Life

4 Effective Ways To Find Your True Talents

finding your true talents to be successful in life

Are you looking for the secret path to a successful life? Something you can find out there in the world – if you just keep searching for it. You see, most people make the mistake of looking outward for success opportunities.

However, the easiest and most rewarding path to success is looking within. Discovering what you have to offer to the world that nobody else can. Finding your own unique talents and sharing them in a meaningful way.

So here is a little run down on the importance of finding your true talents.

Why you need to find your talents and strengths

Most people never find their natural talents and strengths – either because they do not believe they have any or because they underestimate their importance. If you want to be successful, discovering your uniqueness is not a nice bonus – it’s a necessity. The following two examples show you why:

Your biggest room for growth lies within your talents

A common assumption in today’s society is that the key to success is fixing your weakness. People tend to think that working on what you are not good at is the fastest way to grow and develop. That’s far from the truth. Of course, you can get better at anything. Working on your weakness can help you go from bad to mediocre. But you will never be able to achieve true excellence without an underlying talent. As Markus Buckingham says: each person’s greatest room for growth is in the areas of his or her greatest strength.î So find these areas of talent and strength and capitalize on them. That way you can use your full potential.

Making use of your key differentiator

What sets you apart from everyone else is your unique personality with all the special talents and strengths that you possess. YOU are the biggest asset that you could ever have. The first step to embrace your uniqueness is being aware that you are special. You are like nobody else in this world. Nobody else has had the same experiences as you. No one has exactly the same characteristics and shares the same values. Nobody has learned all the various skills you learned. Discovering your talents and strengths means becoming more aware of who you really are. Because only when you know what makes you so unique ñ you can fully embrace and make use of it.

But what exactly is a talent?

A talent is simply a strong characteristic that you have. It’s something you naturally do, think, or feel and that can be used in a beneficial way. It is nothing you acquired in school or that was taught to you at university. A talent is just a natural pattern of thought, feeling, or behavior. Psychologists say that 90% of what you think every day is repetitive*. Meaning most of what you think today, you already thought yesterday, and 90% of these thoughts you also thought the day before … Not only are your thoughts the results of underlying patterns but also your behavior and feelings. Finding your talents is simply about discovering these most prominent patterns within you and then using it to your advantage.

Identifying your unique talents

To set yourself up for success and capitalize on the way you are, you need to identify your unique characteristics. This is a process that takes quite some time but that is definitely worth doing!

The following four ways can help you get started:

1. Find what makes you feel strong

Keep track of how you spend the next two days: What are you doing, feeling or thinking about daily? Write down everything that energizes you and makes you feel strong. It could be a particular physical activity such as meeting up and going dancing with a friend or a mental activity such as finding a solution to a difficult problem. Then when you found a few things you repeatedly do and love, dig deeper and see what part of that particular activity made you feel good.

So for example, one of my patterns is that I love learning and sharing my findings with you. That statement in itself is not quite true: I don’t like learning about everything. Give me books about personal development and I am occupied for hours feeling energized and in flow. Give me almost anything else and I am bored to hell. I like sharing what I learn but if you make me talk about it in front of a crowd, I will try to run and hide. However, sit down with me alone and I will happily talk with you for hours. These are distinct differences that are vital to know in order to make the most of my talent.

Look out for your own patterns: what are you always doing or thinking about? What can you just not help doing, thinking or feeling? Even if someone asks you not to? Often these are things that others can find quite annoying about you 😉

2. Discover what you spend your money on

Your core values are closely linked with what you spend your money and time on. Take note of what you spend your money on and look closer at what this can tell you about yourself.

For example, I spend my money on books, seminars and conferences. The types of books I buy show me what I am passionate about – namely personal development and entrepreneurship. But what’s behind it is my innate desire to learn and grow. That is a strong natural characteristic of mine, a talent that drives everything I do, how I think and how I spend my time.

If you like spending money on going out with friends, is it that you like bringing people together? Is it that you like getting attention and expressing yourself? Or maybe is it because you value deepening your pre-existing friendships? Why do you do what you do? What is behind it? The key is to keep digging deeper in order to get to the core essence of your talent patterns.

Most people, including myself in the past, make the terrible mistake of being too fast and not taking enough time to truly discover themselves. Identifying what makes you truly unique and what drives you is not a 1-minute exercise you can complete while brushing your teeth.

3. Asking others

Find out what others value most about you. What personal characteristics would describe you best? Ask your friends, partner and family members what they love most about your personality. This will not just be valuable for your self-confidence ñ it will also show you what you are likely to dismiss about yourself. You might be surprised by what you find out. Often, how you see yourself is very different to how others see you.

The problem with talents and strengths is that they are so normal to you that you tend to dismiss them. You are so used to them that you take them for granted and don’t realise that they exist and that they are your biggest asset.

4. Using personality tests

Another good way to discover your unique talents is using a personality test. One that I can recommend is the Clifton StrengthFinder which determines your top five dominant patterns. It gives you a detailed explanation of them and actionable advice about how to put them to use. The test has really opened my eyes and helped me understand my talents and myself a little better. You can buy the test as part of the book  Now, Discover Your Strengths or get it on its own.

However, don’t just use the test alone and do nothing with it. The result alone will have no impact on you or your strength development unless you use the answers as a starting point to get to know yourself better. The best would be going through the steps in the order described above. Start with self-analysis, then see if others confirm your view about yourself and lastly you can also see what personality tests reveal about you. From my experiences, this process will prove to be the most valuable one for finding your unique talents and strengths.

Let me know in the comments what you have done to identify your talents.

Do you still tend to focus on fixing your weakness or are you already developing your strengths?

*According to a research by Dr. Fred Luskin of Stanford University

Maxine runs the The Leader of Tomorrow, a personal blog that is dedicated to help you become more successful by making the most of yourself and mastering your mind. If you want to know how to use your full potential - visit her at www.theleaderoftomorrow.com for more great content.

1. Niranj

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I’m multi talented and that makes me confused what to choose… I was into teaching because I’m good in public speaking.. I’m creative and an artist.. Same time I’m an honest person who think about society.. I’m totally confused with what is my real talent

2. Munir ahmad

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:04 am

Thanks a lot!

3. David Chinaka

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Thanx so much for the talent article. Still have more personal questions to ask. Definitely need your help. May God bless

4. benjamin

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Please maxine can I chat with you personal? I really have a lot of questions to ask please.

5. George Zhoya

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Wow lm really really impressed by your article….although l already figure out my talent this article have created awareness on myself for the importance of talent…thanks for sharing with us

6. María Mateo

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:34 am

I totally agree with you.. being in the Element…Fantastic!!!

7. D.R Hadrian

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Good article ..Most useful article thank you

8. rachmad

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:13 pm

That is a brainstorm idea !, all I’ve been doing is fix my weaknesses.
    thanks

9. Sergio Rodrigues

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Great article that responds an eternal question – shoulc I fix my weaknesses or reinforce my strenghts. The answer is awesone – fixing something we are bad at just lead us from bad to mediocre.

10. Joe Ingram

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Great article Maxine; Aafter reading this I was awoken to the fact that I have spent too much time trying to “fix” my weaknesses. When operating from my strengths, I find endless energy and greater impact/effectiveness. I took the Clifton StrengthFinder assessment and will be focussing my efforts on the areas that I am already “a natural” in.

11. Jerly Dolomatan

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:38 am

what if you keep on doing things that you really don’t like…? like taking a course you don’t like?..you just do it because of your family?and even you know in your self that your talent are being useless?

• The Leader of Tomorrow

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Hey Jerly,
      I am sure your family wants to support you as much as they can by giving you advice & trying to influence you to do things that they believe are good for you. However they CAN’T know what really the best for you. If you are not happy – then you know that you are doing the wrong things. All your family wants is you to be happy – so make yourself happy by doing what you like doing. In the long run, im am sure your family will understand and support your decisions 😉

Ps: For me, a talent is just any strong characteristic – and every characteristic can be productively applied. Even characteristics that you may perceive as negative can help somebody out or can be used to do some good 😉

Maxine

12. Michele Harvey

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:33 am

I think this is fabulous and such a useful tool: “Find out what others value most about you. What personal characteristics would describe you best? Ask your friends, partner and family members what they love most about your personality,” ( #3 Asking others.) Though this activity hadn’t occurred to me, and I haven’t heard it before, it indeed makes so much sense this would be a valuable tool. Thank you

• The Leader of Tomorrow

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Hey Michele,
      Great tip #3 was helpful to you! Another great way to discover your strong patterns is by asking others what they find annoying about you.

In my definition, a talent is simply a strong characteristic and of course, that can wind people up.

For example, my friends complain about me constantly thinking about the future. I always ask “what’s next” and that really gets on their nerves. That was an easy starting point to discover myself 😉

13. Dane

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Nice article,I like it but..what to do when(in my case) someone doesnt like job that he is talented for,but likes somethig else.What to choose,and how to be successful in something you like but dont have talent for.Thats frustrating.

• The Leader of Tomorrow

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hey Dane,

Thanks for leaving a comment. In my eyes, a talent is simply a characteristic that defines and shapes you. You can use that “talent” or characteristic in a vast variety of activities and jobs. In the post above, I use the example of empathy. You can use this characteristic very well as a nurse, as a teacher or even as a leader of a large organization.

So maybe look at what characteristic is responsible for you being good at your job. Once you found that characteristic, you can see in what other roles you could apply the talent and excel.

If your job does not satisfy you, definitely see how you can change your situation – because you are not only hindering yourself but also the company you work for. If you don’t like what you do, it hard to give your best and use your full potential 😉

Really hope this helps.
      Maxine

14. Flora

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Awesome stuff Max, thanks very much for your insight more grace, I’ll try this, I have been finding it difficult to identify my talent

15. shabnam

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Indeed well written..writeups like dese help a lot in discovering oneself which probably….we miss out doing at times.this reminds me of a medical seminar I attended a yr bac…after which I finally decided to take up medicine as my career choice..u know smtimes one gets lost n is not quite. ..sure bout..if hes rite bout d choices. ..but I feel once u condition ur innerself it bcoms quite easier.i rely njoy biology as a subject….chemistry..n..physics…..welll aint my forte….but with ample practice..things get lot easier…..hope I can clr my entramce n bcom a doctor. …cos its smthin m rely passionate bout….n put all my effort in.
    I rely like the way u wrote dis post…….rely nice.
    Thanks a ton!!!!
    Ps im redin unlimited power by anthony robbins….it keeps me charged through d day.

16. The Leader of Tomorrow

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:47 am

Thanks Kartik! Good luck with it and let me know how it goes.
    If you have any questions, just contact me 🙂
    Maxine

17. Kartik

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:13 am

Hi Maxine,
    One of the best articles I ever came across in ads.
    There are some very small and unique activities which I do daily but I dont track them.This time I will dig deeper.

18. Naomi@business start ups

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Hi Maxine,

Number 2 is great…

“Discover what you spend your money on”.

I never thought of this one before. Very useful information.

Thanks

Naomi

• The Leader of Tomorrow

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:43 am

Hey Naomi,

Glad it helps!

Number 2 is often something people miss! I came across it in an exercise it did with my strength coach Johan. It was fascinating to see how money, time and values are all very closely linked.

Maxine

19. Kelvin Dorsey

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Most folk are totally clueless when it comes to knowing themselves. It’s a must for a happy and successful life IMHO. This will help a lot of peeps. Nice one Max!

• The Leader of Tomorrow

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:37 am

Hey Kelvin, cheers!
      I totally agree with you. Most people never really take the time – even though it’s so important 😉

20. Abel

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Awesome article Maxine, I`m trying to differentiate between my skills and talent.

• The Leader of Tomorrow

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:35 am

Hey Abel, thanks a lot!

I find the easiest way to differentiate between the two are looking at the following questions:

– Can it be taught?

A skill is something you can teach to other people in a way that it will allow them to receive similar results. Talents however are very strong natural patterns that you can not teach in its whole extent. You can not fully teach people how to think strategically, creatively or how to feel empathic or confident. Of course, anyone can get a little better but I am talking about a strong characteristics. Talents are “can’t help it” patterns.

– Is it transferable to other areas of your life?

A talent can be transferred to many different areas of your life whereas a skill often can’t. For example in the book “Go put your strength to work”, Marcus Buckingham talks about giving injections. The ability to do an injection is a skill, an activity than anyone can learn. However in order to give injections that are painless to the patience, you need the talent of empathy. Meaning you can sense the emotions of the other person. Real empathy is not a skill you can learn, it is just something you naturally sense and act upon. However if you are an empathic person, you will naturally use that characteristic in all areas: from dealing with clients at work, with your partner at home and even when you meet strangers in an escalator.

Hope this helps!

In this article, I write a bit more about the topic: http://goo.gl/nYgGoL

Maxine

• Abel

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Thanks….I will definitely check it out. 🙂