Motivation

5 Things Mentally Tough People Don’t Do

Mental Toughness Arnold Schwarzenegger

Whether you are on the court or in the board room. Mental strength is demanded on a day to day basis for those in high profile positions. Athlete’s, CEO’s and risk hungry Entrepreneurs excel in their fields only by pursuing their goals with a thick skin and a high level of mental strength.

In this article, Sports and Performance Psychologist “Justin Sua” tells us what it takes to be mentally strong enough to take on the big wigs in the arena.

Are you mentally tough enough?

1) They don’t feel sorry for themselves

They understand that complaining doesn’t make the situation better.

They know that people won’t treat them the way they want to be treated, circumstances might not be ideal, and they will experience adversity; however, rather than complain about the negative aspects of their situation, they focus on what they want to happen and what they’re going to do about it.

2) They don’t give people power over them

They are not people pleasers.

They are relentless in their pursuit of their passion and aren’t worried about what other people think.

They give power to what they focus on, and if they waste their time focusing on the opinions of others, they lose sight of the things that will make them truly successful.

3) They don’t avoid change

They are always looking for ways to evolve. They believe that if they continue to give their best, their best will continue to get better over time.

With the competition continuing to get bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter; it’s important to have the mindset to improve by learning from successes and failures.

4) They don’t play small

The mentally tough swing for the fences and know that it might mean striking out a few times (or many times). Their purpose for achieving greatness casts away their fear of failure. They refuse to tip-toe through life, they intend on creating a legacy for the future by making an impact in the here-and-now.

5) They don’t focus on things they can’t control

They refuse to waste time focusing on things they can’t control because there is nothing they can do about it!

They understand that the less control a person feels the more susceptible they are to making poor decisions, falling into bad habits, and crumbling under pressure.

Muhammad Ali mental strength

Justin Su'a in an expert in sport and performance psychology, the author of, "Parent Pep Talks” and the Head of Mental Conditioning at the IMG Academy, the world-leading provider of athletic and personal development training programs for youth, adult, collegiate and professional athletes, located in Bradenton, Florida. Follow Justin on Twitter: @justinsua

1. @StephenGopaul

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:37 am

Short and sweet.

2. skipprichard1

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:12 am

I appreciate this list for its simplicity and directness. Obviously there are exceptions, but these are the bold moves to move you forward. This is particularly a good list to review when you are tentative and slow to act.

3. David King

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:06 am

I wonder where that puts someone like me, that literally loves the discomfort of training.

4. Dionne

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:13 am

Change is good! Change is what makes you grow as a person. Always like changing!

5. e lugsdin

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:27 pm

First of all you need the body and other attributes to be a pro dancer for instance.. There are some people even with all the teaching and effort will never make it. so people need to focus on their potential and it may lay in other areas. This is where our education fails all but the mainstream candidates. Attitude and focus will never help you if you are in the wrong areas. The influence on genetic advantage will always mean that in all areas of competition certain individuals will always struggle to attain the success they expect from all of their training education and experience. The real skill is recognising the appropriate area to concentrate efforts.

6. Anthony

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Gary and David, this will be my last response as we both have opinions that can’t seem to see eye to eye……we’ll agree to disagree, yea?.

I would however love for you to please explain to me (because you keep comparing it to sports where drugs ARE illegal and it IS cheating) how it is ill ethical or cheating when it is NOT banned and EVERYONE in the sport is using it LEGALLY. It is like calling Usain Bolt a cheat for wearing shoes even though everyone else is and it is a legal to do.

Sports where PEID’s are banned (Athletics, Baseball etc.) = Cheating
    Sports where PEID’s are legal and uniformally taken amongst competitors (Mr Olympia Bodybuilding Competition) = Not cheating

I don’t know how to simplify that anymore for you guys who keep calling Arnold a cheat for taking PEID’s in bodybuilding.

His infidelity (which I have repetitively stated I don’t condone) has nothing to do with the content in this article or his sporting success.

I do wish you guys all the best in finding someone as successful as Arnold or Ali, to provide you with inspiration who haven’t made poor choices in their personal lives.

• Gary

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:28 am

Fair call Anthony. Healthy debate is always good

7. TJ Hale (@SharkTankPdCast)

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Great article – I will be linking to it in my newsletter. NUmber 1 & 2 could fix most people’s problems.

TJ

8. Derek Neighbors

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Justin. Spot on.

9. anaris

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Wait… you think that people who start off powerless but end up controlling things don’t think about the things they can’t yet control?

Because that is pretty much what half of all inventors do, let alone entrepreneurs and investors. Obsessive pursuit of dreams and goals that are currently out of reach is the central force of success for many people.

• Wen Mei

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I don’t think that kind of control is meant. Rather, you cannot control *everything* in your environment *ever* (what will happen by chance, the people and their actions and choices around you etc) So why bother trying to control situations or people out of fear for an (otherwise) negative outcome. It doesn’t serve anyone. Least of all yourself.

Well that was how I read it 🙂

• YourMom

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Those were obviously things they COULD control.

10. vinodha

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:28 pm

motivating

11. Bdibur

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:19 am

The article is about success and achievement. Obviously, there has to be an equal – OR HIGHER – attention given to the personal growth and development of a human aspect. But the advice in that regard wouldn’t be much different – it takes just as much determination and effort to Love Your Neighbor As Yourself.

12. Gary

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:55 am

What? Anthony Your quote (People need to differentiate personal life actions and business/career achievements) NO they shouldn’t and NO they don’t. Clearly your self perceived clever attacks on people with different views here require you to return a comment each time someone has their say that u don’t agree with. Business/career different from personal life actions? Thats humorous. Drug cheats are drug cheats and because others are doing it, doesn’t make it right. The article is quite good but the image doesn’t support the message. That’s the point originally made. If u wanna argue his success no problem. But u can’t take bits if a journey and make excuses for the rest.

13. Sonia

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:31 am

So I presume we are only discussing sporting, entrepreneurial success. Relationship and lifeskills also require self discipline and focus. Arnie does not tick all of the boxes but I guess it depends on what your aspirations are.

14. Tom Gerace

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:43 am

Kinda depends on your definition of success doesn’t it? If fame and glory at any cost is your idea of a life well lived I personally believe you are helping to drive the wagon of societal decline…..

15. Anthony

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Scott…….EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE he ever competed against in professional bodybuilding was on performance enhancing drugs. It is a part of the trade, it wasn’t a question of sacrificing ‘ethics’. Also, if you think for a second that just because Arnold was on PIED’s meant he didn’t work hard tells me you are even more ignorant than your initial post suggests.

Another thing, I can’t understand why his infedelity keeps being brought up either. Yes, it is a terrible thing to do but I can’t see what that has to do with what and how he has achieved what he has? People need to differentiate personal life actions and business/career achievements.

P.S. Great article.

• David

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Anthony, this is what you are saying in simplified form:

#6 Do whatever it takes to win, that includes cheating if need be.

Maybe you’re right. Peds have been working out great for athletes of all kinds like baseball players. Its just sad when a true great like Babe Ruth never needed them and was hugely successful and now his records are challenged by cheaters.

Also, how you conduct your self in your personal life will always end up affecting your business life eventually.

• Ty

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Forget the article. Great f#!@ing comment.

16. Richard Bilodeau

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Thank you for sharing your success strategy, I have used the self confidence exercise and I tell the truth, it works.

17. Scott

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Can one truly be called a ‘success’ who has to sacrifice their ethics to win?

What does it say about efforts of a man that works hard, but is defeated by someone using performance enhancing drugs?

• sylverg

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:41 am

If you were faced with the same temptations and opportunities and if your life were put under as much scrutiny as Arnold’s life, would it hold up to the lofty billing you claim?

Perhaps, but then again perhaps not.

It’s kind of comparing Bob, who can’t get a girl, vs a monk who makes a chastity vow. Both are virgins but only one of them can take pride in it.

Eden would have been a lot less challenging for Eve had there been no apple tree.

I just watched Day 4 of the World Judo Championships and I have seen many many mistakes that I know I wouldn’t have made. Mentally, I am screaming “don’t let that hand through, you will get choked out”, “Left! Go left, can’t you see that’s his weak side?”, “Foot sweep incoming in 3, 2, 1… splash – how did you not see that coming?”. I was right most of the time too. The girl did get choked out a couple seconds later, the guy failed his throw and got countered.

I knew better. I was right. I would probably have made none of those mistakes… but I would have made so many other mistakes that it’s unlikely I could win a match against any of the guys on the mat. Starting with the fact that I train less in a week than they do in a day.

We love to point out the faults of the rich and famous, and tell ourselves that we would never have made those blatant mistakes. And that’s quite possible. But most of us make so many other blatant mistakes that we don’t even get in a position where our mistakes make the news.

Not only that but a lot of our mistakes come from not even trying. There goes a beautiful girl, a successful model, a top athlete, etc., and she smiles at you and she seems to like the look of you, and you can’t work out the guts to walk over. So you smile and you look away. You don’t take the chance and tell yourself that’s all right because ____(insert a stupid excuse here). Could be the worst mistake of your life right here, but it’s never going to be in the papers. You did was the “polite” thing to do, nobody will even notice you missed the love of your life. .

If you do have the guts to try, maybe it doesn’t work out. Maybe you misunderstood and she was smiling to someone else and she laugh that you might have thought yourself worthy of her attention. People call you a creep.

It’s way safer to remain “politely” out of the way and criticizes the guys who do try. To be in the sideline and tell your friends about that “creep” who tried to flirt with a star.

You criticize Arnold and the guy has done some pretty stupid things indeed, but what about you? What have you done or failed to do?

18. Anthony

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:44 am

Marita, are you serious?…..

Arnold: -The best in the world for his chosen field (bodybuilding) for many years
    – One of the most successful actors of the 90’s
    – Successful real estate and business investor
    – Elected Governor of one of largest economies in the world.

Do I think some of the decisions he’s made in his personal life been the most moral? Not at all.

Although it’s something l personally strive to do in my own life, this site isn’t dedicated to providing inspiration for living the most ethical lives we can. It’s a source of inspiration for people looking to SUCCEED and I think Arnold is an excellent role model for someone looking to do that.

19. Marita

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:51 am

Liked the message, the photo-examples, not so much.

Arnold gropes women, has illegitimate children while married, and took so many performance-enhancing drugs that he spends many hours a week in dialysis.

Muhammad Ali–yes, live the rest of your life brain-damaged. . .

• FTW

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:01 pm

What an ignorant comment.
      What does achieving success have to do with personal vices?
      Arnold set 3 goals in his life:
      To be Mr. Olympia (which he did 7 times)
      To be an action move star (speaks for itself)
      To be a politician

Performance enhancing drugs are the norm in that industry, if you’re not on them, you’re not going to win.
      So he wasn’t faithful to his wife, does that mean his success is written off?

Both of these men have achieved far more than you ever will.
      Keep your negativity to yourself.

• Matt

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:19 pm

At what cost to their personal life and their character? Who cares if you are “successful” but in the wake of your success destroy the only true thing that will last for eternity: our relationships with people.
        I thought these tips were so-so. The last one concerns me because it is telling people to ignore the things we cannot control. MOST OF LIFE IS OUT OF OUR CONTROL. No one can even control whether or not our heart keeps beating. This just seems to encourage people to focus on the shallow aspects of life without paying attention to the spiritual implications of our daily decisions. Which is why our 20-somethings and younger have a yolo attitude and avoid thinking about the more deeper issues of life.
        Tip #6 Don’t waste your life on things that won’t matter 1,000 years from now (1,000 years from now no one will know who Arnold or Ali is).

• Frederick Henderson

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

Thank you Matt, I had a great time reading your comment, my abs still hurt.

• Evan

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm

That’s faulty logic. The whole YOLO attitude is that you should make whatever decisions you feel like making and not worry about the consequences. But you have control over whether you sleep with a girl without a condom or whether you jump off a 3 story building into a pool. Saying that you shouldn’t worry about things you can’t control doesn’t mean you should put yourself in situations where your fate is out of your control. You have control over whether you are in those situations or not.

Instead, the point of #5 is that instead of sitting around praying that your dream company is going to find your resume on monster, you should go out and try to schedule a meeting with the hiring manager and do whatever you can to try to further your chances. When people sit around stressing and hoping for good things to come to them, they can start to become indifferent and believe that they have no control over their lives. This can lead to depression and that’s when people start to develop poor habits like drug use.

Yes, most things are out of your control, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t do everything you can to try to help yourself. If you want to find the girl of your dreams, go out and talk to girls instead of sitting on your ass hoping she’ll just come and ring your doorbell one day. If you want to become a good athlete, go to the gym and workout instead of praying that a top physical trainer will show up at your house and decide to whip you into shape. If you have a goal, do everything that is in your control to try to make it come true. That’s the mentality of a champion.

• Emily

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I agree. This is someone’s opinion on what they consider “tough.” The world is full of complex people. Entrepreneurs and those who focus their energy on business success are not the gold standard. The examples listed don’t include people who worked hard to make a deep positive impact on the world, but rather did whatever it took to meat their own desires/goals.

• savage

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Ignore haters like this loser. Focus on positive things. Rule #5

• Baby Spice

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:11 am

The main issue is that you should never compromise your health for success.Taking drugs for whatever cause is just plain foolish and -paradoxically- testifies to your desire to please others and be admired by masses at your own expense (or resolving some childhood trauma/trying to prove something to your dad etc etc etc). Humility and knowing your limits is the great absence on the list. It is humility that ultimately makes you immune to any form of (sometimes disguised) self-destruction in the long term.

• freddy

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:36 pm

“… They are not people pleasers. They are relentless in their pursuit of their passion and aren’t worried about what other people think” 😉

• dstar

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:13 am

rule number 2

20. Ale Montemayor

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I really liked this article.

Motivation

7 Ways Yoga Effectively Motivates You to Achieve Success

how yoga motivates you

Yoga is an appointment with your own self. It is time to meet your true self and receive a return ticket to your true nature that is bliss and happiness. You will naturally feel happy while doing yoga. Many people don’t realize they are in a distressed state until it’s too late. The same thing happened with me when I failed to understand my life’s circumstances. I was struggling with a lack of motivation, depression, insomnia, and maintaining my personal relationships, which eventually started affecting my physical health.

Last year, I struggled with depression and general anxiety disorder. I was constantly chasing after money, a lucrative career, happiness, and success. I was afraid that if I told my colleagues about my mental health issues, they would criticize me and eventually it would hamper my progression and I would not be taken seriously.

Last winter, my responsibilities in life increased in a short period of time, which created a lot of anxiety. It began to disturb my mood at home as I was unable to relax and felt low. I hated my own egotistical self because I was an extremely competitive individual as well. I always felt that I did not have the career of my dreams and I was not where I aimed to be. It felt like I was failing because I was not able to attain any of the goals I set in my own life.

I decided to share my emotions and feelings with someone who could potentially make things easier for me. I ended up explaining my struggles and mental illness to my manager. His reaction was amazing because he thanked me for being honest, and he introduced me to yoga. I am happy that I made this decision because it felt better after sweating it out in the Yoga workshop.

Yoga helped me in focusing on what I truly had, instead of on what I didn’t have. I learned how to embrace my competitive side and to use it in a way that pushed me to become a happier person. Yoga taught me that instead of wasting most of my life chasing after success and competing with others, I had to let life run its natural course. Happiness and success will then come to us naturally.

Below I have listed some reasons as to why yoga works effectively to motivate yourself to achieve success:

1. It Solves Your Problem

When it comes to challenges and tackling problems, yoga works amazingly. When you get on a yoga mat and begin to practice, you are made to deal with everything that comes to you and asked to face it gracefully. In turn, this increases your focus and patience levels, so that you will be able to face the mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical challenges at every turn.

2. It Lowers Your Anxiety and Stress

Yoga doesn’t mean that you will heal instantly, but constant practice can help you destress. The simple breathing and moving exercises can help a lot in releasing your tension and anxiety.

Yoga helps in stretching your muscles by relaxing them as most of the stress and tension is stored there. The breathing exercises energize your body by increasing the blood flow, which eventually refreshes your body and mind. The daily practice of yoga makes you aware of the surroundings by making you control your emotions and stress.

“Learn to relax. Your body is precious, as it houses your mind and spirit. Inner peace begins with a relaxed body.” – Norman Vincent Peale

3. Increase Your Focus

Yoga helps improve your focus through the breathing exercises you do during the yoga postures. It relaxes the body and mind so you can think clearly, and in time build up the ability to concentrate.

Yoga is focused on concentration, breathing,  and the alignments. Additionally, yoga’s claimed to bring mental and physical relaxation by energizing the parasympathetic nervous system, and this is the reason why yogis sleep well at night. No wonder they have such a healthy and a stress-free lifestyle.

4. It Helps in Redefining Success

Real success comes when you use yourself to your full capability. It does not matter what you become, the only thing that matters is that you are living your life to your full potential.

If you want to be successful, then you must see everything just the way it is, without any distortion. Yoga helps you with just that. Through practicing yoga daily, you will start to see the results and live more joyfully.

5. It Boosts Your Health

Mental health affects your work and your physical health. Your physical health can drastically  affect your work as it will make you work less and take more time off, which will lead to lined-up pending assignments.

Yoga helps your body with almost every physical problem. Yoga increases your blood flow, oxygen, and improves your circulatory system. All the postures of the Bikram yoga help to improve the flow of fresh and oxygenated blood to every part of the body and mind.

“Move your joints every day. You have to find your own tricks. Bury your mind deep in your heart, and watch the body move by itself.” – Sri Dharma Mittra

6. Gives Mindfulness and Makes You Present

Mindfulness teaches us to become more present at any given moment. It makes us more aware and conscious of our inner thoughts, feelings, emotions, and hence makes us strong enough to control our actions towards situations.

Practicing breathing in yoga teaches you to experience and live each moment to the fullest. Over time, yoga will help you live in a deep sense of fulfillment and inner peace, which will ultimately help you in making the right decision for yourself and your team.

7. Stay Aware and Positive

A yogi tends to have a balanced outlook on life. Yoga sessions of meditations, breathing exercises, and mindfulness will aim at making you conscious and aware of yourself. Additionally,  it will open up new possibilities of understanding your true self.

Yoga also aims at making you a positive person, and the effects of yoga are not limited to relaxation after a workout but are exceptionally long-lasting. Yoga makes you attain the attitude of gratitude that helps you identify the brighter side of life.

To achieve success through yoga, you must adapt it into your day to day life because having good health is a basic necessity to live a happy and healthy life and no one but you can keep yourself healthy.

Have you tried yoga? If so, share with us how it’s positively impacted your life below!

Motivation

5 Ways to Find Everyday Motivation in the Least Likely Places

how to find motivation

When you’re down in the dumps, the natural thing you want to do is find motivation to recharge and restart. But unlike computers or phones, people don’t work that way…or do they?

Think of it this way, people are natural sources of motivation, and we may not even be aware of it. Recall the last time you went to the store, chatted with the happy counter girl, and the helpful guy in the queue, you came out smiling and feeling good, didn’t you? That’s because those people charged you with their positive energy.

The problem is, just like them, there are people with negative energies who drain you of your motivation. After you interact with them, you feel listless, depressed or just simply low. In such a scenario, I would advise you to go to that grocery store again, but that’s just not practical.

Here are 5 unlikely places to get your dose of motivation:

1. Wind from Within

Where else would you find motivation quickly but yourself? You are the ultimate source of inspiration. Don’t believe me? Try these tactics.

Think about the reason why you’re feeling down, and treat it as a challenge. Consider it as a game, and you need to beat your competition with any strategy that you can think of and come out on top. Feel that boost of energy?

Next, dive in and consider why you feel like such a failure. Is it the career choices? The face-off incident with your ex at the office gathering? The boss who is always criticizing you? Take these issues one by one and devise plans to tackle them.

Change your career if you must, or give this one your 200 percent. Avoid your ex or talk it out with them. Face your boss by telling them how disappointed you are with their behavior, or keep on taking the criticism. The point is, not to overthink but to resolve what’s bugging you and pulling you down.

Perhaps this feeling of failure which is dragging you down stems from your fear of it. To make it right and regain your motivation, you’ll have to face your fear head on. There is no way around it so might as well deal with it like a “challenge”. There’s that word again, you know what to do now.

2. Tune in to Ted Talks

What if you still can’t find motivation from within, and still feel down? Ted Talks are the best sources of inspiration.Real people. Real experience. Real talk. You can’t get any closer to real motivation than a Ted Talks. From career to personal, emotional, educational etc. each Ted Talk takes you on a journey of the speaker, forces you to face their reality, and end up with a solution, which might be yours too.

One of my favorites is by Adam Grant, “Are you a giver or a taker?”. It has really given me thoughts about what my life is all about and what I would like to change. One of the lines which struck me and turned my life around was: “If you’re a matcher, you try to keep an even balance of give and take: quid pro quo — I’ll do something for you if you do something for me. And that seems like a safe way to live your life. But is it the most effective and productive way to live your life?

That’s just one Ted Talk. There are tons out there. The point is not what you watch but what you garner from their experiences, wisdom, and lessons delivered.

3. Soul Searching Speeches

While Ted Talks are about your average Joe, whom you can relate to and may even bump into in your everyday routine, speeches from successful people are another thing entirely.

We are talking about golden nuggets from dynamite, successful tycoons who have changed the world. They’re revolutionizing the way we live and breathe.

And you know what else they are? They’re powerhouses who have the immense capability of giving you the much needed motivation spark to come out of your lowest low. When famous people like Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Jack Ma, Oprah Winfrey and Michelle Obama get invited to deliver commemorating speeches, they share with you their world.

They tell us about using smart decisions to solve complex problems. They share with us their dilemmas, and how to come out of it without harming yourself. But most importantly, they tell us about their fears, challenges, and failures which they’ve successfully overcome.

One of the most famous speeches, and my personal favorite, is Steve Jobs’ commencement speech at Stanford University. Jobs, who has revolutionized home computing, mobile devices, and luxury branding of technology, tells us if we live each day as if it were the last, then there is nothing to fear. After all, fear is the reason why we don’t do a lot of things that would boost our motivation.

4. Tap Into Teaching

People say that teaching is a noble profession but nobody tells you about the motivational aspect of it. Even if you’re down, nothing brightens your mood up instantly like a student looking up to you. You feel thousands of feet tall.

You don’t have to be a full time teacher to feel motivated. Help someone at the workplace and teach them a skill. Teach your kids about what you know. And if you’re single, teach the neighbor’s kids.

When you teach someone, you are actually learning and discovering yourself. It gives you a new perspective and forces you to look at problems from the student’s point of view. And, you might discover the reason for feeling demotivated, or stressors that are pulling you down. When you are able to identify the problem, you’ll be able to find the solution.

5. Interest in Interviews

What do Humans of New York, Larry King Live and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon have in common? You guessed it…interviews. Funny or serious, interviews are meant to bring out the inner person of the interviewee, but I bet you didn’t know they also bring the humane side of the interviewer.

Interviews force you to wear the interviewee’s shoes, think like them, and understand their dilemmas. What better lessons to learn and get motivation from real life people who’ve been there and done that?

Of course it doesn’t mean you start grabbing any Tom, Dick or Harry to interview. Find an angle, seek permission and have a purpose for your interviews. Maybe you want to find out where people go to find inspiration, or motivate others. Or, ask people what they do when they hit bottom, or at the peak of their career.

You’ll be surprised at the rationale, humbling experiences and feelings these individuals will share. Let their answers be your motivation.

Motivation

4 Simple Yet Effective Ways to Boost Your Team’s Motivation as a Startup

team motivation

Many startup leaders are able to grow their organizations quickly, thanks to their off-the-charts motivation and productivity. Unfortunately, when the organization is no longer a one-man show, it becomes very difficult to equip their team members with the same degree of motivation. This can negatively affect the organization’s morale, productivity, and possibly revenue.

Below are the four simple and effective ways to boost your team’s motivation as a startup:

1. Evaluate your own leadership as a leader

Many leaders had their own share of experience with bad leadership. Tim Denning, Addicted2Success contributor, also goes as far as saying, “working with a bad boss is a soul crushing dream killer.” No leaders want to be known as a bad leader. Unfortunately, some startup leaders unintentionally fall into the trap of micromanaging and never listening to the team members because they might not always have an experience as a leader.

If your team is big enough, you can also consider doing an anonymous survey that evaluates your leadership. But if that is not an option, there are tools that allow you to assess your own leadership performance. Go through the assessment, and focus on implementing the changes. Even if the team members’ motivation does not skyrocket overnight, there will be an improvement overtime.

“The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not a bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.” – Jim Rohn

2. Focus more on intrinsic motivation

A study of 200,000 U.S public sector employees by Yoon Jik Cho and James Perry showed that intrinsic motivation, rather than extrinsic motives such as position and salary, makes triple the impact on employee motivation and engagement. This study shows that motivating team members through position and salary is important, yet the biggest transformation will show when you get team members to focus on internal rewards.

For startups and teams with a limited budget, this represents a powerful way to be able to attract and retain the best team members. Though there will be some team members that might be disengaged because they are more motivated by position and salary, there will also be team members that may choose to stay in the organization because of the team’s culture– even if they get other job offers that might be more extrinsically appealing.

Challenge your team members with bigger responsibilities and goals. Encourage them to continue developing their skills or learn new ones. Show them you appreciate their loyalty. The internal rewards and the personal loyalty that your team members develop by working with your team will ensure that they can continue to stay engaged to the work and stay motivated to get the work done.

3. Be specific on HOW their work matters, and how much you care

Most leaders are aware of the importance of great team members and focus on recognizing the team’s efforts. However, when specificity as to how their work makes a difference in the team is added on, it can become extremely powerful. Team members want to know that the business cares about their work and jobs, but also about making a positive impact on the society.

Everytime you remind your team members about how their work makes a difference in the company’s growth, and how the organization makes a difference in the community, your team member will not only feel pride in their work, but they will also be fired up with an extra dose of motivation.

“If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” – Henry Ford

4.  Encourage team members to become self leaders

An article by HR Digest shows that 25% of millennial team members are looking for a chance to prove their leadership skills. Although it is highly encouraged for startup leaders to challenge their team members and give them opportunities to showcase their leadership abilities, it can be risky if they do not have a previous leadership experience. That is when self leadership comes in.

Self leadership is a concept developed by Bryant and Kazan and is about having a clear individual identity as a leader. This can mean having a clear understanding of the vision, who they are as a leader and what their capabilities are as a leader. This helps your team members embody an identity of a good leader while developing their leadership skills.

There are many ways of empowering team members to develop self-leadership, such as encouraging them to take on new challenges or allowing them to partake in professional development activities. It can also mean giving them room to innovate and make their own decisions with their authority.

As the team gets bigger and the organization is no longer a one-man show, it can be challenging for leaders to keep their team members motivated. However, with these simple ways, it’ll be easier to equip your team members with the extra dose of motivation to continue doing their best and boost the team’s performance as a whole.

How do you keep your team motivated and excited? Share your ideas and thoughts below!

Motivation

5 Ways to Remain Undefeated In Life and Cherish Each Moment Successfully

how to dominate life

Life is an amalgamation of existence and survival. It often replicates Pandora’s box. When we talk about existence, it relates to one’s identity. When we talk about survival, stories of struggles, success, victories, and defeats come into the panorama. Survival defines the continuation of existence.

The concept of existence makes us curious about, “who am I”?  Whereas, instincts of survival raise queries about “how to know who I am”? This journey from Who to How comprises several halts and platforms to make life interesting and beautiful.

Let’s Have a Look at the Surroundings

Have you ever seen a bird building its nest? It appears beautiful yet simple, right? Stop and think about the efforts they have put behind its construction. They collect sticks, twigs, yarn, grass, leaves, mud, and many other things. They prove to be skilled architects of nature. This is one of their necessities to survive.

When the eggs hatched, the baby birds come into existence and struggle to survive in the external environment. They adapt and try to fly. They fall and get scared but never give up because they know this is vital for their survival. Then a day comes when they fly higher and soar in the sky.

Why doesn’t their survival seem complicated to us? Why don’t they have any emotional and mental breakdowns? Human beings have evolved and are privileged to experience emotions.

What Makes Life Interesting and Brings Meaning to Your Existence?

There are 3 things that brings mean to your existence: Desire, Determination and Struggle.

Desire

Human beings have desire to achieve things. Sometimes desires become the cause of one’s misery, but desires can also be the driving force which let you manifest your highest potential. Having desires is important. It motivates us to forge ahead towards victory. It gives us a reason to work and strive for more.

But desire should not dominate you, and you should not depend on it to be happy. Your willpower and attitude determine your approach towards its fulfilment.Many times we don’t get the desired results. Sometimes it is better than what we thought, and sometimes it’s the opposite. A wise person neither gets swayed away with the victory nor disheartened with failure.

Determination

If the desire is the force, then determination is the velocity. Their product gives us the power to become courageous and fight like an invincible spirit. The determination provides a direction and illuminates your way to success. Hence, determined, every time you get a setback in life. When life throws curve balls, apply the technique of self-motivation and wisdom.

Struggle

When we do not achieve a set goal, we consider ourselves failures. When life doesn’t seem easy, when things turn out to be contrary or opposite of our expectations, we define the situation as tough and full of struggles.

The real struggle in life is not with the situation but with ourselves. If you succeed to win over the lowest state of your mind, your weaknesses, you win half of the battle. We win the other half with courage, hope, and a never give up attitude.

Winning is important, but to never get defeated is something even more important. If you remain undefeated no matter what, that’s a success.

Here are 5 Ways to Remain Undefeated:

1. Build a Habit of Reading and Self-Motivation

In the moment of delusion and doubt, books prove to be a guiding force and a loyal companion, capable of empowering and motivating you. When we are stuck in a situation and not able to figure anything out, reading an article, blog, book or magazine has been proven to be a saviour.

A habit of reading helps you to learn and grow. It’s like self-help pills. You keep yourself motivated. Whenever doubt comes, you seek the writings of ancient wisdom, derive its meaning according to you and keep yourself in a high life state.

2. Thinking and Introspection

Thinking is an art, and introspection is the tool to perform this art. When we spend time with the inner self, we contemplate many things. When we dwell in the dialogue with ourself, we find answers to many questions, and our vision becomes more explicit.

We know ourselves. We don’t get affected by people’s criticism or applause. We consistently focus on our thoughts and keep moving forward along the chosen path, and that is the key to achieve your goal.

3. Seek Inspiration from a Mentor

A mentor is someone who guides you throughout and enables you to achieve success in your life. A mentor is a source of inspiration. A mentor can be anyone; a teacher, a friend, your parents, grandparents, or even some celebrity. When you get down and gloomy, look at your mentor and many deadlocks of your life open automatically.

4. Connect Yourself to Spirituality

Spirituality is the way of living one’s life unaffected by worldly affairs. When we open the gate to eternity, we leave behind our footprints. It will not only guide others but also paves their way to a peaceful life.

Practicing Yoga brings you closer to spirituality and meditation and helps with mental health. Hence, Yoga and meditation have the quality of a lotus flower. No matter what condition you are going through, you will bloom.

It calms your mind, relaxes your body, and improves your concentration. Your stress levels reduce and you achieve the hormonal balance your body and mind is looking for. This balance boosts your confidence and your belief system.It is a capsule for the overall development of your personality and inculcating this habit in our daily routine takes us to a higher level of success.

5. Be Courageous and Never Get Defeated

Courage is a virtue which enables us to make our dreams come true. To keep fighting the battle of life, you must have courage. It helps you to overcome your fear. When you win over your phobias, you increase your potential. You never get defeated, and that is an epic victory one can report.

In the weakest of your moments, when life seems unfair and ruthless, calm down, take a deep breath, close your eyes, and talk to yourself. Pay gratitude for whatever you have. You will find the meaning of your existence and that ethos to survive will never let you get defeated. You will triumph.