Flash forward 38 years from now. You’re in your dining room, sitting at the table, hands folded. Directly across from you is your granddaughter, staring at you. Intently. There is silence. And then you smile: “I want you to take this business to new heights. It’s now yours.” Your granddaughter nods her head, beaming: “I will make you proud.” Wouldn’t you like to make this a reality?
Here are 9 quotes that will inspire you to be your own boss:
1. “If you don’t build your own dreams someone will hire you to build theirs.” – Tony Gaskins
The alarm clock screams. Now it’s time to wake up. Go to work. Punch in the clock. Punch out. Go home. And then repeat the whole process. Sound familiar? And every second, you ache for that pay raise that will make life easier. Meanwhile, your boss is eating well—turning all of your hard labor into hard cash. And when she feels the time is right, she can fire you quicker than you realise.
But, with a mindset shift, you can change your circumstances. Start by planning for life outside of your job. Do you dream of controlling your schedule? Want to be in charge of your destiny? That can only happen when you become your own boss.
2. “I knew that if I failed I wouldn’t regret that, but I knew the one thing I might regret is not trying.” – Jeff Bezos
When you’re elderly, you don’t want to reminisce and say: “Damn, why didn’t I just get up off my butt and go for it?” You knew you had the talent, the gift, that spark. But you let it fizzle. Don’t become that person sitting on the rocking chair, haunted by regrets as you gaze at a clock, watching the last seconds of your life tick away.
Be that person who says: “I gave it my all. I found something that I was passionate about, and I poured my heart into it.” Become that person who looks back at your present self with pride and admiration.
3. “Life is a flash of lighting in the dark of night. It is a brief time of tremendous potential.” – B. Alan Wallace
When you were born, you graced this planet with your presence. And trust me, no hyperbole. You really are a miracle, a special force capable of all things. Heck, you made it through the gift of birth. And nothing in the world is more powerful than that. Remarkably, you beat plenty of odds to get here. Why not apply that same willpower to your business?
4. “Waste your money and you’re only out of money, but waste your time and you’ve lost a part of your life.” – Michael LeBoeuf
Time is a priceless jewel. And each second is worth ten times more than a sliver of gold. Therefore, wasted time is like money flushed down the toilet. So, remember this: you can’t get back yesterday. But you can own tomorrow. Why not lay the groundwork for starting your business? Why not invest in your future? The time is now.
5. “When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.” – Elon Musk
Odds are like eggs; if you hit them hard enough, their shells will crack. So, if you feel that the odds aren’t in your favor, then find something more potent than silly odds. Something that can motivate you to tap dance on them. And I can’t think of a stronger motivator than freedom. But you may ask: “How do I become free?” There’s only one way I can think of: by being your own boss.
But keep in mind: freedom isn’t free. You’re going to have to work for it. But it’s achievable. You’ve been a fighter your whole life. You’ve made it this far, haven’t you? Why not kick some butt to be your own boss?
6. “Think big and don’t listen to people who tell you it can’t be done. Life’s too short to think small.” – Tim Ferriss
All successful people have that same mosquito whispering in their ears: doubters. There’s always going to be naysayers out there who will tell you something is impossible. But don’t listen to them. They’re just trying to project their self-limiting thoughts onto you. So, think big. Chase your passion. Start your business.
7. “Success is the sum of small efforts – repeated day in and day out.” – Robert Collier
Consistency. Life is all about consistency. For example, one quarter may not seem like much money. But let’s say you deposit one quarter into a bank account every day for the next five years. How much would that be worth? You’d be shocked, just as you would be shocked to see the impact of consistent effort when chasing a goal—like building your own business.
8. “People capable of making enough money to never work again are the same people who will never quit working.” – Chris Dixon
It takes discipline to be able to continually clock-in and clock-out each day. I know there are days when you just want to stay in bed. Probably most days. But you still find a way to enter that battlefield—sometimes while suffering from the flu. No doubt, you’ve got heart. So, channel that same dedication to being your own boss.
9. “Don’t spend so much time trying to choose the perfect opportunity, that you miss the right opportunity.” – Michael Dell
Analysis paralysis is a virus, and the worst part is that you may not even know you’re contaminated by it. Sometimes we tend to overthink things, complicating what should be simple. We may analyze different scenarios to the point of exhaustion. Running in one place, stuck on an intellectual treadmill.
There comes a time when you must strike. If you make a mistake, recalibrate, then go for it again. But don’t stagnate. Always push forward.
Your life is yours to live so be your own boss.
Which quote inspires you the most? Let us know in the comments.
30 Most Famous Quotes of All Time to Motivate You
It seems in the last decade or so, motivational quotes and inspirational quotes are front and center on Facebook and Instagram feeds. It’s no wonder why. They really do have that impactful kick to make you get up and do stuff!
I know for me, it was all these quotes that I kept reading that:
- pushed me out of my comfort zone
- gave me courage to smash goals
- helped me believe in myself
- soothed my broken heart sometimes
- helped me out of rock bottom, and
- kept me strong in times of trouble
Legends like Les Brown, Joel Brown and Tony Robbins motivated the crap out of me. I stayed strong and focused because of their powerful words. I mean, they did quote all these inspirational words to motivate us, no?
Of course they did. So I’ve searched high and low for the best and most empowering famous quotes of all time in hopes they inspire you like they did me.
Do quotes really help?
The answer is yes and no. No they won’t work if you read them, brush them off and never feel the power of their words.
Yes they will work if you make them work for you and you want them too. Quotes are like affirmations. Many of us recant affirmations either as part of our morning routine, evening routine or just whenever we need a boost.
When you read them and repeat them out loud and feel each and every word in every ounce of your being, they work!! Besides, I’m living proof they help. Empowering quotes have helped me out of rock bottom twice, depression a few times, and helped me smash and achieve goals.
So yes, they work. And these most famous quotes I’ve chosen are famous for a reason. They have inspired, motivated and empowered millions of people around the world to chase their dreams, believe in themselves and never give up.
Without further ado…
10 famous quotes on taking action and not giving up
1. The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. ~Walt Disney
2. Anybody who ever accomplished anything big or new or worth raising a celebratory fist in the air did it from their comfort zone. They risked ridicule and failure and sometimes even death. ~Jen Sincero
3. Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way, you’re right. ~Henry Ford
4. The woman I am today would like to thank the woman I was 5 years ago for not giving up. You’re awesome. ~Iva Ursano
5. I’ll try is the battle cry of wimps. ~Tony Robbins
6. You must be the change you wish to see in the world ~Ghandi
7. If you judge people, you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa
8. Those who dare to fail miserably, can achieve greatly. ~John Kennedy
10. I want to be in the arena. I want to be brave with my life. And when we make the choice to dare greatly, we sign up to get our asses kicked. We can choose courage, or we can choose comfort, but we can’t have both. Not at the same time. ~Brené Brown
10 famous quotes on life
11. There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. ~Maya Angelou
12. If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have, you’ll never have enough. ~Oprah Winfrey
13. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. ~Lao Tzu
14. The mind is everything. What you think you become. ~Buddha
15. Everything you do and every decision you make should be from a place of good. You should always be striving to make the world a better place. ~Les Brown
16. You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
17. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too. ~Paulo Coelho
18. When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. ~Franklin D.Roosevelt
19. If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill
20. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ~George Bernard Shaw
10 famous quotes on success
21. The secret of getting ahead is getting started. ~Mark Twain
23. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. ~Martin Luther King Jr
24. Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies. ~Nelson Mandela
25. If you surround yourself with positive people who build you up, the sky’s the limit. ~Joel Brown
26. Tough times never last but tough people do. ~Robert H. Schuller
27. You miss 100% of the shots you never take. ~Wayne Gretzky
28. If you’re going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill
29. I have not failed. I just found 10,000 that won’t work. ~Thomas A. Edison
30. Often our most rewarding dreams are staring us right in the face but for some reason we focus on how hard things are, how we are scared of the unknown and what would happen if we failed. ~Joel Brown
Write them out!
I always tell people to write that out and stick it in a place you will see it and read it everyday. That’s how quotes work.
My favourite famous quote of all time and one you should read over and over again, Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way you’re right. Read that when self doubt creeps in.
7 Quotes Every High Achiever Must Remember
Since the pandemic started, I have struggled both professionally and personally. When I am not in the mood to read a book, an article or watch a motivational video, I turn to inspirational quotes. They are usually concise, insightful and they always provide me with the instant morale boost I crave. (more…)
40 Inspirational Quotes on Victory That Will Motivate You to Win
Who doesn’t love to win? Victory gives a heroic feeling that allows winners to appear at the top after all of the hours of hard work, dedication and discipline. And everyone looks up to them, from the athletes we adore to the hard-working entrepreneurs we admire. (more…)
10 Life Changing Quotes That Helped Me Create A Meaningful Life
Meaning isn’t something you stumble upon. It’s something you consciously build into your life. Its foundation rests on your experiences, beliefs, and core values. The people you love, the things you cherish, and what you’re willing to sacrifice make up who you are. (more…)
5 Changes in Your Habits That Will Help You Thrive
The Biggest Man-Made Myth and What You Can Do About It
Why “No Pain, No Gain” Is More Powerful Than You Realize
4 Reinvention Strategies Leaders Can Learn From Legally Blonde
What I Learned as a Young Entrepreneur and Why You Should Take Notes
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Life3 weeks ago
5 Ways to Rediscover Your Purpose in Life
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
4 Non-Financial Factors to Measure Success as an Entrepreneur
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
4 Tips for Making the Leap From Employee to Entrepreneur
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
5 Dos and Don’ts When Starting a Business With a Friend
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
How Are You Defining Your Success as an Entrepreneur?
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
5 Things I’ve Learnt From Selling Private Jets to 7 Figure Coaching Programs
- Entrepreneurs3 weeks ago
5 Strategies for Building the Ultimate Company Culture
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
How I Turned an Unpaid Internship Into a Business