If you are passionate about writing, you may as well come to a point in life where you want to quit this as a hobby. Life can get tough. There are days when you do not know how to express your feelings. There are moments when you face what is commonly known as a ‘writer’s block’ and when you get that, oh boy! It is very difficult to end the block.
Nonetheless, everyone experiences moments in life when they just want to quit things they are passionate about it and just surrender to the mediocracy. However, at the same time, we strive to improve ourselves. Constantly, we are fighting to become the better versions of ourselves. We are looking for ways and tips to improve ourselves and be better at the things we are passionate about.
If you are a writer and you are reading this article, this certainly means that you are looking for ways to inspire yourself back into the world of writing and that is perfectly alright. Writers such as Ernest Hemingway and JK Rowling at once found themselves stuck on their literary pieces.
All the great writers in the world inspired others – sometimes through their stories, sometimes through their trials in life and sometimes through the way they penned down their thoughts.
In this article, we will mention some quotes by famous writers and novelists and help you get the inspiration you are looking for. Remember, if you currently feel like you have failed, you have not. You are here reading this article only because you wanted to pick yourself back up. So, go on and let us now read some inspirational quotes that can put you on the right track. Turning to your heroes for inspiration is actually the right way to get yourself on track.
Here are 29 quotes that will inspire you to write more:
- “If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” — Stephen King
- “You should write because you love the shape of stories and sentences and the creation of different words on a page. Writing comes from reading, and reading is the finest teacher of how to write.” — Annie Proulx
- “Indeed, learning to write may be part of learning to read. For all I know, writing comes out of a superior devotion to reading.” — Eudora Welty
- “Read, read, read. Read everything — trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You’ll absorb it. Then write. If it’s good, you’ll find out. If it’s not, throw it out of the window.” — William Faulkner
“I kept always two books in my pocket: one to read, one to write in.” — Robert Louis Stevenson
- “The Six Golden Rules of Writing: Read, read, read, and write, write, write.” — Ernest Gaines
- “The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.” — Samuel Johnson
- “Read a thousand books, and your words will flow like a river.” ― Lisa See
- “One sure window into a person’s soul is his reading list.” — Mary B. W. Tabor
- “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” — Toni Morrison
- “Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don’t see any.” — Orson Scott
- “Find a subject you care about and which you in your heart feel others should care about. It is this genuine caring, not your games with language, which will be the most compelling and seductive element in your style.” — Stephen King
- “Most writers regard the truth as their most valuable possession, and therefore are most economical in its use.” — Mark Twain
- “When I sit down to write a book, I do not say to myself, ‘I am going to produce a work of art.’ I write it because there is some lie that I want to expose, some fact to which I want to draw attention, and my initial concern is to get a hearing.” — George Orwell
- “Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.” — Natalie Goldberg
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” — Allen Ginsberg
- “One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.” — Jack Kerouac
- “No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.” —Robert Frost
- “It is only by writing, not dreaming about it, that we develop our own style.” — P.D. James
- “Voice is not just the result of a single sentence or paragraph or page. It’s not even the sum total of a whole story. It’s all your work laid out across the table like the bones and fossils of an unidentified carcass.” — Chuck Wendig
- “If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it. Or, if proper usage gets in the way, it may have to go. I can’t allow what we learned in English composition to disrupt the sound and rhythm of the narrative.” — Elmore Leonard
- “Your writing voice is the deepest possible reflection of who you are. The job of your voice is not to seduce or flatter or make well-shaped sentences. In your voice, your readers should be able to hear the contents of your mind, your heart, your soul.” — Meg Rosoff
- “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” — Louis L’Amour
- “First, find out what your hero wants, then just follow him.” — Ray Bradbury
- “All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of job: It’s always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins.” — Neil Gaiman
- “It’s none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “It doesn’t matter how many book ideas you have if you can’t finish writing your book.” — Joe Bunting
So, these are some quotes by famous writers belonging to different genres of writing. Now you would understand that facing writers’ block is common, and yes, feeling that you have failed is alright as long as you pick yourself up again.
30 Most Famous Quotes of All Time to Motivate You
It seems in the last decade or so, motivational quotes and inspirational quotes are front and center on Facebook and Instagram feeds. It’s no wonder why. They really do have that impactful kick to make you get up and do stuff!
I know for me, it was all these quotes that I kept reading that:
- pushed me out of my comfort zone
- gave me courage to smash goals
- helped me believe in myself
- soothed my broken heart sometimes
- helped me out of rock bottom, and
- kept me strong in times of trouble
Legends like Les Brown, Joel Brown and Tony Robbins motivated the crap out of me. I stayed strong and focused because of their powerful words. I mean, they did quote all these inspirational words to motivate us, no?
Of course they did. So I’ve searched high and low for the best and most empowering famous quotes of all time in hopes they inspire you like they did me.
Do quotes really help?
The answer is yes and no. No they won’t work if you read them, brush them off and never feel the power of their words.
Yes they will work if you make them work for you and you want them too. Quotes are like affirmations. Many of us recant affirmations either as part of our morning routine, evening routine or just whenever we need a boost.
When you read them and repeat them out loud and feel each and every word in every ounce of your being, they work!! Besides, I’m living proof they help. Empowering quotes have helped me out of rock bottom twice, depression a few times, and helped me smash and achieve goals.
So yes, they work. And these most famous quotes I’ve chosen are famous for a reason. They have inspired, motivated and empowered millions of people around the world to chase their dreams, believe in themselves and never give up.
Without further ado…
10 famous quotes on taking action and not giving up
1. The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. ~Walt Disney
2. Anybody who ever accomplished anything big or new or worth raising a celebratory fist in the air did it from their comfort zone. They risked ridicule and failure and sometimes even death. ~Jen Sincero
3. Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way, you’re right. ~Henry Ford
4. The woman I am today would like to thank the woman I was 5 years ago for not giving up. You’re awesome. ~Iva Ursano
5. I’ll try is the battle cry of wimps. ~Tony Robbins
6. You must be the change you wish to see in the world ~Ghandi
7. If you judge people, you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa
8. Those who dare to fail miserably, can achieve greatly. ~John Kennedy
10. I want to be in the arena. I want to be brave with my life. And when we make the choice to dare greatly, we sign up to get our asses kicked. We can choose courage, or we can choose comfort, but we can’t have both. Not at the same time. ~Brené Brown
10 famous quotes on life
11. There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. ~Maya Angelou
12. If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have, you’ll never have enough. ~Oprah Winfrey
13. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. ~Lao Tzu
14. The mind is everything. What you think you become. ~Buddha
15. Everything you do and every decision you make should be from a place of good. You should always be striving to make the world a better place. ~Les Brown
16. You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
17. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too. ~Paulo Coelho
18. When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. ~Franklin D.Roosevelt
19. If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill
20. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ~George Bernard Shaw
10 famous quotes on success
21. The secret of getting ahead is getting started. ~Mark Twain
23. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. ~Martin Luther King Jr
24. Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies. ~Nelson Mandela
25. If you surround yourself with positive people who build you up, the sky’s the limit. ~Joel Brown
26. Tough times never last but tough people do. ~Robert H. Schuller
27. You miss 100% of the shots you never take. ~Wayne Gretzky
28. If you’re going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill
29. I have not failed. I just found 10,000 that won’t work. ~Thomas A. Edison
30. Often our most rewarding dreams are staring us right in the face but for some reason we focus on how hard things are, how we are scared of the unknown and what would happen if we failed. ~Joel Brown
Write them out!
I always tell people to write that out and stick it in a place you will see it and read it everyday. That’s how quotes work.
My favourite famous quote of all time and one you should read over and over again, Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way you’re right. Read that when self doubt creeps in.
7 Quotes Every High Achiever Must Remember
Since the pandemic started, I have struggled both professionally and personally. When I am not in the mood to read a book, an article or watch a motivational video, I turn to inspirational quotes. They are usually concise, insightful and they always provide me with the instant morale boost I crave. (more…)
40 Inspirational Quotes on Victory That Will Motivate You to Win
Who doesn’t love to win? Victory gives a heroic feeling that allows winners to appear at the top after all of the hours of hard work, dedication and discipline. And everyone looks up to them, from the athletes we adore to the hard-working entrepreneurs we admire. (more…)
10 Life Changing Quotes That Helped Me Create A Meaningful Life
Meaning isn’t something you stumble upon. It’s something you consciously build into your life. Its foundation rests on your experiences, beliefs, and core values. The people you love, the things you cherish, and what you’re willing to sacrifice make up who you are. (more…)
When Something Doesn’t Work, See an Opportunity Instead of Failure
Make These 4 Mindset Shifts to Optimize Yourself and Live an Incredible Life
Why Work-Life Balance Is Outdated and What to Go for Instead
3 Ways to Build a Brand Authentically While Showing Up Powerfully
How to Spend and Invest Money in Ways That Contribute to Self Worth
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
5 Leadership Lessons You Can Learn From Coach Carter
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
7 of the Most Important Leadership Competencies
- Quotes3 weeks ago
7 Quotes Every High Achiever Must Remember
- Life3 weeks ago
Self Confidence Will Take Your Life to New Heights
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
How to Master the Art of Communication
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
3 Invaluable Rules for Decision Making
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
Plan for Failure on Your Road to Success
- Entrepreneurs2 weeks ago
Entrepreneurship is the Future of Employment