Marketing trailblazer David Ogilvy, has in many ways defined the business world as we know it today. Through his company Ogilvy & Mather, Ogilvy worked with countless well-known brands from Rolls Royce to Dove, crafting some of the most effective advertising campaigns ever created.
The following quotes from the father of advertising, are examples of his timeless approach to advertising and gives us a glimpse into the mind of the man himself:
1. “The more facts you tell, the more you sell. An advertisement’s chance for success invariably increases as the number of pertinent merchandise facts included in the advertisement increases.”
Ogilvy was a firm believer in providing the customer with the facts from the get-go. Of course, you’ve no doubt heard that benefits, should come before features, and Ogilvy agreed: “The key to success is to promise the consumer a benefit — like better flavour, whiter wash, more miles per gallon, a better complexion.”
But that doesn’t mean they should be substituted for the facts and features of a product or service. After all, how likely are you to buy something without having the faintest idea of what it does?
2. “Tell the truth, but make the truth fascinating.”
It’s always better to tell the truth, rather than relying on heavy-handed and misleading techniques. However, common-sense should prevail and compel you to forever remain faithful to the facts. Consumers aren’t stupid – particularly in this day and age – and if you’re bending the truth, at some point or another, you’ll come unstuck, which is a difficult position to come back from. Having said that, it doesn’t mean your truth needs to be boring, as the man himself said, make it fascinating.
3. “Another profitable gambit is to give the reader helpful advice or service. It hooks about 75 per cent more readers than copy which deals entirely with the product.”
Ogilvy defines two kinds of helpfulness:
- Helping a prospective customer understand the product
- Offering the consumer valuable advice and information free of charge
The latter point is an early iteration of content marketing. By offering someone a thought or some words of advice, free of charge, they’re much more likely to return to you in the future.
For example, Ogilvy suggested offering free recipes for companies in the food industry. This is a compelling idea, as it increases the chances of customer engagement, without focusing your marketing solely on the product itself.
4. “Unless your campaign has a big idea, it will pass like a ship in the night.”
Whether you’re writing copy, designing a new website, or undertaking any form of marketing, it’s essential to be completely transparent about your objectives. As Ogilvy elaborates: “Most campaigns are too complicated. They reflect a long list of objectives and try to reconcile the divergent views of too many executives. By attempting to cover too many things, they achieve nothing. Their advertisements look like the minutes of a committee.”
5. “You cannot bore people into buying your product; you can only interest them in buying it.”
One of the cardinal sins of marketing, and many other walks of life, is being uninteresting. In order to grab engaged interest, you need to be charismatic; there is simply no way around it when you’re trying to sell something. No matter how niche your product or service is, there will always be competition in some form, so it’s important to steal a march on them.
In order to gain people’s attention, you need to understand who they are, what they want, what interests them, and what motivates their behaviour. By gaining this valuable insight into the customer, you’ve got an excellent opportunity to speak to them about something they hold an interest in, which makes what you have to say far more appealing.
6. “The consumer isn’t a moron, she is your wife.”
This idea brings all of the previous points together, and without it, nothing much is going to happen. If you don’t take the time to understand who your customer is, there will be no big idea, you won’t be able to provide all the facts, and you certainly won’t be capturing the right kind of interest in your product or service.
You need to demonstrate that you understand your customer’s thoughts and feelings, and you know exactly what they need. You can achieve this, in Olgivy’s words by: “…writing your copy in the colloquial language which your customers use in everyday conversation.”
7. “Golden rewards await the advertiser who has the brains to create a coherent image, and the stability to stick with it over a long period.”
Ogilvy was a big advocate of brand consistency, and his ideas on this subject are still steadfast to this day. Ogilvy understood that, in order to achieve brand consistency over the long-term, you must first define exactly what your brand is with a certain amount of discipline and restraint. Ogilvy says, “Most manufacturers are reluctant to accept any limitation on the image of their brand. They want it to be all things to all people … They generally end up with a brand which has no personality of any kind, a wishy-washy neuter. No capon ever rules the roost.”
David Ogilvy based his career around 7 core principles that we’ve mentioned in this blog:
- Give the Facts
- Be Truthful
- Be Helpful
- Have a “Big Idea”
- Don’t Be Boring
- Understand Your Customer
- Stay True to Your Brand
These were covered in his book, “Confessions of an Advertising Man”, released back in 1963. And although at the time of writing, these principles are 57 years old (in actual fact, they are probably older given Ogilvy started his agency in 1949), all 7 are still incredibly essential tools in the modern marketer’s arsenal, and you’d be foolish to dismiss them.
Of the 7 quotes above, which one is your favorite and why? Share your thoughts with us below!
51 Legendary Elvis Presley Quotes
Elvis Presley’s words of wisdom through these quotes continue to inspire us to chase our dreams and never give up on our ambitions.
Elvis Presley was a true artist who believed in the power of hard work and dedication.
Let us take a cue from the King of Rock and Roll and let Elvis Presley’s quotes guide you to be the best version of yourself.
Here are 51 Inspirational Elvis Presley Quotes:
1. “I’m not trying to prove anything with my music” – Elvis Presley
2. “I don’t want to be a figurehead, I just want to be an instrument of God” – Elvis Presley
3. “I don’t want to be just a memory” – Elvis Presley
4. “A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It’s my favorite part of the business, live concerts.” – Elvis Presley
5. “I’m just a simple country boy at heart.” – Elvis Presley
6. “My work is my life, I put everything I am into it” – Elvis Presley
7. “I’m just trying to do the best I can” – Elvis Presley
8. “I’m not the kind of person who tries to be cool or trendy. I’m definitely an individual.” – Elvis Presley
9. “I’m just an ordinary person who has become a king” – Elvis Presley
10. “I’m not the kind of person who tries to be cool or trendy. I’m definitely an individual.” – Elvis Presley
11. “I’m the king of rock and roll, but I didn’t invent it” – Elvis Presley
12. “I’m not trying to be sexy. It’s just my way of expressing myself when I move around.” – Elvis Presley
13. “I’m not the kind of person who tries to be cool or trendy. I’m definitely an individual.” – Elvis Presley
14. “I’m just an entertainer, that’s all.” – Elvis Presley
15. “I try to give my audience a little of what they came for, a little of what they didn’t expect.” – Elvis Presley
16. “I’m always thinking about creating. My future starts when I wake up every morning… Every day I find something creative to do with my life.” – Elvis Presley
17. “The only thing that can change my mind is a better idea.” – Elvis Presley
18. “I don’t think I have ever been as relaxed on stage as I am now.” – Elvis Presley
19. “I’m just a simple country boy at heart.” – Elvis Presley
20. “I just want to be remembered as a good performer.” – Elvis Presley
21. “I’ve left my mark, and I hope it’s a good one” – Elvis Presley
22. “If you can’t find a good companion to walk with, walk alone, like an elephant roaming the jungle. It is better to be alone than to be with those who will hinder your progress.” – Elvis Presley
23. “I’m not a politician. I’m just an entertainer” – Elvis Presley
24. “I’m a one-man army” – Elvis Presley
25. “I’m not the kind of person who tries to be cool or trendy. I’m definitely an individual.” – Elvis Presley
Here’s an Elvis Presley Picture Quote
26. “I’m just an ordinary person who has become a king.” – Elvis Presley
27. “I’m not trying to prove anything with my music.” – Elvis Presley
28. “I don’t want to be a figurehead, I just want to be an instrument of God.” – Elvis Presley
29. “I don’t want to be just a memory.” – Elvis Presley
30. “I’m just trying to do the best I can.” – Elvis Presley
31. “I’m not a perfectionist, but I like to feel that things are done well.” – Elvis Presley
32. “I’m the first one to say I’ve made a lot of mistakes, but I’ve also had a lot of successes.” – Elvis Presley
33. “I’m always looking for new ways to express myself and push the boundaries of what I can do.” – Elvis Presley
34. “I’m not afraid to take risks and try new things, even if it means going against the norm.” – Elvis Presley
35. “I’m not just a singer, I’m an entertainer. I want to give my audience a show they’ll never forget.” – Elvis Presley
36. “I’m not in the music business for the fame or the money, I’m in it because I love it.” – Elvis Presley
37. “I’m not just a musician, I’m a storyteller. I want to take my audience on a journey through my songs.” – Elvis Presley
38. “I don’t believe in being a one-hit wonder. I want to have a long and successful career.” – Elvis Presley
39. “I’m not just a performer, I’m a student of music. I’m always learning and growing as an artist.” – Elvis Presley
40. “I’m not just a singer, I’m a performer. I want to give my audience an experience they’ll never forget.” – Elvis Presley
41. “Some people tap their feet, some people snap their fingers, and some people sway back and forth. I just sorta do ‘em all together, I guess.” – Elvis Presley
42. “Man, I was tame compared to what they do now. Are you kidding? I didn’t do anything but just jiggle.” – Elvis Presley
43. “…the image is one thing and the human being is another…it’s very hard to live up to an image.” – Elvis Presley
44. “I ain’t no saint, but I’ve tried never to do anything that would hurt my family or offend God…I figure all any kid needs is hope and the feeling he or she belongs. If I could do or say anything that would give some kid that feeling, I would believe I had contributed something to the world.” – Elvis Presley
45. “Don’t criticize what you don’t understand, son. You never walked in that man’s shoes.” – Elvis Presley
46. “When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times…I learned very early in life that: ‘Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain’t got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend – without a song.’ So I keep singing a song. Goodnight. Thank you.” – Elvis Presley
47. “A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It’s my favorite part of the business – live concerts.” – Elvis Presley
48. “The first time that I appeared on stage, it scared me to death. I really didn’t know what all the yelling was about. I didn’t realize that my body was moving. It’s a natural thing to me. So to the manager backstage I said, ‘What’d I do? What’d I do?’ And he said “Whatever it is, go back and do it again.” – Elvis Presley
49. “We do two shows a night for five weeks. A lotta times we’ll go upstairs and sing until daylight – gospel songs. We grew up with it…It more or less puts your mind at ease. It does mine.” – Elvis Presley
50. “I’ve never gotten over what they call stagefright. I go through it every show. I’m pretty concerned, I’m pretty much thinking about the show. I never get completely comfortable with it, and I don’t let the people around me get comfortable with it, in that I remind them that it’s a new crowd out there, it’s a new audience, and they haven’t seen us before. So it’s got to be like the first time we go on.” – Elvis Presley
51. “‘Til we meet again, may God bless you. Adios.” – Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley’s legacy lives on as a true icon of music and entertainment:
He left an indelible mark on the world with his unique style and undeniable talent. Elvis broke barriers and set the standard for generations to come, and his influence can still be felt in music today. He truly was the King of Rock and Roll, and his legacy will continue to inspire for many years to come.
What’s your favorite Elvis Presley quote? Share it with us below!
108 Inspirational Quotes That’ll Inspire You to Never Give Up
Over the past few years, it seems like the world is falling to pieces. There’s been COVID, wars, mass layoffs, and depression is at an all time high. During these times, it’s hard to stay strong. It can also feel like giving up is our only option. The reason why we think like this is because we end up focusing on things we cannot control, instead of on the things we can control. (more…)
77 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
Today we have decided to feature some of the world’s top inspirational life quotes for you to love, share and remember. These quotes are those little reminders we all need every now and then and some are powerful enough to inspire us for the whole week. (more…)
55 of Drake’s Most Memorable Motivational Quotes
Drake is arguably one of the best artists in music today. What a lot of people don’t know about him is his extreme motivation to reach a certain level of success, not just in music, but also in life and other business ventures he is involved in. (more…)
4 Key Areas for a Successful Marketing Strategy in 2023
7 Tips to Becoming a Successful Networker
The 2-Minute Rule: The Secret to Habit Success
The Imbalanced Problem with Work/Life Balance
How to Find the Courage to Start New
77 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
(Images) 60 Colorful Picture Quotes To Empower Your Life
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
Success Advice3 weeks ago
How to Focus Your Mind on Your Goals in 2023 Constructively
Success Advice4 weeks ago
How to Fast Track Your Career for Guaranteed Success
Life4 weeks ago
Grit: The Key to Your Ultimate Greatness
Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
How to Lose a Team in 10 Days: Are You a True Leader?
Success Advice4 weeks ago
How to Develop a Following of Passionate Fans Even Before Launch
Success Advice3 weeks ago
How to Think Like a CEO for Your Future Success
Life3 weeks ago
3 Simple Steps to Cultivate Courage and Create a Life of Meaning
Success Advice2 weeks ago
Dead Men Tell No Tales: How to Navigate a Mutiny as a Leader in 10 Steps