Didier Drogba is a former professional football player from Ivory Coast and is considered one of the greatest ever from Africa. He came to prominence during his time with English Premier League football club, Chelsea FC. Some of his achievements include winning African Footballer of the Year twice and being the all-time leading scorer for his national team.
Winning the Champions League, European football’s most coveted club trophy is probably the most memorable of all his accolades. He was the kind of player that even rival fans respected for the impact he had on the game. Such players are not easily forgotten, and the following are some of the characteristics that made him great.
1. Man for the big moment
Didier has an enviable record of scoring important goals in big games, which became a personal trademark of his. In 10 cup finals, he scored 10 goals that haven’t been matched by many other players. 4 of those came in 4 FA Cup final games, a record he still holds for most goals by a player in a final.
As mentioned earlier, the most memorable of those 10 goals came in the 2012 UEFA Champions League Final against Bayern Munich. What made it so special was that it was his final game as a Chelsea player during his first stint. With two minutes remaining and Chelsea trailing 1-0, he scored a powerful header to level the score.
This forced extra time and Chelsea went on to win on penalties, with Drogba scoring the winning spot-kick. Some of his teammates used to say that he would be a different animal in preparation for big games. It goes to show that he had extra motivation to shine on the big stage.
“When I was young there were a lot of players more talented than me. They had pure talent. But my desire was stronger than their talent” – Didier Drogba
2. Competitive spirit
He certainly wouldn’t have excelled at the level he did without the competitive spirit of a fighter. His upbringing also wasn’t very rosy, and he could have missed out on his great career. Most professional footballers go through an academy in their early years to nurture their talent and potential, which he didn’t.
This was because he never settled in one place in his younger years. The family struggles he had as a young person forced him to move around a lot. By the time he got to his 20s, he had to make his mark otherwise he would never have the chance to be a professional.
He got that opportunity with the French football club, Le Mans with whom he signed his first professional contract. Sometimes in life, you just have to fight for what you believe in, even if it looks improbable.
Like any successful person, Didier Drogba had his fair share of disappointments throughout his career. One of the most notable was his sending off in the 2008 UEFA Champions League Final against Manchester United. With Chelsea having the upper hand and three minutes remaining, Drogba received a red card for slapping an opponent.
Had he stayed on, Chelsea would have won because he was going to take the final spot-kick that would win the trophy. Unfortunately, it wasn’t to be yet they were so close. The following season they had a chance at playing in the final again, but those hopes were snuffed out by Barcelona in the semis.
However three years later in what was, for the most part, a poor season, they again made it to the final. Through an almost bizarre set of circumstances, Chelsea somehow made it past a Barcelona team that was in its prime. In some ways, luck was on their side as they beat Barcelona in the semis before facing Bayern Munich.
This time, Drogba redeemed himself for what happened four years earlier by scoring the winning penalty. That level of persistence to keep trying after several failed attempts was impressive. It goes to show that persistence pays off eventually.
“I have won many trophies in my time, but nothing will ever top helping win the battle for peace in my country” – Didier Drogba
4. Highly influential
Beyond football, Drogba played a significant role in helping to bring an end to the civil war in Ivory Coast. That incident coincided with the Ivorian national team qualifying for their first-ever World Cup tournament in 2006. After their final qualifying game, he made a heartfelt speech on camera to his homeland calling for a cease-fire. It served to unite the war-torn nation and to rally around the national team to make its mark on the world stage.
For his efforts, he was appointed a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Development Programme. He continues to speak out about humanitarian prejudices in sports and being a voice for the voiceless. His heart for the people of Africa made him a popular figure with many people around the world. He invests a lot in his homeland to give younger generations opportunities to excel in life as he has. Real influence is measured by the lives you touch and leave in a better state than when you found them.
What are some of your fondest memories of Didier Drogba? Comment below!
20 Ways You Can Become a Powerful Communicator
Some people seem to naturally know how to effectively communicate in a group setting. They can express themselves clearly and listen attentively without dominating the conversation.
Being a powerful communicator is important for several reasons, including building and maintaining relationships, achieving goals, resolving conflicts, improving productivity, leading and influencing others, advancing in your career, expressing yourself more confidently and authentically, and improving your mental and emotional well-being. Effective communication is an essential life skill that can benefit you in all aspects of your life.
1. Listen actively: Practice active listening by giving your full attention to the speaker and responding to what they are saying.
2. Use “I” statements: Speak from your own perspective and avoid placing blame or making accusations.
3. Avoid assumptions: Don’t make assumptions about what the other person is thinking or feeling.
4. Be clear: Express your thoughts and feelings clearly and concisely by getting to the point and avoid using jargon or overly complex language.
5. Show empathy: Show that you understand and care about the other person’s feelings.
6. Offer valuable insights: When speaking in a group, provide a valuable takeaway or actionable item that people can walk away with.
7. Be an active listener: Listen attentively and respond accordingly, incorporating your points into the conversation.
8. Choose the right time: Pick the most opportune time to speak to ensure that you have the group’s attention and can deliver your message without interruption.
9. Be the unifying voice: Step in and unify the group’s thoughts to calm down the discussion and insert your point effectively.
10. Keep responses concise: Keep responses short and to the point to show respect for others’ time.
11. Avoid unnecessary comments: Avoid commenting on everything and only speak when you have something important to say.
12. Cut the fluff: Avoid being long-winded and get straight to the point.
13. Prepare ahead of time: Sort out your points and practice them before speaking in a group.
14. Smile and be positive: Smile and nod along as others speak, to build a positive relationship and be respected when it’s your turn to speak.
15. Take responsibility: Take responsibility for your own actions and feelings.
16. Ask questions: Ask questions to clarify any confusion or misunderstandings.
17. Avoid interrupting: Allow the other person to finish speaking without interruption.
18. Practice active listening: Repeat what the other person said to ensure you have understood correctly.
19. Use your body language too: Use nonverbal cues such as eye contact, facial expressions, and body language to convey your message and build rapport.
20. Be aware of the tone of your voice: it should be calm and assertive, not aggressive or passive.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can improve your communication skills and become a more powerful communicator, which can help you build better relationships, achieve your goals, and lead a more fulfilling life.
I you want to learn how to become more confident in life then you can join my weekly mentorship calls and 40+ online workshops at AweBliss.com so you can master your life with more success.
Dead Men Tell No Tales: How to Navigate a Mutiny as a Leader in 10 Steps
You’re the manager. You’re the supervisor. You’re the leader. But maybe your people don’t see it that way
How to Think Like a CEO for Your Future Success
A blueprint for CEOs to draw a disciplined strategy
Strategic thinking helps CEOs build successful businesses. It helps them establish everlasting enterprises. It is one of the key elements of decision-making. It is different from strategic leadership. It differentiates between leaders from managers. (more…)
How to Focus Your Mind on Your Goals in 2023 Constructively
In this world of distractions due to information overload, it has become a big challenge to focus our minds
In this world of distractions due to information overload, it has become a big challenge to focus our minds on positive aspects and constructive activities. Sometimes we waste our precious time mentally and physically due to distractions arising out of technology. We must understand our priorities and learn how to focus on them religiously. (more…)
Failing is More Important Than Succeeding
51 Legendary Elvis Presley Quotes
Why Entrepreneurial Innovation Matters More Than Ever
20 Ways You Can Become a Powerful Communicator
5 Indicators of Unresolved Attachment Trauma
77 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
(Images) 60 Colorful Picture Quotes To Empower Your Life
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
Success Advice4 weeks ago
How to Stand Out as a Leader in 2023 & Beyond
Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
How You Can Start Networking in Style in 2023
Life4 weeks ago
The 7 Hidden Signs You’re Self-Sabotaging Your Progress
Success Advice3 weeks ago
The Dark Side of Success: How to Identify and Avoid Toxic Leaders
Success Advice3 weeks ago
Why Every Successful Business Needs a Co-founder
Success Advice3 weeks ago
How to Fast Track Your Career for Guaranteed Success
Entrepreneurs2 weeks ago
How to Lose a Team in 10 Days: Are You a True Leader?
Life2 weeks ago
Grit: The Key to Your Ultimate Greatness