The Top 25 Millionaires & Billionaires That Are Using Their Money To Save The World

giving-money away

When you think of the word “Philanthropist“, people such as Bill & Melinda Gates, Warren Buffett & Oprah Winfrey may come to mind. These are just a few of the many super rich that have devoted their lives to changing the world for the better through the riches and Success they have made over their lives. Read on to see the list of the Top 25 Richest Millionaires & Billionaires giving away their money to make this world a better place.

Billionaires Giving Away Money

#25 Lee and Jane Seidman

#25 Lee and Jane Seidman

Amount donated in 2010: $42  million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: University Hospitals in  Cleveland

Background: Seidman is the retired founder and president of  the Motorcars Group, a Cleveland-based conglomerate of car dealerships. He  pledged in 2010 to  give away 90% of his wealth before the end of the  year.

#24 Larry Ellison

#24 Larry Ellison

Amount donated in 2010: $45.1  million

Net worth: $39.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Ellison Medical  Foundation

Background: Ellison, the founder of Oracle, started his  foundation in 1997 for biomedical research.

#23 Bennett S. LeBow

#23 Bennett S. LeBow

Amount donated in 2010: $49  million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: Drexel  University

Background: LeBow is the chairman and CEO of Borders and  chairman of the Vector Group, a holding company for manufacturers of cigarettes.  He’s a graduate of Drexel and the university’s business school bears his  name.

#19 (tie) P. Roy and Diana Vagelos

#19 (tie) P. Roy and Diana Vagelos

Amount donated in 2010: $50  million

Net worth: $535 million (via the National  Herald)

Beneficiary: Columbia University Medical  Center

Background: Dr. Vagelos is the former CEO and chairman of  pharmaceutical giant Merck. He’s an alumnus of the medical school associated  with the hospital.

#19 (tie) Paul Ichiro Terasaki

#19 (tie) Paul Ichiro Terasaki

Amount  donated in 2010: $50 million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: University of California at  Los Angeles

Background: Dr. Terasaki is a pioneer  in the field of organ transplant medicine. In 1946 he developed the test  that became the international standard method for tissue typing. He conducted  his research in the university’s  laboratories.

#19 (tie) Ming Hsieh

#19 (tie) Ming Hsieh

Amount donated in  2010: $50 million

Net worth: $1.6 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: University of Southern  California

Background: Hsieh founded AMAX Information Technologies, a  computer server and storage systems maker, and Cogent, which develops automated  fingerprint-identification systems. He’s a graduate  of the school, as well as a trustee.

#19 (tie) Ned Evans

#19 (tie) Ned Evans

Amount  donated in 2010: $50 million

Net worth: $6.5 billion (via Boston  Magazine)

Beneficiary: Yale  University

Background: Evans, who passed away last year, was a private  investor and the chairman of publishing company Macmillan from 1979 to 1989. He  was also a well-known horse breeder, as well as an alumnus of  Yale.

#18 Charles E. Kaufman

#18 Charles E. Kaufman

Amount donated in 2010: $53.3 million (estimated bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiaries: The Pittsburgh Foundation and other  charities

Background: Kaufman, who passed away last year, was an  investor and the former director of purchasing at pharmaceutical company Merck.  His gift will support research in biology, chemistry, and  physics

#17 Bill and Karen Ackman

#17 Bill and Karen Ackman

Amount  donated in 2010: $59.3 million

Net worth: $700 million (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Pershing Square  Foundation

Background: Ackman is the founder of New York-based hedge  fund Pershing Square Capital Management. Along with his wife, he created  the Pershing Square Foundation in 2006 to support education, human rights,  social entrepreneurship, and other causes.

#16 Pierre and Pam Omidyar

#16 Pierre and Pam Omidyar

Amount  donated in 2010: $61.5 million

Net worth: $6.2 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: HopeLab, Humanity United, Omidyar Network,  and the Ulupono Initiative

Background: Omidyar is the founder of eBay. His wife is the  chairwoman of HopeLab, a  nonprofit that develops technology to benefit chronically ill  children.

#15 Henry C. Jr. and Jane Woods

#15 Henry C. Jr. and Jane Woods

Amount donated in 2010:$67  million (bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiaries: Lawrenceville School and North Shore Country  Day School

Background: Woods is the heir to the Sahara Coal Company  fortune. The bulk of last year’s donation went to the Lawrenceville School, a  private school in New Jersey from  which he graduated and where he was a longtime teacher and chair of the  English department.

#14 David and Patricia Atkinson

#14 David and Patricia Atkinson

Amount donated in 2010: $80  million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: Cornell University

Background: Atkinson is a former partner of Miller, Anderson & Sherrerd, a money management firm. He now runs Atkinson & Company, a  private investment business he owns with his wife. Their gift went  towards a research center focusing on energy, sustainability and the  environment.

#13 Juanita Kious Waugh

#13 	Juanita Kious Waugh

Amount donated in 2010: $83.7 million  (estimated bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiaries: The Mayo Clinic, Saint  Joseph’s College in Indiana

Background: Waugh, who passed away last year, managed her  family’s farms and was the heir to part of their cattle, farming and banking  fortune. She and her parents had  been patients of the Mayo Clinic.

#12 Terrence and Kim Pegula

#12 Terrence and Kim Pegula

Amount donated in 2010: $88  million

Net worth: $3.1 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Pennsylvania State  University

Background: Pegula founded East Resources, an oil and gas  exploration and development company, which he sold to Royal Dutch Shell in 2010  for $4.7 billion. The donation from Pegula, an alumnus, will go towards the  university’s hockey program.

#10 (tie) Mark Zuckerberg

#10 (tie) Mark Zuckerberg

Amount donated in 2010: $100  million

Net worth: $17.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Startup:  Education

Background: Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook, made a huge  donation to his own foundation, which will support programs that benefit the  school system in Newark, N.J. The sum will be paid out over five  years.

#10 (tie) Marc and Lynne Benioff

#10 (tie) Marc and Lynne Benioff

Amount donated in  2010: $100 million

Net worth: $1.9 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: University of California at  San Francisco Children’s Hospital

Background: Benioff is the founder of Salesforce.com. His  daughter was born at the hospital, and he is a member of its  board.

#9 Meyer and Renee Luskin

#9 Meyer and Renee Luskin

Amount  donated in 2010: $100.5 million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: University of California at  Los Angeles

Background: Luskin is the chairman of Scope Industries, a  major maker of animal feed. He is a graduate of UCLA and the  couple’s gift will go towards a variety of academic  programs.

#8 T. Boone Pickens

#8 T. Boone Pickens

Amount  donated in 2010: $101 million

Net worth: $1.45 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: Oklahoma State University and other  charities

Background: The founder of oil company Mesa Petroleum and  energy investment firm BP Capital, Pickens is a graduate of OSU. His donation  will endow need-based scholarships for  students.

#7 Frances Lasker Brody

#7 Frances Lasker Brody

Amount  donated in 2010: $110 million (estimated bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary:The Huntington Library, Art  Collections, and Botanical Gardens

Background: Brody, who passed away in 2009, was the heir to  both the fortune of her father, an advertising pioneer, and her husband Sidney  Brody, a real estate magnate. She was a member of the library’s board of  overseers, and her donation was largely funded by the sale of her vast art  collection.

#6 Leonard Blavatnik

#6 Leonard Blavatnik

Amount  donated in 2010: $117.2 million

Net worth: $9.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: University of  Oxford

Background: Blavatnik is the founder of Access Industries, a  major holding company. He did not attend Oxford, but decided  the university was the right choice after learning that it wanted to create  a school dedicated to “improving government and public-policy practices  globally.”

#5 Edythe and Eli Broad

#5 Edythe and Eli Broad

Amount  donated in 2010: $118.3 million

Net worth: $6.3 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Broad  Foundations

Background: Broad is the founder and chairman of homebuilder  KB Home Corporation and financial services company SunAmerica. The couple’s  foundation supports civic programs, contemporary art museums, education, and  medical and scientific research. Broad  is also funding a new art museum in Los  Angeles.

#4 Irwin and Joan Jacobs

#4 Irwin and Joan Jacobs

Amount donated in 2010:  $119.5 million

Net worth: $1.15 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: University of California at San Diego Health  System, Joan and Irwin Jacobs Fund at the Jewish Community Foundation of San  Diego

Background: Jacobs is a co-founder of Qualcomm, the wireless  communications company. The bulk of their donation went to the UCSD health  system, which is building  a new medical center to be named after the  couple.

#3 T. Denny Sanford

#3 T. Denny Sanford

Amount donated in 2010: $162.5  million

Net worth: $600 million (via The  Daily)

Beneficiaries: Sanford Health Foundation, Sanford-Burnham  Medical Research Institute and the Florida Hospital for  Children

Background: The noted philanthropist is chairman of United  National Corporation, a banking business in South Dakota. His most  recent gift to his foundation will establish a national institute for  research and treatment of breast cancer.

#2 Michael R. Bloomberg

#2 Michael R. Bloomberg

Amount  donated in 2010: $279.2 million

Net worth: $19.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: Arts, human services, public affairs, and  other groups

Background: The founder of Bloomberg LP and Mayor of New  York city gave to 970 different nonprofit groups in 2010. Since 2004, the first  year the Philanthropy list was published,  he has given away well over $100 million  annually.

#1 George Soros

#1 George Soros

Amount donated in 2010: $332  million

Net worth: $22 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Open Society  Foundations

Background: Soros is a financier and the chair of Soros Fund  Management, which manages hedge funds. He’s also the founder of Open Society  Foundations, which supports human rights organizations and democratic  institutions.

Source: Chronicle of Philanthropy

Joel Brown is the CEO and Founder of Addicted2Success.com. With a long time passion for Entrepreneurship, Self development & Success, Joel started his website with the intention of educating and inspiring likeminded people all over the world to always strive for success no matter what their circumstances. Follow Joel Brown on Twitter or keep upto date with him on Facebook:Facebook.com/JoelBrownA2S

1. Sarah Peltier

September 2, 2014 at 11:38 pm

I’m in desperate need of help for me and my family. I am willing to work or do what I need to do to earn this help. I just need a clean slate (financially). I am drownding in life and I need someone to throw me a life saver. Please please please help me and my boys.

2. julie

August 31, 2014 at 8:16 am

i have asked for help but it hasn’t worked.My update is now hubby still out of work,its been 3 years since a fulltime job.His car has now been taken off us because we couldn’t pay it off.Back to one car.The house is now on the market which i didn’t want to happen being our first home.With 3 teenagers to support and my husband my income isn’t going far.Behind on all bills losing our home when it is sold.I have hardly had any sleep with stress.if someone like to help us I would be very grateful.I’m only asking for $500,000.Please help me.

3. Hermenegildo Ramirez

August 26, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Hermenegildo Ramirez ; august 26 2014 7:34pm hi, I just want to now how is it to live with no problems in life, i am 52 years old been working since I was 11 and still working hard . live to pay bills. go to sleep thinking how I am going to pay the next bill , but hey that’s ok I guess. I just want to now what it fills to wake up with no problems. wish u all the best

4. peterjfoster

August 26, 2014 at 10:44 am

Do you know what really inspires me, is how these wealthy folk have captured the Heart of God in wanting to care for the weak, poor, hurting and needy. I honour you – such an inspiration to so many of us.

• Harry

August 31, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I have asked for help and have yet to hear from any of them I would maybe agree with if I heard from them so until you hear of a person getting help I would not honor them or commend them just yet

5. Tani Dehnert

August 22, 2014 at 4:18 pm

My daughter is in her last year of nursing school at Pacific Lutheran University. My husband and I are not able to help her this year. She is able to get some loans but is having trouble finding someone to co-sign for the remaining $20,000. She is an good student and has a kind heart, which will make her excellent RN. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thank you.

6. Pr. Nadia Omes-Taylor

August 19, 2014 at 5:47 am

Hello,
    I just wanted to say God bless you and know how I can pray for you?

love, shalom,

Pr. Nadia

• Alexis Atencio

August 20, 2014 at 5:53 am

Hi my name is Alexis, my wife and I have one kid. I work very hard and jump between two jobs, I can barely sleep, in order to give us what we need. I would like somebody could give me $ 500,000 dollars in order for me to star my business again and some others that I got in mind, since I had to get it off of everything from my last business because my wife could not have babies so I sold everything and ask God to help us to get one so here he is now but for me is very difficult to give us a good and wealthy life as we deserved, God knows I am trying but there is a lot of spending in daily life now; so please if some of you could help that will be great for us. thanks

7. Victor Loera

August 12, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Hi my name is Victor, me and my wife have two healthy kids. I work hard with what we have food is on the table and they have a roof over their heads. We don’t have a lot in the bank, you may even say that some time donate to the thrift store when we only have about enough money to cover for bill’s. I’m not asking for money. I’m saying that I’m happy with what we have, and that I have good health.

8. M. Suresh, India

July 31, 2014 at 9:33 am

Save as much money as you can for yourself. Be part of a family or group that keeps you in good shape. Be hard-working and accept your lot. Be patient. Be true in words.
    When one is in need of money he or she should not pretend to do social work and to help others. He or she may start cheating self and the world by spending or hiding money meant for others. So don’t join anyone who goes about asking a few rich men to help some poor people they claim to protect. The rich will do less good things for the needy if so-called helping people are false.

9. Harry

July 27, 2014 at 10:32 pm

If you people truly exist then I am asking for enough money to get rid of my debt and daughters college tuition and money to help my church with improving their sound system along with some other things that need improvement.

10. serupepeli Koroitubuna

July 27, 2014 at 1:19 am

I have a problem moving around trying to spread the Good News Of Jesus Christ in my area and I need a car.Can a millionaire help me please. God bless

11. Mukesh

July 26, 2014 at 2:33 pm

immidately require $10000. to clear my bills, right know in very bad finicial condition and unable to pull on my family,

12. Shirley Rainbolt

July 24, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I am needing help badly! I am a single mom with a disabled daughter. I have a car that has 300,00 miles on it. I’m needing a different car and money to pay my bills with. I’m needing help. PLEASE HELP ME! Thank you for your time. Thanks for any help you can.

13. Suwilanji E Simukonda

July 24, 2014 at 7:12 am

Mr. Harry, Kindly Help me to pay University fees. I am studying Law in Zambia but I cant afford to pay the fees. I need $ 5,000 per year. Please help

• H

July 24, 2014 at 11:52 pm

I am also looking for help from one of these millionaires but have yet to hear from one the only thing I heard was to invest into some work from home business if I did not need help I would not be asking so why do they insist on everyone spend money on this internet business you can do froe home if they would do what they say they are going more people would believe this site is real

14. Sincere Syamusana (Ms)

July 23, 2014 at 11:40 am

Can someone assist to buy blankets for vulnerable children, they sleep without even in cold season. My organisation would like to partner with any millionaire to help these children in Zambia. Other basics includes , education fees, Books, shoes, Food and clothes. Beacon of Hope Foundation is taking care of over 100 children. At the same time we are in need of food, shelter, Beddings and other basics to the Elderly people . Please this is urgent and requires your attention and action. Material or monetary contribution are welcome

15. A.L.Vidanage

July 23, 2014 at 11:05 am

I have had a comment on March 21st of 2014. But I have not received any response from any one. If any millionaire can help me I am very very thankful to him/her.

16. Ellis A Simukonda

July 21, 2014 at 9:12 am

Hi, Help me to secure some money to develop my small piece of Land , I have managed to buy two pigs and Constructed a shelter, but I need five more pigs. This will enhance progress in the family and enable us as a family to send children to school without any problem. and further improve the standard of living. We shall appreciated your help and God bless you. The money required is $8000.

• Milton

August 29, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Hello I Have Falling Down On Hard Times I Have Tryied To Ask Rich People To Help Me With No Results I Just Don’t Think These Millionaires An Billionaires Help The People That Has Not Been Forchant As They Have In Life.I Was Not Looking For A Free Hand Out. I Just Needed Someone To Help Me Get Out Of Poverty I Was Hurt In 94 On The Job Accident Been In Poverty Eversence I Stay Depresed Most Of The Time.But I Think If Someone Would Be Goodhearted Enough To Help Me My Depresion Would Get Better.What I Wanted Someone To Do For Me Was I Want To Start A Cowcalf Operation Farm I Need 1 Million Dollars To Start It .As Soon As I Get Things On Track I Will Start Paying Ever Who Helps Me Out I Will Pay Them Back I Just Need A Good Someone To Get Me Started Off .There Comes A Time When We All Need Somekind Of Help In Life .

• Kimberly

September 4, 2014 at 9:07 am

I Really need someone to help me…but I don’t think this is the good way to find that helping hand. Life is not fair and certainly not easy. Never give up hope…that’s what I do.