Benjamin Franklin, the man on the $100 Bill, the guy who invented the heated stove, the lighting rod and the odometer among a thousand other achievements in his life. What made Benjamin Franklin such an over achiever is that he lived a purpose driven life. At the age of 20 years old Benjamin Franklin laid out 13 key values for himself which he would go on to master and become the well known man in our history to this day.
Read on for a translated and updated version for the business world today of Benjamin Franklins 13 Key Values.
Benjamin Franklin’s 13 Key Values For This Day & Age
1. Stop wasting time
Then: “Lose no time; be always employ’d in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.” Now: Life hackers and multitaskers will win the startup war every time.
2. Get a calendar app and use it
Then: “Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.” Now: Your modern day business has a lot of moving parts. Devise a system for keeping it all in order.
3. Don’t screw people over
4. Don’t bang your co-workers
Then: “Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another’s peace or reputation.“Now: To ensure a healthy atmosphere, office romance should be handled with care.
5. Stop blowing money on stupid things like Aeron chairs
6. Don’t sweat the small stuff
7. Bathe — and then dress for success
8. Don’t get drunk on the job. Or fat, for that matter
9. Be straightforward with people
10. Don’t just sit around thinking about what to do — actually do it.
11. Don’t obsess about one part of your business at the expense of others
Then: “Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.” Now: Don’t let one aspect of your business overwhelm all others. And when your competitors play dirty, don’t take it personally.
12. Stop wasting time gossiping with co-workers and start doing stuff
13. Be humble