Motivation

Why You Should Wake up At 4 am And Beat The Zombies

The time you wake up has a lot to do with who you become. The difference between waking up at 6 am and 4 am may seem insignificant to the average zombie, but the difference is massive. Think about the time you wake up and then by the end of this article ask yourself whether you want to wake up earlier than you currently are.

I am happy to confess that the idea of waking up at 4 am was not my own. How it came about was that I was bouncing on my trampoline at home trying to boost my energy levels before sitting down to write an inspiring article for all of you wonderful people.

Whenever I am doing something like exercise, I like to combine the activity with either education, or inspiration, or both. To achieve this, I put on a motivational YouTube video to watch at the same time. The video I watched featured the famous motivational speaker Eric Thomas.

I can’t remember exactly what he said, but the message was that if you are not waking up at three or four o’clock each morning, then your purpose and your vision for your life is off track. I thought about this idea quite a lot and realised that when I am most inspired, I naturally wake up early.

The primary goal of what I am going to tell you today is for you to not only wake up early but for you to wake up and work on your passion straight away. It’s for you to allow more time for your passion.

“The truth is that the uninspired sleep in and find it hard to wake up because they are just cruising through life without any direction or passion. These same zombies are the ones that spend their whole day complaining, and telling people why they feel tired even though they just slept for twelve hours”

The two reasons the average zombie finds it hard to wake up is because of poor diet, and zero motivation as to why they should wake up. It’s easy to just sleep your life away! It’s easy to say I will follow my dream tomorrow! The time is now. Wake up and get working on your dream!

Below are the five benefits of waking up at 4 am:

1. You get to start the day with what you are passionate about

Waking up at 4 am allows you to get right to your passion. This becomes possible because you most likely won’t have any commitments like work at 4 am in the morning. This gives you a good two or three hours each morning to smash at the activities that relate to your passion.

When you then start work or travelling to work at say 7 am, you have spent the first part of your morning being inspired, and this will carry through to the rest of your day. You will find yourself more positive during the day and strangely more inspired. How you start the day determines how you finish the day.

What happened to me, and why I began waking up at 4 am, is that I analysed my evenings when I got home from work. I realised that I usually had lower levels of energy and didn’t have what it took to go and do my passion (inspiring you lot).

So, because I was coming home and not being productive, I used Eric Thomas’s advice and worked out that this evening time was wasted. I realised it would be better to go to bed early, so I could wake up earlier and pursue my passion then. Since forming this habit, the game has changed for me, my friends. The game can change for you as well – I promise.

2. Use the time you wake up as a measurement of your passion

The time you wake up is not only crucial to your success; it’s also a measurement of your current levels of passion. Simply put, if you can’t wake up early in the morning, then you are not passionate enough.

Sleep is important, and you need eight hours of it, but living each day with passion is just as important. Your levels of passion will slide up and down like the stock market over time, but every once in a while check in with what time you are waking up.

“Speak to someone who is living their dream, and they will tell you that they wish they didn’t have to sleep” – Tim Denning

3. Get a head start on everyone else

While all the zombies are fast asleep, while all your competitors in business are still underneath the sheets, you have the opportunity to outwork them. The way you become successful in any pursuit in life it to outwork everyone else.

Given the amount of time I have spent writing and studying personal development, I would have to be a total freaking moron if I didn’t understand this niche and know how to share it with you all by now. I am no smarter than anyone else; I just choose to work twice as hard.

You have that same opportunity and by waking up at 4 am you can leave your competition in a burning cloud of smoke.

4. No one is awake, and it’s quiet

Many pursuits in life require deep thinking, focus, and often silence. The advantage of waking up at 4 am is that you can achieve all three of these things. The rest of the zombies in the world are sound asleep, and so you have the chance to maximise the silence.

I have found that there is something strangely calming and inspiring by being awake at 4 am. I have started to feel like I am doing something that will truly change the world because I want my dream so bad. I feel like one of those athletes in a Nike advertisement that is awake at the crack of dawn to train. The difference is I am not training in a field of sport; I am training in the art of personal development.

5. You will have more time to do what you love

On top of your normal work day, waking up at 4 am will give you extra time when your mind is the most relaxed and active to pursue your dream. You should at least find that you have an extra three hours per day that are now much more productive and focused. Three hours a day times seven days a week means you will have an additional twenty-one hours a week to play with.

Don’t tell me you don’t have time because you do. You now have the one strategy that every successful person in the world has used at one time or another; the art of waking up early. Enjoy your extra time each and thank me later.

I look forward to seeing what art you can create in the world with your passion and extra time.

What time do you wake up each day and why? I’d love to hear so let me know in the comment section below or on my website timdenning.net or my Facebook.

Tim is best known as a long-time contributor on Addicted2Success. Tim's content has been shared millions of times and he has written multiple viral posts all around personal development and entrepreneurship.You can connect with Tim through his website www.timdenning.net

1. Renee JewelryLady

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:41 pm

I recently started doing this because of the same message from ET. I would have to say, it makes my life feel more on track and I have more of a purpose everyday. I am excited to go to sleep at night because I get so much done in the morning. And it feels good!!!
    Try it for a week! It will change your life!

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:43 am

Renee I’m glad it works for you. It’s very powerful once you nail the habit.

2. Kathy

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:56 am

This article just hits the spot ! Amazing! Motivating! Bold !
    Love your passion!

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Thanks so much Kathy for sharing your thoughts!

3. Michael

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:37 pm

I have had some close friends and colleagues try to illustrate the benefits of waking up EARLY… I resisted for years and in many cases … lived like a zombie when it came to how I envisioned my future. 3 children later.. Almost 10 years married.. I have come to my senses.. so far its been a war of the selves. I can thank Robert Green, Mark Divine, Eric Davis and Alan Watts for shaking me out of my zombied slumber! At times I fall short and others come out ahead and get my ass up. I’m 30 days into this!!! The first and second thing I noticed was the lack of coffee cravings!!! My workout intensity was also higher than expected or what it was in past attempts. Third was my focus for the first 2/3rds of the day was way up! The last…… in all honesty…. I recognize all of my negative tendencies and habits … how they infect almost everything I do! SO top of the mornin to you all who have the guts to rise between 4 and 5am! May we never look back. May our early starts grant us time to get ahead, plan, execute, succeed and live by example to the benefit of all we do, those we love and who we interact with!

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Michael thanks for sharing your story. It’s great to see you getting the benefits and you’ve highlight even more advantages that I wasn’t aware of. Congrats on the new habit!

4. Gurpreet

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Hey I really admire the way u mentioned the benefits of waking up early …could you please tell me how i can save this stuff on addicted2success app to read it later as well .

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:36 am

Gurpreet thanks for your feedback. Just mark the article as a favorite in your browser rather than the app.

5. Henk

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:09 pm

0430 for me, sometimes 0500 in the weekend. I use the time for personal development. I started january the first of this year, after reading The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod 🙂

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:34 am

Henk it’s great to see you practicing this positive habit and it working so well for you. Appreciate you sharing your story.

6. Tusime

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:40 am

A life of success is an active life of constant movement. It is very difficult for you to succeed if you are inclined to be at rest(including oversleeping). Raising up early is an orientation to movement. Raise up early and work hard often enough and success will be second nature to you.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Tusime thanks for sharing your thoughts!

7. Silvia Turonova

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Tim, I can’t explain in words how amazing and truthful this article is. Anytime I read about successful people, they all have in common waking up early even when they don’t have to. I was kind of struggling with this and waking up around 6, but your article inspired me to go back on track and keep it up every day. Thanks for your inspiring words.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Silvia I am glad my article resonated with you. We all struggle to wake up early at one time or another. Keep trying to wake up just 5 mins earlier than the day before and you will eventually get there. best of luck Silvia!

8. Jure

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Thank you for sharing that with us Tim. If I remember correctly, there was a quote in Malcom Gladwell’s book: The Outliers, where it was said: If you wake of 360 days before the sunrise or earlier you ll get rich.:) Wish you all the best and keep up the good work!

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Jure thanks for reading this post. I had actually forgotten about that quote from the Outliers so thanks for reminding me. Waking up early is the secret to a lot of successful people’s daily strategy. Take up the habit yourself and see what it does for you. I promise you will be surprised!

9. Sadaf

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:50 am

Dear Tim , it was really nice to read your article ,I have always been an early riser since my teen days and now I am a mom of 4 with the younget 1.5 months. I used to work but after this 4th one cydnt continue but still dint stop myself growing in my knowledge by setting up daily and eventually monthly goals to achieve.I wanted to memorize this one chapter from my religious book so that I don’t have to go back and forth with the book and simply recall from my memory when need arise, and with my busy routine it was very hard for me to to find time. Every night it was 9 o clock and I was like totally drained of energy to keep myself up to study. Then I changed my sleeping habits and became an early riser again ? yes the 4 am one, now I’m halfway done. My classmates also ask me how am I able to do it with 4 kids and all the mommy responsibilities? Well waking up at 4 is the secret. Yes it’s calm and quite in the house and I can focus.the interesting thing is that even my religion also emphasize waking up a little more earlier and pondering over the aim and goal of our lives to become a better person to serve the society.
    Really love to see the passion you have and I pray for your success in all your goals.stay blessed.?

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Sadaf thanks for sharing your own personal story. I think by being up at 4am you are really setting yourself up for success. I have no idea how you manage four children and I have a lot of respect for what you do. Keep doing what you’re doing and all the best!

10. Kent

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:34 am

Im up at 5am to:

– Streach
    – Mug of warm water, lemon and honey
    – Read anything positive like addicted2success.com
    – Workout

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:42 am

Sounds like a great morning routine Kent!

11. pakya

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:26 pm

what time do u go to sleep though?

12. Jenn

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I get up between 4-5.

13. Vince

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:39 am

Hi, that sounds nice and everything, but..
    how do you manage your evening activities with your friends? If you go to the cinema, a restaurant, watch a late football match, it will be around 11-12 PM when I get to bed. How am I supposed to wake up at 4 AM if I only slept 4-5 hours so far?

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:42 am

Hi Vince, there are always going to be exceptions. Some nights you may stay up late. My schedule works out that I do 4am most days unless something comes up. Try it out and see how you go.

14. Charlene Rhinehart

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:21 am

Great article! I do my best work at 3 or 4am in the morning. When my mind is going and full of great ideas, I don’t want to go to sleep. I’m so in love with my goals that I get an extra burst of energy just thinking about it. I usually send blog articles around this time to individuals in order countries (time difference) so that I can get responses throughout the day. I use my night and early morning hours to position myself to receive news that will keep me motivated and full of energy throughout the day. I’m also committed to publishing my book this year so waking up early is essential to my progress. Thanks for the 4am wake up motivation! It’s always been a challenge to consistently do this for workouts but it always made me feel so accomplished when I arrived at work.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:16 am

Thanks for your thoughts Charlene! I’m keen to know who you are sending your articles too. I love your approach and waiting to get the news for extra motivation.

15. Diego

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Hi Tim, after reading your article I realized I’ve been doing it right most of my life. I set my alarm clock at 3:50, get ready to hit the gym by 4:00 or 4:05, workout about 50 minutes then get ready to go to work. I’m a welder and in my area with my work, the day starts at 6:00am. I almost forgot to mention that I used to be in the military back in my country (colombia) and being there you wake up or you wake up basically! That helped me a lot to get in to the routine ,and for those who struggle waking up early try leaving your alarm clock far away from your bed,so you have to stand up from bed to turn it off. Simple right? thanks for your articles Tim, every breath of your life is a blessing.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Diego thanks for checking out this article. It sounds like your well on the way to a very positive morning ritual. Thanks to your occupation the decision is made for you and I’m glad you see the benefits. The trick with having your alarm clock away from the bed is a great one which i have been using for many years too!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

16. Nikki

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:59 am

I like this idea Tim. I have been fighting depression for some time and I know I always feel better and accomplish more when I am up early. So for me setting a goal of being up by six would be a huge step right now as I can barely get out of bed by 8.
    More so the idea that those who sleep in are uninspired or without passion really struck a cord for me. The depression set in when I stopped going to school, going to conferences, being actively involved in community and just stayed home. I am a single mother of three kids who I love dearly, but I am a gypsy spirit who loves to travel and be with people. Teaching and learning.
    So trying to figure out how to balance that is a difficult thing for me for some reason. Cheers to you for this article. I have really loved it.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Nikki thanks for taking the time to be bold and share your very personal story. Remember that nothing lasts for ever and that depression is only a season just like winter is. Winter doesn’t last forever and you will be able to rebuild yourself. The first step we you have now achieved is to admit where you’re at and admit that you’re not we’re you want to be. Similar to my previous content, we need to find what drives you so that we can re-energise your life and get you out of the current way you’re living.

I have found that the simple act of taking a walk for 30 minutes a day with a podcast like “The School of Greatness or the “Addicted2Success” one can start to change things. Find a family member to babysit the kids and then go and do a few weeks travel. It will change your perspective on the world. You’ll find balance once you decide that change is a must I promise you.

Thanks so much for reading Nikki and I know things will get better for you.

17. Amel DELLI

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:39 am

I have a huge problem of waking up early and I know all my effeciency is there !! I tried many times but never achived my goal I think i’m a night owl and it’s not ok, any help about that please ?

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Amel your reasons for waking up early have to be strong. If I told you that at 4am you were going to do your favourite thing in the world or we were going to a Ferrari dealership to get you a new car, would you wake up early? My guess is you would. So it’s not that you can’t, it’s that your reasons are not strong enough yet. You need to work on your vision more to get to the bottom of the issue. It is definitely possible for you to achieve this goal!

18. rohit raghuwanshi

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:29 am

Hi Tim,

The article is spot on, though I have’nt listend to that the perticular Eric thomas video.
    In my own experience, the time after 4 or 5 o clock in the evening is very dull. At this time it’s hard to do something prodcutive, creative.So what I usually do is have my dinner by 7 o clock sharp in the evening and go to bed by 9. This why I can easily wake up around 5.

I will challenge myself to wake up at 4.

Thanks
    Rohit

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Thanks Rohit. It sounds like you’re on the right track with your morning ritual!

19. Shawn Lim

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:10 am

Hi Tim, I wake up at 5.55am every day.
    I know the importance of waking up early and since then I have tried to wake up as early to get a head start.
    After reading your article, I think I should challenge myself further. I will try to get up by 5.30am tomorrow for the next 2 weeks and then adjust to 5am.

Just wondering, what time do you sleep Tim if you wake up at 4am?

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:40 am

Shawn I think you are on the right track already. I go to bed at 9pm and then wake up at 4am. I treat myself on Saturday and wake up at 6pm. Once you go to bed early enough it’s easy to wake up early.

• Shawn

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Woke up at 530am today, so tired and sleepy, LOL.
        Need some time to get use to it. 🙂

20. Ali

Jun 29, 2016 at 1:20 am

Waking up is hard for me :((
    Any advice ?

• Obi

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Sleep early.

• Severin

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Have a dream.

“They call us dreamers, but we’re the ones who don’t sleep.”

• Henk

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Use a bedtime affirmation. Tell yourself when going to bed that you’ll be alert, refreshed and focussed when wakin g up. You can even practice it a few times at night. Imagine your alarm clock going of and get out of bed quick. Take a few steps and feel what you want to feel the next morning. Try to do it with passion!

Motivation

The Guide to Staying Motivated While Working Alone

how to stay motivated when working alone

Working alone at home might sound like a nightmare to some, but as a fully signed up introvert, working alone at home is an absolute dream. No energy-draining small talk, no noisy distractions, just peace and quiet to complete deep and focused work. Well not quite. Working alone at home has more challenges than you might expect. Boredom, lack of focus and lack of motivation to name a few.

When you start working for yourself, you quickly realise that one of the biggest problems you face isn’t the job itself. Maintaining your motivation poses a potentially huge difficulty. Much of that difficulty stems from working alone, rather than in a traditional office setting. There is also the challenge of staying focused on the task at hand. With no boss or supervisor looking over your shoulder, social media can distract or cat videos interrupt you.

But the greatest problem by far is a simple lack of motivation. There doesn’t seem to be a pressing need to finish this project right now, making it far too easy to put it off until later. Left unchecked, a lack of motivation can cripple the work you are trying to accomplish. Over the past few years I’ve developed a few go-to tactics to improve my lone working motivation.

Here are some of the tools I’ve used to stay motivated and on-task.

These first few tips focus on using different tweaks in your personal work schedule to provide some variety and maintain your focus.

1. Include short breaks

My eye doctor once told me that for every 20 minutes of staring at a computer screen, you should look away and focus on something across the room for 20 seconds. This gives your eyes a chance to reset. Do something similar with the rest of your body; don’t just look across the room, walk, jog, or run across the room. Give your body a break, and try to reset your thoughts. If you don’t have the discipline to take regular breaks, use an app to remind you.

2. Block out an afternoon for social activities and networking

Set aside one afternoon a week for your social life. Friday afternoon works best for me. If you feel guilty about not working, think of it as a chance to network. Either way, be sure to spend this section of time with other people. Socialise and network.

3. View your personal schedule as your work schedule

A 9-to-5 job requires getting up every morning, preparing for the day, leaving the house, and commuting to your workplace. In other words, it requires going to work. You want to recreate the same rhythm at home. You may not actually need to leave your house in order to work, but try to stick with the schedule. Filling the old job timeslot with your new work helps to keep you motivated – you can’t clock out early!

These next few tips are little things you can do to trick yourself into staying focused!

1. Music

This tip may sound cliché, but try listening to an upbeat song loudly whenever you feel unmotivated. It’s a simple trick, but a surprisingly effective one!

2. Have somewhere else to work for a change of scenery

When procrastination sets in, sometimes a quick change of scenery is all you need. If you work at home, going to your favourite café can be a huge help. Other freelancers I know have even gone so far as to hire office space outside the home, and rotate between the two to help stay on-task.

3. Love what you do

This is arguably the most critical point on the whole list. If you don’t love what you do, it will be hard to keep yourself motivated – particularly long-term. Sure, you may be able to push on through sheer force of will for a while, but sooner or later you’ll lose motivation entirely. Do something you genuinely enjoy, and you’ll find it much easier to stick with it for the long haul.

These last few tips are Industry-related!

1. Make sure you have fun projects

Not all of your work projects will be fun, but fight to make at least a couple of them fun. These might even be personal side projects, not particularly related to your main job. Or they might be in the same general field, but not your specific focus.

2. Attend industry events a couple of times a year

Nearly every imaginable industry has an organising body of some kind. Find the local branch, and use it to keep tabs on industry-related events. Attend some seminars, network, and maybe even glean some new tips and tricks from industry insiders.

3. Schedule at least one call a week to learn something within your industry

View this as an opportunity for personal development. At least once a week, try to learn something new about your industry. For me, this might mean calling a new tool provider to demonstrate their gadgets. Whatever your industry, try to expand your horizons a little bit every week. You’ll learn new methods and make new connections at the same time.

These tips worked for me, hopefully, some of them will help you out as well. Above all, strive to enjoy what you do, stick to a “work schedule,” and look for opportunities for constant self-improvement. With those ideas in mind, you’ll find staying motivated much easier to do alone or in a group!

Motivation

7 Ways Yoga Effectively Motivates You to Achieve Success

how yoga motivates you

Yoga is an appointment with your own self. It is time to meet your true self and receive a return ticket to your true nature that is bliss and happiness. You will naturally feel happy while doing yoga. Many people don’t realize they are in a distressed state until it’s too late. The same thing happened with me when I failed to understand my life’s circumstances. I was struggling with a lack of motivation, depression, insomnia, and maintaining my personal relationships, which eventually started affecting my physical health.

Last year, I struggled with depression and general anxiety disorder. I was constantly chasing after money, a lucrative career, happiness, and success. I was afraid that if I told my colleagues about my mental health issues, they would criticize me and eventually it would hamper my progression and I would not be taken seriously.

Last winter, my responsibilities in life increased in a short period of time, which created a lot of anxiety. It began to disturb my mood at home as I was unable to relax and felt low. I hated my own egotistical self because I was an extremely competitive individual as well. I always felt that I did not have the career of my dreams and I was not where I aimed to be. It felt like I was failing because I was not able to attain any of the goals I set in my own life.

I decided to share my emotions and feelings with someone who could potentially make things easier for me. I ended up explaining my struggles and mental illness to my manager. His reaction was amazing because he thanked me for being honest, and he introduced me to yoga. I am happy that I made this decision because it felt better after sweating it out in the Yoga workshop.

Yoga helped me in focusing on what I truly had, instead of on what I didn’t have. I learned how to embrace my competitive side and to use it in a way that pushed me to become a happier person. Yoga taught me that instead of wasting most of my life chasing after success and competing with others, I had to let life run its natural course. Happiness and success will then come to us naturally.

Below I have listed some reasons as to why yoga works effectively to motivate yourself to achieve success:

1. It Solves Your Problem

When it comes to challenges and tackling problems, yoga works amazingly. When you get on a yoga mat and begin to practice, you are made to deal with everything that comes to you and asked to face it gracefully. In turn, this increases your focus and patience levels, so that you will be able to face the mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical challenges at every turn.

2. It Lowers Your Anxiety and Stress

Yoga doesn’t mean that you will heal instantly, but constant practice can help you destress. The simple breathing and moving exercises can help a lot in releasing your tension and anxiety.

Yoga helps in stretching your muscles by relaxing them as most of the stress and tension is stored there. The breathing exercises energize your body by increasing the blood flow, which eventually refreshes your body and mind. The daily practice of yoga makes you aware of the surroundings by making you control your emotions and stress.

“Learn to relax. Your body is precious, as it houses your mind and spirit. Inner peace begins with a relaxed body.” – Norman Vincent Peale

3. Increase Your Focus

Yoga helps improve your focus through the breathing exercises you do during the yoga postures. It relaxes the body and mind so you can think clearly, and in time build up the ability to concentrate.

Yoga is focused on concentration, breathing,  and the alignments. Additionally, yoga’s claimed to bring mental and physical relaxation by energizing the parasympathetic nervous system, and this is the reason why yogis sleep well at night. No wonder they have such a healthy and a stress-free lifestyle.

4. It Helps in Redefining Success

Real success comes when you use yourself to your full capability. It does not matter what you become, the only thing that matters is that you are living your life to your full potential.

If you want to be successful, then you must see everything just the way it is, without any distortion. Yoga helps you with just that. Through practicing yoga daily, you will start to see the results and live more joyfully.

5. It Boosts Your Health

Mental health affects your work and your physical health. Your physical health can drastically  affect your work as it will make you work less and take more time off, which will lead to lined-up pending assignments.

Yoga helps your body with almost every physical problem. Yoga increases your blood flow, oxygen, and improves your circulatory system. All the postures of the Bikram yoga help to improve the flow of fresh and oxygenated blood to every part of the body and mind.

“Move your joints every day. You have to find your own tricks. Bury your mind deep in your heart, and watch the body move by itself.” – Sri Dharma Mittra

6. Gives Mindfulness and Makes You Present

Mindfulness teaches us to become more present at any given moment. It makes us more aware and conscious of our inner thoughts, feelings, emotions, and hence makes us strong enough to control our actions towards situations.

Practicing breathing in yoga teaches you to experience and live each moment to the fullest. Over time, yoga will help you live in a deep sense of fulfillment and inner peace, which will ultimately help you in making the right decision for yourself and your team.

7. Stay Aware and Positive

A yogi tends to have a balanced outlook on life. Yoga sessions of meditations, breathing exercises, and mindfulness will aim at making you conscious and aware of yourself. Additionally,  it will open up new possibilities of understanding your true self.

Yoga also aims at making you a positive person, and the effects of yoga are not limited to relaxation after a workout but are exceptionally long-lasting. Yoga makes you attain the attitude of gratitude that helps you identify the brighter side of life.

To achieve success through yoga, you must adapt it into your day to day life because having good health is a basic necessity to live a happy and healthy life and no one but you can keep yourself healthy.

Have you tried yoga? If so, share with us how it’s positively impacted your life below!

Motivation

5 Ways to Find Everyday Motivation in the Least Likely Places

how to find motivation

When you’re down in the dumps, the natural thing you want to do is find motivation to recharge and restart. But unlike computers or phones, people don’t work that way…or do they?

Think of it this way, people are natural sources of motivation, and we may not even be aware of it. Recall the last time you went to the store, chatted with the happy counter girl, and the helpful guy in the queue, you came out smiling and feeling good, didn’t you? That’s because those people charged you with their positive energy.

The problem is, just like them, there are people with negative energies who drain you of your motivation. After you interact with them, you feel listless, depressed or just simply low. In such a scenario, I would advise you to go to that grocery store again, but that’s just not practical.

Here are 5 unlikely places to get your dose of motivation:

1. Wind from Within

Where else would you find motivation quickly but yourself? You are the ultimate source of inspiration. Don’t believe me? Try these tactics.

Think about the reason why you’re feeling down, and treat it as a challenge. Consider it as a game, and you need to beat your competition with any strategy that you can think of and come out on top. Feel that boost of energy?

Next, dive in and consider why you feel like such a failure. Is it the career choices? The face-off incident with your ex at the office gathering? The boss who is always criticizing you? Take these issues one by one and devise plans to tackle them.

Change your career if you must, or give this one your 200 percent. Avoid your ex or talk it out with them. Face your boss by telling them how disappointed you are with their behavior, or keep on taking the criticism. The point is, not to overthink but to resolve what’s bugging you and pulling you down.

Perhaps this feeling of failure which is dragging you down stems from your fear of it. To make it right and regain your motivation, you’ll have to face your fear head on. There is no way around it so might as well deal with it like a “challenge”. There’s that word again, you know what to do now.

2. Tune in to Ted Talks

What if you still can’t find motivation from within, and still feel down? Ted Talks are the best sources of inspiration.Real people. Real experience. Real talk. You can’t get any closer to real motivation than a Ted Talks. From career to personal, emotional, educational etc. each Ted Talk takes you on a journey of the speaker, forces you to face their reality, and end up with a solution, which might be yours too.

One of my favorites is by Adam Grant, “Are you a giver or a taker?”. It has really given me thoughts about what my life is all about and what I would like to change. One of the lines which struck me and turned my life around was: “If you’re a matcher, you try to keep an even balance of give and take: quid pro quo — I’ll do something for you if you do something for me. And that seems like a safe way to live your life. But is it the most effective and productive way to live your life?

That’s just one Ted Talk. There are tons out there. The point is not what you watch but what you garner from their experiences, wisdom, and lessons delivered.

3. Soul Searching Speeches

While Ted Talks are about your average Joe, whom you can relate to and may even bump into in your everyday routine, speeches from successful people are another thing entirely.

We are talking about golden nuggets from dynamite, successful tycoons who have changed the world. They’re revolutionizing the way we live and breathe.

And you know what else they are? They’re powerhouses who have the immense capability of giving you the much needed motivation spark to come out of your lowest low. When famous people like Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Jack Ma, Oprah Winfrey and Michelle Obama get invited to deliver commemorating speeches, they share with you their world.

They tell us about using smart decisions to solve complex problems. They share with us their dilemmas, and how to come out of it without harming yourself. But most importantly, they tell us about their fears, challenges, and failures which they’ve successfully overcome.

One of the most famous speeches, and my personal favorite, is Steve Jobs’ commencement speech at Stanford University. Jobs, who has revolutionized home computing, mobile devices, and luxury branding of technology, tells us if we live each day as if it were the last, then there is nothing to fear. After all, fear is the reason why we don’t do a lot of things that would boost our motivation.

4. Tap Into Teaching

People say that teaching is a noble profession but nobody tells you about the motivational aspect of it. Even if you’re down, nothing brightens your mood up instantly like a student looking up to you. You feel thousands of feet tall.

You don’t have to be a full time teacher to feel motivated. Help someone at the workplace and teach them a skill. Teach your kids about what you know. And if you’re single, teach the neighbor’s kids.

When you teach someone, you are actually learning and discovering yourself. It gives you a new perspective and forces you to look at problems from the student’s point of view. And, you might discover the reason for feeling demotivated, or stressors that are pulling you down. When you are able to identify the problem, you’ll be able to find the solution.

5. Interest in Interviews

What do Humans of New York, Larry King Live and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon have in common? You guessed it…interviews. Funny or serious, interviews are meant to bring out the inner person of the interviewee, but I bet you didn’t know they also bring the humane side of the interviewer.

Interviews force you to wear the interviewee’s shoes, think like them, and understand their dilemmas. What better lessons to learn and get motivation from real life people who’ve been there and done that?

Of course it doesn’t mean you start grabbing any Tom, Dick or Harry to interview. Find an angle, seek permission and have a purpose for your interviews. Maybe you want to find out where people go to find inspiration, or motivate others. Or, ask people what they do when they hit bottom, or at the peak of their career.

You’ll be surprised at the rationale, humbling experiences and feelings these individuals will share. Let their answers be your motivation.

Motivation

4 Simple Yet Effective Ways to Boost Your Team’s Motivation as a Startup

team motivation

Many startup leaders are able to grow their organizations quickly, thanks to their off-the-charts motivation and productivity. Unfortunately, when the organization is no longer a one-man show, it becomes very difficult to equip their team members with the same degree of motivation. This can negatively affect the organization’s morale, productivity, and possibly revenue.

Below are the four simple and effective ways to boost your team’s motivation as a startup:

1. Evaluate your own leadership as a leader

Many leaders had their own share of experience with bad leadership. Tim Denning, Addicted2Success contributor, also goes as far as saying, “working with a bad boss is a soul crushing dream killer.” No leaders want to be known as a bad leader. Unfortunately, some startup leaders unintentionally fall into the trap of micromanaging and never listening to the team members because they might not always have an experience as a leader.

If your team is big enough, you can also consider doing an anonymous survey that evaluates your leadership. But if that is not an option, there are tools that allow you to assess your own leadership performance. Go through the assessment, and focus on implementing the changes. Even if the team members’ motivation does not skyrocket overnight, there will be an improvement overtime.

“The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not a bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.” – Jim Rohn

2. Focus more on intrinsic motivation

A study of 200,000 U.S public sector employees by Yoon Jik Cho and James Perry showed that intrinsic motivation, rather than extrinsic motives such as position and salary, makes triple the impact on employee motivation and engagement. This study shows that motivating team members through position and salary is important, yet the biggest transformation will show when you get team members to focus on internal rewards.

For startups and teams with a limited budget, this represents a powerful way to be able to attract and retain the best team members. Though there will be some team members that might be disengaged because they are more motivated by position and salary, there will also be team members that may choose to stay in the organization because of the team’s culture– even if they get other job offers that might be more extrinsically appealing.

Challenge your team members with bigger responsibilities and goals. Encourage them to continue developing their skills or learn new ones. Show them you appreciate their loyalty. The internal rewards and the personal loyalty that your team members develop by working with your team will ensure that they can continue to stay engaged to the work and stay motivated to get the work done.

3. Be specific on HOW their work matters, and how much you care

Most leaders are aware of the importance of great team members and focus on recognizing the team’s efforts. However, when specificity as to how their work makes a difference in the team is added on, it can become extremely powerful. Team members want to know that the business cares about their work and jobs, but also about making a positive impact on the society.

Everytime you remind your team members about how their work makes a difference in the company’s growth, and how the organization makes a difference in the community, your team member will not only feel pride in their work, but they will also be fired up with an extra dose of motivation.

“If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” – Henry Ford

4.  Encourage team members to become self leaders

An article by HR Digest shows that 25% of millennial team members are looking for a chance to prove their leadership skills. Although it is highly encouraged for startup leaders to challenge their team members and give them opportunities to showcase their leadership abilities, it can be risky if they do not have a previous leadership experience. That is when self leadership comes in.

Self leadership is a concept developed by Bryant and Kazan and is about having a clear individual identity as a leader. This can mean having a clear understanding of the vision, who they are as a leader and what their capabilities are as a leader. This helps your team members embody an identity of a good leader while developing their leadership skills.

There are many ways of empowering team members to develop self-leadership, such as encouraging them to take on new challenges or allowing them to partake in professional development activities. It can also mean giving them room to innovate and make their own decisions with their authority.

As the team gets bigger and the organization is no longer a one-man show, it can be challenging for leaders to keep their team members motivated. However, with these simple ways, it’ll be easier to equip your team members with the extra dose of motivation to continue doing their best and boost the team’s performance as a whole.

How do you keep your team motivated and excited? Share your ideas and thoughts below!