In today’s society, we are often told that diversity is a good thing. However, many don’t know what it actually means to be diverse. Diversity is the word used to describe any group of people who are different from one another and share some common ground. The definition can be broadened even further and include things like age, culture, race or ethnicity, etc., but for now, let’s stick with the basics. We live in a world where there is more than one type of person so when you talk about diversity, you’re referring to differences in attitudes and opinions as well as appearance.
As the co-author of the international bestselling book, Bias, Racism and the Brain, I have to admit that I drew inspiration from a number of sources over the course of my writing journey. I devoured books and articles about Martin Luther King, Jr., W.E.B. Du Bois, Maya Angelou, Civil Rights Activist Ron Chew, among others. Their words informed my writing, but they also opened my mind and heart to the idea that we have the power to create the sacred dream that Dr. King envisioned in his famous “I Have a Dream” speech.
Diversity and inclusion are about believing that individual differences are to be celebrated and embraced. Diversity and inclusion mean celebrating those pieces of our life that make us wonderfully different. Diversity breeds creativity, and our ability to see the world differently than others will give us a clear advantage over our competition.
So with that, here are my top 25 quotes about diversity to inspire you to think bigger and achieve more.
- “We may have all come on different ships, but we’re in the same boat now.” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves.” Galileo Galilei
- “Diversity isn’t just skin deep; it’s cultural, religious, political and beyond.” Barack Obama
- “It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” Dr. Maya Angelou
- “Diversity is not a quota, or something to check off a list; it’s an expectation.” Sundar Pichai
- “When we’re talking about diversity, it’s not a box to check. It is a reality that should be deeply felt and held and valued by all of us.” Ava DuVernay
- “The more diverse your team members are from one another, the better decisions they’ll make on behalf of your company.” Michelle Obama
- “Diversity is not about who you are or what you look like. It’s about how we think and act.” Dr. Edward Tufte
- “Everybody has a story… Once you know another person’s true story, it changes your life because you develop some empathy and it makes you a better person.” Ron Chew
- “I am grateful for my life because I have been able to do things that help people understand each other better.” Nelson Mandela
- “It’s hard to hate up close.” William Faulkner
- “I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “We are not a collection of communities from diverse backgrounds to form an alliance; we are one community.” Dr. Maya Angelou
- “The beauty in diversity is when you see people who are different from you accomplishing things that you didn’t think were possible.” John Legend
- “If your goal is to be less prejudiced than your parents, then it won’t work because they’re still going to be more prejudiced than you.” Tim Wise
- “The most diverse group will produce the best ideas.” Jack Ma
- “Diversity is never a weakness, it’s always a strength.” Tim Cook
- “Inclusion and tolerance of others does not weaken us but makes us stronger.” Dalai Lama XIV
- “You can’t separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.” Malcolm X
- “I think that the good and the great are only separated by the willingness to sacrifice.” Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
- Diversity isn’t just about who you hire or what they look like, it’s also about thinking differently as leaders in driving an innovative culture within your organization.” Satya Nadella
- “When you have people with different backgrounds working together, they come up with new ideas that no one would have thought about on their own.” Richard Branson
- “Diversity matters because if you don’t have diverse perspectives, you’ll never come up with an innovative idea for solving a problem.” Jami Miscik
- “Racism sucks, plain and simple.” Phil Dixon
- “The more diverse your team is, the greater its creativity will be.” Margaret Heffernan
In order for you to achieve all your goals in life, you must be willing to push back any notion of what society says is possible for people like you. Diversity will empower you to do great things in this world because it enables you to think big without boundaries!
30 Most Famous Quotes of All Time to Motivate You
It seems in the last decade or so, motivational quotes and inspirational quotes are front and center on Facebook and Instagram feeds. It’s no wonder why. They really do have that impactful kick to make you get up and do stuff!
I know for me, it was all these quotes that I kept reading that:
- pushed me out of my comfort zone
- gave me courage to smash goals
- helped me believe in myself
- soothed my broken heart sometimes
- helped me out of rock bottom, and
- kept me strong in times of trouble
Legends like Les Brown, Joel Brown and Tony Robbins motivated the crap out of me. I stayed strong and focused because of their powerful words. I mean, they did quote all these inspirational words to motivate us, no?
Of course they did. So I’ve searched high and low for the best and most empowering famous quotes of all time in hopes they inspire you like they did me.
Do quotes really help?
The answer is yes and no. No they won’t work if you read them, brush them off and never feel the power of their words.
Yes they will work if you make them work for you and you want them too. Quotes are like affirmations. Many of us recant affirmations either as part of our morning routine, evening routine or just whenever we need a boost.
When you read them and repeat them out loud and feel each and every word in every ounce of your being, they work!! Besides, I’m living proof they help. Empowering quotes have helped me out of rock bottom twice, depression a few times, and helped me smash and achieve goals.
So yes, they work. And these most famous quotes I’ve chosen are famous for a reason. They have inspired, motivated and empowered millions of people around the world to chase their dreams, believe in themselves and never give up.
Without further ado…
10 famous quotes on taking action and not giving up
1. The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. ~Walt Disney
2. Anybody who ever accomplished anything big or new or worth raising a celebratory fist in the air did it from their comfort zone. They risked ridicule and failure and sometimes even death. ~Jen Sincero
3. Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way, you’re right. ~Henry Ford
4. The woman I am today would like to thank the woman I was 5 years ago for not giving up. You’re awesome. ~Iva Ursano
5. I’ll try is the battle cry of wimps. ~Tony Robbins
6. You must be the change you wish to see in the world ~Ghandi
7. If you judge people, you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa
8. Those who dare to fail miserably, can achieve greatly. ~John Kennedy
10. I want to be in the arena. I want to be brave with my life. And when we make the choice to dare greatly, we sign up to get our asses kicked. We can choose courage, or we can choose comfort, but we can’t have both. Not at the same time. ~Brené Brown
10 famous quotes on life
11. There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. ~Maya Angelou
12. If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have, you’ll never have enough. ~Oprah Winfrey
13. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. ~Lao Tzu
14. The mind is everything. What you think you become. ~Buddha
15. Everything you do and every decision you make should be from a place of good. You should always be striving to make the world a better place. ~Les Brown
16. You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
17. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too. ~Paulo Coelho
18. When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. ~Franklin D.Roosevelt
19. If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill
20. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ~George Bernard Shaw
10 famous quotes on success
21. The secret of getting ahead is getting started. ~Mark Twain
23. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. ~Martin Luther King Jr
24. Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies. ~Nelson Mandela
25. If you surround yourself with positive people who build you up, the sky’s the limit. ~Joel Brown
26. Tough times never last but tough people do. ~Robert H. Schuller
27. You miss 100% of the shots you never take. ~Wayne Gretzky
28. If you’re going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill
29. I have not failed. I just found 10,000 that won’t work. ~Thomas A. Edison
30. Often our most rewarding dreams are staring us right in the face but for some reason we focus on how hard things are, how we are scared of the unknown and what would happen if we failed. ~Joel Brown
Write them out!
I always tell people to write that out and stick it in a place you will see it and read it everyday. That’s how quotes work.
My favourite famous quote of all time and one you should read over and over again, Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way you’re right. Read that when self doubt creeps in.
7 Quotes Every High Achiever Must Remember
Since the pandemic started, I have struggled both professionally and personally. When I am not in the mood to read a book, an article or watch a motivational video, I turn to inspirational quotes. They are usually concise, insightful and they always provide me with the instant morale boost I crave. (more…)
40 Inspirational Quotes on Victory That Will Motivate You to Win
Who doesn’t love to win? Victory gives a heroic feeling that allows winners to appear at the top after all of the hours of hard work, dedication and discipline. And everyone looks up to them, from the athletes we adore to the hard-working entrepreneurs we admire. (more…)
10 Life Changing Quotes That Helped Me Create A Meaningful Life
Meaning isn’t something you stumble upon. It’s something you consciously build into your life. Its foundation rests on your experiences, beliefs, and core values. The people you love, the things you cherish, and what you’re willing to sacrifice make up who you are. (more…)
3 Things Snoopy and the Third Grade Taught Me About Success
15 Leadership Lessons From the World’s Top Female Founders
Ego Contributes to Your Success and Failures
The Secret Formula for Real Financial Success
Be Like Water: 3 Martial Arts Lessons for Negotiation
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
Success Isn’t Luck, It’s Based on the Good Habits of Who We Become
- Life1 week ago
Practicing Self-Devotion: 3 Ways Towards a More Mindful and Compassionate You
- Life4 weeks ago
5 Steps to Go From Breakdown to Breakthrough
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
The Day I Stopped Selling and Built a Business
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
10 Common Leadership Myths and How to Overcome Them
- Entrepreneurs2 weeks ago
15 Ways to Become a More Successful Entrepreneur
- Motivation3 weeks ago
What Is Dark Motivation and How Can I Use It to My Advantage?
- Life3 weeks ago
5 Self-Appreciation Strategies for Overcoming Imposter Syndrome