Here are 81 of Michael Jordan’s most inspirational quotes:
1. “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
2. “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” – Michael Jordan
3. “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.” – Michael Jordan
4. “My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.” – Michael Jordan
5. “You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them.” – Michael Jordan
6. “To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don’t isolate.” – Michael Jordan
7. “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” – Michael Jordan
8. “If you quit once it becomes a habit. Never quit!” – Michael Jordan
9. “Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation.” – Michael Jordan
10. “Everybody has talent, but ability takes hard work.” – Michael Jordan
11. “I never thought a role model should be negative” – Michael Jordan
12. “To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail.” – Michael Jordan
13. “Just play, have fun, and with the game” – Michael Jordan
14. “Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.” – Michael Jordan
15. “Don’t let them drag you down by rumors just go with what you believe in.” – Michael Jordan
16. “Make it happen” – Michael Jordan
17. “If you do the work you get rewarded. There are no shortcuts in life.” – Michael Jordan
18. “I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
19. “Once I made a decision, I never thought about it again.” – Michael Jordan
20. “The minute you get away from fundamentals – whether it’s proper technique, work ethic or mental preparation – the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you’re doing.” – Michael Jordan
21. “Success isn’t something you chase. It is something you have to put forth the effort for constantly; then maybe it’ll come when you least expect it.” – Michael Jordan
22. “The key to success is failure.” – Michael Jordan
23. “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.” – Michael Jordan
24. “Learning’s a gift, even when pain is your teacher.” – Michael Jordan
25. “Failure is acceptable. but not trying is a whole different ball park.” – Michael Jordan
26. “There is no “I” in team but there is in win.” – Michael Jordan
27. “I play to win, whether during practice or a real game.” – Michael Jordan
28. “You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.”- Michael Jordan
29. “Every time I feel tired while I am exercising and training, I close my eyes to see that picture, to see that list with my name. This usually motivates me to work again.” – Michael Jordan
30. “The best come from the worst.” – Michael Jordan
31. “I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot… When you think about the consequences you will always think of the negative result.” – Michael Jordan
32. “I’ve never lost a game I just ran out of time.” – Michael Jordan
33. “I’m not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.” – Michael Jordan
34. “My body could stand the crutches but my mind couldn’t stand the sideline.” – Michael Jordan
35. “I’ve always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. I don’t do things half-heartedly. Because I know if I do, then I can expect half-hearted results.” – Michael Jordan
36. “The game is my wife. It demands loyalty and responsibility, and it gives me back fulfillment and peace.” – Michael Jordan
37. “I know fear is an obstacle for some people, but it is an illusion to me. Failure always made me try harder the next time.” – Michael Jordan
38. “It’s heavy duty to try to do everything and please everybody. My job was to go out there and play the game of basketball as best I can. People may not agree with that. I can’t live with what everyone’s impression of what I should or what I shouldn’t do.” – Michael Jordan
39. “If it turns out that my best wasn’t good enough, at least I won’t look back and say I was afraid to try.” – Michael Jordan
40. “I’ve always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come.” – Michael Jordan
41. “I realized that if I was going to achieve anything in life I had to be aggressive. I had to get out there and go for it.” – Michael Jordan
42. “Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That’s truly about the game, and in some ways that’s about life too.” – Michael Jordan
43.“Heart is what separates the good from the great.” – Michael Jordan
44. “I would tell players to relax and never think about what’s at stake. Just think about the basketball game. If you start to think about who is going to win the championship, you’ve lost your focus.” – Michael Jordan
45. “You can practice shooting 8 hours a day, but if your technique is wrong, then all you become is very good at shooting the wrong way. Get the fundamentals down and the level of everything you do will rise.” – Michael Jordan
46. “I own the guy guarding me.” – Michael Jordan
47. “The game has its ups and downs, but you can never lose focus of your individual goals and you can’t let yourself be beat because of lack of effort.” – Michael Jordan
48. “There is no such thing as a perfect basketball player, & I don’t believe there is only one greatest player either.” – Michael Jordan
49. “If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome.” – Michael Jordan
50. “You have competition every day because you set such high standards for yourself that you have to go out every day and live up to that.” – Michael Jordan
51. “I accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying” – Michael Jordan
52. “You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.” – Michael Jordan
53. “I mean we all fly. Once you leave the ground, you fly. Some people fly longer than others.” – Michael Jordan
54. “Sometimes, things may not go your way, but the effort should be there every single night.” – Michael Jordan
55. “Best evaluation I can make of a player is to look in his eyes and see how scared they are.” – Michael Jordan
56. “Winning isn’t always championships.” – Michael Jordan
57. “Sometimes you need to get hit in the head to realize that you’re in a fight.” – Michael Jordan
58. “I want to wake up every day and do whatever comes in my mind, and not feel pressure or obligations to do anything else in my life.” – Michael Jordan
59. “Enjoy every minute of life. Never second-guess life.” – Michael Jordan
60. “I believe greatness is an evolutionary process that changes and evolves era to era.” – Michael Jordan
61. “If I had been playing for money I would have complained a long time ago that I was underpaid.” – Michael Jordan
62. “Being Michael Jordan means acting the same as I always have.” – Michael Jordan
63. “My father used to say that it’s never too late to do anything you wanted to do. And he said you never know what you can accomplish until you try.” – Michael Jordan
64. “I want to be the bridge to the next generation.” – Michael Jordan
65. “When I will lose the sense of motivation and the sense to prove something as a basketball player, it’s time for me to move away from the game.” – Michael Jordan
66. “I hope the millions of people I’ve touched have the optimism and desire to share their goals and hard work and perseverance with a positive attitude.” – Michael Jordan
67. “Sometimes, things may not go your way, but the effort should be there every single night.” – Michael Jordan
68. “In reality, I never want to grow up.” – Michael Jordan
69. “How many times have your parents told you not to do things, and the next thing you know, you go do it? And you realized you shouldn’t have done it.” – Michael Jordan
70. “My heroes are and were my parents. I can’t see having anyone else as my heroes.” – Michael Jordan
71. “In college I never realized the opportunities available to a pro athlete. I’ve been given the chance to meet all kinds of people, to travel and expand my financial capabilities, to get ideas and learn about life, to create a world apart from basketball.” – Michael Jordan
72. “In any investment, you expect to have fun and make money.” – Michael Jordan
73. “For a competitive junkie like me, golf is a great solution because it smacks you in the face every time you think you’ve accomplished something. That to me has taken over a lot of the energy and competitiveness for basketball.” – Michael Jordan
74. “My challenge when I came back was to face the young talent, to dissect their games, and show them maybe that they needed to learn more about the game than just the money aspect.” – Michael Jordan
75. “Do I need my number retired throughout the course of the league to acknowledge what I’ve done? No.” – Michael Jordan
76. “I want to be perceived as a guy who played his best in all facets, not just scoring. A guy who love challenges.” – Michael Jordan
77. “I built my talents on the shoulders of someone else’s talent.” – Michael Jordan
78. “Even when I’m old and gray, I won’t be able to play it, but I’ll still love the game.” – Michael Jordan
79. “I know the signs of scaredness.” – Michael Jordan
80. “It’s absolutely wrong that I don’t want guys to challenge me. And the people who say that aren’t in the room.” – Michael Jordan
81. “Live the moment for the moment.” – Michael Jordan
Which motivational quote of Michael Jordan’s resonated with you the most? Comment below!
55 of the Best Johnny Depp Quotes to Inspire You Today
Johnny Depp, famous for his portrayal of strange and eccentric characters, is undoubtedly one of the most popular stars in Hollywood. But his real life has also been as strange as anything. Johnny Depp has faced many hardships starting from his teenage years. Before he became a big thing in Hollywood, he used to make ends meet by selling pens and having odd end jobs. So, yes, he has had his fair share of struggles. But today, he is rated as one of the most successful actors in Hollywood. (more…)
54 Joe Rogan Quotes That Will Motivate You to Greatness
Joe Rogan is a stand-up comedian, a figure in the MMA space, and former host of Fear Factor. But Rogan is more recognized his famous podcast The Joe Rogan Experience which is at the top of many iTunes charts. Each week, Joe Rogan sits down with a public figure to have a raw conversation to discuss their story, passions, and life in general. These people range from actors & scientists, to controversial figures in the news. Rogan is well known for dropping knowledge bombs in his show and is respected & looked up to by people in a variety of spaces as a motivational & inspirational figure. (more…)
27 Cristiano Ronaldo Quotes That Will Sow the Seeds of Success in Your Life
Cristiano Ronaldo is inarguably, one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen. He is currently at the top of his game but his rise to prominence was far from ease. The Portuguese star has had his fair share of struggles but his thirst for perfection kept him going and made him the greatest of all time. (more…)
6 Inspiring Quotes From Lucille Ball That Will Motivate You to Stand Out and Reach for the Stars
The original “Queen of Comedy” Lucille “Lucy” Ball, continues to be an icon of fiery sass and humor for every generation. Her timeless comedic talent still sets the standard for those desiring to follow in her celebrated entertainment footsteps.
Here are six inspiring quotes from her that will motivate you to stand out from the crowd and never give up on your dreams:
1. “One of the things I learned the hard way, was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
In business and our personal lives, we are bombarded daily by outward criticism and inward self-doubt. In order to realise the success we strive for and attain the goals we hope to achieve, it’s important to practice a strong positive outlook.
Although Ball was known for being an inherently shy girl, when she was 15 years old, she convinced her mom to allow her to attend New York Drama School. The administrator of the school, unable to see the talent hidden behind the shyness, wrote to her mother telling her not to “waste her money and the school’s time with this shy, awkward young lady.”
Refusing to be deterred by the shortsighted criticism, Ball dug in her heels, overcame her shyness, and went on to become the talented comedic actress and icon we know and love today. Just imagine how unfortunate it would have been if she had taken the negative criticism to heart and decided to give up her passion.
2. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work—and realising what is opportunity and what isn’t.”
Today, we are very much conditioned to expect instant gratification in all areas of life. It’s important to remember, however, that true personal and professional success is achieved through tenacity and hard work. Very seldom does “luck” play a substantial role in building a solid and promising future.
Few people may realise that beyond the laughter and crazy shenanigans that Ball is so well known for, she was a trailblazing businesswoman who mapped out her professional path and keenly took advantage of opportunities that came her way.
Behind the scenes, she was co-creator, owner, and partner of Desilu Productions with her husband, Desi Arnaz. I Love Lucy was the first real sitcom developed by a husband and wife team, and under Desilu Studios, the show pioneered the multi-camera shot and filmed in front of a live audience—something no one else was doing at the time.
Being a female owner of a film production company in the 1960s was unprecedented. But, Ball didn’t stop there. Instead, she would eventually buy out Desi and become the first female CEO of a major television and movie production company. Her hard work and perseverance created a legacy to last for generations.
3. “I’d rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven’t.”
Regrets are a fact of life both personally and professionally. However, most of us would probably admit that we learned some valuable things about ourselves from past mistakes and mishaps. Most would agree that our biggest regrets are related to the opportunities and experiences that we didn’t seize when we had the chance.
Ball’s career in the entertainment world was full of various ups and downs that included many B movies and lackluster performances. However, she continued to forge ahead learning from each and every experience. She was forty years old when she finally hit her stride and began her journey with I Love Lucy. Ball didn’t let the fact that Hollywood considered her to be “old” to stop her from fulfilling her dreams.
Instead of letting the long road of disappointments and closed doors discourage her, Ball refused to give up and found a way to create her own destiny and achieve the success that she had worked so hard for.
4. “I dyed my hair this crazy red to bid for attention. It has become a trademark, and I’ve got to keep it this way.”
We live in a culture where most of us just want to fit in. There is a pressure to conform to a set of expectations in both our professional and personal lives. However, it’s often when we take a risk to set ourselves apart, that doors of opportunities and experiences open for us.
For example, Ball’s natural hair colour was a light to medium brown with reddish tones. Early in her career, she bleached it blonde in hopes of being able to compete with the plethora of bombshell blondes of the era. She eventually realised, however, she needed to stand out, not blend in!
In a past interview, Ball is quoted stating, “Not being a beauty, I hated any part in a picture which depended on beauty. I resented work where looks were that important. There are so many glamour girls that I felt it was silly for me to try to compete with them.”
Dyeing her natural brown hair the colour red was one of the greatest risks Ball took early in her career, but it became one of the late comedian’s most beautiful physical features that helped her stand out and succeed in Hollywood. She shared, “I had to learn to concentrate on developing my personality—to have an individual approach. The way you feel about yourself has a lot to do with the impression you make.”
5. “The more things you do, the more you can do.”
We should never stop striving to learn new skills and grow in knowledge. Taking the steps to constantly evolve in our understanding of our professional and personal life—as well as the world around us—helps build a firm foundation for our present and future.
Ball was a true pioneer for the women of her time. She was not afraid to tackle new things or learn more about the production and business side of her career even though she was encroaching on a man’s world at the time. She knew that any knowledge she gained about the entertainment business would help ensure her future success.
For example, behind the scenes, Ball was an integral part of the business operations of Desilu Productions. She was one of the final voices in all decisions made regarding the show and the production company. And it didn’t stop there. In front of the camera, she portrayed a determined woman diligently trying to work outside of the home in various careers while still tackling the responsibilities of being a housewife and a mother. To put it simply, she just wasn’t scared to try something new.
It’s important to not let fear of failure, or the unknown, deter us from taking chances to break the mould and step out of our comfort zone. The possibilities for growth, success, and achievement are endless.
6. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
It’s quite profound how much we can learn from the fortitude and spunk exuded from Lucille Ball, the “Queen of Comedy.” As we’ve seen through these quotes, Ball refused to let others dictate who she would become or what she would achieve. Instead, she had a firm grasp on her own self-worth and was determined to forge ahead to fulfill her dreams.
She demonstrated that self-confidence and inner strength are vital to professional and personal success—a lesson that we would all be wise to remember.
Which one of the above Lucille Ball quotes was your favorite and why? Share your thoughts with us below!
6 Things Remarkably Successful Entrepreneurs Do
5 Secrets to Being a Leader Worth Following
The Real Reason You’re Not Living the Life of Your Dreams
Your Enthusiasm Will Make A Difference
6 Ways to Balance a 9-5 and a Work From Home Job at the Same Time
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
(Images) 56 Inspirational Picture Quotes That Will Motivate Your Mind, Body & Soul
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Life4 weeks ago
The 3 Meta-Skills You Need to Learn to Achieve Anything in Life
- Life4 weeks ago
4 Unusual Ways to Identify Your Strengths When You’ve Tried Everything Else
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
How to Have More Money: 5 Secrets You Need to Know to Be Wealthy
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
10 Things You Can Start Doing Today to Succeed With ZERO Talent
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
7 Ways to Make Yourself Better at Managing Your Money
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
The Daily Routines of 35 Wildly Successful Women Throughout History
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
6 Tips for CEOs to Master Work-Life Balance
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
4 Signs You Need Support in Your Business & How to Pinpoint Where You Need It