Serena Williams is an American professional tennis player who is ranked #1 in women’s singles tennis.
The Women’s Tennis Association has ranked her #1 in singles on six separate occasions. She has won the French Open, Wimbledon, and Olympic women’s singles and doubles champion. She also has a total of 21 Grand Slam singles titles and 13 Grand Slam doubles titles.
Serena Williams is regarded as the greatest female tennis player of all time.
Here are 61 dominant Serena Williams quotes:
1. “I’m really exciting. I smile a lot, I will a lot, and I’m really sexy.” – Serena Williams
2. “The success of every woman should be the inspiration to another. We should raise each other up. Make sure you’re very courageous: be strong, be extremely kind, and above all be humble.” – Serena Williams
3. “I just hate to lose. When I am on the court, it is like my life depends on it.” – Serena Williams
4. “I can’t become satisfied, because if I get satisfied, I’ll be like, “Oh, I’ve won Wimbledon, I’ve won the U.S. Open. Now can I relax.” But now people are really going to be fighting to beat me.” – Serena Williams
5. “I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.” – Serena Williams
6. “I just never give up. I fight to the end. You can’t go out and say, ‘I want a bag of never-say-die spirit.’ It’s not for sale. It has to be innate.” – Serena Williams
7. “We all know who the real number one is. Quite frankly, I’m the best in the world.” – Serena Williams
8. “Family’s first, and that’s what matters most. We realize that our love goes deeper than the tennis game.” – Serena Williams
9. “With a defeat, when you lose, you get up, you make it better, you try again. That’s what I do in life, when I get down, when I get sick, I don’t want to just stop. I keep going and I try to do more. Everyone always says never give up but you really have to take that to heart and really do never definitely give up. Keep trying.” – Serena Williams
10. “I am lucky that whatever fear I have inside me, my desire to win is always stronger.” – Serena Williams
11. “Think of all the girls who could become top athletes but quit sports because they’re afraid of having too many defined muscles and being made fun of or called unattractive.” – Serena Williams
12. “I don’t like to lose-at anything… Yet I’ve grown most not from victories, but setbacks. If winning is God’s reward, then losing is how he teaches us.” – Serena Williams
13. “Nothing comes to a sleeper but a dream.” – Serena Williams
14. “If Plan A isn’t working, I have Plan B, Plan C, and even Plan D.” – Serena Williams
15. “Victory is very, very sweet. It tastes better than any dessert you’ve ever had.” – Serena Williams
16. “There’s always another record, then there’s always another person to catch up with or to pass.” – Serena Williams
17. “Growing up I wasn’t the richest, but I had a rich family in spirit. Standing here with 19 championships is something I never thought would happen. I went on a court just with a ball and a racket and with a hope.” – Serena Williams
18. “You have to believe in yourself when no one else does.” – Serena Williams
19. “I always believe I can beat the best, achieve the best. I always see myself in the top position.” – Serena Williams
20th Serena Williams Quote -“I think in life you should work on yourself until the day you die.” – Serena Williams
21. “Luck has nothing to do with it, because I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come.” – Serena Williams
22. “I’ve had to learn to fight all my life – got to learn to keep smiling. If you smile things will work out.” – Serena Williams
23. “Since I don’t look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that. To be different. But different is good.” – Serena Williams
24. “Tennis just a game, family is forever.” – Serena Williams
25. “Everyone’s dream can come true if you just stick to it and work hard.” – Serena Williams
26. “I’ve always considered myself the best and the top. I never considered that I was out of it.” – Serena Williams
27. “I’ve always been a fighter and I’ve always fought through things my whole life.” – Serena Williams
28. “I’m not used to crying. It’s a little difficult. All my life I’ve had to fight. It’s just another fight I’m going to have to learn how to win, that’s all. I’m just going to have to keep smiling.” – Serena Williams
29. “I love who I am, and I encourage other people to love and embrace who they are. But it definitely wasn’t easy – it took me a while.” – Serena Williams
30. “If you can keep playing tennis when somebody is shooting a gun down the street, that’s concentration.” – Serena Williams
31. “If anything, you know, I think losing makes me even more motivated.” – Serena Williams
32. “I decided I can’t pay a person to rewind time, so I may as well get over it.” – Serena Williams
33. “I don’t know if I’ve had my share of drama, but I’ve definitely had my share of hard times.” – Serena Williams
34. “Luck has nothing to do with it.” – Serena Williams
35. “Family’s first, and that’s what matters most. We realize that our love goes deeper than the tennis game.” – Serena Williams
36. “I am not a robot. I have a heart and I bleed.” – Serena Williams
37. “To this day, I don’t love my arms. People want more fit arms, but my arms are too fit. But I’m not complaining. They pay my bills.”– Serena Williams
38. “I’m an athlete and I’m black, and a lot of black athletes go broke. I do not want to become a statistic, so maybe I overcompensate. But I’m paranoid. Oprah told me a long time ago, ‘You sign every check. Never let anyone sign any checks.’” – Serena Williams
39. “You can be whatever size you are, and you can be beautiful both inside and out. We’re always told what’s beautiful and what’s not, and that’s not right.” – Serena Williams
40th Serena Williams Quote – “I’m thankful to my family, friends, and fans for all of their support.” – Serena Williams
41. “I always say that when I’m playing well, no one can beat me. I’m not just saying that to sound full of myself or anything, but it’s true.” – Serena Williams
42. “Hopefully, we can build a rivalry and we’ll be able to do this a lot. Make a legacy, then retire champions.” – Serena Williams
43. “I want to be a giving woman and just a nice person in general.” – Serena Williams
44. “All my life I’d woken up to tennis, tennis, tennis. Even if I don’t go to practice, I’m thinking about it all day.” – Serena Williams
45. “I think a smile can make your whole body. Models, they look fabulous, but they don’t smile, and they look so mad.” – Serena Williams
46. “I try not to have too many rituals because I believe that rituals don’t help you win. I used to do rituals a lot and it was crazy.” – Serena Williams
47. “Venus told me the other day that champions don’t get nervous in tight situations. That really helped me a lot. I decided I shouldn’t get nervous and just do the best I can.” – Serena Williams
48. “Tennis is my job, but it’s not my life.” – Serena Williams
49. “When I’m down, I talk to myself a lot. I look crazy because I’m constantly having an argument with myself.” – Serena Williams
50. “I definitely have found a balance. I’ve had so many offers in the past to do different movies or different things and I always choose tournaments over it.” – Serena Williams
51. “Everything comes at a cost. Just what are you willing to pay for it?” – Serena Williams
52. “What’s going to make me happy is going on the court and holding up trophies, singles and doubles.” – Serena Williams
53. “I’m a perfectionist. I’m pretty much insatiable. I feel there’s so many things I can improve on.” – Serena Williams
54. “When you’re playing the best player in the world, you’ve got to play well.” – Serena Williams
55. “I’m definitely not a fearless individual.” – Serena Williams
56. “There’s one thing I’m really good at, and that’s hitting the ball over a net, in a box. I’m excellent.” – Serena Williams
57. “I feel as a brand I’m here to be around for a long time.” – Serena Williams
58. “I was just tired of losing… Life was passing me by.” – Serena Williams
59. “People see me on the court only as a superhero, grunting and winning. They think you’re a robot, and I’m not.” – Serena Williams
60. “I think you have to love yourself before you fall in love. I’m still learning to love myself.” – Serena Williams
61. “If I’m winning, I have to act like I’m not bored. If it’s a tough match, I have to act like I’m having a good time. I’m a drama queen.” – Serena Williams
What is your favorite Serena Williams quote? Put it in the comment section below!
55 of the Best Johnny Depp Quotes to Inspire You Today
Johnny Depp, famous for his portrayal of strange and eccentric characters, is undoubtedly one of the most popular stars in Hollywood. But his real life has also been as strange as anything. Johnny Depp has faced many hardships starting from his teenage years. Before he became a big thing in Hollywood, he used to make ends meet by selling pens and having odd end jobs. So, yes, he has had his fair share of struggles. But today, he is rated as one of the most successful actors in Hollywood. (more…)
54 Joe Rogan Quotes That Will Motivate You to Greatness
Joe Rogan is a stand-up comedian, a figure in the MMA space, and former host of Fear Factor. But Rogan is more recognized his famous podcast The Joe Rogan Experience which is at the top of many iTunes charts. Each week, Joe Rogan sits down with a public figure to have a raw conversation to discuss their story, passions, and life in general. These people range from actors & scientists, to controversial figures in the news. Rogan is well known for dropping knowledge bombs in his show and is respected & looked up to by people in a variety of spaces as a motivational & inspirational figure. (more…)
27 Cristiano Ronaldo Quotes That Will Sow the Seeds of Success in Your Life
Cristiano Ronaldo is inarguably, one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen. He is currently at the top of his game but his rise to prominence was far from ease. The Portuguese star has had his fair share of struggles but his thirst for perfection kept him going and made him the greatest of all time. (more…)
6 Inspiring Quotes From Lucille Ball That Will Motivate You to Stand Out and Reach for the Stars
The original “Queen of Comedy” Lucille “Lucy” Ball, continues to be an icon of fiery sass and humor for every generation. Her timeless comedic talent still sets the standard for those desiring to follow in her celebrated entertainment footsteps.
Here are six inspiring quotes from her that will motivate you to stand out from the crowd and never give up on your dreams:
1. “One of the things I learned the hard way, was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
In business and our personal lives, we are bombarded daily by outward criticism and inward self-doubt. In order to realise the success we strive for and attain the goals we hope to achieve, it’s important to practice a strong positive outlook.
Although Ball was known for being an inherently shy girl, when she was 15 years old, she convinced her mom to allow her to attend New York Drama School. The administrator of the school, unable to see the talent hidden behind the shyness, wrote to her mother telling her not to “waste her money and the school’s time with this shy, awkward young lady.”
Refusing to be deterred by the shortsighted criticism, Ball dug in her heels, overcame her shyness, and went on to become the talented comedic actress and icon we know and love today. Just imagine how unfortunate it would have been if she had taken the negative criticism to heart and decided to give up her passion.
2. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work—and realising what is opportunity and what isn’t.”
Today, we are very much conditioned to expect instant gratification in all areas of life. It’s important to remember, however, that true personal and professional success is achieved through tenacity and hard work. Very seldom does “luck” play a substantial role in building a solid and promising future.
Few people may realise that beyond the laughter and crazy shenanigans that Ball is so well known for, she was a trailblazing businesswoman who mapped out her professional path and keenly took advantage of opportunities that came her way.
Behind the scenes, she was co-creator, owner, and partner of Desilu Productions with her husband, Desi Arnaz. I Love Lucy was the first real sitcom developed by a husband and wife team, and under Desilu Studios, the show pioneered the multi-camera shot and filmed in front of a live audience—something no one else was doing at the time.
Being a female owner of a film production company in the 1960s was unprecedented. But, Ball didn’t stop there. Instead, she would eventually buy out Desi and become the first female CEO of a major television and movie production company. Her hard work and perseverance created a legacy to last for generations.
3. “I’d rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven’t.”
Regrets are a fact of life both personally and professionally. However, most of us would probably admit that we learned some valuable things about ourselves from past mistakes and mishaps. Most would agree that our biggest regrets are related to the opportunities and experiences that we didn’t seize when we had the chance.
Ball’s career in the entertainment world was full of various ups and downs that included many B movies and lackluster performances. However, she continued to forge ahead learning from each and every experience. She was forty years old when she finally hit her stride and began her journey with I Love Lucy. Ball didn’t let the fact that Hollywood considered her to be “old” to stop her from fulfilling her dreams.
Instead of letting the long road of disappointments and closed doors discourage her, Ball refused to give up and found a way to create her own destiny and achieve the success that she had worked so hard for.
4. “I dyed my hair this crazy red to bid for attention. It has become a trademark, and I’ve got to keep it this way.”
We live in a culture where most of us just want to fit in. There is a pressure to conform to a set of expectations in both our professional and personal lives. However, it’s often when we take a risk to set ourselves apart, that doors of opportunities and experiences open for us.
For example, Ball’s natural hair colour was a light to medium brown with reddish tones. Early in her career, she bleached it blonde in hopes of being able to compete with the plethora of bombshell blondes of the era. She eventually realised, however, she needed to stand out, not blend in!
In a past interview, Ball is quoted stating, “Not being a beauty, I hated any part in a picture which depended on beauty. I resented work where looks were that important. There are so many glamour girls that I felt it was silly for me to try to compete with them.”
Dyeing her natural brown hair the colour red was one of the greatest risks Ball took early in her career, but it became one of the late comedian’s most beautiful physical features that helped her stand out and succeed in Hollywood. She shared, “I had to learn to concentrate on developing my personality—to have an individual approach. The way you feel about yourself has a lot to do with the impression you make.”
5. “The more things you do, the more you can do.”
We should never stop striving to learn new skills and grow in knowledge. Taking the steps to constantly evolve in our understanding of our professional and personal life—as well as the world around us—helps build a firm foundation for our present and future.
Ball was a true pioneer for the women of her time. She was not afraid to tackle new things or learn more about the production and business side of her career even though she was encroaching on a man’s world at the time. She knew that any knowledge she gained about the entertainment business would help ensure her future success.
For example, behind the scenes, Ball was an integral part of the business operations of Desilu Productions. She was one of the final voices in all decisions made regarding the show and the production company. And it didn’t stop there. In front of the camera, she portrayed a determined woman diligently trying to work outside of the home in various careers while still tackling the responsibilities of being a housewife and a mother. To put it simply, she just wasn’t scared to try something new.
It’s important to not let fear of failure, or the unknown, deter us from taking chances to break the mould and step out of our comfort zone. The possibilities for growth, success, and achievement are endless.
6. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
It’s quite profound how much we can learn from the fortitude and spunk exuded from Lucille Ball, the “Queen of Comedy.” As we’ve seen through these quotes, Ball refused to let others dictate who she would become or what she would achieve. Instead, she had a firm grasp on her own self-worth and was determined to forge ahead to fulfill her dreams.
She demonstrated that self-confidence and inner strength are vital to professional and personal success—a lesson that we would all be wise to remember.
Which one of the above Lucille Ball quotes was your favorite and why? Share your thoughts with us below!
How to Have More Money: 5 Secrets You Need to Know to Be Wealthy
6 Tips for CEOs to Master Work-Life Balance
4 Signs You Need Support in Your Business & How to Pinpoint Where You Need It
7 Financial Health Strategies for Young Entrepreneurs
3 Tips To Supercharge Your Visualizations
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
(Images) 56 Inspirational Picture Quotes That Will Motivate Your Mind, Body & Soul
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Quotes3 weeks ago
54 Joe Rogan Quotes That Will Motivate You to Greatness
- Success Advice2 weeks ago
Why It’s So Important To Break Out Of Your Comfort Zone
- Motivation3 weeks ago
6 Lessons You Can Learn from The King of the Jungle
- Life3 weeks ago
3 Ways to Uncover Your Blind Spots and Live Life on Your Terms
- Quotes3 weeks ago
27 Cristiano Ronaldo Quotes That Will Sow the Seeds of Success in Your Life
- Entrepreneurs6 days ago
(Infographic) 9 of the World’s Most Influential Female Entrepreneurs
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
Why Investing in Yourself Is the Best Investment You Can Make
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
5 Ways To Prevent Burnout & Still Be Successful