to Stop Worrying and Start Living.
Here are 9 of Dale Carnegie’s most powerful quotes on gratitude:
1. “Remember, happiness doesn’t depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely upon what you think. So start each day by thinking of all the things you have to be thankful for.”
If your happiness is dependent on what you have or who you are, then you’re standing in quicksand. It’s a dangerous place to be and one that you need to leave asap. Being grateful turbocharges your happiness, therefore, improving your wellbeing. You can achieve this by keeping a journal and each day writing the things you’re thankful for.
2. “When ill luck besets us, to ease the tension we have only to remember that happiness is relative. The next time you are tempted to grumble about what has happened to you, why not pause and be glad that it is no worse than it is.”
Misfortunes are guaranteed to happen in our lives. When they do, the easiest route is to complain about these harsh experiences. What we don’t realize is that there’s always the potential of an incident being far worse than it is. So be grateful that whatever misfortune you’re experiencing is not of bigger magnitude.
3. “Try leaving a trail of little sparks of gratitude on your daily trips. You will be surprised how they will set small flames of friendship that will be rose beacons on your next visit.”
Whenever you’re grateful, you become appreciative. As a result, it helps us build new relationships and deepen existing ones. Besides, new opportunities tend to come knocking on your door when we appreciate other people’s contributions.
4. “Let’s not expect gratitude. Then, if we get some occasionally, it will come as a delightful surprise. If we don’t get it, we won’t be disturbed. It is natural for people to forget to be grateful; so, if we go around expecting gratitude, we are headed straight for a lot of heartaches.”
Expectations are the breeding ground for disappointments. When you expect everyone to be grateful for something you have done for them, then you’re setting yourself up for constant heartbreaks. What you can do instead is give your best in whatever you engage in. That way, you will walk away fulfilled you gave it your all whether you’re appreciated or not.
5. “Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.”
We’ve all been there. Life sometimes throws at you all manner of curveballs, and it’s frustrating. The good news is, there’s always a spark to be grateful for in the seemingly unending darkness. It could be a supportive partner or friend who has stood by you all along. Yes, it could be hard, but it’s worth a try. It could be the lifeline you need to keep going.
6. “Today is our most precious possession. It is our only sure possession.”
It sounds cliche, but we miss it all the time. You’re either regretting the past or fearful and anxious about what the future holds. The simple truth is, the only gift we have is today. The best we can do is surrender and commit to the present, and life will take care of the rest.
7. “The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way.”
It’s easy to think you’re a failure because you made a mistake. It’s what the world will tell you. What they don’t tell you is that you have gained experience. You get to know what works, and what doesn’t and this increases your chances of achieving success. Be grateful for those mistakes you have made along the way because they’re the foundation on which your success is built.
8. “Many people think that if they were only in some other place, or had some other job, they would be happy. Well, that is doubtful. So get as much happiness out of what you are doing as you can and don’t put off being happy until some future date.”
It happens all the time. You tend to postpone your happiness to a future date when you achieve something. The downside is that it robs you of the joy of enjoying the present. Maybe you’re not where you desire to be in this journey of life, and it’s okay because we are all a work in progress. Don’t discard those goals but instead do yourself a favor by being fully immersed in the present and find the things you are grateful for at this stage in life.
9. “If only the people who worry about their liabilities would think about the riches they do possess, they would stop worrying.”
By default, we tend to worry about what we don’t have and forget the treasures we possess. In whatever situation you’re in, there’s always something to be grateful for. A little tweak on your mindset is all you need.
Gratitude is about shifting your mindset and seeing the goodness in your life. It may be difficult at the start, especially if you’re at your lowest, but don’t give up just yet because there’s a ray of hope.
The above gratitude quotes by Dale Carnegie will guide you on the path towards a richer, content, and more fulfilling life. The question is, what’s stopping you?
30 Most Famous Quotes of All Time to Motivate You
It seems in the last decade or so, motivational quotes and inspirational quotes are front and center on Facebook and Instagram feeds. It’s no wonder why. They really do have that impactful kick to make you get up and do stuff!
I know for me, it was all these quotes that I kept reading that:
- pushed me out of my comfort zone
- gave me courage to smash goals
- helped me believe in myself
- soothed my broken heart sometimes
- helped me out of rock bottom, and
- kept me strong in times of trouble
Legends like Les Brown, Joel Brown and Tony Robbins motivated the crap out of me. I stayed strong and focused because of their powerful words. I mean, they did quote all these inspirational words to motivate us, no?
Of course they did. So I’ve searched high and low for the best and most empowering famous quotes of all time in hopes they inspire you like they did me.
Do quotes really help?
The answer is yes and no. No they won’t work if you read them, brush them off and never feel the power of their words.
Yes they will work if you make them work for you and you want them too. Quotes are like affirmations. Many of us recant affirmations either as part of our morning routine, evening routine or just whenever we need a boost.
When you read them and repeat them out loud and feel each and every word in every ounce of your being, they work!! Besides, I’m living proof they help. Empowering quotes have helped me out of rock bottom twice, depression a few times, and helped me smash and achieve goals.
So yes, they work. And these most famous quotes I’ve chosen are famous for a reason. They have inspired, motivated and empowered millions of people around the world to chase their dreams, believe in themselves and never give up.
Without further ado…
10 famous quotes on taking action and not giving up
1. The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. ~Walt Disney
2. Anybody who ever accomplished anything big or new or worth raising a celebratory fist in the air did it from their comfort zone. They risked ridicule and failure and sometimes even death. ~Jen Sincero
3. Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way, you’re right. ~Henry Ford
4. The woman I am today would like to thank the woman I was 5 years ago for not giving up. You’re awesome. ~Iva Ursano
5. I’ll try is the battle cry of wimps. ~Tony Robbins
6. You must be the change you wish to see in the world ~Ghandi
7. If you judge people, you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa
8. Those who dare to fail miserably, can achieve greatly. ~John Kennedy
10. I want to be in the arena. I want to be brave with my life. And when we make the choice to dare greatly, we sign up to get our asses kicked. We can choose courage, or we can choose comfort, but we can’t have both. Not at the same time. ~Brené Brown
10 famous quotes on life
11. There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. ~Maya Angelou
12. If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have, you’ll never have enough. ~Oprah Winfrey
13. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. ~Lao Tzu
14. The mind is everything. What you think you become. ~Buddha
15. Everything you do and every decision you make should be from a place of good. You should always be striving to make the world a better place. ~Les Brown
16. You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
17. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too. ~Paulo Coelho
18. When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. ~Franklin D.Roosevelt
19. If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill
20. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ~George Bernard Shaw
10 famous quotes on success
21. The secret of getting ahead is getting started. ~Mark Twain
23. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. ~Martin Luther King Jr
24. Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies. ~Nelson Mandela
25. If you surround yourself with positive people who build you up, the sky’s the limit. ~Joel Brown
26. Tough times never last but tough people do. ~Robert H. Schuller
27. You miss 100% of the shots you never take. ~Wayne Gretzky
28. If you’re going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill
29. I have not failed. I just found 10,000 that won’t work. ~Thomas A. Edison
30. Often our most rewarding dreams are staring us right in the face but for some reason we focus on how hard things are, how we are scared of the unknown and what would happen if we failed. ~Joel Brown
Write them out!
I always tell people to write that out and stick it in a place you will see it and read it everyday. That’s how quotes work.
My favourite famous quote of all time and one you should read over and over again, Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way you’re right. Read that when self doubt creeps in.
7 Quotes Every High Achiever Must Remember
Since the pandemic started, I have struggled both professionally and personally. When I am not in the mood to read a book, an article or watch a motivational video, I turn to inspirational quotes. They are usually concise, insightful and they always provide me with the instant morale boost I crave. (more…)
40 Inspirational Quotes on Victory That Will Motivate You to Win
Who doesn’t love to win? Victory gives a heroic feeling that allows winners to appear at the top after all of the hours of hard work, dedication and discipline. And everyone looks up to them, from the athletes we adore to the hard-working entrepreneurs we admire. (more…)
10 Life Changing Quotes That Helped Me Create A Meaningful Life
Meaning isn’t something you stumble upon. It’s something you consciously build into your life. Its foundation rests on your experiences, beliefs, and core values. The people you love, the things you cherish, and what you’re willing to sacrifice make up who you are. (more…)
5 Changes in Your Habits That Will Help You Thrive
The Biggest Man-Made Myth and What You Can Do About It
Why “No Pain, No Gain” Is More Powerful Than You Realize
4 Reinvention Strategies Leaders Can Learn From Legally Blonde
What I Learned as a Young Entrepreneur and Why You Should Take Notes
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Life3 weeks ago
5 Ways to Rediscover Your Purpose in Life
- Entrepreneurs3 weeks ago
4 Non-Financial Factors to Measure Success as an Entrepreneur
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
4 Tips for Making the Leap From Employee to Entrepreneur
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
5 Dos and Don’ts When Starting a Business With a Friend
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
How Are You Defining Your Success as an Entrepreneur?
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
5 Things I’ve Learnt From Selling Private Jets to 7 Figure Coaching Programs
- Entrepreneurs3 weeks ago
5 Strategies for Building the Ultimate Company Culture
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
How I Turned an Unpaid Internship Into a Business