Winston Churchill was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. He was also an officer of the British Army, author and artist.
Check out Winston Churchill’s quotes below:
60 Powerful Winston Churchill Quotes:
1. “Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” – Winston Churchill
2. “History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” – Winston Churchill
3. “If you have an important point to make, don’t try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time – a tremendous whack.” – Winston Churchill
4. “Never, never, never give in!” – Winston Churchill
5. “Before you can inspire with emotion, you must be swamped with it yourself. Before you can move their tears, your own must flow. To convince them, you must yourself, believe.” – Winston Churchill
6. “The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.” – Winston Churchill
7. “Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.” – Winston Churchill
8. “In the course of my life, I have often had to eat my words, and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet.” – Winston Churchill
9. “We are all worms, But I do believe that I am a glow worm.” – Winston Churchill
10. “Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it.” – Winston Churchill
11. “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.” – Winston Churchill
12. “You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” – Winston Churchill
13. “My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” – Winston Churchill
14. “An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.” – Winston Churchill
15. “I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.” – Winston Churchill
16. “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.” – Winston Churchill
17. “Success is not final…Failure is not fatal…it’s the courage to continue that counts” – Winston Churchill
18. “It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.” – Winston Churchill
19. “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” – Winston Churchill
20th Winston Churchill Quote – “All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.” – Winston Churchill
21. “You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.” – Winston Churchill
22. “A good speech should be like a woman’s skirt; long enough to cover the subject and short enough to create interest.” – Winston Churchill
23. “Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body; it calls attention to the development of an unhealthy state of things. If it is heeded in time, danger may be averted; if it is suppressed, a fatal distemper may develop.” – Winston Churchill
24. “To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.” – Winston Churchill
25. “The most important thing about education is appetite.” – Winston Churchill
26. “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” – Winston Churchill
27. “Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.” – Winston Churchill
28. “Personally, I’m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.” – Winston Churchill
29. “Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” – Winston Churchill
30. “We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.” – Winston Churchill
31. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill
32. “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.” – Winston Churchill
33. “Good and great are seldom in the same man. ” – Winston Churchill
34. “A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.” – Winston Churchill
35. “We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out.” – Winston Churchill
36. “However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.” – Winston Churchill
37. “When you get a thing the way you want it, leave it alone.” – Winston Churchill
38. “Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.” – Winston Churchill
39. “A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril.” – Winston Churchill
40th Winston Churchill Quote – “Difficulties mastered are opportunities won.” – Winston Churchill
41. “We are still masters of our fate. We are still captains of our souls.” – Winston Churchill
42. “There is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.” – Winston Churchill
43. “A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” – Winston Churchill
44. “Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.” – Winston Churchill
45. “I pass with relief from the tossing sea of Cause and Theory to the firm ground of Result and Fact.” – Winston Churchill
46. “Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential.” – Winston Churchill
47. “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
48. “It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.” – Winston Churchill
49. “For myself I am an optimist – it does not seem to be much use to be anything else.” – Winston Churchill
50. “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.” – Winston Churchill
51. “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” – Winston Churchill
52. “Out of intense complexities, intense simplicities emerge.” – Winston Churchill
53. “If you are going through hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill
54. “Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” – Winston Churchill
55. “The price of greatness is responsibility.” – Winston Churchill
56. “You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.” – Winston Churchill
57. “Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people’s idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” – Winston Churchill
58. “Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” – Winston Churchill
59. “The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” – Winston Churchill
60. “Doubts [can] be swept away only by deeds.” – Winston Churchill
What’s your favorite Winston Churchill Quote? Share your favorite quote in the comment section below.
55 of the Best Johnny Depp Quotes to Inspire You Today
Johnny Depp, famous for his portrayal of strange and eccentric characters, is undoubtedly one of the most popular stars in Hollywood. But his real life has also been as strange as anything. Johnny Depp has faced many hardships starting from his teenage years. Before he became a big thing in Hollywood, he used to make ends meet by selling pens and having odd end jobs. So, yes, he has had his fair share of struggles. But today, he is rated as one of the most successful actors in Hollywood. (more…)
54 Joe Rogan Quotes That Will Motivate You to Greatness
Joe Rogan is a stand-up comedian, a figure in the MMA space, and former host of Fear Factor. But Rogan is more recognized his famous podcast The Joe Rogan Experience which is at the top of many iTunes charts. Each week, Joe Rogan sits down with a public figure to have a raw conversation to discuss their story, passions, and life in general. These people range from actors & scientists, to controversial figures in the news. Rogan is well known for dropping knowledge bombs in his show and is respected & looked up to by people in a variety of spaces as a motivational & inspirational figure. (more…)
27 Cristiano Ronaldo Quotes That Will Sow the Seeds of Success in Your Life
Cristiano Ronaldo is inarguably, one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen. He is currently at the top of his game but his rise to prominence was far from ease. The Portuguese star has had his fair share of struggles but his thirst for perfection kept him going and made him the greatest of all time. (more…)
6 Inspiring Quotes From Lucille Ball That Will Motivate You to Stand Out and Reach for the Stars
The original “Queen of Comedy” Lucille “Lucy” Ball, continues to be an icon of fiery sass and humor for every generation. Her timeless comedic talent still sets the standard for those desiring to follow in her celebrated entertainment footsteps.
Here are six inspiring quotes from her that will motivate you to stand out from the crowd and never give up on your dreams:
1. “One of the things I learned the hard way, was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
In business and our personal lives, we are bombarded daily by outward criticism and inward self-doubt. In order to realise the success we strive for and attain the goals we hope to achieve, it’s important to practice a strong positive outlook.
Although Ball was known for being an inherently shy girl, when she was 15 years old, she convinced her mom to allow her to attend New York Drama School. The administrator of the school, unable to see the talent hidden behind the shyness, wrote to her mother telling her not to “waste her money and the school’s time with this shy, awkward young lady.”
Refusing to be deterred by the shortsighted criticism, Ball dug in her heels, overcame her shyness, and went on to become the talented comedic actress and icon we know and love today. Just imagine how unfortunate it would have been if she had taken the negative criticism to heart and decided to give up her passion.
2. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work—and realising what is opportunity and what isn’t.”
Today, we are very much conditioned to expect instant gratification in all areas of life. It’s important to remember, however, that true personal and professional success is achieved through tenacity and hard work. Very seldom does “luck” play a substantial role in building a solid and promising future.
Few people may realise that beyond the laughter and crazy shenanigans that Ball is so well known for, she was a trailblazing businesswoman who mapped out her professional path and keenly took advantage of opportunities that came her way.
Behind the scenes, she was co-creator, owner, and partner of Desilu Productions with her husband, Desi Arnaz. I Love Lucy was the first real sitcom developed by a husband and wife team, and under Desilu Studios, the show pioneered the multi-camera shot and filmed in front of a live audience—something no one else was doing at the time.
Being a female owner of a film production company in the 1960s was unprecedented. But, Ball didn’t stop there. Instead, she would eventually buy out Desi and become the first female CEO of a major television and movie production company. Her hard work and perseverance created a legacy to last for generations.
3. “I’d rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven’t.”
Regrets are a fact of life both personally and professionally. However, most of us would probably admit that we learned some valuable things about ourselves from past mistakes and mishaps. Most would agree that our biggest regrets are related to the opportunities and experiences that we didn’t seize when we had the chance.
Ball’s career in the entertainment world was full of various ups and downs that included many B movies and lackluster performances. However, she continued to forge ahead learning from each and every experience. She was forty years old when she finally hit her stride and began her journey with I Love Lucy. Ball didn’t let the fact that Hollywood considered her to be “old” to stop her from fulfilling her dreams.
Instead of letting the long road of disappointments and closed doors discourage her, Ball refused to give up and found a way to create her own destiny and achieve the success that she had worked so hard for.
4. “I dyed my hair this crazy red to bid for attention. It has become a trademark, and I’ve got to keep it this way.”
We live in a culture where most of us just want to fit in. There is a pressure to conform to a set of expectations in both our professional and personal lives. However, it’s often when we take a risk to set ourselves apart, that doors of opportunities and experiences open for us.
For example, Ball’s natural hair colour was a light to medium brown with reddish tones. Early in her career, she bleached it blonde in hopes of being able to compete with the plethora of bombshell blondes of the era. She eventually realised, however, she needed to stand out, not blend in!
In a past interview, Ball is quoted stating, “Not being a beauty, I hated any part in a picture which depended on beauty. I resented work where looks were that important. There are so many glamour girls that I felt it was silly for me to try to compete with them.”
Dyeing her natural brown hair the colour red was one of the greatest risks Ball took early in her career, but it became one of the late comedian’s most beautiful physical features that helped her stand out and succeed in Hollywood. She shared, “I had to learn to concentrate on developing my personality—to have an individual approach. The way you feel about yourself has a lot to do with the impression you make.”
5. “The more things you do, the more you can do.”
We should never stop striving to learn new skills and grow in knowledge. Taking the steps to constantly evolve in our understanding of our professional and personal life—as well as the world around us—helps build a firm foundation for our present and future.
Ball was a true pioneer for the women of her time. She was not afraid to tackle new things or learn more about the production and business side of her career even though she was encroaching on a man’s world at the time. She knew that any knowledge she gained about the entertainment business would help ensure her future success.
For example, behind the scenes, Ball was an integral part of the business operations of Desilu Productions. She was one of the final voices in all decisions made regarding the show and the production company. And it didn’t stop there. In front of the camera, she portrayed a determined woman diligently trying to work outside of the home in various careers while still tackling the responsibilities of being a housewife and a mother. To put it simply, she just wasn’t scared to try something new.
It’s important to not let fear of failure, or the unknown, deter us from taking chances to break the mould and step out of our comfort zone. The possibilities for growth, success, and achievement are endless.
6. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
It’s quite profound how much we can learn from the fortitude and spunk exuded from Lucille Ball, the “Queen of Comedy.” As we’ve seen through these quotes, Ball refused to let others dictate who she would become or what she would achieve. Instead, she had a firm grasp on her own self-worth and was determined to forge ahead to fulfill her dreams.
She demonstrated that self-confidence and inner strength are vital to professional and personal success—a lesson that we would all be wise to remember.
Which one of the above Lucille Ball quotes was your favorite and why? Share your thoughts with us below!
6 Things Remarkably Successful Entrepreneurs Do
5 Secrets to Being a Leader Worth Following
The Real Reason You’re Not Living the Life of Your Dreams
Your Enthusiasm Will Make A Difference
6 Ways to Balance a 9-5 and a Work From Home Job at the Same Time
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
(Images) 56 Inspirational Picture Quotes That Will Motivate Your Mind, Body & Soul
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Life4 weeks ago
The 3 Meta-Skills You Need to Learn to Achieve Anything in Life
- Life4 weeks ago
4 Unusual Ways to Identify Your Strengths When You’ve Tried Everything Else
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
How to Have More Money: 5 Secrets You Need to Know to Be Wealthy
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
10 Things You Can Start Doing Today to Succeed With ZERO Talent
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
7 Ways to Make Yourself Better at Managing Your Money
- Success Advice2 weeks ago
The Daily Routines of 35 Wildly Successful Women Throughout History
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
6 Tips for CEOs to Master Work-Life Balance
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
4 Signs You Need Support in Your Business & How to Pinpoint Where You Need It