Barbara Corcoran is a well recognized author, investor, entrepreneur, and regular shark on the hit show Shark Tank. However, this success comes from the humblest of origins. As a child, Barbara was told she would never succeed after realizing that she had a learning disability. After continuous setbacks, Barbara hustled and rose to the top of New York’s ambitious real estate market where she remains an all-star.
Here are Barbara Corcoran’s best quotes:
1. “Don’t you dare underestimate the power of your own instinct.” – Barbara Corcoran
2. “I have a theory and I really believe it. I think you’re worse weakness can become your greatest single strength.” – Barbara Corcoran
3. “A complainer is like a Death Eater because there’s a suction of negative energy. You can catch a great attitude from great people.” – Barbara Corcoran
4. “In New York City the meek don’t inherit the earth. The big mouth does.” – Barbara Corcoran
5. “The best time to expand is when people are asleep at the wheel.” – Barbara Corcoran
6. “The difference between successful people and others is how long they spend time feeling sorry for themselves.” – Barbara Corcoran
7. “Always choose attitude over experience. Always.” – Barbara Corcoran
8. “Good leaders are not born, they are people who try hard to be exceptional.” – Barbara Corcoran
9. “The joy is in getting there. The beginning years of starting your business, the camaraderie when you’re in the pit together, are the best years of your life. So rather than being focused on when you get big and powerful, if you can just get the juice out of that…don’t miss it.” – Barbara Corcoran
10. “It’s normal to get stuck, but stupid to stay stuck.” – Barbara Corcoran
11. “My best successes came of the heels of failure.” – Barbara Corcoran
12. “If you want to t have a creative culture, you can’t get it by reading books. You get it by example.” – Barbara Corcoran
13. “When you’re building a business, you’re either all in or you’re not.” – Barbara Corcoran
14. “Use your imagination to fill in the blanks.” – Barbara Corcoran
15. “I gave up years ago on the concept that you could actually have balance in your life, I think it’s a phantom chase.” – Barbara Corcoran
16. “I wanted to be 150 percent entrepreneur and 150 percent mom, and I found that I was having a very hard time doing both. I was about 75 percent and 75 percent – still better than 100 percent, but not what I was accustomed to at work.” – Barbara Corcoran
17. “A good organization is like a box of crayons. You need different colors of the spectrum, but all the crayons should fit in the box.” – Barbara Corcoran
18. “Innovation and creativity are the juiciest parts of running a business.” – Barbara Corcoran
19. “Don’t get cocky just because you’ve had a good run. You can lose your business as fast as you’ve earned it.” – Barbara Corcoran
20. “Just go for it. You don’t want to end up with regret.” – Barbara Corcoran
21. “Forget about perfection; it doesn’t exist.” – Barbara Corcoran
22. “If you get labeled a winner, people come along for the ride. Might as well enjoy it and they should too.” – Barbara Corcoran
23. “Taking chances almost always makes for happy endings.” – Barbara Corcoran
24. “Leaders come in two flavors; expanders and containers. The best leadership teams have a mix of both.” – Barbara Corcoran
25. “If people like you, they’re going to want to do business with you. And if they don’t you’re going to have an almost insurmountable obstacle to overcome.” – Barbara Corcoran
26. “Finding opportunity is a matter of believing it’s there.” – Barbara Corcoran
27. “When you think you’re failing, you feel like people are watching you. I found that nobody is watching and all they care about is themselves.” – Barbara Corcoran
28. “If you’re working for the love of money, you won’t ever get any” – Barbara Corcoran
29. “The truth is you can teach any skill, but you cannot change a bad attitude.” – Barbara Corcoran
30. “Luck is a byproduct of hard work and good judgement.” – Barbara Corcoran
31. “I love myself and anything that has my name I’m tickled to death.” – Barbara Corcoran
32. “My biggest strength as a child, I realize now, was my imagination. While every other kid was reading and writing, I had seven whole hours a day to practice my imagination. When do you get that space in your life ever?” – Barbara Corcoran
33. “You can’t study to be an entrepreneur. Sometimes, you just have to jump.” – Barbara Corcoran
34. “That ability to pop back up is true of anyone who succeeds in their field.” – Barbara Corcoran
35. “Its your game; make up your own rules.” – Barbara Corcoran
36. “I had twenty-two jobs before I started my business at the age of twenty-three and I didn’t want one more boss telling me what to do. So I was motivated simply because I didn’t want a boss.” – Barbara Corcoran
37. “Procrastination is the enemy of success and the guilt of not doing something always steals your energy.” – Barbara Corcoran
38. “The hardest lessons to learn is that you’re more capable than you think you are.” – Barbara Corcoran
39. “My best advice is to play up what you’re good at instead of sitting around criticizing yourself for all the things you don’t do well.” – Barbara Corcoran
40. “Everyone recognizes and responds well to people who act like themselves. You don’t have to be fancy, you just have to be yourself.” – Barbara Corcoran
Which quote resonated with you the most? Comment below!
55 of the Best Johnny Depp Quotes to Inspire You Today
Johnny Depp, famous for his portrayal of strange and eccentric characters, is undoubtedly one of the most popular stars in Hollywood. But his real life has also been as strange as anything. Johnny Depp has faced many hardships starting from his teenage years. Before he became a big thing in Hollywood, he used to make ends meet by selling pens and having odd end jobs. So, yes, he has had his fair share of struggles. But today, he is rated as one of the most successful actors in Hollywood. (more…)
54 Joe Rogan Quotes That Will Motivate You to Greatness
Joe Rogan is a stand-up comedian, a figure in the MMA space, and former host of Fear Factor. But Rogan is more recognized his famous podcast The Joe Rogan Experience which is at the top of many iTunes charts. Each week, Joe Rogan sits down with a public figure to have a raw conversation to discuss their story, passions, and life in general. These people range from actors & scientists, to controversial figures in the news. Rogan is well known for dropping knowledge bombs in his show and is respected & looked up to by people in a variety of spaces as a motivational & inspirational figure. (more…)
27 Cristiano Ronaldo Quotes That Will Sow the Seeds of Success in Your Life
Cristiano Ronaldo is inarguably, one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen. He is currently at the top of his game but his rise to prominence was far from ease. The Portuguese star has had his fair share of struggles but his thirst for perfection kept him going and made him the greatest of all time. (more…)
6 Inspiring Quotes From Lucille Ball That Will Motivate You to Stand Out and Reach for the Stars
The original “Queen of Comedy” Lucille “Lucy” Ball, continues to be an icon of fiery sass and humor for every generation. Her timeless comedic talent still sets the standard for those desiring to follow in her celebrated entertainment footsteps.
Here are six inspiring quotes from her that will motivate you to stand out from the crowd and never give up on your dreams:
1. “One of the things I learned the hard way, was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
In business and our personal lives, we are bombarded daily by outward criticism and inward self-doubt. In order to realise the success we strive for and attain the goals we hope to achieve, it’s important to practice a strong positive outlook.
Although Ball was known for being an inherently shy girl, when she was 15 years old, she convinced her mom to allow her to attend New York Drama School. The administrator of the school, unable to see the talent hidden behind the shyness, wrote to her mother telling her not to “waste her money and the school’s time with this shy, awkward young lady.”
Refusing to be deterred by the shortsighted criticism, Ball dug in her heels, overcame her shyness, and went on to become the talented comedic actress and icon we know and love today. Just imagine how unfortunate it would have been if she had taken the negative criticism to heart and decided to give up her passion.
2. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work—and realising what is opportunity and what isn’t.”
Today, we are very much conditioned to expect instant gratification in all areas of life. It’s important to remember, however, that true personal and professional success is achieved through tenacity and hard work. Very seldom does “luck” play a substantial role in building a solid and promising future.
Few people may realise that beyond the laughter and crazy shenanigans that Ball is so well known for, she was a trailblazing businesswoman who mapped out her professional path and keenly took advantage of opportunities that came her way.
Behind the scenes, she was co-creator, owner, and partner of Desilu Productions with her husband, Desi Arnaz. I Love Lucy was the first real sitcom developed by a husband and wife team, and under Desilu Studios, the show pioneered the multi-camera shot and filmed in front of a live audience—something no one else was doing at the time.
Being a female owner of a film production company in the 1960s was unprecedented. But, Ball didn’t stop there. Instead, she would eventually buy out Desi and become the first female CEO of a major television and movie production company. Her hard work and perseverance created a legacy to last for generations.
3. “I’d rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven’t.”
Regrets are a fact of life both personally and professionally. However, most of us would probably admit that we learned some valuable things about ourselves from past mistakes and mishaps. Most would agree that our biggest regrets are related to the opportunities and experiences that we didn’t seize when we had the chance.
Ball’s career in the entertainment world was full of various ups and downs that included many B movies and lackluster performances. However, she continued to forge ahead learning from each and every experience. She was forty years old when she finally hit her stride and began her journey with I Love Lucy. Ball didn’t let the fact that Hollywood considered her to be “old” to stop her from fulfilling her dreams.
Instead of letting the long road of disappointments and closed doors discourage her, Ball refused to give up and found a way to create her own destiny and achieve the success that she had worked so hard for.
4. “I dyed my hair this crazy red to bid for attention. It has become a trademark, and I’ve got to keep it this way.”
We live in a culture where most of us just want to fit in. There is a pressure to conform to a set of expectations in both our professional and personal lives. However, it’s often when we take a risk to set ourselves apart, that doors of opportunities and experiences open for us.
For example, Ball’s natural hair colour was a light to medium brown with reddish tones. Early in her career, she bleached it blonde in hopes of being able to compete with the plethora of bombshell blondes of the era. She eventually realised, however, she needed to stand out, not blend in!
In a past interview, Ball is quoted stating, “Not being a beauty, I hated any part in a picture which depended on beauty. I resented work where looks were that important. There are so many glamour girls that I felt it was silly for me to try to compete with them.”
Dyeing her natural brown hair the colour red was one of the greatest risks Ball took early in her career, but it became one of the late comedian’s most beautiful physical features that helped her stand out and succeed in Hollywood. She shared, “I had to learn to concentrate on developing my personality—to have an individual approach. The way you feel about yourself has a lot to do with the impression you make.”
5. “The more things you do, the more you can do.”
We should never stop striving to learn new skills and grow in knowledge. Taking the steps to constantly evolve in our understanding of our professional and personal life—as well as the world around us—helps build a firm foundation for our present and future.
Ball was a true pioneer for the women of her time. She was not afraid to tackle new things or learn more about the production and business side of her career even though she was encroaching on a man’s world at the time. She knew that any knowledge she gained about the entertainment business would help ensure her future success.
For example, behind the scenes, Ball was an integral part of the business operations of Desilu Productions. She was one of the final voices in all decisions made regarding the show and the production company. And it didn’t stop there. In front of the camera, she portrayed a determined woman diligently trying to work outside of the home in various careers while still tackling the responsibilities of being a housewife and a mother. To put it simply, she just wasn’t scared to try something new.
It’s important to not let fear of failure, or the unknown, deter us from taking chances to break the mould and step out of our comfort zone. The possibilities for growth, success, and achievement are endless.
6. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
It’s quite profound how much we can learn from the fortitude and spunk exuded from Lucille Ball, the “Queen of Comedy.” As we’ve seen through these quotes, Ball refused to let others dictate who she would become or what she would achieve. Instead, she had a firm grasp on her own self-worth and was determined to forge ahead to fulfill her dreams.
She demonstrated that self-confidence and inner strength are vital to professional and personal success—a lesson that we would all be wise to remember.
Which one of the above Lucille Ball quotes was your favorite and why? Share your thoughts with us below!
Social Intelligence: Great Relationships Ensure Your Workplace Success
The Main Reason Why You’re Consistently Losing Sales
6 Simple but Effective Ways You Can Get the Very Best From Your Team
Do Not Let Fear Beat You: 6 Ways to Boost Your Courage Right Now
5 Ways to Supercharge Your Teams Motivation With Mindfulness
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
(Images) 56 Inspirational Picture Quotes That Will Motivate Your Mind, Body & Soul
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
7 Ways to Make Yourself Better at Managing Your Money
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
The Daily Routines of 35 Wildly Successful Women Throughout History
- Motivation3 weeks ago
How Positive Self-Talk Boosts Motivation and Productivity
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
Embrace a Growth Mindset to Achieve an Infinite Amount of Success
- Life3 weeks ago
3 Keys to Getting the Results You Want in Life
- Success Advice2 weeks ago
7 Key Elements to Changing Your Mind to a Business Mindset
- Life4 weeks ago
4 Quick Tips to Overhaul Your Mindset With Ease
- Life3 weeks ago
Awakening to Significance: The Reward of Living a Meaningful Life