Most of us are aware of Pareto’s Principle, the 80/20 rule. This principle states that 20% of the input gives us 80% of the output. The top 20% of your salespeople account for 80% of your business. The top 20% skills you have, account for 80% of your success. The top 20% of our customers will give us 80% of business. When we use this principle it allows us to narrow in and focus on the most important clients who are in our target market.
You’ll find that most people tell you to focus on your top 20%. Here’s the big question: What do you do with the other 80% of people who you do not work with?
Most of us let this 80% of potential business fall to the wayside because they are not our target market and we have no system set up to still do some form of business with them. However, this is not the case for Tim Johnson.
Just last year, he generated $11 million dollars from REFERRALS! He is the master of building a referral based business. By sending clients that he cannot work with to his friends and referral partners, he is able to receive commission for the introduction and new business.
Imagine having the potential to make money from EVERY business conversation! Tim speaks to about 3,000 people per year, and if he cannot help them personally, he knows someone in his Global Renegade network who can.
The thing is, we can all do this if we are intentional about it. As Tim puts it, “We need to date our referral partners. We put so much time and effort into people that do nothing for our business, yet we do not build strong relationships and invest time into our referral partners.”
Tim is a speaker, author, real estate developer, and business coach who is well known around the world. He starts each business conversation by saying, “Is it okay with you that if at anytime during this conversation I realize that I am not the right fit for you, I introduce you to someone in my network who is?”
Each time he is met with a resounding YES! Who would say no to this offer? This strong referral network has built Tim a net worth of over $4 million dollars. Tim uses a framework called SOLD and if you use this framework you can build a strong referral network as well.
Below, is the exact SOLD framework Tim uses:
According to Tim, everything is mathematical. He approaches each conversation looking to learn and serve. When you approach conversations in this way, you focus on relationship building instead of feeling like you have an agenda to do business.
Ask great questions here and give the person you’re speaking with an opportunity to share their situation and what they are going through. Tim always asks, “What do you need and how can I serve you?” This is a powerful question that most people neglect and it’s the reason they are not experiencing as much sales success as Tim.
“Here is a powerful yet simple rule. Always give people more than they expect to get.” – Nelson Boswell
Objections = Opportunities
As the old wise quote states, “We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason.” This means we need to speak less and listen more.
Too often, people pitch and become salesy instead of being human and having a conversation where they are listening to the person they are sitting with. When you are listening, you give yourself the opportunity to learn their problems, obstacles, and needs in order to identify new opportunities.
Leverage referral partners
As you are gathering information you will identify if you are able to provide the solution that your prospect needs. If you cannot, it is time to leverage your referral partners and make the introduction.
By starting out the conversation saying, “Is it okay with you that if at anytime during our conversation I realize that I am not the right fit that I introduce you to someone who is?” you have already pre-framed yourself appropriately to leverage your referral network if you cannot provide a solution that is needed.
Your prospect will be very appreciative for your honesty and will trust your judgement. You get a lot of brownie points when you have the integrity to say that you are not the right fit, but let me introduce you to someone who is.
“People influence people. Nothing influences people more than a recommendation from a trusted friend. A trusted referral influences people more than the best broadcast message. A trusted referral is the Holy Grail of advertising.” – Mark Zuckerberg
Rinse and repeat this process. Having conversations in this way will enable you to work with the top 20% of people you speak with, and still provide value to the other 80%. In this way, every conversation opens up the opportunity for new business.
SOLD is business growth through asking great questions, active listening, and leveraging referral partners. Start to capitalize on the 80% of business that you are missing out on by referring these people to other service providers in your network.
If you think about providing value in service of others first, then you can leverage the SOLD framework for increased revenue in your business by simply being a connector and receiving commissions of 10%-25%.
Do you have referral partners in your business? Would love to hear your experience in the comment section below!
Career Advice From 15 of the World’s Most Famous Founders
There are many routes to success in the business world, but learning from those who have gone before you and reached the top is always an opportunity you don’t want to miss.
Steve Jobs is a man who has inspired millions with his words, and his advice sums up the creative spirit that helped Apple to keep on reinventing itself and pushing the boundaries: “I think if you do something pretty good, then you should go do something else wonderful. Not dwell on it for too long, just figure out what’s next.” (more…)
Women You Need to Pursue Your Dreams Despite the Fear
You hear it all the time…. you just have to follow your dreams. They make it sound so easy, but if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Right? But have you considered what can happen to you if you stifle those feelings that you meant for something more? If you try to ignore those feelings by telling yourself it’s not the right time, you don’t have time for that, or any other excuse there is? (more…)
5 Ways Great Leaders Give Rise to Great Ideas
It is often hindering when you hear a variant of ‘that is not how it’s done here’ in your workplace. This usually happens when employees voice their concerns or new ideas for a project, and it is confusing when a project leader dismisses or overlooks such interesting input. Even indirect dismissal in the form of ‘OK, is there anything else?’ may inadvertently build a workplace atmosphere that is not conducive to genuinely effective brainstorming. Why may this happen? And how do great leaders give rise to great ideas? Read on to find out. (more…)
Hire Slow, Fail Fast, and Learn Faster
“It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.” These words were once spoken by J. K. Rowling, famous British writer, and I believe they should be applied to a person’s success. (more…)
Lessons I Have Learned About Scaling a Business as a Startup Founder
The Surprising Secret About Growth and Change
An Open Letter to Aspiring Entrepreneurs
The Counterintuitive Motivation Hack That You Are Missing
40 Inspirational Quotes on Victory That Will Motivate You to Win
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Life4 weeks ago
3 Simple Commitments You Can Make That Will Change Your Habits for the Better
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
5 Reasons Why Starting Small is the Key to Success
- Life4 weeks ago
5 Ways to Let Go of the Past for Good
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
The Framework to Making Better Decisions in Your Life
- Motivation3 weeks ago
What Top Performers Really Do For Motivation
- Life2 weeks ago
5 Ways to Use Difficult Life Circumstances to Become Unstoppable
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
11 of the Best Podcasts to Help Women Entrepreneurs Grow Their Businesses
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
How the Use of Certain Words Can Determine Your Business Success