Motivation

5 Things Mentally Tough People Don’t Do

Mental Toughness Arnold Schwarzenegger

Whether you are on the court or in the board room. Mental strength is demanded on a day to day basis for those in high profile positions. Athlete’s, CEO’s and risk hungry Entrepreneurs excel in their fields only by pursuing their goals with a thick skin and a high level of mental strength.

In this article, Sports and Performance Psychologist “Justin Sua” tells us what it takes to be mentally strong enough to take on the big wigs in the arena.

Are you mentally tough enough?

1) They don’t feel sorry for themselves

They understand that complaining doesn’t make the situation better.

They know that people won’t treat them the way they want to be treated, circumstances might not be ideal, and they will experience adversity; however, rather than complain about the negative aspects of their situation, they focus on what they want to happen and what they’re going to do about it.

2) They don’t give people power over them

They are not people pleasers.

They are relentless in their pursuit of their passion and aren’t worried about what other people think.

They give power to what they focus on, and if they waste their time focusing on the opinions of others, they lose sight of the things that will make them truly successful.

3) They don’t avoid change

They are always looking for ways to evolve. They believe that if they continue to give their best, their best will continue to get better over time.

With the competition continuing to get bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter; it’s important to have the mindset to improve by learning from successes and failures.

4) They don’t play small

The mentally tough swing for the fences and know that it might mean striking out a few times (or many times). Their purpose for achieving greatness casts away their fear of failure. They refuse to tip-toe through life, they intend on creating a legacy for the future by making an impact in the here-and-now.

5) They don’t focus on things they can’t control

They refuse to waste time focusing on things they can’t control because there is nothing they can do about it!

They understand that the less control a person feels the more susceptible they are to making poor decisions, falling into bad habits, and crumbling under pressure.

Muhammad Ali mental strength

Justin Su'a in an expert in sport and performance psychology, the author of, "Parent Pep Talks” and the Head of Mental Conditioning at the IMG Academy, the world-leading provider of athletic and personal development training programs for youth, adult, collegiate and professional athletes, located in Bradenton, Florida. Follow Justin on Twitter: @justinsua

1. @StephenGopaul

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:37 am

Short and sweet.

2. skipprichard1

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:12 am

I appreciate this list for its simplicity and directness. Obviously there are exceptions, but these are the bold moves to move you forward. This is particularly a good list to review when you are tentative and slow to act.

3. David King

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:06 am

I wonder where that puts someone like me, that literally loves the discomfort of training.

4. Dionne

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:13 am

Change is good! Change is what makes you grow as a person. Always like changing!

5. e lugsdin

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:27 pm

First of all you need the body and other attributes to be a pro dancer for instance.. There are some people even with all the teaching and effort will never make it. so people need to focus on their potential and it may lay in other areas. This is where our education fails all but the mainstream candidates. Attitude and focus will never help you if you are in the wrong areas. The influence on genetic advantage will always mean that in all areas of competition certain individuals will always struggle to attain the success they expect from all of their training education and experience. The real skill is recognising the appropriate area to concentrate efforts.

6. Anthony

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Gary and David, this will be my last response as we both have opinions that can’t seem to see eye to eye……we’ll agree to disagree, yea?.

I would however love for you to please explain to me (because you keep comparing it to sports where drugs ARE illegal and it IS cheating) how it is ill ethical or cheating when it is NOT banned and EVERYONE in the sport is using it LEGALLY. It is like calling Usain Bolt a cheat for wearing shoes even though everyone else is and it is a legal to do.

Sports where PEID’s are banned (Athletics, Baseball etc.) = Cheating
    Sports where PEID’s are legal and uniformally taken amongst competitors (Mr Olympia Bodybuilding Competition) = Not cheating

I don’t know how to simplify that anymore for you guys who keep calling Arnold a cheat for taking PEID’s in bodybuilding.

His infidelity (which I have repetitively stated I don’t condone) has nothing to do with the content in this article or his sporting success.

I do wish you guys all the best in finding someone as successful as Arnold or Ali, to provide you with inspiration who haven’t made poor choices in their personal lives.

• Gary

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:28 am

Fair call Anthony. Healthy debate is always good

7. TJ Hale (@SharkTankPdCast)

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Great article – I will be linking to it in my newsletter. NUmber 1 & 2 could fix most people’s problems.

TJ

8. Derek Neighbors

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Justin. Spot on.

9. anaris

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Wait… you think that people who start off powerless but end up controlling things don’t think about the things they can’t yet control?

Because that is pretty much what half of all inventors do, let alone entrepreneurs and investors. Obsessive pursuit of dreams and goals that are currently out of reach is the central force of success for many people.

• Wen Mei

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I don’t think that kind of control is meant. Rather, you cannot control *everything* in your environment *ever* (what will happen by chance, the people and their actions and choices around you etc) So why bother trying to control situations or people out of fear for an (otherwise) negative outcome. It doesn’t serve anyone. Least of all yourself.

Well that was how I read it 🙂

• YourMom

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Those were obviously things they COULD control.

10. vinodha

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:28 pm

motivating

11. Bdibur

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:19 am

The article is about success and achievement. Obviously, there has to be an equal – OR HIGHER – attention given to the personal growth and development of a human aspect. But the advice in that regard wouldn’t be much different – it takes just as much determination and effort to Love Your Neighbor As Yourself.

12. Gary

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:55 am

What? Anthony Your quote (People need to differentiate personal life actions and business/career achievements) NO they shouldn’t and NO they don’t. Clearly your self perceived clever attacks on people with different views here require you to return a comment each time someone has their say that u don’t agree with. Business/career different from personal life actions? Thats humorous. Drug cheats are drug cheats and because others are doing it, doesn’t make it right. The article is quite good but the image doesn’t support the message. That’s the point originally made. If u wanna argue his success no problem. But u can’t take bits if a journey and make excuses for the rest.

13. Sonia

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:31 am

So I presume we are only discussing sporting, entrepreneurial success. Relationship and lifeskills also require self discipline and focus. Arnie does not tick all of the boxes but I guess it depends on what your aspirations are.

14. Tom Gerace

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:43 am

Kinda depends on your definition of success doesn’t it? If fame and glory at any cost is your idea of a life well lived I personally believe you are helping to drive the wagon of societal decline…..

15. Anthony

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Scott…….EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE he ever competed against in professional bodybuilding was on performance enhancing drugs. It is a part of the trade, it wasn’t a question of sacrificing ‘ethics’. Also, if you think for a second that just because Arnold was on PIED’s meant he didn’t work hard tells me you are even more ignorant than your initial post suggests.

Another thing, I can’t understand why his infedelity keeps being brought up either. Yes, it is a terrible thing to do but I can’t see what that has to do with what and how he has achieved what he has? People need to differentiate personal life actions and business/career achievements.

P.S. Great article.

• David

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Anthony, this is what you are saying in simplified form:

#6 Do whatever it takes to win, that includes cheating if need be.

Maybe you’re right. Peds have been working out great for athletes of all kinds like baseball players. Its just sad when a true great like Babe Ruth never needed them and was hugely successful and now his records are challenged by cheaters.

Also, how you conduct your self in your personal life will always end up affecting your business life eventually.

• Ty

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Forget the article. Great f#!@ing comment.

16. Richard Bilodeau

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Thank you for sharing your success strategy, I have used the self confidence exercise and I tell the truth, it works.

17. Scott

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Can one truly be called a ‘success’ who has to sacrifice their ethics to win?

What does it say about efforts of a man that works hard, but is defeated by someone using performance enhancing drugs?

• sylverg

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:41 am

If you were faced with the same temptations and opportunities and if your life were put under as much scrutiny as Arnold’s life, would it hold up to the lofty billing you claim?

Perhaps, but then again perhaps not.

It’s kind of comparing Bob, who can’t get a girl, vs a monk who makes a chastity vow. Both are virgins but only one of them can take pride in it.

Eden would have been a lot less challenging for Eve had there been no apple tree.

I just watched Day 4 of the World Judo Championships and I have seen many many mistakes that I know I wouldn’t have made. Mentally, I am screaming “don’t let that hand through, you will get choked out”, “Left! Go left, can’t you see that’s his weak side?”, “Foot sweep incoming in 3, 2, 1… splash – how did you not see that coming?”. I was right most of the time too. The girl did get choked out a couple seconds later, the guy failed his throw and got countered.

I knew better. I was right. I would probably have made none of those mistakes… but I would have made so many other mistakes that it’s unlikely I could win a match against any of the guys on the mat. Starting with the fact that I train less in a week than they do in a day.

We love to point out the faults of the rich and famous, and tell ourselves that we would never have made those blatant mistakes. And that’s quite possible. But most of us make so many other blatant mistakes that we don’t even get in a position where our mistakes make the news.

Not only that but a lot of our mistakes come from not even trying. There goes a beautiful girl, a successful model, a top athlete, etc., and she smiles at you and she seems to like the look of you, and you can’t work out the guts to walk over. So you smile and you look away. You don’t take the chance and tell yourself that’s all right because ____(insert a stupid excuse here). Could be the worst mistake of your life right here, but it’s never going to be in the papers. You did was the “polite” thing to do, nobody will even notice you missed the love of your life. .

If you do have the guts to try, maybe it doesn’t work out. Maybe you misunderstood and she was smiling to someone else and she laugh that you might have thought yourself worthy of her attention. People call you a creep.

It’s way safer to remain “politely” out of the way and criticizes the guys who do try. To be in the sideline and tell your friends about that “creep” who tried to flirt with a star.

You criticize Arnold and the guy has done some pretty stupid things indeed, but what about you? What have you done or failed to do?

18. Anthony

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:44 am

Marita, are you serious?…..

Arnold: -The best in the world for his chosen field (bodybuilding) for many years
    – One of the most successful actors of the 90’s
    – Successful real estate and business investor
    – Elected Governor of one of largest economies in the world.

Do I think some of the decisions he’s made in his personal life been the most moral? Not at all.

Although it’s something l personally strive to do in my own life, this site isn’t dedicated to providing inspiration for living the most ethical lives we can. It’s a source of inspiration for people looking to SUCCEED and I think Arnold is an excellent role model for someone looking to do that.

19. Marita

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:51 am

Liked the message, the photo-examples, not so much.

Arnold gropes women, has illegitimate children while married, and took so many performance-enhancing drugs that he spends many hours a week in dialysis.

Muhammad Ali–yes, live the rest of your life brain-damaged. . .

• FTW

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:01 pm

What an ignorant comment.
      What does achieving success have to do with personal vices?
      Arnold set 3 goals in his life:
      To be Mr. Olympia (which he did 7 times)
      To be an action move star (speaks for itself)
      To be a politician

Performance enhancing drugs are the norm in that industry, if you’re not on them, you’re not going to win.
      So he wasn’t faithful to his wife, does that mean his success is written off?

Both of these men have achieved far more than you ever will.
      Keep your negativity to yourself.

• Matt

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:19 pm

At what cost to their personal life and their character? Who cares if you are “successful” but in the wake of your success destroy the only true thing that will last for eternity: our relationships with people.
        I thought these tips were so-so. The last one concerns me because it is telling people to ignore the things we cannot control. MOST OF LIFE IS OUT OF OUR CONTROL. No one can even control whether or not our heart keeps beating. This just seems to encourage people to focus on the shallow aspects of life without paying attention to the spiritual implications of our daily decisions. Which is why our 20-somethings and younger have a yolo attitude and avoid thinking about the more deeper issues of life.
        Tip #6 Don’t waste your life on things that won’t matter 1,000 years from now (1,000 years from now no one will know who Arnold or Ali is).

• Frederick Henderson

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

Thank you Matt, I had a great time reading your comment, my abs still hurt.

• Evan

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm

That’s faulty logic. The whole YOLO attitude is that you should make whatever decisions you feel like making and not worry about the consequences. But you have control over whether you sleep with a girl without a condom or whether you jump off a 3 story building into a pool. Saying that you shouldn’t worry about things you can’t control doesn’t mean you should put yourself in situations where your fate is out of your control. You have control over whether you are in those situations or not.

Instead, the point of #5 is that instead of sitting around praying that your dream company is going to find your resume on monster, you should go out and try to schedule a meeting with the hiring manager and do whatever you can to try to further your chances. When people sit around stressing and hoping for good things to come to them, they can start to become indifferent and believe that they have no control over their lives. This can lead to depression and that’s when people start to develop poor habits like drug use.

Yes, most things are out of your control, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t do everything you can to try to help yourself. If you want to find the girl of your dreams, go out and talk to girls instead of sitting on your ass hoping she’ll just come and ring your doorbell one day. If you want to become a good athlete, go to the gym and workout instead of praying that a top physical trainer will show up at your house and decide to whip you into shape. If you have a goal, do everything that is in your control to try to make it come true. That’s the mentality of a champion.

• Emily

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I agree. This is someone’s opinion on what they consider “tough.” The world is full of complex people. Entrepreneurs and those who focus their energy on business success are not the gold standard. The examples listed don’t include people who worked hard to make a deep positive impact on the world, but rather did whatever it took to meat their own desires/goals.

• savage

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Ignore haters like this loser. Focus on positive things. Rule #5

• Baby Spice

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:11 am

The main issue is that you should never compromise your health for success.Taking drugs for whatever cause is just plain foolish and -paradoxically- testifies to your desire to please others and be admired by masses at your own expense (or resolving some childhood trauma/trying to prove something to your dad etc etc etc). Humility and knowing your limits is the great absence on the list. It is humility that ultimately makes you immune to any form of (sometimes disguised) self-destruction in the long term.

• freddy

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:36 pm

“… They are not people pleasers. They are relentless in their pursuit of their passion and aren’t worried about what other people think” 😉

• dstar

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:13 am

rule number 2

20. Ale Montemayor

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I really liked this article.

Motivation

Embrace The Suck.

Embrace the Suck

I suck at spreadsheets.
I suck at maths because numbers do my head in.
I suck at attending meetings because I just want action.

You will suck at your first blog post.
You will suck at your first startup, and the one after that, and so on.
You will suck at giving your first speech.

We all suck 24/7.

None of us are 100% motivated all the time.
None of us get anything right the first time – unless it’s a fluke.

We all have nightmares of our failures.
We all secretly want to be perfect – even me.

It’s time to embrace the suck.

A lot about life F*cking sucks hard.

My #EmbraceTheSuck story (thanks Sina Fak for the idea) was failing at high school and dropping out. After a break, I went back and finished high school, and the only subjects I excelled at were music and English.

Even though the headmaster told me I’d always be a no good, punk a$$, drop out, I proved him wrong.

I used my expertise in English to become a blogger and that’s why I’m writing these words to you right now.

I failed in the short-term, but by persevering at school, it eventually led me to right now. I could have done nothing and become a bum. I could have listened to my headmaster and agreed with him.

I knew that I was destined to do something big and I believe the movement I’m creating right now is part of my crazy goal to change the world.

All of us can succeed when we embrace the suck and persevere.

“We can listen to our critics or we can lift the middle finger at them and keep going”

Making it through the suck made me smarter, more courageous and it helped me build a newfound resilience.

How do we embrace the suck?

1. Be prepared to fail.
2. Look like an idiot.
3. Be willing to start at the bottom
4. Persevere
5. Challenge the critics

When everything sucks, get back up.
Have a second go even if there’s no reason too.
Back yourself and believe you can push through the suck.

Embrace the suck is a call to action.

It’s about being prepared to eat sh*t because the upside makes it worth it. It’s about doing what so many are not prepared to do because you believe in yourself.

It’s about taking action and executing instead of being a daydreamer and being stuck in a foreplay of ideas, dreams, goals that never happen.

Starting at the bottom and sucking harder is how you get to the top.

Once you arrive at the top, make sure you help other people who are embracing the suck.

Let’s all commit to doing more things that suck and being okay with it. Let’s challenge each other to be courageous.

If I can go from being a high school dropout to making something of myself, then why the heck can’t you?

Embrace the suck because that’s what the people you idolize and anyone you’ve ever looked up to did.

Embracing the suck is part of life.

“Hello, adversity. Come at me!”

One day you’ll look back on all the sucky moments and be proud.

That’s the cherry on top of the cake right there.

That is all the motivation you need to embrace the suck.

If you want to increase your productivity and learn some more valuable life hacks, then join my private mailing list on timdenning.net

Motivation

Keep Going – Never Give Up. Good People Are Always Rewarded.

Last week there was some real lows. This week there have been some major highs.

At one point, it looked like my career was down the toilet. Everything I worked for looked like it was done.

The reality is that when you hit a low point, there’s always an upside. The point where you want to give up is just the beginning of something new and amazing. When you hit that low, it’s so easy to want to give up.

You feel like you can’t go on and the odds are stacked against you.

Everything and everyone feel like they are working against your vision for your life. Most of all, you don’t know why you’ve suddenly hit this giant low point that feels like it’s going to last forever.

Your motivation is non-existent; you get out of bed and feel like crap; you’re not sure what today will mean – or the next for that matter.

All of this is fine. No, I’m not giving you some empty promise or meaningless reason to go on. What I’m telling you is that you must keep going. Even though you feel like you can’t, you must!

“All of these low points mean something. All of these low points turn into one giant moment of triumph if you keep stacking them up like shot glasses after a big night”

Good people are rewarded.

As long as you do your absolute best to be a good person, eventually your life will change.

All those small things you did for people will be remembered.
Someone will give you a chance and believe in you.
An opportunity will come from nowhere that you never expected.

Rewards always come for those who have earned it. How do you earn those rewards? By being a kind, humble and good person that serves the greater good. Let’s dumb it down further. You get the rewards by:

1. Helping people who have nothing
2. Smiling at as many people as you can
3. Answering messages on social media and helping people without getting anything in return
4. Staying positive through books and blogs like this
5. Waiting out the winter cold for summer to come into your life again

This list of five things is how you remain a good person through the chaos that we all experience. Many people say “That sounds easy Tim, but it’s harder than you think.”

That’s why I’ve made it practical with these five points.

How my luck changed this week.

I followed this formula I’ve laid out, and this week my luck changed. All of a sudden, I got multiple opportunities to do work that I love and get paid well for it so that I can focus on my blogging.

The messages I got with these opportunities all started with something like this:

“Thank you for sharing your story and having the guts to do so. You’ve inspired me and I appreciate it. I’d love to chat to you about opportunity X. Are you free for a few minutes?”

Then I got two more emails from television networks wanting me to spread some inspiration on their respective shows.

Your luck will change and opportunities will be presented to you if you keep going, never give up and continue being a good person.

It’s a long road towards getting up close and personal with your most important goal but if you stay the path, stay focused and be the person that makes you proud, it will happen.

Keep going.

So, if you’ve ever felt like I felt when my career went down the toilet last week, or you’re feeling that way right now, you must keep going.

I believe you can get what you seek if you remain focused and don’t let the negative emotions in your head take over. I know it’s tough but that’s no excuse. If you want your goals bad enough, then you’ll keep motivated to push through the rejection and failure.

Use selflessness to change your perspective. Look at yourself in the third person. See who you are now and who you can be. All of us can be leaders and when we look at ourselves without our self-talk and ego’s in the way, we can see who we really are.

Dare to dream a little. Don’t be afraid to think big. If you have crazy, audacious goals, then that’s even better.

Don’t be talked out of your mission.
Let your passion rip through the barriers that stand in your way.

Never give up. Keep going.

Motivation

We All Have It Tough – It’s What You Do With The Struggle.

Lots of my people who read my stuff email me with their struggles. They’re hoping that I will be blown away by how hard they’ve had it. They think it’s some sort of competition to see who has the most battle scars.

By reading so many of these emails of struggle over the last few years, I realized something: we all have it tough. All of us struggle – even me.

– Right now, I have 14 days left until I’ll be out of a job.
– I’ve got some very challenging personal issues to deal with.
– My investments need a major rework and I’m completely lost.

I’ve been offered an opportunity to do public speaking to a large audience and am scared of whether I should say yes. Do I have what it takes? Will I mess it up?

We all have it tough.

What I’ve learned is it’s what you do with the struggle that will define your future.

Are you going to sit there and take it?

That’s right I’m asking you right now. What are you going to do with the struggles?

There are only two options:

1. Toughen up and use the struggles as motivation
2. Be a piss weak, sook, and give up.

Your struggles can take you to a new level. When George Lucas tried to make Star Wars, it was a total F*ck up. Everything went wrong. There were natural disasters, lack of money and even the actors thought it was the worse film ever to be made.

Did the creator of the Jedi Knight give up?

Not a chance. He kept going and defied the odds. His reward? One of the most watched movies of all time and plenty of cash to go with it.

You may still be thinking option two is your only hope. Maybe you could be piss weak and just give up. Then you could sit on the couch, watch Netflix, drink wine and pretend that your struggles didn’t stop you from achieving your goals.

The good news is giving up works short-term. The bad news?

After the short-term gain of giving up, and getting to Netflix and chill, you’ll be really pissed off at yourself. You’ll have regret and feel even worse than before you began your journey of struggle. Not getting your goals and making next to no progress feels like crap.I spent several years doing this.

“Every night I would get home, watch a Hollywood movie, go to 7-Eleven for some sugar and send useless texts to the toxic people in my life”

These same people were going nowhere and telling me to give up.

Screw that. I did this for a while and felt so empty. Life had no meaning and I was making no impact. The sugar diet made me sick and I ended up becoming bedridden.

The struggle is the beginning.

Looking back, without the struggle, I would have never got off my lazy ass and actually taken action. When I say “It’s what you do with the struggle,” what I mean is this:

Having it tough and struggling – like trying to walk up a hill while there’s a mudslide happening at the exact same time – is a big fat signal that you’re onto something.

The motivation and momentum you need to get started is right there in front of your blue eyes.

“You can’t get started on some mammoth task to change your life unless you get pissed off and do it tough”

If you were doing it easy, there’d be no urgent reason to take action.

When you’re like me and you are about to be unemployed, have lots of tough decisions to make and are unsatisfied with your career progression to date, you have to embrace your circumstances.

Now, this sounds like a lot of big words that you’d read in some 2000-page self-help book that repeats the same ideas over and over.

I’m going to dumb it right down:

The struggle is a sign to get started. When you struggle, things can’t really get much worse. What you’re left with is nothing but upside.

What action do we take then when we’re struggling?

Let’s use my situation as an example. Here are the action steps I’m using and implementing this week:

1. Accept where you are right now
– This will give you a reality check.

2. Meditate to relax your busy brain
– Stress will force you to make dumb decisions.

3. Get really uncomfortable
– I said yes to a new business venture that involves a lot of public speaking.

4. Resist the temptation to be pissed off
– Getting angry is only going to make things worse. Reserve your energy.

5. Write three things a day you’re grateful for
– This will force you to find the positive.

6. Delete whingers, sooks, liars and complainers from your contact list
– You’ve got enough issues; it’s hard enough to be positive without having toxic people talk nonsense and distract you.

Final step: Chill out amigo.

Your world is not going to end tomorrow. You can always start again. You can always fall down and get straight back up. Don’t be so angry with yourself. We all struggle and you’re doing the best that you can. Focus your energy on building your confidence and supporting your growth mindset.

“My future looks like a nuclear apocalypse right now but I’ve learned through the struggles that I always come out the other side on top”

Being impatient and stressing will only bring on more problems for you. It’s not that bad. Things always turn around. This moment of struggle and how you handle it will define who you become.

All of us have unlimited potential and we’re all struggling every day.

Once you learn to accept the struggle, embrace it and see it as a seed to something better, you’ll be well on your way to becoming someone you’re proud of.

Wish me luck with the struggles coming in the next few weeks. We’re in this together don’t forget.

Peace, love, respect.

Motivation

6 Lessons You Can Learn from The King of the Jungle

lions

Do you watch documentaries on lions? If yes, then you must have seen that they dominate their territory and are apex predators. Lions are among the strongest animals in the world, and no one dares to confront or challenge them. They are called ‘kings’ because they have a touch of royalty in everything they do. From eating habits where 20-25 royal members dine at the same to conquering huge lands. A lion always has a bold attitude and lives like a true ruler.

But their life is full of obstacles and problems. There is less space for errors, as one mistake may make them lose their life, reign, or offspring. Also, hunting is not an easy task; their success rate is only 17-19 percent. Compared to human beings their quandaries are bigger because they never get a second opportunity.

But, have you ever seen a depressed lion or one who wants to give up? They always struggle to hunt and rule lands, but they never quit. Sometimes they fail in hunting a zebra, a gazelle, and a wildebeest. But do they give up? No. They try hard and succeed in hunting.

So, what motivates them to not surrender to the harsh life? The answer is survival. The only thing that keeps them moving is survival. Many lions lose their reign, children, and queens to other lions, but they never give up on life.

Here are six life lessons from the king of the jungle:

1. Your goal is the only way to survive

Set a life goal and work hard to achieve it; consider that there are no alternatives. As lions are born to hunt and rule; acknowledge that you are born to accomplish your life goal. Consider your purpose and work as a source of motivation. They will keep you going through good and bad times because fame is temporary, but work pleasure and sense of achievement are permanent.

“Do not be embarrassed by your failures, learn from them and start again.” – Richard Branson

2. Fail and evolve

Lions fail eight out of ten times in hunting, but this makes them fine-tune their skills; thus, they can catch bigger prey to feed their family. Likewise, we should also embrace our failures and evolve each time we face them. We must study and analyze our failures and make sure to not repeat them. As Jack Ma has rightly said, “If the guy only checks himself, yeah, something wrong with me here, something wrong with me there. Then, this guy has hope.” Also, we must follow this law of nature: ‘Evolve and survive’ to achieve success in life.

3. Focus is the key

When lions go on a hunt, they make less noise and focus on the prey. They always have an element of surprise and keep everything low to make their raid successful. Now imagine, if a lion makes noise, will they be able to hunt? The answer is no! So, what do we learn? Too much talking makes us lose focus. Don’t tell everyone about your goals and what you are doing, keep it low and completely focus on your aim.

4. Always trust each other

A pride of lions always back each other in good and bad times. Rather in tough phases as an individual they contribute more to the survival of the pride. We should also learn that strength is in the pack. It’s necessary to not break each other’s trust for a short-term gain. Also, we must support each other in overcoming tough problems and situations.

“Attack your goals like your life depends on it”

5. Survival is everything

Lions don’t harm anyone without any reason. But, when someone tries to mar their territory, life, and family, they leave no stone unturned in giving a tough fight. Likewise, we should concentrate on our own betterment. However, if someone is trying to ruin our career or life, then instead of getting disappointed we should fight back and overcome such smotherers.

6. Have fun in life

Lions go through a harsh life filled with everyday challenges. But they don’t let them ruin their daily moments. They always enjoy every minute with their pride members. They play with each other and take care of everyone. You should also make sure to relish each moment of your life. Leave your stress and worries in your workplace, and when you are at home, relish the time with your family.

Lions teach us to dominate problems in life and live like a true winner. As someone has rightly said, “If size really mattered, the elephant would be king of the jungle.” Similarly, every animal’s life is full of struggle, and we can learn a lot from them to become successful and prosperous in our own lives. So next time you watch a documentary on lions, try to learn from them.

How will you become a lion in your everyday life? Comment below!

Life

No Mess, No Clutter For 4 Weeks.

Today is a special anniversary. It’s been four weeks of no mess and no clutter. A few of my work colleagues were fascinated by this achievement when I told them and asked me to write about it.

The process to get there was grueling. It made me sick, it was stressful and it was hard. It was worth every second though and it can help everyone reading this.

Here’s what I learned:

The past no longer has to haunt me.

After two weeks, I realized that I had let go of the ex-girlfriends, failed startups and memories that held no significance in my life. Throwing out junk and decluttering helps you deal with the past.

You may think you have dealt with the past but the objects that are left over are the last remaining bits that must be dealt with.

There’s something so freeing about letting go and dealing with your past. It creates space for you to excel in the future and empty your mind. No longer will a dumb pair of socks that your ex-partner bought, remind you of the way they complained about you all the time.

I saved money and lots of it.

It’s only been four weeks and my bank account is thanking me for the tidy up. Now that I know what I have, I can stop buying more batteries, screwdrivers and stationary that I already have.

“Once you’ve lived without clutter, you become like a prison guard, guarding your home against possessions you’ll never use”

This results in fewer purchases and my debit card thanks me.

I was spending hundreds of dollars every year buying things that I might use on a rainy day in a few years. That rainy day came often, yet I never used the items I was stockpiling.

Thanks to these little changes, I now have more money to invest in stocks and my new startup.

You quit letting other people’s junk become your burden.

People die and leave you stuff.
People move countries and leave you stuff.
People ask you to look after their stuff.
People give you stuff that you’re too scared to throw out in case they find out and get upset with you.

You can’t keep letting other people’s possessions become your burden. Set yourself free and let go of possessions regardless of where they came from or who will care. It’s the only way to declutter.

It’s obvious what I can live without.

Now that more than 50% of my possessions are in either charity bins or at the recycling center, I now know what I can live without. Here’s what I was wrong about.

– I thought I needed coconut oil. It turns out that I hate the taste and haven’t used it for two years. Throwing it away reminded me that I could live without it.

– I thought I needed fifteen different pyjama tops. It turns out I only ever wear three of them. The other twelve pairs are not my size and remind me of my old body which I’m not proud of.

– I thought I needed tons of bedding and as it turns out, I rotate the same few doona covers and sheets because they have bright colors that make me happy. The black and grey ones are depressing and I subconsciously never choose to use them.

– I thought I needed to buy in bulk. It turns out I don’t have the room and it feels better to live in a decluttered environment. Buying in bulk was only making the retailers rich, and me sad.

I’m surrounded by objects that make me happy.

That’s the result of having no mess and decluttering. Items that you keep (only keep the stuff that brings you joy) are now all around you. Everywhere I now look, I see useful possessions that get used and make me happy.

Decluttering allowed me to have more of what I love, and less of what I don’t. Being happy is a decision.

“It takes lots of small decisions about what to throw out, to get to a point where your limited number of possessions can bring you joy”

I also know everything I have now because I have so few possessions. This makes me happy.

My life is now organized.

Being organized is a massive time saver. No longer do I need to go on the equivalent of a twelve day Easter Egg Hunt to find a belt I want to wear. It’s now either the black one or the brown one.

This feeling of being organized is addictive and if you do one big tidy up, and you don’t stop until its done, you’ll never go back to your messy ways.

Being organized equals time, which equals money baby!

P.S – Before you send me an email full of rage over how simple I make this all sound, try it for yourself. Take a risk. Embrace the fear. I’m not the only one who has decluttered. There are thousands of us on the Internet that you can look up who’ve had the exact same experience.

Tim is best known as a long-time contributor on Addicted2Success. Tim's content has been shared hundreds of thousands of times and he has written multiple viral posts all around success, personal development, motivation, and entrepreneurship. During the day Tim works with the most iconic tech companies in the world, as an adviser, to assist them in expanding into Australia. By night, Tim coaches his students on the principles of personal development and the fundamentals of entrepreneurship. You can connect with Tim through his website www.timdenning.net or through his Facebook.

1. @StephenGopaul

6. Anthony

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Sports where PEID’s are banned (Athletics, Baseball etc.) = Cheating

• Gary

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:28 am

Fair call Anthony. Healthy debate is always good

7. TJ Hale (@SharkTankPdCast)

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:52 pm

TJ

8. Derek Neighbors

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Justin. Spot on.

9. anaris

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm

• Wen Mei

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Well that was how I read it 🙂

• YourMom

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Those were obviously things they COULD control.

10. vinodha

15. Anthony

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:58 pm

P.S. Great article.

• David

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Anthony, this is what you are saying in simplified form:

#6 Do whatever it takes to win, that includes cheating if need be.

• Ty

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Forget the article. Great f#!@ing comment.

16. Richard Bilodeau

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:14 pm

17. Scott

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Can one truly be called a ‘success’ who has to sacrifice their ethics to win?

• sylverg

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:41 am

Perhaps, but then again perhaps not.

18. Anthony

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:44 am

Marita, are you serious?…..

– One of the most successful actors of the 90’s
    – Successful real estate and business investor
    – Elected Governor of one of largest economies in the world.

19. Marita

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:51 am

Liked the message, the photo-examples, not so much.

Muhammad Ali–yes, live the rest of your life brain-damaged. . .

• FTW

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:01 pm

What an ignorant comment.
      What does achieving success have to do with personal vices?
      Arnold set 3 goals in his life:
      To be Mr. Olympia (which he did 7 times)
      To be an action move star (speaks for itself)
      To be a politician

So he wasn’t faithful to his wife, does that mean his success is written off?

Both of these men have achieved far more than you ever will.
      Keep your negativity to yourself.

• Matt

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:19 pm

• Frederick Henderson

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

Thank you Matt, I had a great time reading your comment, my abs still hurt.

• Evan

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:36 pm

• dstar

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:13 am

rule number 2

20. Ale Montemayor

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I really liked this article.

Motivation

Embrace The Suck.

Embrace the Suck

I suck at spreadsheets.
I suck at maths because numbers do my head in.
I suck at attending meetings because I just want action.

You will suck at your first blog post.
You will suck at your first startup, and the one after that, and so on.
You will suck at giving your first speech.

We all suck 24/7.

None of us are 100% motivated all the time.
None of us get anything right the first time – unless it’s a fluke.

We all have nightmares of our failures.
We all secretly want to be perfect – even me.

It’s time to embrace the suck.

A lot about life F*cking sucks hard.

All of us can succeed when we embrace the suck and persevere.

How do we embrace the suck?

1. Be prepared to fail.
2. Look like an idiot.
3. Be willing to start at the bottom
4. Persevere
5. Challenge the critics

When everything sucks, get back up.
Have a second go even if there’s no reason too.
Back yourself and believe you can push through the suck.

Embrace the suck is a call to action.

Starting at the bottom and sucking harder is how you get to the top.

Embracing the suck is part of life.

“Hello, adversity. Come at me!”

One day you’ll look back on all the sucky moments and be proud.

That’s the cherry on top of the cake right there.

That is all the motivation you need to embrace the suck.

Motivation

Keep Going – Never Give Up. Good People Are Always Rewarded.

Last week there was some real lows. This week there have been some major highs.

You feel like you can’t go on and the odds are stacked against you.

Good people are rewarded.

All those small things you did for people will be remembered.
Someone will give you a chance and believe in you.
An opportunity will come from nowhere that you never expected.

1. Helping people who have nothing
2. Smiling at as many people as you can
4. Staying positive through books and blogs like this
5. Waiting out the winter cold for summer to come into your life again

That’s why I’ve made it practical with these five points.

How my luck changed this week.

Keep going.

Don’t be talked out of your mission.
Let your passion rip through the barriers that stand in your way.

Never give up. Keep going.

Motivation

We All Have It Tough – It’s What You Do With The Struggle.

– Right now, I have 14 days left until I’ll be out of a job.
– I’ve got some very challenging personal issues to deal with.
– My investments need a major rework and I’m completely lost.

We all have it tough.

Are you going to sit there and take it?

There are only two options:

1. Toughen up and use the struggles as motivation
2. Be a piss weak, sook, and give up.

Did the creator of the Jedi Knight give up?

The good news is giving up works short-term. The bad news?

These same people were going nowhere and telling me to give up.

The struggle is the beginning.

If you were doing it easy, there’d be no urgent reason to take action.

I’m going to dumb it right down:

What action do we take then when we’re struggling?

1. Accept where you are right now
– This will give you a reality check.

2. Meditate to relax your busy brain
– Stress will force you to make dumb decisions.

3. Get really uncomfortable
– I said yes to a new business venture that involves a lot of public speaking.

4. Resist the temptation to be pissed off
– Getting angry is only going to make things worse. Reserve your energy.

5. Write three things a day you’re grateful for
– This will force you to find the positive.

6. Delete whingers, sooks, liars and complainers from your contact list

Final step: Chill out amigo.

All of us have unlimited potential and we’re all struggling every day.

Peace, love, respect.

Motivation

6 Lessons You Can Learn from The King of the Jungle

lions

Here are six life lessons from the king of the jungle:

1. Your goal is the only way to survive

2. Fail and evolve

3. Focus is the key

4. Always trust each other

“Attack your goals like your life depends on it”

5. Survival is everything

6. Have fun in life

How will you become a lion in your everyday life? Comment below!