News

The Top 25 Millionaires & Billionaires That Are Using Their Money To Save The World

Millionaires and Billionaires Giving Money Away

When you think of the word “Philanthropist“, people such as Bill & Melinda Gates, Warren Buffett & Oprah Winfrey may come to mind. These are just a few of the many super rich that have devoted their lives to changing the world for the better through the riches and Success they have made over their lives. Read on to see the list of the Top 25 Richest Millionaires & Billionaires giving away their money to make this world a better place.

Billionaires Giving Away Money

#25 Lee and Jane Seidman

#25 Lee and Jane Seidman

Amount donated in 2010: $42  million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: University Hospitals in  Cleveland

Background: Seidman is the retired founder and president of  the Motorcars Group, a Cleveland-based conglomerate of car dealerships. He  pledged in 2010 to  give away 90% of his wealth before the end of the  year.

#24 Larry Ellison

#24 Larry Ellison

Amount donated in 2010: $45.1  million

Net worth: $39.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Ellison Medical  Foundation

Background: Ellison, the founder of Oracle, started his  foundation in 1997 for biomedical research.

#23 Bennett S. LeBow

#23 Bennett S. LeBow

Amount donated in 2010: $49  million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: Drexel  University

Background: LeBow is the chairman and CEO of Borders and  chairman of the Vector Group, a holding company for manufacturers of cigarettes.  He’s a graduate of Drexel and the university’s business school bears his  name.

#19 (tie) P. Roy and Diana Vagelos

#19 (tie) P. Roy and Diana Vagelos

Amount donated in 2010: $50  million

Net worth: $535 million (via the National  Herald)

Beneficiary: Columbia University Medical  Center

Background: Dr. Vagelos is the former CEO and chairman of  pharmaceutical giant Merck. He’s an alumnus of the medical school associated  with the hospital.

#19 (tie) Paul Ichiro Terasaki

#19 (tie) Paul Ichiro Terasaki

Amount  donated in 2010: $50 million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: University of California at  Los Angeles

Background: Dr. Terasaki is a pioneer  in the field of organ transplant medicine. In 1946 he developed the test  that became the international standard method for tissue typing. He conducted  his research in the university’s  laboratories.

#19 (tie) Ming Hsieh

#19 (tie) Ming Hsieh

Amount donated in  2010: $50 million

Net worth: $1.6 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: University of Southern  California

Background: Hsieh founded AMAX Information Technologies, a  computer server and storage systems maker, and Cogent, which develops automated  fingerprint-identification systems. He’s a graduate  of the school, as well as a trustee.

#19 (tie) Ned Evans

#19 (tie) Ned Evans

Amount  donated in 2010: $50 million

Net worth: $6.5 billion (via Boston  Magazine)

Beneficiary: Yale  University

Background: Evans, who passed away last year, was a private  investor and the chairman of publishing company Macmillan from 1979 to 1989. He  was also a well-known horse breeder, as well as an alumnus of  Yale.

#18 Charles E. Kaufman

#18 Charles E. Kaufman

Amount donated in 2010: $53.3 million (estimated bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiaries: The Pittsburgh Foundation and other  charities

Background: Kaufman, who passed away last year, was an  investor and the former director of purchasing at pharmaceutical company Merck.  His gift will support research in biology, chemistry, and  physics

#17 Bill and Karen Ackman

#17 Bill and Karen Ackman

Amount  donated in 2010: $59.3 million

Net worth: $700 million (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Pershing Square  Foundation

Background: Ackman is the founder of New York-based hedge  fund Pershing Square Capital Management. Along with his wife, he created  the Pershing Square Foundation in 2006 to support education, human rights,  social entrepreneurship, and other causes.

#16 Pierre and Pam Omidyar

#16 Pierre and Pam Omidyar

Amount  donated in 2010: $61.5 million

Net worth: $6.2 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: HopeLab, Humanity United, Omidyar Network,  and the Ulupono Initiative

Background: Omidyar is the founder of eBay. His wife is the  chairwoman of HopeLab, a  nonprofit that develops technology to benefit chronically ill  children.

#15 Henry C. Jr. and Jane Woods

#15 Henry C. Jr. and Jane Woods

Amount donated in 2010:$67  million (bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiaries: Lawrenceville School and North Shore Country  Day School

Background: Woods is the heir to the Sahara Coal Company  fortune. The bulk of last year’s donation went to the Lawrenceville School, a  private school in New Jersey from  which he graduated and where he was a longtime teacher and chair of the  English department.

#14 David and Patricia Atkinson

#14 David and Patricia Atkinson

Amount donated in 2010: $80  million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: Cornell University

Background: Atkinson is a former partner of Miller, Anderson & Sherrerd, a money management firm. He now runs Atkinson & Company, a  private investment business he owns with his wife. Their gift went  towards a research center focusing on energy, sustainability and the  environment.

#13 Juanita Kious Waugh

#13 	Juanita Kious Waugh

Amount donated in 2010: $83.7 million  (estimated bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiaries: The Mayo Clinic, Saint  Joseph’s College in Indiana

Background: Waugh, who passed away last year, managed her  family’s farms and was the heir to part of their cattle, farming and banking  fortune. She and her parents had  been patients of the Mayo Clinic.

#12 Terrence and Kim Pegula

#12 Terrence and Kim Pegula

Amount donated in 2010: $88  million

Net worth: $3.1 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Pennsylvania State  University

Background: Pegula founded East Resources, an oil and gas  exploration and development company, which he sold to Royal Dutch Shell in 2010  for $4.7 billion. The donation from Pegula, an alumnus, will go towards the  university’s hockey program.

#10 (tie) Mark Zuckerberg

#10 (tie) Mark Zuckerberg

Amount donated in 2010: $100  million

Net worth: $17.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Startup:  Education

Background: Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook, made a huge  donation to his own foundation, which will support programs that benefit the  school system in Newark, N.J. The sum will be paid out over five  years.

#10 (tie) Marc and Lynne Benioff

#10 (tie) Marc and Lynne Benioff

Amount donated in  2010: $100 million

Net worth: $1.9 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: University of California at  San Francisco Children’s Hospital

Background: Benioff is the founder of Salesforce.com. His  daughter was born at the hospital, and he is a member of its  board.

#9 Meyer and Renee Luskin

#9 Meyer and Renee Luskin

Amount  donated in 2010: $100.5 million

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary: University of California at  Los Angeles

Background: Luskin is the chairman of Scope Industries, a  major maker of animal feed. He is a graduate of UCLA and the  couple’s gift will go towards a variety of academic  programs.

#8 T. Boone Pickens

#8 T. Boone Pickens

Amount  donated in 2010: $101 million

Net worth: $1.45 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: Oklahoma State University and other  charities

Background: The founder of oil company Mesa Petroleum and  energy investment firm BP Capital, Pickens is a graduate of OSU. His donation  will endow need-based scholarships for  students.

#7 Frances Lasker Brody

#7 Frances Lasker Brody

Amount  donated in 2010: $110 million (estimated bequest)

Net worth: Not available

Beneficiary:The Huntington Library, Art  Collections, and Botanical Gardens

Background: Brody, who passed away in 2009, was the heir to  both the fortune of her father, an advertising pioneer, and her husband Sidney  Brody, a real estate magnate. She was a member of the library’s board of  overseers, and her donation was largely funded by the sale of her vast art  collection.

#6 Leonard Blavatnik

#6 Leonard Blavatnik

Amount  donated in 2010: $117.2 million

Net worth: $9.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: University of  Oxford

Background: Blavatnik is the founder of Access Industries, a  major holding company. He did not attend Oxford, but decided  the university was the right choice after learning that it wanted to create  a school dedicated to “improving government and public-policy practices  globally.”

#5 Edythe and Eli Broad

#5 Edythe and Eli Broad

Amount  donated in 2010: $118.3 million

Net worth: $6.3 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Broad  Foundations

Background: Broad is the founder and chairman of homebuilder  KB Home Corporation and financial services company SunAmerica. The couple’s  foundation supports civic programs, contemporary art museums, education, and  medical and scientific research. Broad  is also funding a new art museum in Los  Angeles.

#4 Irwin and Joan Jacobs

#4 Irwin and Joan Jacobs

Amount donated in 2010:  $119.5 million

Net worth: $1.15 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: University of California at San Diego Health  System, Joan and Irwin Jacobs Fund at the Jewish Community Foundation of San  Diego

Background: Jacobs is a co-founder of Qualcomm, the wireless  communications company. The bulk of their donation went to the UCSD health  system, which is building  a new medical center to be named after the  couple.

#3 T. Denny Sanford

#3 T. Denny Sanford

Amount donated in 2010: $162.5  million

Net worth: $600 million (via The  Daily)

Beneficiaries: Sanford Health Foundation, Sanford-Burnham  Medical Research Institute and the Florida Hospital for  Children

Background: The noted philanthropist is chairman of United  National Corporation, a banking business in South Dakota. His most  recent gift to his foundation will establish a national institute for  research and treatment of breast cancer.

#2 Michael R. Bloomberg

#2 Michael R. Bloomberg

Amount  donated in 2010: $279.2 million

Net worth: $19.5 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiaries: Arts, human services, public affairs, and  other groups

Background: The founder of Bloomberg LP and Mayor of New  York city gave to 970 different nonprofit groups in 2010. Since 2004, the first  year the Philanthropy list was published,  he has given away well over $100 million  annually.

#1 George Soros

#1 George Soros

Amount donated in 2010: $332  million

Net worth: $22 billion (via Forbes)

Beneficiary: Open Society  Foundations

Background: Soros is a financier and the chair of Soros Fund  Management, which manages hedge funds. He’s also the founder of Open Society  Foundations, which supports human rights organizations and democratic  institutions.

Source: Chronicle of Philanthropy

1. Abdou

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:13 am

I ‘ve got a great young Mauritanian problem is solved I give him something more precious than wealth and Hama promise me and thank you

2. annette smith

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:17 am

hello i am 63 and would like financial help to buy a business as we are unemployed both husband and i and this would create a job for us and other family members..this is hand up and then we can help ourselves..please email me if you can be of help…much appreciated…then we can employ others who are in same situation..cheers

3. Beth Hart

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:12 am

My name is Beth. You don’t know me and I only know of you what i can read in books and on the Internet. I live in Australia and am asking the same thing I know thousand and thousands on people around the world have also done. I’m asking for your help. I’m stuck and find myself getting nowhere. I owe my bank $35,000 and am struggling with every bone in my body to keep up with it. I know who ever read this may laugh and think that that is only a small amount but to me that is huge. I know people lose houses and larger amounts of money everyday. & I feel for these people too. I study a full-time diploma in nursing so I’m limited to days and time to which I can dedicate to study. I work 24 hour sleep over shifts as a disability support Woking and have just started another job with a nursing agency. I’m trying as hard as I can to get somewhere but it doesn’t seem to happen. The loans were originally taken out for my brother to who only paid some back and now with trying to study and being on unpaid study placements I’ve had to keep withdrawing from them and with every withdrawal comes more interest. I know people ask you for financial help all the time and I know I am no different to anyone else but it is mentally and physically stressing me to the max. I feel like I’m in a hole I can no get out off. I can show what ever proof you need me to show. I’m 24 and I’m struggling mentally and physically. I feel angry all the time so I withdraw from people. I hate feeling like this. This debt can affect me lending for a house on the future and I still have a study loan on top of all of this. Please help me. I’m trying. Really I am but I’m at the point where I’m breaking and am putting my pride aside for 5 minutes to ask somebody for help. I know it’s a long shot but please help.
    Thank you to whomever read this, your time is appreciated.
    Beth Hart.

4. nickola hill

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:02 pm

I need someone to help me I need 500 pound plz I’m not a lazy but I do work full time I don’t do drugs or.drink I don’t even go out but I’m in a rut at the minute and could do with a helping hand .. I just need to pay a few bills off but I can’t afford it on my wage so plz would someone find it in there heart to help me plz I would be very great full

5. GEORGIA

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:49 am

Hello my name is Georgia and I am need of some help please I have lived a hard life all my life and tried so hard to make ends meet but I am a 48 yr old lady wos worked hard all my life and I live 3hrs away from my kids and grandkids I have lost my job again and have not much money at all and all I want is a little help that first step that’s so hard to do is I have been trying for yrs now to get a car and a home close to my kids and grandkids so I can be with them and enjoy the rest of my life with them I am the only family they have lefted now so please if u can help//////????????????? thank y and god bless u all

6. winnie

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Am ineed of money plz good people help me I want to futhur my studies

7. Ahmed H.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:52 pm

I would like to establish a special institute to teach the children of the world’s languages. To create a spirit of understanding and co-existence in the world and renounce all ethnic and religious discrimination and all types of persecution and the Institute logo Yes to humanity. All the world’s rich have them contribute to the foundation. Donate something a little money to be a founder of the institute. Thank you in advance.

8. tharika

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:57 pm

i want money help for my charity programme.

9. tharika

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:58 pm

i want help for charity

10. lusanda

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:45 am

Hello am a 25 year old lady I was like someone 2 plz help me I he 3 children all boy’s I wud nt call them mistakes as they wr nt made threw rape bt am a single parent 2 them am studying nd wrking in the evenings so that I cn also pay 4 our education bt it’s been a tough journey bt threw christ I am still able 2 put food on the tble I wud like for someone 2 plz help me with they education as I wnt the best for them nd education is very important.

11. Landon Zunk

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:40 am

Back in 2005 I was driving my Tpyota Corolla in the country. The sun totally blinded me and I got in the worst possible car wreck I could be in. I should have just died so I am sorry if I’m bothering you with this. I will Ben more than happy with any money I could get at all.
    Bye

12. Maria

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:37 pm

I need a big help immediately, because, my fathers is not well and he need help as he had 2 strokes and i have so much bills, debits, and rent on arrears, also, i would like to some healthy treatment, as dentist

13. shay

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Hello, I am in serious trouble financially and I am 35,000 in debt.
    My credit is now extremely poor and cant get any form of loan.
    I wont lie and make up storys. I was happy and in a stable job with a steady income but then it all changed.. I got myself into gambling and kept losing money trying to chase the money I had lost! I know its my own mistake although I say I was influenced but now I have Banned myself from all the casinos and want to start afresh.
    Please please please if their is someone out their who can help me in any way You would be saving not just me but my entire family.

14. Paul

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:21 am

Hi, my name is Paul, I am currently in a bad financial position and am asking for help to get me out of it, I believed and trusted a so called friend who scammed me, I have spent the last year trying to recover but to no avail, my wife and I are good people trying to build a future for our family, as I have a bad credit rating I am finding it impossible to borrow money from any financial institutions, all I need is a break so I can prove myself, at the moment I can’t even put enough food on the table and am finding it hard to get enough money to pay my rent, please I implore you, if there is anyone who can help me to get out of this situation I would appreciate it, I need to pay off debts of approximately $40000 to clean up my credit history and to prove myself to my family, I am in dire need asap…

15. Shella Cardona

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Hallo ! I’m hoping that someone here could help me.I only need $200 dollars for a help.I will buy medicine for my mother and to give help for my grandmother.May someone here could help me.Thanks and God bless.

16. Tamara

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:43 pm

All I want to do is get AWAY from a negative family member by moving out officially! This person is DRAINING me! I want the best for myself and living with this person is causing me tofail at everything I start! I’m trying to become an entrepreneur and It’s not a piece of cake. No support system, living I a cluttered house all because of someone else’s emotional baggage and negativity, no supportive friends nor family….I’m TIRED OF THIS!!! I want to have a life finally….I wont be in my 20s forever….I want to finish school and enjoy life at the same time bytraveling and joining dance n exercise classes n meditation. I need to surround myself with my own positive energy since it’s so hard to find positive people to surround myself with. So hard to find a job, to make money from home….as much as I never believed this but at times I wonder if I’m cursed. I know that I wasn’t brought here on earth to live like this. A nice lump some of cash like $100,000 would be a dream come true! I would love to ask a millionaire for this amount but I don’t know how! Write a letter yes but how do I get an address? And even anemail address? Please help me, I don’t like asking for help, I would rather help others! But I this case I REALLY REALLY need some help. I don’t know what else to do. I pray, practice the law of attraction, practice gratitude but none plus my own physical work to help myself succeed but nothing is working! I’ve been trying for months now. Please help me this one timeand I PROMISE to pay it forward for I have a big heart already!!!! I said to myself and to God that I’m not trying to become a millionaire but if I do become one that I would alwYs be giving and helping. This is my nature to give and help. I just need a chance to make it all happen already. Thanks in advance for your help! 🙂

17. patricia johnson

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:26 am

Hello. I am a nursing student and I need money to pay off my tuition which is due 4/6/15. I also need help to pay off my car to Hyundai motor finance company. I can prove all of this. Is there anyone who can help me? God bless you.

18. Elder Lopez

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:31 pm

hello my name is Elder
    My biggest dream is to someday be able to help my family
    and have the privilege of having a new car
    that’s my big dream
    please help me you are in good heart
    god bless you now and forever

19. RAM

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I needed money to improve and expand my business. If any sponsor is there let me know. Thanks.

20. Mae

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:14 pm

My insurance paid 80% of medical bills, and I owe several hospitals. One bill was $356.000.00.