Success Advice

Why Successful People Leave Their Loser Friends Behind

Tony Robbins Marc Benioff, Richard Branson Successful Friends

We all want to be amazing. We all want to be successful, happy, and regarded as important figures in our fields. I am sure that you’ve heard all of the keys to success before: planning, hard work, perseverance, etc.

But today we are going to look at the one factor that will likely make or break your success: the people you surround yourself with.

“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” – Jim Rohn

Want to be Amazing? Surround Yourself with Amazing People

The Make or Break List

A good friend of mine once told me of a man he knows who brought himself up from rags to riches.  Living paycheck to paycheck was a luxury for this man, and he decided that he was tired of being trapped by his own life. The poor man looked around at his friends, and noticed that one of them – who wasn’t particularly smart or more talented – had become quite wealthy. He asked this man how he accrued this wealth, how he was able to become a millionaire. The wealthy man’s response was simple: “keep the right company.”

The man took that advice to heart. He quickly noticed that all of the other friends he had hated hard work and had no desire to improve themselves. So he sought out new friends, he went around to conventions and seminars to connect with people who had made something of themselves. After he had completely replaced the people in his network, he decided to make a list. This list was simple. It had a column for people who would improve his life, and a column for people who would drag him down.

If someone could improve his life, he spent as much time around them as possible. If someone could drag him down, he never spent more than five minutes around them. After following his “make or break” list, the man was able to become a millionaire within three years.

No One does it Alone

Better Friends Help To Be SuccessfulThe five-minute rule may be a little extreme, but there is an important lesson to learn from it: if you surround yourself with positive people who build you up, the sky is the limit.

There is an ideal in our society of the “self-made” man – a man who is able to find success through his own efforts. Now, don’t get me wrong, success does require an immense amount of determination and personal grit. However, success also depends on the ability to connect with people who have already made it.

There was once a man named Ernest Hemingway. If you aren’t familiar with Ernest Hemingway, he was one of the greatest American writers of all time. Even a great writer like Hemingway didn’t succeed on his own. He worked at a newspaper where his boss – a writer named Sherwood Anderson – helped him get his first novel published. Hemingway then connected with other no-name writers like F. Scott Fitzgerald, Virginia Woolf, and James Joyce.

This community of great writers helped to influence his style, success, and drove him to write every single day and become one of the greatest authors of his generation.

Hemingway is a testament to the fact that innate talent alone does not equal success. It’s hard to keep up a strict schedule to perfect your craft or improve yourself if you don’t have people around you with similar interests. Your network – your five key people – will determine the way you think, the way you act, and the way you approach your life goals.

Three Essential People

A mentor once told me that no matter how many close people you have in your network, if you want to be truly great, you must have three essential people in your life at all times:

1. A person who is older and more successful than you to learn from
  2. A person who is equal to you to exchange ideas with
  3. A person below you to coach and keep you energized

A great figure of history who embodied this principle was Aristotle. Aristotle was one of the greatest minds to ever grace this beautiful Earth, but this was only so because he was constantly challenging himself and working to refine his talents. He exchanged ideas with other Greek philosophers in the “Academy,” learned from his mentor Plato, and taught a young boy named Alexander…who would later become “Alexander the Great.”

Better Successful People Around YouEvery great person was, is, or will be successful because of the company he or she keeps. They will make an impact because of a successful network of driven peers who provide both inspiration and healthy competition.

If you want to be remarkable, you must constantly challenge yourself and surround yourself with remarkable people. So think about what your goals are, and take a look around you. Do you need to write a “make or break” list?

Do you have the kind of people who are going to lead you to live the life of your dreams?

Don’t join an easy crowd. Go where the expectations and the demands to perform and achieve are high.” – Jim Rohn

Joel-Brown-Successful-People-Friends

Strive to be better. Strive to be more. Strive to be amazing.

Brenton Weyi is a writer and social entrepreneur with an expertise in creating social movements through business and encouraging inspiration through writing. His company, Groupe Weyi, works with villagers in Central Africa to create lasting change through fair trade of resources. He also has a website for personal development and storytelling called Orastories. Follow him on twitter @bweyi.

1. david chikoani

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:22 am

Great and interesting article.

2. Girish

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:11 am

I was with such bad company before and I used to blame everything and everyone for my bad financial status/my bad life etc… Eversince I understood the concept that your surrounding shapes your personality, I committed myself and swore to get rid of such friends… I din’t completely discontinue from them, but simply balanced by keeping myself busy… with that I can say my life is lot lot better now and I now have 1 perfect friend with whom I always feel uplifted and I’m thankful fo this 🙂 and its a great article, thanks!!

3. Matt Evans

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

I like the spirit of the piece and I agree that you need to be aware of the company you keep. I think the author could reflect on Epicurus rather than Aristotle or Hemmingway however as a source of inspiration. Epicurus is often incorrectly associated with gluttony but his focus was directed towards on the company you keep and the meaning of life. This article has a tendency to ring a little hollow because it reads as if it’s looking at people as measured tools rather than their inspirational or deeper values. As an ex-pat in the nordics I know how important it is to surround yourself – it’s not easy to make a network up here – but I’m also aware of the need to hold and support those you love for no logical reason because leaving them for the wrong reasons can make you hollow inside; and no matter how much money you have you won’t fill that void.

• Brenton Weyi (@bweyi)

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:21 am

Matt,

I actually have an extensive academic background in philosophy. Epicurus is an interesting call — I do believe that his teaching were misunderstood. However, Aristotle was more applicable to the point that I was making, and Epicurus was a big advocate of avoiding pain. While I believe that no one likes to experience pain, struggles and challenges are the most effective teachers in life. And life itself is a struggle to make ourselves more able, more inspired, and more empathetic.

A lot of Asian philosophy teaches that once we become happier with ourselves, we should actually work to seek the troubled corners of the world and use pain to relate to people and give something substantial back tot the world. Though, I do believe in Epicurus’ idea of surrounding yourself with the right people (obviously).

Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate your thoughts!

4. rosemary mckeon (@rosebudmac)

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:06 am

I think in life you must surround yourself with positive people, but they don’t have to be rich or successful. I surround myself with nice honest people, and don’t have negative influences in my life..you can find your riches in the love and support from good friends and family,this I promise will make you successful in life.

• Brenton Weyi (@bweyi)

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:12 am

Rosemary,

I completely agree. “Success” means different things for different people. I think as long as you have positive influences, and continue to improve your life, you will find the richness of beautiful human relationships and constant progress in whatever life path you choose

5. joe james

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:43 am

yes failur is a process of learning more.but another important thingis the opurtunity to retry if one fails.

6. Tom

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:57 am

But if I’m just an average of the 5 people I spend time around, and they’re all just averages of 5 people they spend time with… Are we all just vague imitations of other people who are vague imitations of other people? If everyone followed this column’s advice, wouldn’t society turn into a collection of empty, fake people all trying to surround themselves with the same few people so they can convince other people (and possibly themselves) that they’re successful?

• Maureen 'momo' Waithera

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:02 am

This is the same thing I was asking, dont get me wrong, I do not think the idea is silly but just putting it into practice. Aren’t you also a key factor in who those other people are spending time with… I guess its important to focus on adding value to those people and also finding new people on the side who are a represantation of who you want to be.

7. Ron Hunt

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:21 am

This is so so true! Look at my on life. Once I change the my company my life changed

8. david

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:08 am

Hemingway killed himself. Sweet example.

9. Austin

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:04 pm

What about Jesus? He had his apostles, but mainly surrounded himself with the poor, sick, needy, etc.

• Scott

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Actually. Jesus didnt necessarily surround himself with the poor, sick, etc. He made himself available to them in miniistry as needed. However, if you noticed almost everytime he finished ministering to them, he went off to spend time alone to pray with the father. Then out of his 12 Disciples, there were 3 that he was closest to and were his confidants: Peter, James and John. Those were the three that he shared things with that he did not do with the others. So there is a bit of work of this principle in his life also.

• Joel D Valencia

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:51 pm

He was in contact with the Creator everyday. What a mentor!

• jack

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:26 pm

he was crucified ….

• Joel D Valencia

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm

And resurrected. His mentor was the Creator. GOD. What better company.

• Kevlar

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Whole lotta good it did him…

10. IC, INDY 500 (@INDIA_CELESTE)

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I agree with Daniel… in the professional sense, yes, you have to keep certain company. But a person’s friends and relationships shouldn’t all revolve around someone’s benefit to you in terms of career. Some people will never attain the same amount of success but it doesn’t mean that they don’t enhance your life in more personal, spiritual ways. As long as your friends aren’t bumming from you or trying to take advantage of your strides forward, don’t dump them. Business people tend to be all about business and when your interest no longer serves theirs they won’t hesitate to replace you.

11. Ian

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Personally, I don’t see this as desirable. It sounds a little hollow at the core.

12. Bal Singh

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:39 pm

maybe one of the so called looser friends should also one of the three who may become, (well lets hope not Alexander the —- not sure to call a plunder great) a great also.
    otherwise a good article

13. Alabi modupeola Yinti

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Thanks so much for writting this!is full of truth.

14. Tim Lam

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:16 pm

This is dumb. Leave your friends when you find better ones?

15. Mike

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Jim Rohn had some fundamental but amazing knowledge that should be followed.

16. Daniel Elrington

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Actually, “leaving your loser friends behind” sounds very negative. Personal success is great, but don’t be totally selfish. Compassion and care for all beings are very positive qualities and and need to be nurtured by all of us. Instead of leaving a “loser” behind, love and care for them selflessly until you help raise their consciousness. If you’re really a strong, successful and inspired (in spirit) type person, then you will understand this wisdom.

• Ron

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:32 pm

What you speak of is the third aspect of what he is saying “A person below you to teach etc..”

You MUST leave loser friends behind or risk taking on their characteristics. The people he is talking about are those that refuse to want to learn, who are stuck in bad habits and don’t see them as bad or are jealous of you and only bring negative energy. Those people do not deserve compassion from those they bring down, they deserve the cell of their own attitude.

• Nemo Fishman

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Yes. The loser friends you described are the exact reason I’m on this article. Jealousy, negativity, uninspiring and lazy. I have one good friend as of now who constantly and genuinely looks forward to my success and he’s INVALUABLE to me. Over the years I’ve tried to convince him to get into business too, even offering to stake him if he chooses too but he’s a simple guy (just wants a few cars and a 2 story house with a picket fence). Would not trade our friendship for anything. Now I just need to find my equal and an older mentor and I’ll be golden.

• robert

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:26 am

I do agree with Daniel.

• Brenton Weyi (@bweyi)

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Daniel, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think that fostering a sense of compassion and inspiring others is what everyone should strive to do. In fact, I just wrote a book about that, and base my entire website on the foundation of helping others to better yourself and the world.

The only issue is that people are products of their environment — no matter what age. Some people in negative environments can rise above that fact because they are truly incredible people. But the fact is,those people are rare, and perhaps you are one of them.

But for most other people, myself included, who you spend time with determines a lot of your character. My article isn’t just about “getting rich” or gaining success. It’s about being around people who will help you cultivate your desires and character as an individual. That’s not to say that you should never be around people who won’t advance your career. But you should spend as much time around people who will help you improve, as Ron rightly pointed out, so that you get better and better at creating meaning in the world.

Thanks so much for your comment. Your perspective is an important one

17. Peter

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I agree

18. Natalie

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm

This is amazing. Thank you so much for writing this! There is so much truth to it!

19. Ali Davies

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:38 pm

A great reminder that you become what you surround yourself with

20. Stu

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Great article!

Success Advice

3 Areas You Should Focus on to Become a Great Leader

how to be a great leader

Having listened to all of our stakeholders and being fully aware of the situation, spring is a good time to conduct a quarterly review to see exactly where we are in order. This helps us have a clear starting point to re-adjust our goals for the coming year.

One of the main problems tends to be that we look back at the things we haven’t done and where we didn’t get the results we intended. Because of this, we get ourselves in a state of anxiety which is hardly a resourceful state for setting positive goals.

A better approach is to be nice to ourselves. Have a look back over the last three months and check all the things you have achieved. Give yourself a treat for all of the things you planned to achieve and did. They may be something as simple as maintaining a to-do list or smiling more.

Afterwards, think of all the things you achieved which weren’t planned and congratulate yourself on your flexibility and creativity; for the person with the greatest flexibility of behaviour controls the outcomes.

For those results that weren’t as you intended, remind yourself that we all make the correct choice at the time we make it. We don’t deliberately make the wrong choices and whatever the outcome, there’s always a positive intention. There’s no failure, only feedback, and we learn more from our failures than we do our successes.

“Be good to yourself. Listen to your body, to your heart. We’re very hard on ourselves, and we’re always feeling like we’re not doing enough. It’s a terribly hard job.” – Marcia Wallace

Look to yourself

It is vital, especially for sole proprietors or owner/managers, to manage themselves in order to be fit, healthy, and relatively happy. Evidence points to a clear relationship between our moods and assorted aspects of job performance such as decision-making, creativity, teamwork, negotiation and leadership.

While success may put us in a good mood, an organisation that sees the glass as half full rather than half empty, stands a better chance in these difficult times.

Depressed individuals will always see the glass as half-empty and even rapidly emptying. This attitude saps energy and leaves those affected feeling worthless, helpless, and hopeless. In its worst case, depression can impair the ability to communicate and it’s not hard to see the organisational parallels.

Below are three elements within all of us that need to be taken care of:

1. Your mind

The key to a healthy mind is variety, so take an interest in other people, things, events and current affairs. Adopting an open and curious mindset allows us to see future possibilities and hence be more empowered.

2. Your body

A healthy body requires a solid routine. Ensure you eat and drink healthy products (especially water) and get plenty of rest and exercise. Knowing our own limitations and taking action to stay within them ensures we operate at our best.

3. Your spirit

Much has been written about feeding or maintaining the spirit but I believe there is one simple rule. Believe in something that is true to you and spend time each day with your true beliefs. Solitude is the nurse of enthusiasm and is as needful to the imagination as friends are to our character.

“Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.” – Dolly Parton

Beyond individual performance, there are broader issues at stake. None of us are islands, happy in our own little depressed world. Moods, good or bad, are infectious and some people or positions can have a greater ripple effect than others. If a shy apprentice has a gloomy outlook, few may notice. But if people like the owner/manager are wandering around looking like the end of the world is coming, that can directly affect team spirit.

Water bearer or well poisoner

So what can the organisation do? Firstly, as individuals, we must show a positive and upbeat demeanor. That’s not easy and faking it will easily be spotted as the deception will be transparent. This isn’t unauthentic, but merely an attempt to empower ourselves.

Congruent leadership offers the means to put into words what it is you are experiencing with the person in order so your behaviour is consistent with your own values and beliefs such that you always appear to be what you desire to be.

Your mood as a leader then is highly contagious. Even though leaders or opinion formers aren’t always in leadership positions, they’re at the centre of informal networks. They have charisma and magnetism, possess strong opinions, and express them forcefully. Therefore, they have considerable social power and can have a direct effect on morale by being a water bearer or well poisoner. Which are you today?

What resonated most with you about this article and leadership? Share your thoughts below!

Success Advice

The 6 Step Process for Delivering Critical Feedback in a Constructive Way

how to deliver constructive feedback

We have all been in the position where we knew we needed to have a difficult conversation at work that involved delivering constructive feedback. Maybe a major deadline was missed, there was a clear decline in performance, or someone blatantly dropped the ball. Most of us avoid delivering the feedback, and the conversation can get pushed back again and again, wasting valuable time and money.

Delivering constructive feedback is challenging, and uncomfortable for most people, even highly trained leaders. Yet, delivering and accepting feedback is one of the most important keys for success. So why do we avoid these conversations? Because we never learned how to have them.

Open, honest, direct communication is not a skill we are taught in school. There is no “How to Have Tough Conversations” 101. As a clinical psychologist that specializes in couples work, I see just how important communication is in maintaining thriving relationships. I understand that good communication is the foundation of every successful relationship; both intimate relationships and your work relationships.

Below is a 6-step guide to providing constructive feedback:

Step 1: Clarity on the Goal of the Conversation

The first step is to get clear on the goal of the feedback conversation. Are you planning to see a change in performance, simply communicate how you felt, or receive an apology? Get clear on what you are hoping to get out of the conversation. Be honest with yourself about what you need, what is most helpful to the relationship, and what is most helpful to the organization. Getting clear on the goal also ensures you are speaking with the right person.

“I think it’s very important to have a feedback loop, where you’re constantly thinking about what you’ve done and how you could be doing it better.” – Elon Musk

Step 2: Invitation

Set up a time to talk. Feedback conversations are not meant to be had in the hallway. It is important that both parties can set aside adequate time and have the space needed for dialogue. Additionally, there must be respect for both parties’ need for time to process information. For example, if you are delivering feedback, and the receiver needs time to process the feedback before responding, setting up a subsequent meeting will be most helpful.

Step 3: Ownership

Own the role you played in creating the situation. When you model ownership of blind spots, failures, or missteps, you set the stage for the receiver to do the same. For example, you may acknowledge that you were not aware of how to support your employee and not aware of the problem until x situation occurred. Equally important as owning your role, is owning your emotions. Own your emotions using “I” statements. For example, “I felt disappointed when I realized your sales performance had substantially declined”.

Step 4: Open, Honest, Direct Feedback

Feedback that dances around the problem does not do anyone any good. It only increases anxiety on behalf of the receiver, and potentially causes the feedback to get totally lost. The conversation needs to be open, honest, and direct. For example: “I felt concerned when you did not attend the last two strategy calls this month…It brought up questions for me about your commitment to the company.”

Step 5: Listen, Validate and Accept

When providing feedback, it is important both parties maintain an open mind, and respond in a way that communicates validation and acceptance. As soon as an individual gets defensive, feedback cannot be taken in, and the value of the conversation dramatically decreases. When providing feedback it is important to listen, validate, and accept your receiver’s viewpoint. Notice, I did not say agree. This looks something like saying: “I can see why X led you to commit Y , I understand you were under a great deal of stress/dealing with a personal situation/frustrated.”

“We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.” – Bill Gates

Step 6: A Clear Plan for Moving Forward

In providing feedback, the magic is that now things can change! If feedback is never given, relationships end, things will stay the same, businesses will die, and money will be lost. If you have gotten to this step, that means you did the hard work, and now you get to put change into action. A clear plan includes an acknowledgement from both parties regarding what they will do differently to prevent the situation from occurring again, and how they will stay accountable in making the change happen.

The good news about delivering feedback is that the more you do it, the easier it gets. Remember, giving and receiving feedback is one of the most surefire ways to open yourself up to massive growth.

As a giver of feedback, it is your job to model openness and a desire for growth, so that the receiver may take in the feedback and make the necessary changes. Exceling at feedback delivery will help you set you apart from others and enable you to achieve extraordinary relationships, in both your personal and work lives.

Success Advice

Here Are 4 Reasons Why You Should Have a Podcast, Youtube Channel or Online Show

why you should have a podcast

Confidence comes from a place of strong understanding of self. After close to three years on radio, I’ve grown from a shy introvert to a shy introvert with an extrovert persona. When the mic is turned on, I can channel a version of myself that some say is attractive, strong, and of course, confident but it wasn’t always this way.

What I want to share with you is what I discovered on this journey into broadcast that you can apply to your life, your ventures, and your personal development. This doesn’t require any fancy gear. It does require a leap of faith on your part because once you go down the road of media; it can change your life.

1. Perceived Expertise

When you go to a doctor, you expect their knowledge will guide them to a solution to your problems. When you have a show, you become your listeners’ doctor. For all the multiple thousands, maybe millions, of YouTube channels, podcasts, and user-created content in the world, each person that gets behind a mic takes a position on their passion, their opinions, and their themes.

They challenge the status quo for the benefit of their listeners in hopes to entertain and educate. With consistency on your side, those fans place you on a platform and give you permission to influence them.

2. Global Acknowledgement

One of the benefits to increasing confidence is when you receive thank you notes from people you may never meet. The feeling of enriching someone’s life from halfway around the globe, provides validation you’re enhancing someone else’s life with your wisdom and your wit.

The very first time I was told I was making a difference in someone’s life in a country other than my own, I felt like I caused massive impact that transcends my circle of influence. When you experience just how much you can cause impact and it comes back to you, it’ll change your worldview.

“Be grateful for what you have and stop complaining – it bores everybody else, does you no good, and doesn’t solve any problems.” – Zig Ziglar

3. Backed By Numbers

One of the most exciting ways to measure success is to quantify your growth. It’s not enough to just broadcast. Having subscribers and downloads helps to know, numerically, how well you’re doing. Word of caution. This can be a way to set yourself up for distress because of number envy but if you understand what the numbers mean; you can control the narrative of the numbers.

The major number that makes most people smile is 10,000. I’d advise it to be 1. Here’s why. As you grow in your industry, so does your reach. If you learned that the one person that subscribed totally changed for the better because of you, wouldn’t that be worth the effort?

4. Effective Communication

While it’s not talked about much, having a show is documentation. You create a dynamic account of your life, your industry, and the pulse on what’s important simply by having a show. When you find a channel to improve your communication skills, you demand attention and people will listen to you. You become more trusted as a leader and people will follow you once they believe you can lead them to their wants and needs.

“To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others.” – Tony Robbins

These insights have helped many people become leaders and, ultimately, move others to their best selves. It’s worked for me and I hope it works for you. At the end of the day, it’s all about showing up and showing out.

Have you ever thought about having a radio show? If so, what would you talk about? Let us below!

Success Advice

5 Essential Skills to Drive Success in Every Niche

skill building

There are many people who don’t have the courage to launch a business in a niche as they think they don’t have the right skills and experience to obtain success. While there are specific skills which determine the success in every niche, there are also some general skills which ensure success in any business you would try.

Below are 5 essential skills you need to drive success in every aspect of your life:

1. Ambition

When you launch a new business, you need to be prepared for difficult moments such as fighting the competition and winning your target audience. Moreover, if you follow some successful entrepreneurs, you should keep in mind that they also faced difficulties and continue to experience them. So, how does a successful entrepreneur get over all the difficulties?

The essential skill you need to possess is called ambition. Set small and clear milestones in your development plan and use your ambition to go over each difficulty and finalize what you had in your mind. It doesn’t matter how hard the path is going to be. Visualize your target and put in all the efforts to achieve it. Staying organized and scheduling each step to get things done are some of the techniques you can use to achieve success.

2. Listen to those around you

While listening to your instincts is necessary if you want to be a successful entrepreneur, this is not enough. As your business develops, you will have an entire team to manage and lead to success. Therefore, you cannot be a successful leader and have success in every niche unless you learn how to listen to the people around you.

You should listen to your employees and discover what they are expecting from you. This is the way to follow if you want to keep your team motivated and help them give the best of themselves.

On the other hand, you will need to listen to your customers to improve your products and services and provide excellent customer support. By listening carefully to the voice of your customers, you will be able to stand out of the competition and ensure their loyalty towards your brand.

“We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It’s our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better.” – Jeff Bezos

3. Courage

When you decided to become an entrepreneur and build your own business, it means you are a courageous person. Courage will help you harness the power of creativity. Don’t be afraid to take risks if you feel a specific action will bring more success to your business.

Apart from doing intensive research on your ideas and developing the exact steps you are going to follow, you will need the courage to implement them. Not all the ideas will turn out to be successful.

Regardless, you will have something to learn from each success or mistake and this will help you move your business even further. When you have the courage to follow a path which is not very familiar to you, this is going to be the moment when you will widen your horizons and exceed your limits to achieve success.

4. Creativity and imagination

If you already implemented your idea and you see that it works, you most probably think that you don’t need to change anything to achieve more success. You need to keep in mind that customers’ preferences change and your competition is waiting for your mistakes to “steal” your clients.

Therefore, you need to use your creativity and imagination to improve your products and services to meet your customers’ expectations. What is more, creativity can also mean that you are open to talk to new people and use their experience to improve something in your business.

“Get closer than ever to your customers. So close that you tell them what they need well before they realize it themselves.” – Steve Jobs

5. Continuous learning

If you want to drive success in every niche you will need to show a willingness to learn. You need to stay updated with what happens in your niche and what your customers expect from you.

Education is not only something for school. It is a lifelong process, and you should be open to seek knowledge and improve your skills with every opportunity. An efficient trick is to stay close to people who are already successful in your industry, ask their opinions on various subjects and learn from their experience.

The above five essential skills will help you build a successful business in every niche. A true leader is ambitious, knows to listen to the people around him, and is always open to learning from others.

No matter the size of your business, you will need to be creative and use your imagination to improve your products and services. These skills will help any leader develop new skills, stand out of the crowd, and strengthen his position on the market.

What skill do you think is most important to be successful in life? Let us know below!