Do you want to get motivated? Do you want to be even more motivated than you are now? One of the ways to boost your motivational rocket is to get a mentor.
A mentor will boost your motivational rocket and get your motivation flying higher and faster. How will a mentor help you do that?
Here are 6 steps on how to boost your motivational rocket by having a mentor:
1. Two heads are better than one
It’s just a cold hard fact that you can’t think of everything yourself. The great thing about a mentor is they will give you new ideas about how to approach problems and opportunities, based on their experience and expertise.
Many people, when working with a mentor, will get an idea from them and say “wow why didn’t I think of that?” The reason they didn’t think of that is actually quite simple; everyone thinks a little bit differently, and a mentor can bring you fresh ideas that give you a boost and are very motivating.
2. A mentor will push you
The great thing about a mentor is they will push you to try to reach higher levels of achievement. For example if you are in sales you may say “I have a sales quota of 500,000.” Your mentor, if they are the right kind of mentor will push you and say “well your quota is just the company minimum, why not shoot for twice that amount? Like a million?”
This allows you to see your accomplishments from a different perspective and not limit your thinking. Great mentors will expand your thinking, and get you to understand that you have unlimited potential and talent.
“My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even better.”-Steve Jobs
3. A mentor can provide resources
Mentors may know about or be aware of additional resources that you do not know about. There’s an old saying that says “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.” I would take that a step further and say “it’s not just who you know, but more importantly, what resources that person knows about that counts.”
All of us have had the experience of working on something for a long time, and then meeting an expert and them telling you about the tool or resource that would have saved you hours of time and energy. You then slap yourself in the forehead and say “if I had only known!” So the bottom line is, mentors can save you a tremendous amount of time and energy by guiding you.
4. A mentor can share expertise based on their experience
When you think about Yoda in Star Wars, Yoda is a tremendous mentor to the young Luke Skywalker. One of the reasons Yoda is a great mentor is because he has a lot of experience and wisdom. That is the beauty of having a mentor. They have a lot of expertise, because they have actually done what it is you want to know more about.
For example, someone who has been in a leadership role for a long time, can teach a new leader different techniques that the new may not know. Experience is a great teacher and your mentor has already learned many lessons from their experience which they can share with you.
5. A mentor can tell you what you can expect
There was a great book out many years ago called “What to expect when you’re expecting.” It was a book for women who were pregnant, and walked them through what they could expect in each month of pregnancy.
This groundbreaking book helped alleviate anxiety of women who were pregnant for the first time. This is what your mentor can do for you. Your mentor can tell you what to expect as you go through your life’s journey, so that when things happen you have less anxiety because you’re not surprised that they happened. Knowing what to expect can be a huge advantage and help you think more clearly when those things actually happen.
The other advantage is if you know what’s going to happen, and you expect it then you can prepare for it. It’s almost as if the mentor gives you a roadmap, and circles one spot on the map and says to you “right here, you will need to slow down because this is where the hairpin turn is on the road- that way you don’t crash.”
6. A mentor will encourage you and support you
I believe that every one of us are like Labrador retrievers. What does that mean? It means that every one of us at certain times in life needs a little pat on the back and a treat. Someone needs to tell us that we are a “good boy” or we are a “good girl”. Yes, everyone needs encouragement and support.
A great mentor will provide you encouragement, tell you what your gifts are, and compliment you for your efforts. They will provide that psychological and motivational support that you need. Sometimes in life we just need someone who will tell you that you can do it, and believes in you instead of someone who’s telling you that you can’t do it.
“Leaders should influence others. In such a way that it builds people up, encourages and educates them so they can duplicate this attitude in others.” – Bob Goshen
If you do not currently have a mentor, I strongly urge you to find one, because to me, a mentor can be a life-changing experience, and a huge massive boost to your motivational rocket.
I think many successful people would say that one of the reasons why they are successful in their life is that at some point they had a truly great mentor. So if you want that boost, don’t wait, get busy finding a mentor today.
How will you reach out to your mentor? Please leave your thoughts in the comment section below!
Image courtesy of Twenty20.com
20 Ways You Can Become a Powerful Communicator
Some people seem to naturally know how to effectively communicate in a group setting. They can express themselves clearly and listen attentively without dominating the conversation.
Being a powerful communicator is important for several reasons, including building and maintaining relationships, achieving goals, resolving conflicts, improving productivity, leading and influencing others, advancing in your career, expressing yourself more confidently and authentically, and improving your mental and emotional well-being. Effective communication is an essential life skill that can benefit you in all aspects of your life.
1. Listen actively: Practice active listening by giving your full attention to the speaker and responding to what they are saying.
2. Use “I” statements: Speak from your own perspective and avoid placing blame or making accusations.
3. Avoid assumptions: Don’t make assumptions about what the other person is thinking or feeling.
4. Be clear: Express your thoughts and feelings clearly and concisely by getting to the point and avoid using jargon or overly complex language.
5. Show empathy: Show that you understand and care about the other person’s feelings.
6. Offer valuable insights: When speaking in a group, provide a valuable takeaway or actionable item that people can walk away with.
7. Be an active listener: Listen attentively and respond accordingly, incorporating your points into the conversation.
8. Choose the right time: Pick the most opportune time to speak to ensure that you have the group’s attention and can deliver your message without interruption.
9. Be the unifying voice: Step in and unify the group’s thoughts to calm down the discussion and insert your point effectively.
10. Keep responses concise: Keep responses short and to the point to show respect for others’ time.
11. Avoid unnecessary comments: Avoid commenting on everything and only speak when you have something important to say.
12. Cut the fluff: Avoid being long-winded and get straight to the point.
13. Prepare ahead of time: Sort out your points and practice them before speaking in a group.
14. Smile and be positive: Smile and nod along as others speak, to build a positive relationship and be respected when it’s your turn to speak.
15. Take responsibility: Take responsibility for your own actions and feelings.
16. Ask questions: Ask questions to clarify any confusion or misunderstandings.
17. Avoid interrupting: Allow the other person to finish speaking without interruption.
18. Practice active listening: Repeat what the other person said to ensure you have understood correctly.
19. Use your body language too: Use nonverbal cues such as eye contact, facial expressions, and body language to convey your message and build rapport.
20. Be aware of the tone of your voice: it should be calm and assertive, not aggressive or passive.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can improve your communication skills and become a more powerful communicator, which can help you build better relationships, achieve your goals, and lead a more fulfilling life.
I you want to learn how to become more confident in life then you can join my weekly mentorship calls and 40+ online workshops at AweBliss.com so you can master your life with more success.
Dead Men Tell No Tales: How to Navigate a Mutiny as a Leader in 10 Steps
You’re the manager. You’re the supervisor. You’re the leader. But maybe your people don’t see it that way
How to Think Like a CEO for Your Future Success
A blueprint for CEOs to draw a disciplined strategy
Strategic thinking helps CEOs build successful businesses. It helps them establish everlasting enterprises. It is one of the key elements of decision-making. It is different from strategic leadership. It differentiates between leaders from managers. (more…)
How to Focus Your Mind on Your Goals in 2023 Constructively
In this world of distractions due to information overload, it has become a big challenge to focus our minds
In this world of distractions due to information overload, it has become a big challenge to focus our minds on positive aspects and constructive activities. Sometimes we waste our precious time mentally and physically due to distractions arising out of technology. We must understand our priorities and learn how to focus on them religiously. (more…)
Failing is More Important Than Succeeding
51 Legendary Elvis Presley Quotes
Why Entrepreneurial Innovation Matters More Than Ever
20 Ways You Can Become a Powerful Communicator
5 Indicators of Unresolved Attachment Trauma
77 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
(Images) 60 Colorful Picture Quotes To Empower Your Life
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
Success Advice4 weeks ago
How to Stand Out as a Leader in 2023 & Beyond
Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
How You Can Start Networking in Style in 2023
Life4 weeks ago
The 7 Hidden Signs You’re Self-Sabotaging Your Progress
Success Advice3 weeks ago
The Dark Side of Success: How to Identify and Avoid Toxic Leaders
Success Advice3 weeks ago
Why Every Successful Business Needs a Co-founder
Success Advice3 weeks ago
How to Fast Track Your Career for Guaranteed Success
Entrepreneurs2 weeks ago
How to Lose a Team in 10 Days: Are You a True Leader?
Life2 weeks ago
Grit: The Key to Your Ultimate Greatness