News

The Top 25 Millionaires & Billionaires That Are Using Their Money To Save The World

Millionaires and Billionaires Giving Money Away

When you think of the word “Philanthropist“, people such as Bill & Melinda Gates, Warren Buffett & Oprah Winfrey may come to mind. These are just a few of the many super rich that have devoted their lives to changing the world for the better through the riches and Success they have made over their lives. Read on to see the list of the Top 25 Richest Millionaires & Billionaires giving away their money to make this world a better place.

Billionaires Giving Away Money

#25 Lee and Jane Seidman

#25 Lee and Jane Seidman

Amount donated in 2010: $42  million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: University Hospitals in  Cleveland

Background: Seidman is the retired founder and president of  the Motorcars Group, a Cleveland-based conglomerate of car dealerships. He  pledged in 2010 to  give away 90% of his wealth before the end of the  year.

#24 Larry Ellison

#24 Larry Ellison

Amount donated in 2010: $45.1  million

Net worth: $39.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Ellison Medical  Foundation

Background: Ellison, the founder of Oracle, started his  foundation in 1997 for biomedical research.

#23 Bennett S. LeBow

#23 Bennett S. LeBow

Amount donated in 2010: $49  million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: Drexel  University

Background: LeBow is the chairman and CEO of Borders and  chairman of the Vector Group, a holding company for manufacturers of cigarettes.  He’s a graduate of Drexel and the university’s business school bears his  name.

#19 (tie) P. Roy and Diana Vagelos

#19 (tie) P. Roy and Diana Vagelos

Amount donated in 2010: $50  million

Net worth: $535 million (via the National  Herald)

Beneficiary: Columbia University Medical  Center

Background: Dr. Vagelos is the former CEO and chairman of  pharmaceutical giant Merck. He’s an alumnus of the medical school associated  with the hospital.

#19 (tie) Paul Ichiro Terasaki

#19 (tie) Paul Ichiro Terasaki

Amount  donated in 2010: $50 million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: University of California at  Los Angeles

Background: Dr. Terasaki is a pioneer  in the field of organ transplant medicine. In 1946 he developed the test  that became the international standard method for tissue typing. He conducted  his research in the university’s  laboratories.

#19 (tie) Ming Hsieh

#19 (tie) Ming Hsieh

Amount donated in  2010: $50 million

Net worth: $1.6 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: University of Southern  California

Background: Hsieh founded AMAX Information Technologies, a  computer server and storage systems maker, and Cogent, which develops automated  fingerprint-identification systems. He’s a graduate  of the school, as well as a trustee.

#19 (tie) Ned Evans

#19 (tie) Ned Evans

Amount  donated in 2010: $50 million

Net worth: $6.5 billion (via Boston  Magazine)

Beneficiary: Yale  University

Background: Evans, who passed away last year, was a private  investor and the chairman of publishing company Macmillan from 1979 to 1989. He  was also a well-known horse breeder, as well as an alumnus of  Yale.

#18 Charles E. Kaufman

#18 Charles E. Kaufman

Amount donated in 2010: $53.3 million (estimated bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiaries: The Pittsburgh Foundation and other  charities

Background: Kaufman, who passed away last year, was an  investor and the former director of purchasing at pharmaceutical company Merck.  His gift will support research in biology, chemistry, and  physics

#17 Bill and Karen Ackman

#17 Bill and Karen Ackman

Amount  donated in 2010: $59.3 million

Net worth: $700 million (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Pershing Square  Foundation

Background: Ackman is the founder of New York-based hedge  fund Pershing Square Capital Management. Along with his wife, he created  the Pershing Square Foundation in 2006 to support education, human rights,  social entrepreneurship, and other causes.

#16 Pierre and Pam Omidyar

#16 Pierre and Pam Omidyar

Amount  donated in 2010: $61.5 million

Net worth: $6.2 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: HopeLab, Humanity United, Omidyar Network,  and the Ulupono Initiative

Background: Omidyar is the founder of eBay. His wife is the  chairwoman of HopeLab, a  nonprofit that develops technology to benefit chronically ill  children.

#15 Henry C. Jr. and Jane Woods

#15 Henry C. Jr. and Jane Woods

Amount donated in 2010:$67  million (bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiaries: Lawrenceville School and North Shore Country  Day School

Background: Woods is the heir to the Sahara Coal Company  fortune. The bulk of last year’s donation went to the Lawrenceville School, a  private school in New Jersey from  which he graduated and where he was a longtime teacher and chair of the  English department.

#14 David and Patricia Atkinson

#14 David and Patricia Atkinson

Amount donated in 2010: $80  million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: Cornell University

Background: Atkinson is a former partner of Miller, Anderson & Sherrerd, a money management firm. He now runs Atkinson & Company, a  private investment business he owns with his wife. Their gift went  towards a research center focusing on energy, sustainability and the  environment.

#13 Juanita Kious Waugh

#13 	Juanita Kious Waugh

Amount donated in 2010: $83.7 million  (estimated bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiaries: The Mayo Clinic, Saint  Joseph’s College in Indiana

Background: Waugh, who passed away last year, managed her  family’s farms and was the heir to part of their cattle, farming and banking  fortune. She and her parents had  been patients of the Mayo Clinic.

#12 Terrence and Kim Pegula

#12 Terrence and Kim Pegula

Amount donated in 2010: $88  million

Net worth: $3.1 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Pennsylvania State  University

Background: Pegula founded East Resources, an oil and gas  exploration and development company, which he sold to Royal Dutch Shell in 2010  for $4.7 billion. The donation from Pegula, an alumnus, will go towards the  university’s hockey program.

#10 (tie) Mark Zuckerberg

#10 (tie) Mark Zuckerberg

Amount donated in 2010: $100  million

Net worth: $17.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Startup:  Education

Background: Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook, made a huge  donation to his own foundation, which will support programs that benefit the  school system in Newark, N.J. The sum will be paid out over five  years.

#10 (tie) Marc and Lynne Benioff

#10 (tie) Marc and Lynne Benioff

Amount donated in  2010: $100 million

Net worth: $1.9 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: University of California at  San Francisco Children’s Hospital

Background: Benioff is the founder of Salesforce.com. His  daughter was born at the hospital, and he is a member of its  board.

#9 Meyer and Renee Luskin

#9 Meyer and Renee Luskin

Amount  donated in 2010: $100.5 million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: University of California at  Los Angeles

Background: Luskin is the chairman of Scope Industries, a  major maker of animal feed. He is a graduate of UCLA and the  couple’s gift will go towards a variety of academic  programs.

#8 T. Boone Pickens

#8 T. Boone Pickens

Amount  donated in 2010: $101 million

Net worth: $1.45 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: Oklahoma State University and other  charities

Background: The founder of oil company Mesa Petroleum and  energy investment firm BP Capital, Pickens is a graduate of OSU. His donation  will endow need-based scholarships for  students.

#7 Frances Lasker Brody

#7 Frances Lasker Brody

Amount  donated in 2010: $110 million (estimated bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary:The Huntington Library, Art  Collections, and Botanical Gardens

Background: Brody, who passed away in 2009, was the heir to  both the fortune of her father, an advertising pioneer, and her husband Sidney  Brody, a real estate magnate. She was a member of the library’s board of  overseers, and her donation was largely funded by the sale of her vast art  collection.

#6 Leonard Blavatnik

#6 Leonard Blavatnik

Amount  donated in 2010: $117.2 million

Net worth: $9.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: University of  Oxford

Background: Blavatnik is the founder of Access Industries, a  major holding company. He did not attend Oxford, but decided  the university was the right choice after learning that it wanted to create  a school dedicated to “improving government and public-policy practices  globally.”

#5 Edythe and Eli Broad

#5 Edythe and Eli Broad

Amount  donated in 2010: $118.3 million

Net worth: $6.3 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Broad  Foundations

Background: Broad is the founder and chairman of homebuilder  KB Home Corporation and financial services company SunAmerica. The couple’s  foundation supports civic programs, contemporary art museums, education, and  medical and scientific research. Broad  is also funding a new art museum in Los  Angeles.

#4 Irwin and Joan Jacobs

#4 Irwin and Joan Jacobs

Amount donated in 2010:  $119.5 million

Net worth: $1.15 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: University of California at San Diego Health  System, Joan and Irwin Jacobs Fund at the Jewish Community Foundation of San  Diego

Background: Jacobs is a co-founder of Qualcomm, the wireless  communications company. The bulk of their donation went to the UCSD health  system, which is building  a new medical center to be named after the  couple.

#3 T. Denny Sanford

#3 T. Denny Sanford

Amount donated in 2010: $162.5  million

Net worth: $600 million (via The  Daily)

Beneficiaries: Sanford Health Foundation, Sanford-Burnham  Medical Research Institute and the Florida Hospital for  Children

Background: The noted philanthropist is chairman of United  National Corporation, a banking business in South Dakota. His most  recent gift to his foundation will establish a national institute for  research and treatment of breast cancer.

#2 Michael R. Bloomberg

#2 Michael R. Bloomberg

Amount  donated in 2010: $279.2 million

Net worth: $19.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: Arts, human services, public affairs, and  other groups

Background: The founder of Bloomberg LP and Mayor of New  York city gave to 970 different nonprofit groups in 2010. Since 2004, the first  year the Philanthropy list was published,  he has given away well over $100 million  annually.

#1 George Soros

#1 George Soros

Amount donated in 2010: $332  million

Net worth: $22 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Open Society  Foundations

Background: Soros is a financier and the chair of Soros Fund  Management, which manages hedge funds. He’s also the founder of Open Society  Foundations, which supports human rights organizations and democratic  institutions.

Source: Chronicle of Philanthropy

1. Leroy wilson

Oct 2, 2017 at 2:00 pm

I am from a very remote part of New Guinea I have lived a very hard life very weak and weary of living in this world coz not a time I would be happy please help me to live happy as someone else dose a million thanks to you

2. Keisha

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:36 am

How do you get in contact to get help, I am in desperate need. Please

3. Tony J Parker

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:19 pm

What would I do if I had the money to change things in my life and others? I would use the money to make money where I could go out into the world town by town city by city and find people like me who would use their wealth to change other peoples lives.

4. RADHA KRISHNAN.g

May 12, 2015 at 4:32 am

Hello bro and sis, im very happy to hear u guys doing well in donating to human but please if can please help those animals toooooo. thank you and regards. im from Malaysia my name is Radha Krishnan.G . thank you so so much to support the world.

5. Audrey

May 9, 2015 at 12:39 am

I just want to live for the first time in my life without worrying about money. I don’t want to be rich, I love my job, I just wish I could enjoy the fruits of my labour and have enough left over to put away for a secure retirement someday.

6. Tanya Capalla

May 6, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I am in need of 1 million dollars to start a small farm and so I can have all my animals in one place. I can not afford to live in NJ anymore. I have found a small farm with 118 acres in Texas which I love. Land is lush and so much I can do to keep food growing for family so I would have very little need to buy at supermarket. Any amount of donation would be a big help. Thank you,
    Tanya

7. kiki

May 4, 2015 at 11:21 am

please help my family needed the money to pay debt

8. Lydia

May 3, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Surely in this world some people are more blessed than others.
    To Mayweather: How does it feel being USD $100mn rich in just a matter of seconds? Many of us will have to work tirelessly and will never ever get there. Thank God for your talent and the blessing he has given to you this morning!

9. Nigel Gray

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:08 am

Hello My name is Nigel Gray.
    I’M a 43 year old Man who is disabled with severe diabetes.Half of my right foot is gone and I don’t get state or unemployment insurance anymore.I do not wish to bore you with a long story but I’m struggling dear Sir or Man,mentally, physically and.especially.financially. I applied for soc-sec got denied twice further more I’m not getting a hearing until nov-dec 2015. No job will hire me because I only qualify for those physical back breaking jobs.And honestly I couldn’t do if I tried.I already tried and failed miserably. My sickness is got the best of me.There are jobs I could possibly do but a vehicle is required,I got to do something PLEASE somebody help me.Nigel Gray 619-495-5616 Thank You God Bless You Sincerely 🙂

10. Gabriel Winge KUMO

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Hi,

I’m Gabriel Winge Kumo and I’m currently working as an avionics trainee with one of the airlines (airlines PNG) here in my country (Papua New Guinea). This is my fourth year contributing tirelessly towards the company and nation building in little ways but there is no recognition in what I have contributed so far and no body in the administrative level understands and look into my desires of attaining a recognised qualification and training in an aviation school so that I can become a good qualified aircraft maintenance engineer one day where I can contribute meaningfully and live a meaningful life.

I have tried so many things but I have been halted by so many things that I couldn’t stretch my harms so far hope you know what I mean e.g.: due to harsh economic situations here in Papua New Guinea, corruption in Aviation administrations and other related factors such as pay or employment terms and condition

To cut it short I just need someone to sponsor me to an aviation school so that I want to pursue a career in aviation especially in the field of avionics (aircraft maintenance ) so that I want to contribute meaningfully like most people do.

For more information about me and situation affecting me please do not hesitate to enquire and your help will be greatly appreciated and honoured by me.

Gabriel Winge KUMO

11. Juno Rahab Sabeya

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I am running my Dads training institute here in ALOTAU Milne Bay Province PNG. I am thinking of expending the school and I need some money to put up computer laboratory n classrooms as well as dormatries for male n female students.

Could you assist me with K500 000.00 to start off with my set up please.

Thanks

12. Frankie Christy

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:40 am

My sister is in desperate need…..In a few days she and her grandchildren will be living in her car, I cannot put her up as she cannot be around a person that is temperarely living with me. She needs help getting a place to
    live with her grandchildren and I cannot help her. Her name is : Cheryl Bellikka, You can reach her by calling her at 5073693699 or you can mail her at 603 8th Ave SW Austin, Mn 55912 ( that’s my Address…Her mail is being forwarded to me) . I would not be asking for help but she is in desperate need and this is the only thing I can think of to help. Please anyone please help her, She does not deserve this.
    Thank You!

13. Juno Rahab Sabeya

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:07 am

need funding assistance to build a study center for business institution.

14. Fernando T. Reyes

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:07 am

I am FERNANDO TORRES REYES AND a public school principal in the Philippines. I am suffering from heavy debts. I am looking for someone who could help me and grant me a personal loan of USD 25,000.00 to consolidate/buy off my debts. I promise that I am going to pay such loan diligently for a period of 180 months. I just need to consolidate my loans so that my family would still live decently with whats left of my salary. I am not asking for dole-outs but I am asking you to trust me although I know that is very hard and almost impossible to do for most people.

I incurred my debts due to sending my siblings to decent schools so they would have a brighter future than mine and become valuable assets for my country and the world. One of my 2 kids had already graduated with bachelor of Science in Nursing(already licensed) but is still gaining hospital experience through voluntary hospital work. The other one is graduating next year with the course bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering.

My situation I know is just temporary but I need a helping hand to help me get through this. Please help me. If somebody could forward my mail to billionaires with surnames REYES I would be very grateful and I am very positive they won’t hesitate to help me.

15. Ben

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:29 pm

How would I contact each of these billion,millionaires individually thu the e-mails?

• Elizabeth Muthoni

May 4, 2015 at 8:57 am

looking to contact a millionaire or billionaire for the purpose of getting funding for a charitable course. I desire to open a Mini Sanitary pad factory for the poor people especially school girls living in Nairobi kenya.
      I have a project proposal and I need to mail it. Please help me to get Oprah Winfrey’s contact and four other great philanthropists. This is an most urgent matter as these girls do not attend school when they are having their menstural periods. This is a natural thing but they have to spend about one week in the house every month. I am currently stitching the pads for them but the job is now overwhelming. I need help in all fronts. Their parents aren’t able to afford the supermarket ones as they live below the poverty line. earning less than a dollar a day. PLEASE HELP ME help them. I am 54 years and a grand mother of 2

16. Joy Agbo-osakwe

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Hello, my name is Joy-Osakwe, a widow and a mother of four kids. I just need a roof over my head, my accommodation is long expired and the opportunity to start up my businee by year.
    I really want to d give mg kids a good life. A am from Lagos, Nigeria, Wes Africa. Hlep me.

17. Carolyn Revers

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Hello I’m a belizean who has gotten deported frm the U.S. I was raised in California since 5 yrs. I left behind 2children when I was deported 10 yrs ago I haven’t seen them since. I had such a hard time adapting. I felt like Rambo being dumped in a jungle n left alone w nothing or no one to turn to. I started doing hair nails and massage for tourist n would like to open a Spa if you can assist me w 50,000 I would promise to let the whole world know how generous you are to me. U would probably be the first to help someone here in Belize pls help me I can’t do it alone I want to be someone n do something sucessful w/ my life thank u for UR future Generosity

18. Carolyn Revers

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:43 pm

I have been deported frm the U.S for ten yrs now I been out there since I was 5yrs old that is what I know as my home. I felt like I was being dumped here in the middle of the jungle to die. I didn’t know anything about my place of birth. I felt lost n alone far away frm my home w no means of survival. I fell into depression for about 2yrs n then decided this is my home I have to make the best of it despite being treated like an outsider because of my proper English n not knowing how to speak the belizean language. I started looking for wrk n kept getting turned down because they prefer to hire somebody that was not deported. I then went out to the place called the tourist village to freelance and do hair braiding n nails for the tourist when they dock off the ship. I have come a long way many didn’t think I would make it I thought I wouldn’t make it for a while but I know I’m a survivor. I was put out by the officers n other grls because I wasn’t in a union last year the native grls refuses to let me join the union because of resentment that I wasn’t one of them. I have 5children 2 of whom I had to leave behind when I got deported. I’m between a rock n a hard place right now. My goal is to get certified in massage therapy n open a Spa. I pray that you will find it in UR hearts to open up n help my family n I my children hasn’t been to school in 1week and a 1day because they need school supplies shoes n arrears need to be paid for school my light got disconnected n I’m really affraid school will make a complaint plz help me with 50,000 dollars so I’ll never be in this situation again I can’t lose my family my children is all I have out here pls help me help myself all I need is a headstart It’ll be benificial to you also to know Belize is one of the tourist destination that you can contribute to there comfort in having a Spa that’s professional and donated by u the founder plz contact me u won’t be sorry. Thank u for your future generosity it’s highly appreciated.