Motivation

Why You Should Wake up At 4 am And Beat The Zombies

The time you wake up has a lot to do with who you become. The difference between waking up at 6 am and 4 am may seem insignificant to the average zombie, but the difference is massive. Think about the time you wake up and then by the end of this article ask yourself whether you want to wake up earlier than you currently are.

I am happy to confess that the idea of waking up at 4 am was not my own. How it came about was that I was bouncing on my trampoline at home trying to boost my energy levels before sitting down to write an inspiring article for all of you wonderful people.

Whenever I am doing something like exercise, I like to combine the activity with either education, or inspiration, or both. To achieve this, I put on a motivational YouTube video to watch at the same time. The video I watched featured the famous motivational speaker Eric Thomas.

I can’t remember exactly what he said, but the message was that if you are not waking up at three or four o’clock each morning, then your purpose and your vision for your life is off track. I thought about this idea quite a lot and realised that when I am most inspired, I naturally wake up early.

The primary goal of what I am going to tell you today is for you to not only wake up early but for you to wake up and work on your passion straight away. It’s for you to allow more time for your passion.

“The truth is that the uninspired sleep in and find it hard to wake up because they are just cruising through life without any direction or passion. These same zombies are the ones that spend their whole day complaining, and telling people why they feel tired even though they just slept for twelve hours”

The two reasons the average zombie finds it hard to wake up is because of poor diet, and zero motivation as to why they should wake up. It’s easy to just sleep your life away! It’s easy to say I will follow my dream tomorrow! The time is now. Wake up and get working on your dream!

Below are the five benefits of waking up at 4 am:

1. You get to start the day with what you are passionate about

Waking up at 4 am allows you to get right to your passion. This becomes possible because you most likely won’t have any commitments like work at 4 am in the morning. This gives you a good two or three hours each morning to smash at the activities that relate to your passion.

When you then start work or travelling to work at say 7 am, you have spent the first part of your morning being inspired, and this will carry through to the rest of your day. You will find yourself more positive during the day and strangely more inspired. How you start the day determines how you finish the day.

What happened to me, and why I began waking up at 4 am, is that I analysed my evenings when I got home from work. I realised that I usually had lower levels of energy and didn’t have what it took to go and do my passion (inspiring you lot).

So, because I was coming home and not being productive, I used Eric Thomas’s advice and worked out that this evening time was wasted. I realised it would be better to go to bed early, so I could wake up earlier and pursue my passion then. Since forming this habit, the game has changed for me, my friends. The game can change for you as well – I promise.

2. Use the time you wake up as a measurement of your passion

The time you wake up is not only crucial to your success; it’s also a measurement of your current levels of passion. Simply put, if you can’t wake up early in the morning, then you are not passionate enough.

Sleep is important, and you need eight hours of it, but living each day with passion is just as important. Your levels of passion will slide up and down like the stock market over time, but every once in a while check in with what time you are waking up.

“Speak to someone who is living their dream, and they will tell you that they wish they didn’t have to sleep” – Tim Denning

3. Get a head start on everyone else

While all the zombies are fast asleep, while all your competitors in business are still underneath the sheets, you have the opportunity to outwork them. The way you become successful in any pursuit in life it to outwork everyone else.

Given the amount of time I have spent writing and studying personal development, I would have to be a total freaking moron if I didn’t understand this niche and know how to share it with you all by now. I am no smarter than anyone else; I just choose to work twice as hard.

You have that same opportunity and by waking up at 4 am you can leave your competition in a burning cloud of smoke.

4. No one is awake, and it’s quiet

Many pursuits in life require deep thinking, focus, and often silence. The advantage of waking up at 4 am is that you can achieve all three of these things. The rest of the zombies in the world are sound asleep, and so you have the chance to maximise the silence.

I have found that there is something strangely calming and inspiring by being awake at 4 am. I have started to feel like I am doing something that will truly change the world because I want my dream so bad. I feel like one of those athletes in a Nike advertisement that is awake at the crack of dawn to train. The difference is I am not training in a field of sport; I am training in the art of personal development.

5. You will have more time to do what you love

On top of your normal work day, waking up at 4 am will give you extra time when your mind is the most relaxed and active to pursue your dream. You should at least find that you have an extra three hours per day that are now much more productive and focused. Three hours a day times seven days a week means you will have an additional twenty-one hours a week to play with.

Don’t tell me you don’t have time because you do. You now have the one strategy that every successful person in the world has used at one time or another; the art of waking up early. Enjoy your extra time each and thank me later.

I look forward to seeing what art you can create in the world with your passion and extra time.

What time do you wake up each day and why? I’d love to hear so let me know in the comment section below or on my website timdenning.net or my Facebook.

Tim is best known as a long-time contributor on Addicted2Success. Tim's content has been shared millions of times and he has written multiple viral posts all around personal development and entrepreneurship.You can connect with Tim through his website www.timdenning.net

1. Renee JewelryLady

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:41 pm

I recently started doing this because of the same message from ET. I would have to say, it makes my life feel more on track and I have more of a purpose everyday. I am excited to go to sleep at night because I get so much done in the morning. And it feels good!!!
    Try it for a week! It will change your life!

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:43 am

Renee I’m glad it works for you. It’s very powerful once you nail the habit.

2. Kathy

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:56 am

This article just hits the spot ! Amazing! Motivating! Bold !
    Love your passion!

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Thanks so much Kathy for sharing your thoughts!

3. Michael

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:37 pm

I have had some close friends and colleagues try to illustrate the benefits of waking up EARLY… I resisted for years and in many cases … lived like a zombie when it came to how I envisioned my future. 3 children later.. Almost 10 years married.. I have come to my senses.. so far its been a war of the selves. I can thank Robert Green, Mark Divine, Eric Davis and Alan Watts for shaking me out of my zombied slumber! At times I fall short and others come out ahead and get my ass up. I’m 30 days into this!!! The first and second thing I noticed was the lack of coffee cravings!!! My workout intensity was also higher than expected or what it was in past attempts. Third was my focus for the first 2/3rds of the day was way up! The last…… in all honesty…. I recognize all of my negative tendencies and habits … how they infect almost everything I do! SO top of the mornin to you all who have the guts to rise between 4 and 5am! May we never look back. May our early starts grant us time to get ahead, plan, execute, succeed and live by example to the benefit of all we do, those we love and who we interact with!

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Michael thanks for sharing your story. It’s great to see you getting the benefits and you’ve highlight even more advantages that I wasn’t aware of. Congrats on the new habit!

4. Gurpreet

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Hey I really admire the way u mentioned the benefits of waking up early …could you please tell me how i can save this stuff on addicted2success app to read it later as well .

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:36 am

Gurpreet thanks for your feedback. Just mark the article as a favorite in your browser rather than the app.

5. Henk

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:09 pm

0430 for me, sometimes 0500 in the weekend. I use the time for personal development. I started january the first of this year, after reading The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod 🙂

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:34 am

Henk it’s great to see you practicing this positive habit and it working so well for you. Appreciate you sharing your story.

6. Tusime

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:40 am

A life of success is an active life of constant movement. It is very difficult for you to succeed if you are inclined to be at rest(including oversleeping). Raising up early is an orientation to movement. Raise up early and work hard often enough and success will be second nature to you.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Tusime thanks for sharing your thoughts!

7. Silvia Turonova

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Tim, I can’t explain in words how amazing and truthful this article is. Anytime I read about successful people, they all have in common waking up early even when they don’t have to. I was kind of struggling with this and waking up around 6, but your article inspired me to go back on track and keep it up every day. Thanks for your inspiring words.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Silvia I am glad my article resonated with you. We all struggle to wake up early at one time or another. Keep trying to wake up just 5 mins earlier than the day before and you will eventually get there. best of luck Silvia!

8. Jure

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Thank you for sharing that with us Tim. If I remember correctly, there was a quote in Malcom Gladwell’s book: The Outliers, where it was said: If you wake of 360 days before the sunrise or earlier you ll get rich.:) Wish you all the best and keep up the good work!

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Jure thanks for reading this post. I had actually forgotten about that quote from the Outliers so thanks for reminding me. Waking up early is the secret to a lot of successful people’s daily strategy. Take up the habit yourself and see what it does for you. I promise you will be surprised!

9. Sadaf

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:50 am

Dear Tim , it was really nice to read your article ,I have always been an early riser since my teen days and now I am a mom of 4 with the younget 1.5 months. I used to work but after this 4th one cydnt continue but still dint stop myself growing in my knowledge by setting up daily and eventually monthly goals to achieve.I wanted to memorize this one chapter from my religious book so that I don’t have to go back and forth with the book and simply recall from my memory when need arise, and with my busy routine it was very hard for me to to find time. Every night it was 9 o clock and I was like totally drained of energy to keep myself up to study. Then I changed my sleeping habits and became an early riser again ? yes the 4 am one, now I’m halfway done. My classmates also ask me how am I able to do it with 4 kids and all the mommy responsibilities? Well waking up at 4 is the secret. Yes it’s calm and quite in the house and I can focus.the interesting thing is that even my religion also emphasize waking up a little more earlier and pondering over the aim and goal of our lives to become a better person to serve the society.
    Really love to see the passion you have and I pray for your success in all your goals.stay blessed.?

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Sadaf thanks for sharing your own personal story. I think by being up at 4am you are really setting yourself up for success. I have no idea how you manage four children and I have a lot of respect for what you do. Keep doing what you’re doing and all the best!

10. Kent

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:34 am

Im up at 5am to:

– Streach
    – Mug of warm water, lemon and honey
    – Read anything positive like addicted2success.com
    – Workout

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:42 am

Sounds like a great morning routine Kent!

11. pakya

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:26 pm

what time do u go to sleep though?

12. Jenn

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I get up between 4-5.

13. Vince

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:39 am

Hi, that sounds nice and everything, but..
    how do you manage your evening activities with your friends? If you go to the cinema, a restaurant, watch a late football match, it will be around 11-12 PM when I get to bed. How am I supposed to wake up at 4 AM if I only slept 4-5 hours so far?

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:42 am

Hi Vince, there are always going to be exceptions. Some nights you may stay up late. My schedule works out that I do 4am most days unless something comes up. Try it out and see how you go.

14. Charlene Rhinehart

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:21 am

Great article! I do my best work at 3 or 4am in the morning. When my mind is going and full of great ideas, I don’t want to go to sleep. I’m so in love with my goals that I get an extra burst of energy just thinking about it. I usually send blog articles around this time to individuals in order countries (time difference) so that I can get responses throughout the day. I use my night and early morning hours to position myself to receive news that will keep me motivated and full of energy throughout the day. I’m also committed to publishing my book this year so waking up early is essential to my progress. Thanks for the 4am wake up motivation! It’s always been a challenge to consistently do this for workouts but it always made me feel so accomplished when I arrived at work.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:16 am

Thanks for your thoughts Charlene! I’m keen to know who you are sending your articles too. I love your approach and waiting to get the news for extra motivation.

15. Diego

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Hi Tim, after reading your article I realized I’ve been doing it right most of my life. I set my alarm clock at 3:50, get ready to hit the gym by 4:00 or 4:05, workout about 50 minutes then get ready to go to work. I’m a welder and in my area with my work, the day starts at 6:00am. I almost forgot to mention that I used to be in the military back in my country (colombia) and being there you wake up or you wake up basically! That helped me a lot to get in to the routine ,and for those who struggle waking up early try leaving your alarm clock far away from your bed,so you have to stand up from bed to turn it off. Simple right? thanks for your articles Tim, every breath of your life is a blessing.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Diego thanks for checking out this article. It sounds like your well on the way to a very positive morning ritual. Thanks to your occupation the decision is made for you and I’m glad you see the benefits. The trick with having your alarm clock away from the bed is a great one which i have been using for many years too!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

16. Nikki

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:59 am

I like this idea Tim. I have been fighting depression for some time and I know I always feel better and accomplish more when I am up early. So for me setting a goal of being up by six would be a huge step right now as I can barely get out of bed by 8.
    More so the idea that those who sleep in are uninspired or without passion really struck a cord for me. The depression set in when I stopped going to school, going to conferences, being actively involved in community and just stayed home. I am a single mother of three kids who I love dearly, but I am a gypsy spirit who loves to travel and be with people. Teaching and learning.
    So trying to figure out how to balance that is a difficult thing for me for some reason. Cheers to you for this article. I have really loved it.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Nikki thanks for taking the time to be bold and share your very personal story. Remember that nothing lasts for ever and that depression is only a season just like winter is. Winter doesn’t last forever and you will be able to rebuild yourself. The first step we you have now achieved is to admit where you’re at and admit that you’re not we’re you want to be. Similar to my previous content, we need to find what drives you so that we can re-energise your life and get you out of the current way you’re living.

I have found that the simple act of taking a walk for 30 minutes a day with a podcast like “The School of Greatness or the “Addicted2Success” one can start to change things. Find a family member to babysit the kids and then go and do a few weeks travel. It will change your perspective on the world. You’ll find balance once you decide that change is a must I promise you.

Thanks so much for reading Nikki and I know things will get better for you.

17. Amel DELLI

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:39 am

I have a huge problem of waking up early and I know all my effeciency is there !! I tried many times but never achived my goal I think i’m a night owl and it’s not ok, any help about that please ?

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Amel your reasons for waking up early have to be strong. If I told you that at 4am you were going to do your favourite thing in the world or we were going to a Ferrari dealership to get you a new car, would you wake up early? My guess is you would. So it’s not that you can’t, it’s that your reasons are not strong enough yet. You need to work on your vision more to get to the bottom of the issue. It is definitely possible for you to achieve this goal!

18. rohit raghuwanshi

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:29 am

Hi Tim,

The article is spot on, though I have’nt listend to that the perticular Eric thomas video.
    In my own experience, the time after 4 or 5 o clock in the evening is very dull. At this time it’s hard to do something prodcutive, creative.So what I usually do is have my dinner by 7 o clock sharp in the evening and go to bed by 9. This why I can easily wake up around 5.

I will challenge myself to wake up at 4.

Thanks
    Rohit

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Thanks Rohit. It sounds like you’re on the right track with your morning ritual!

19. Shawn Lim

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:10 am

Hi Tim, I wake up at 5.55am every day.
    I know the importance of waking up early and since then I have tried to wake up as early to get a head start.
    After reading your article, I think I should challenge myself further. I will try to get up by 5.30am tomorrow for the next 2 weeks and then adjust to 5am.

Just wondering, what time do you sleep Tim if you wake up at 4am?

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:40 am

Shawn I think you are on the right track already. I go to bed at 9pm and then wake up at 4am. I treat myself on Saturday and wake up at 6pm. Once you go to bed early enough it’s easy to wake up early.

• Shawn

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Woke up at 530am today, so tired and sleepy, LOL.
        Need some time to get use to it. 🙂

20. Ali

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:20 am

Waking up is hard for me :((
    Any advice ?

• Obi

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Sleep early.

• Severin

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Have a dream.

“They call us dreamers, but we’re the ones who don’t sleep.”

• Henk

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Use a bedtime affirmation. Tell yourself when going to bed that you’ll be alert, refreshed and focussed when wakin g up. You can even practice it a few times at night. Imagine your alarm clock going of and get out of bed quick. Take a few steps and feel what you want to feel the next morning. Try to do it with passion!

Motivation

A Step by Step Process That Will Help You Make the Impossible, Possible

make it happen

We have all been there, looking at something and wishing we had it. The girl, the car, the money, the family, the lifestyle…but then we tell ourselves “Yeah, but that’s not me”. The people who get that are cut from a different cloth and we keep telling ourselves that until it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. We waste the wings we got believing the entire time that we can’t fly and that it’s impossible for us. We don’t even see our wings most of the time. (more…)

Motivation

(Part 2) Conquering the Impossible Space Between Where You Are Now and Where You Want to Be

risk taking

I wrote a blog post based on a mini-series I did for my Subscribers on the Achieve the Impossible App and have packaged it up in two parts to share here. If you missed Part One, quick click here and have a read over that first before reading any further!

One of the first obstacles we’re going to face on this journey towards risk is one that often strikes a damaging blow to our pride and can sometimes take us to our knees. As you embark on this journey, I can almost guarantee that we will take a wrong turn from time to time, we will read the map wrong (I’ll take the hit, I’m the navigator – sorry!) which will send us off course.

When you’ve taken a wrong turn driving, what is your first thought? DAMN IT. (Yep, me too!) What’s your second thought? Is it ‘ahh, I’ve stuffed up. I’m gonna just pull over and sit here until either the roads and maps magically change in my favor or someone comes to rescue me?’ Or do we think ‘Ok, what’s the quickest way to get back on my path?’

Mistakes Will Happen

When we stuff up, make a mistake, choose the wrong software, tell the wrong people or say the wrong thing, we don’t just pack up our dreams and hide. NO. We pick ourselves back up. We face the right direction (or what we believe is the right direction) and we MOVE FORWARD.

I don’t care if you start by walking one ginger step at a time, just start! Those small steps gain momentum and eventually lead to a jog, then before you know it, you’re back running!

Mistakes aren’t meant to end us, they are there to redirect us. Anytime you embark on an unknown journey you’re going to make mistakes.How you respond is the only thing I want you to focus on. Respond with reflection, movement and momentum in the direction of your dreams.

On our journey, we’re going to make mistakes and take wrong turns from time to time, but we choose to pick ourselves back up, and get back on that journey! We’re not staying stuck, we’re ‘running to risk’! As we get back on this journey, we’re going to need to make a decision to take action and invest in risk.

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” – Dale Carnegie

Sounds like I’m about to write a message on Warren Buffett’s worst nightmare. But that’s not the risk I’m talking about and it’s not the investing I’m talking about. Sleep tight, Warren. This risk I’m talking about is the thing that stands between you and your dream. The thing that you’ve told yourself is too strong, too powerful and too insurmountable to climb.

It’s often the case that the risk we perceive in our own minds is actually far greater than it truly is in reality. I remember as a child, visiting a museum and being fascinated by a scary looking dinosaur down the other side of the room. It looked ferocious and intimidating from across the room, and as I walked closer and closer, the dinosaur, through the magic of perspective, got bigger and bigger.

That’s where I feel we are at right now on our journey towards risk. We’ve identified the risk standing between us and our dreams, and we’re taking the tentative first steps towards it. As we step closer and closer to risk, it will look bigger. You’ll start to compare the size of it to you, and don’t be surprised if it grows each step you take. But, have faith.

The closer I got to the dinosaur, the bigger it became. I had a choice to let fear or faith determine my next steps. I continued walking step by step towards the prehistoric creature. Then something strange happened.

Yes, the closer I got to the creature, the bigger it became. But then something else came into the picture. The closer I got, the more detail I was noticing. What I thought were bone-crunching teeth were actually a matte white plastic, what I thought was impenetrable skin was old flaking greeny-brown paint. Those eyes that glared at you from across the room, were now nothing but big marble sized spheres of glass.

When we step towards fear, yes it gets bigger – but as we invest in faith and continue to live our lives in the direction of our dreams, we expose the master of risk…FEAR.

False

Evidence

Appearing

Real

Invest in those extra steps this week as you get closer to risk to point out the finer details, you’re going to realise it’s not as scary as it once seemed. Those steps aren’t always going to come easy though, because the journey towards risk is an interesting one.

There’ll be times when you’re pumped full of Adrenalin, bashing down every obstacle that comes your way. There will be times where you’re cruising on a nice downhill slope, enjoying the scenery and wondering why it took you this long to convince yourself to get here!

Then there’ll be times when things aren’t easy. Just like my climb this evening up a little mountain by my home on the Sunshine Coast of Australia. I started out full of energy, pumped for the adventure ahead, then five minutes into the usually very achievable rocky steps, my legs started really feeling it.

“You’ll never know your strength until you’ve faced your struggles.”

The Adrenalin gave way to frustration, to fear and to my quickly draining self-belief in my fitness. I continued one painful step at a time. I wasn’t going the pace I normally would, but knew this mountain could be conquered one slow step at a time.

As I slowly neared the end of the steps, my legs were burning, my heart pounding and my mindset weakening. Two quiet words burst through my pain…

Stay strong

I’m pretty sure I’ve never said this going up the mountain before, but it seemed fitting. As I climbed one step at a time, ‘stay strong’ became my repeated mantra. After the season of pain and intentional mindset building, I reached the summit of the mountain and cruised my way back down.

There is such an incredibly untapped power within our self-belief and mindset, which shapes our self-talk. On your journey towards your risk, I can almost guarantee you’ll be faced with steps that seem too difficult, too challenging, too much to conquer.

Remember…’stay strong’. You’re on this path for a reason – you’re capable of completing it. You’ve come this far, see it through. Your ‘impossible’ dream is counting on you to conquer fear and run to risk!

Motivation

(Part 1) Conquering the Impossible Space Between Where You Are Now and Where You Want to Be

how to achieve the impossible

Deep down, you know exactly what you are capable of. There’s even moments where you get a glimpse of all the potential you have. You can get there. You just have to be willing to sacrifice the habits, things and situations that are standing in the way of your success. I honestly believe “Running to Risk” has the power to unlock mindsets and belief systems that have been holding you back from your true potential (I’m naturally conservative so it’s big coming from me!)

Before we do something crazy and ‘run to risk’, let’s take stock of where we are today and our foundational beliefs in our potential and true capacity. In the day-to-day act of living, waking up, coffee, breakfast, school drop-offs, work, more coffee, home, homework, dinner, finish off emails, glass or two of (insert drink here), collapse on couch, Netflix etc. We can become disconnected with our true potential and capacity.

You are being pulled from all sides – your family, your boss, your colleagues, your partner, your friends, even your dog. You can be forgiven for prioritising the present over the future.

To set up this series on healthy and personal-capacity fuelled risk, I want you to invest a moment or two searching deep within yourself.

• What’s in your heart for 2019?
  • What is one thing you would look back on come 31st Dec 2019 and be proud of your personal accomplishment?
  • What’s something that scares you?
  • What’s that one thing that has been on the back of your mind that you’d love to put your name to in your lifetime?

The answer to the above is the thing we’re going to focus on in part one of this post. We’re focusing on it because with every achievement that challenges our personal capacity and unlocks our potential, there will be an element of risk.

Risk Is Scary!

Risk stares you in the face from afar and says ‘don’t you dare approach. Don’t even try’. This is when you’re faced with a decision to make, and the best (and also worst!) thing about it is you’re the only one who can make it!

As you make this decision to ‘run to risk’, the regret of not running has to be stronger than your personal comfort. Your comfort must give way to your calling. Your present must give way to your potential.

Think about the one thing on your heart – the thing that helps you step into your calling and potential. The thing with risk looming all over it. Let’s build the strength, self-belief, courage, boldness and tenacity to ‘Run to Risk.’ But what about timing? I’m not sure if I should be pursuing my dream now.

“You can’t always wait for the perfect time. Sometimes, you have to dare to do it because life is too short to wonder what might have been.”

We’re not running to risk for a laugh and a good time, we’re running to risk because that dream in our hearts for 2019 is worth pursuing. When faced with the potential of risk, we often come up with thoughts and reasons to justify our lack of momentum or progress.

I don’t know how!

I don’t have the money!

I don’t have the connections!

But one of the most common excuses I hear (I know, because I hear it from myself) is a little sentence that has killed more dreams and crushed more souls than most. ’It’s not the right time’.

It’s one of the most powerful excuses because it bulldozes every other excuse by default. You’ll always meet more people, money comes and goes, but once time is gone, it’s gone forever. This excuse becomes our default without us even realising it.

I remember when I was wanting to launch a few online courses, a podcast and a book. (These are all my risks for 2019). But they were also my goals for 2017 and 2018. Sadly, I put my insecurities ahead of my identity and my convenience over my calling. Looking back now, each excuse I held to for not launching these projects was based on timing.

First, the IG algorithms were affecting posts, then someone else launched a podcast in my niche and gosh, I couldn’t do that! Next, as I was writing my IG Online Course, another one came on the market. Nope, can’t do that now. I’ll wait until the marketing heat dies down on that one. The exact same situation with my book launch…it just wasn’t quite the right time.

Here’s what I learnt and something I want to share with you, there’s never a right time to do the thing that’s on your heart. The right time will never simply show up, you’ve got the time, now it’s up to you to make it right!

Looking back, I’ve felt the pain of regret and don’t want to let the fear of risk lead to regret again. Now is the time to look risk dead square in the eyes and say ‘ready or not, here I come’. Yeah, the I could start now I guess…I know what I want to do and I kinda believe now is as good of time as any…I’m honestly not sure where to start.

“Never be afraid to try something new, because life gets boring when you stay within the limits of what you already know.”

Now It’s Time!

We’ve just told risk we’re coming for it. We’ve made the decision to put our calling over our comfort and choose to be lead by faith not fear. Now it’s the time to start. We’re starting right now because we have been given the time, and we’ve got complete power and control to make it the ‘right time’. We’ve made the decision to go after that thing that’s on our heart, the thing we’ve always wanted to do, the thing that has been too risky.

Not anymore. Today, we start.

There is huge power in the start. When we start, we have the luxury of being on home ground. We are making more decisions for ourselves, rather than having to make decisions based on responses which we will have to inevitably do down the road.

Today, we start.

We’re filled fresh with enthusiasm, passion and driven by our desire to accomplish something meaningful this year. Yesterday, we may have had a loss to our name, we may have stumbled and fallen…but you’ve picked yourself up.

Today, we start.

We look to the future with our heads held high, the hopes of a brighter future with that dream in our heart knowing that we are valiantly pursuing it despite the risk. We know our dream, we know we are capable of achieving it, we know we’ve got the time and today, we start.

We start the journey as we ‘Run to Risk’.This blog is based off the mini-series ‘Run to Risk’ first featured on the Achieve the Impossible App, accompanied by downloadable wallpapers and daily inspiring messages to inspire, challenge and equip you to achieve your impossible dream. Download the Achieve the Impossible App and start your free trial today!

Motivation

It’s What You Do On A ‘Bad Day’ That Matters.

Last Friday was a bad day for me. I woke up late, missed the gym and didn’t meditate.

None of this was intentional.

I then turned my computer on to do what I do every day: blog. I was not prepared for the whirlwind that followed.

As I opened up my social media channels, there were a lot more than usual, direct messages. I started reading each one and they were from colleagues and friends who wanted to warn me that I had a large amount of hate-fuelled comments on social media. I’m usually pretty good at dealing with hate comments. Not on that day, though — I was having a ‘bad day.’

I turned off the computer and didn’t respond to anybody. In the same week, I’d been told I was now a LinkedIn Top Voice for 2018.

I should have been celebrating and I didn’t because I didn’t feel worthy. If anything, I wanted to give up there and then. Luckily I didn’t follow through with any of these ideas. I knew it was just noise in my awful day.

I went away to sit on the couch and think about what I’d just read. Without really thinking about what I was going to do for the rest of the day, I began thinking about my team at work. There were several leadership challenges that I had to solve.

One was from a customer that was being abusive to female staff. Another was a rejection I had to deliver to someone that wanted to work with us. The hardest part about delivering the rejection was that I’d already said yes.
Despite the day being bad, I made a fundamental decision — to keep doing what I do and not stop. I said to myself “How can I inspire people while simultaneously solving both these challenges?”

I’m a big believer that it’s not what you say that matters; it’s what you do. Talk is cheap. I came up with a bold plan to address both challenges.

I was going to do something that made me see the good in the people involved.

Even if the people in both situations had let me down, I was going to assume they were still good.

I concocted a plan to help both people and try and show them a more positive way to move forward. If I break down the plan, it was about being an inspiration in both situations.

I didn’t feel like being inspiring.
It was not the day to be inspiring.

But it was the only way I could motivate myself to finish off this bad day and wake up the next morning fresh. It’s funny how a good nights sleep takes away all the pain and negativity from the day before.

So, by the end of the day, I enabled both plans. I set out to release inspiration in both scenarios and that was my only focus. I didn’t look at anymore hate fuelled comments or go near social media.

On that bad day last Friday, my actions helped me keep moving forward and not give up.

It’s not about necessarily seeing the good in your bad day.

I’ve read this sort of advice heaps, but it requires a lot of willpower.

Using your actions to make the day better rather than trying to think your way out of your bad day seems to be a lot easier to implement”

It’s not about the bad day.

Bad days will happen.

It’s what you do on a bad day that determines if you’ll feel the full effect of all the negativity that can potentially knock you out like a Tsunami that comes your way when all you wanted to do was lay on the beach and soak up some sun.

I’ve learned to find situations during a day that’s not working out well for me, to do something good, and often that’s not something that benefits me. If I was to look at it another way it would be “How do I not focus on my own bad day?”

Trying to make someone else’s day good distracts you from your own bad day.

<<<>>>

If you want to increase your productivity and learn some more valuable life hacks, then join my private mailing list on timdenning.net