Ego as defined by dictionary.com is: self-esteem, self-image or feelings. Yet the majority of society understands and or relates the term EGO to negativity. If having a high self-image means one has an ego it is not necessarily a bad thing. It takes a certain amount of ego to do many things that are required of us to succeed in the entrepreneurial world.
If we truly examine the meaning of ego we will realize that having a good self-image and self-esteem helps us to do the meaningful things in life. In saying this, people need to stop throwing around the word ego in a negative manner. Developing an ego takes a lot of work. It doesn’t happen overnight, and it takes years to cultivate the ego trait.
When you fly the friendly skies, the flight attendant instructs everyone, that in the event of an emergency to put their oxygen mask on before they help others. That doesn’t mean every man for himself. That means suck in some air so you can effectively assist others. That goes with ego too; you have to suck in some ego. So when you look at it from that perspective putting your ego on is no different than putting your oxygen mask on.
Yes, there are some who abuse their egos, but you don’t have to be one of those people. If you want an ego of your own, learn how to use it to lift yourself up, and catapult yourself into the life of success that you deserve and desire. People are inspired and take note of people who courageously put themselves out there, and to do so you are going to need a healthy ego.
Here are 5 things you can do to boost your ego:
1. Feed it
In order for anything to grow it has to be placed in an environment that is conducive to growth. Your ego is no different. Read some great books, take a class on self-confidence, and stay away from those who are dream busters.
Books feed your mind with information and shape the way you think about things, a good self-confidence class, programs you to have a great self-image, and staying away from dream busters keeps the toxic distractions out of your life and enables you to grow.
When you feed your mind with empowering beliefs it in turn feeds your ego and releases a new self-believing attitude and results.
2. Let go of bad habits
Letting go of bad habits helps condition us to create better habits in our daily lives. Limited self-belief creates critical thoughts and behaviors; those thoughts and behaviors send out signals to the outside world that we lack self-esteem. We have to break the bad habit of thinking poorly of ourselves.
The vibrations exchanged between ourselves and the reactions of others in return make us feel stuck, weak and unmotivated to move forward. When choosing to drown out the negative chatter in our head we are choosing to look at things positively and doing so, will empower us to feel good about ourselves and motivate us to demonstrate those actions.
“When it comes to breaking old habits and starting new ones, remember to be patient with yourself. If you’ve spent twenty, thirty, or forty years or more repeating the behaviors you’re now trying to change, you’ve got to expect it’s going to take time and effort before you see lasting results.” –Darren Hardy
3. Get a pet
According to the research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology pet ownership has been shown to increase self-confidence, combat loneliness, boost physical activity, and instill a sense of responsibility that is truly rewarding.
Perhaps it is the unconditional love that our pets give us that helps reinforce our ego. What gets noticed, gets repeated in life. When our pets do something that make us feel good we respond by repeating the same action that elicited their response. This applies in the human world as well. When someone praises us for our actions we repeat the action. Their praise solidifies that our actions are acceptable.
4. Pump up your appearance
In Arianna Huffington’s book Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom and Wonder, she talks about the importance of the different areas of your life that you should feed.
- Exercising: promotes good health, and reduces your chances of illnesses.
- Eating healthy: nourishes the body, contributes to sustained weight maintenance, elevates your moods, and increases your energy levels.
- Getting more sleep: improves your cognitive thinking as well as gives you the energy to do the everyday things in life that need to get done.
All of these things play a very vital role in your appearance and brand image. When you feel good about how you look it causes your self-esteem to elevate.
5. Walk the walk
A healthy ego builds incredible momentum. Not only in your personal image, but your brand image as well. Believe it or not, the two often go hand in hand. Have you ever seen Darren Hardy from Success Magazine take the stage? He exudes every part of the brand Success, from the way he dresses, the way he is groomed, and even the way he struts across the stage. When people think of Darren Hardy they think Success. He walks the Success walk.
If you want to succeed in the entrepreneurial world you have to remember you need an ego. So be comfortable in your own skin, learn how to walk to your own beat of your drum, start thinking of what success looks like to you, and when you do, it will give you the confidence to tell others to let go of your ego, too!
Thank you for reading my article! How do you build your ego for success?
20 Ways You Can Become a Powerful Communicator
Some people seem to naturally know how to effectively communicate in a group setting. They can express themselves clearly and listen attentively without dominating the conversation.
Being a powerful communicator is important for several reasons, including building and maintaining relationships, achieving goals, resolving conflicts, improving productivity, leading and influencing others, advancing in your career, expressing yourself more confidently and authentically, and improving your mental and emotional well-being. Effective communication is an essential life skill that can benefit you in all aspects of your life.
1. Listen actively: Practice active listening by giving your full attention to the speaker and responding to what they are saying.
2. Use “I” statements: Speak from your own perspective and avoid placing blame or making accusations.
3. Avoid assumptions: Don’t make assumptions about what the other person is thinking or feeling.
4. Be clear: Express your thoughts and feelings clearly and concisely by getting to the point and avoid using jargon or overly complex language.
5. Show empathy: Show that you understand and care about the other person’s feelings.
6. Offer valuable insights: When speaking in a group, provide a valuable takeaway or actionable item that people can walk away with.
7. Be an active listener: Listen attentively and respond accordingly, incorporating your points into the conversation.
8. Choose the right time: Pick the most opportune time to speak to ensure that you have the group’s attention and can deliver your message without interruption.
9. Be the unifying voice: Step in and unify the group’s thoughts to calm down the discussion and insert your point effectively.
10. Keep responses concise: Keep responses short and to the point to show respect for others’ time.
11. Avoid unnecessary comments: Avoid commenting on everything and only speak when you have something important to say.
12. Cut the fluff: Avoid being long-winded and get straight to the point.
13. Prepare ahead of time: Sort out your points and practice them before speaking in a group.
14. Smile and be positive: Smile and nod along as others speak, to build a positive relationship and be respected when it’s your turn to speak.
15. Take responsibility: Take responsibility for your own actions and feelings.
16. Ask questions: Ask questions to clarify any confusion or misunderstandings.
17. Avoid interrupting: Allow the other person to finish speaking without interruption.
18. Practice active listening: Repeat what the other person said to ensure you have understood correctly.
19. Use your body language too: Use nonverbal cues such as eye contact, facial expressions, and body language to convey your message and build rapport.
20. Be aware of the tone of your voice: it should be calm and assertive, not aggressive or passive.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can improve your communication skills and become a more powerful communicator, which can help you build better relationships, achieve your goals, and lead a more fulfilling life.
I you want to learn how to become more confident in life then you can join my weekly mentorship calls and 40+ online workshops at AweBliss.com so you can master your life with more success.
Dead Men Tell No Tales: How to Navigate a Mutiny as a Leader in 10 Steps
You’re the manager. You’re the supervisor. You’re the leader. But maybe your people don’t see it that way
How to Think Like a CEO for Your Future Success
A blueprint for CEOs to draw a disciplined strategy
Strategic thinking helps CEOs build successful businesses. It helps them establish everlasting enterprises. It is one of the key elements of decision-making. It is different from strategic leadership. It differentiates between leaders from managers. (more…)
How to Focus Your Mind on Your Goals in 2023 Constructively
In this world of distractions due to information overload, it has become a big challenge to focus our minds
In this world of distractions due to information overload, it has become a big challenge to focus our minds on positive aspects and constructive activities. Sometimes we waste our precious time mentally and physically due to distractions arising out of technology. We must understand our priorities and learn how to focus on them religiously. (more…)
Failing is More Important Than Succeeding
51 Legendary Elvis Presley Quotes
Why Entrepreneurial Innovation Matters More Than Ever
20 Ways You Can Become a Powerful Communicator
5 Indicators of Unresolved Attachment Trauma
77 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
(Images) 60 Colorful Picture Quotes To Empower Your Life
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
Success Advice4 weeks ago
How to Stand Out as a Leader in 2023 & Beyond
Life4 weeks ago
The 7 Hidden Signs You’re Self-Sabotaging Your Progress
Success Advice3 weeks ago
The Dark Side of Success: How to Identify and Avoid Toxic Leaders
Success Advice3 weeks ago
Why Every Successful Business Needs a Co-founder
Success Advice3 weeks ago
How to Fast Track Your Career for Guaranteed Success
Entrepreneurs2 weeks ago
How to Lose a Team in 10 Days: Are You a True Leader?
Life2 weeks ago
Grit: The Key to Your Ultimate Greatness
Success Advice2 weeks ago
How to Develop a Following of Passionate Fans Even Before Launch