Muhammad Ali is a former professional boxer generally considered to be one of the greatest heavyweight fighters in the history of boxing. He was a golden glove winner and won an Olympic gold medal.
Here are 64 quotes from Muhammad Ali:
1. “Friendship… is not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.” – Muhammad Ali
2. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’” – Muhammad Ali
3. “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” – Muhammad Ali
4. “I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick; I’m so mean I make medicine sick.” – Muhammad Ali
5. “Silence is golden when you can’t think of a good answer.” – Muhammad Ali
6. “It’s just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.” – Muhammad Ali
7. “Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don’t let yourself believe it will happen to you.” Muhammad Ali
8. “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.” – Muhammad Ali
9. “It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.” – Muhammad Ali
10. “I know where I’m going and I know the truth, and I don’t have to be what you want me to be. I’m free to be what I want.” – Muhammad Ali
11. “A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.” – Muhammad Ali
12. “It’s the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.” – Muhammad Ali
13. “It’s not bragging if you can back it up.” – Muhammad Ali
14. “If you lose a big fight, it will worry you all of your life. It will plague you – until you get your revenge.” – Muhammad Ali
15. “If you even dream of beating me you’d better wake up and apologize.” – Muhammad Ali
16. “To be able to give away riches is mandatory if you wish to possess them. This is the only way that you will be truly rich.” – Muhammad Ali
17. “Sonny Liston is nothing. The man can’t talk. The man can’t fight. The man needs talking lessons. The man needs boxing lessons. And since he’s gonna fight me, he needs falling lessons.” – Muhammad Ali
18. “My trainer don’t tell me nothing between rounds. I don’t allow him to. I fight the fight. All I want to know is did I win the round. It’s too late for advice.” – Muhammad Ali
19. “I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world.” – Muhammad Ali
20th Muhammad Ali Quote –“No one knows what to say in the loser’s locker room.” – Muhammad Ali
21. “Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.” – Muhammad Ali
22. “I’m so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark.” – Muhammad Ali
23. “My principles are more important than the money or my title.” – Muhammad Ali
24. “At home I am a nice guy: but I don’t want the world to know. Humble people, I’ve found, don’t get very far.” – Muhammad Ali
25. “People don’t realize what they had till it’s gone. Like President Kennedy, there was no one like him, the Beatles, and my man Elvis Presley. I was the Elvis of boxing.” – Muhammad Ali
26. “I’ve made my share of mistakes along the way, but if I have changed even one life for the better, I haven’t lived in vain.” – Muhammad Ali
27. “A rooster crows only when it sees the light. Put him in the dark and he’ll never crow. I have seen the light and I’m crowing.” – Muhammad Ali
28. “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.” – Muhammad Ali
29. “I don’t have to be what you want me to be.” – Muhammad Ali
30. “I’ve seen George Foreman shadow boxing, and the shadow won.” – Muhammad Ali
31. “I said I was ‘The Greatest,’ I never said I was the smartest!” – Muhammad Ali
32. “I am an ordinary man who worked hard to develop the talent I was given. I believed in myself, and I believe in the goodness of others.” – Muhammad Ali
33. “My only fault is that I don’t realize how great I really am.” – Muhammad Ali
34. “I’m the greatest thing that ever lived! I’m the king of the world! I’m a bad man. I’m the prettiest thing that ever lived.” – Muhammad Ali
35. “It’s lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself.” – Muhammad Ali
36. “My way of joking is to tell the truth. That’s the funniest joke in the world.” – Muhammad Ali
37. “The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses – behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” – Muhammad Ali
38. “I’m not the greatest; I’m the double greatest. Not only do I knock ’em out, I pick the round.” – Muhammad Ali
39. “When you can whip any man in the world, you never know peace.” – Muhammad Ali
40th Muhammad Ali Quote – “I’m no leader; I’m a little humble follower.” – Muhammad Ali
41. “Ali’s got a left, Ali’s got a right – when he knocks you down, you’ll sleep for the night; and when you lie on the floor and the ref counts to ten, hope and pray that you never meet me again.” – Muhammad Ali
42. “I never thought of losing, but now that it’ s happened, the only thing is to do it right. That’s my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life.” – Muhammad Ali
43. “The man who has no imagination has no wings.” – Muhammad Ali
44. “Superman don’t need no seat belt.” – Muhammad Ali
45. “I should be a postage stamp, because that’s the only way I’ll ever get licked. I’m beautiful. I’m fast. I’m so mean I make medicine sick. I can’t possibly be beat.” – Muhammad Ali
46. “I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.” – Muhammad Ali
47. “Wars of nations are fought to change maps. But wars of poverty are fought to map change.” – Muhammad Ali
48. “I always bring out the best in men I fight, but Joe Frazier, I’ll tell the world right now, brings out the best in me. I’m gonna tell ya, that’s one helluva man, and God bless him.” – Muhammad Ali
49. “I calculate that I took 20,000 punches, but I earned millions and kept a lot of it. I may talk slow, but my mind is OK.” – Muhammad Ali
50. “Age is whatever you think it is. You are as old as you think you are.” – Muhammad Ali
51. “It’s hard to be humble, when you’re as great as I am.” – Muhammad Ali
52. “I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest.” – Muhammad Ali
53. “Old age is just a record of one’s whole life.” – Muhammad Ali
54. “When I won the Golden Gloves in 1960, that made me realize I had a chance. And when I won at the Olympics, that sealed it: I was the champ.” – Muhammad Ali
55. “There are no pleasures in a fight but some of my fights have been a pleasure to win.” – Muhammad Ali
56. “You think the world was shocked when Nixon resigned? Wait till I whup George Foreman’s behind.” – Muhammad Ali
57. “I shook up the world, I shook up the world.” – Muhammad Ali
58. “I wanted to use my fame and this face that everyone knows so well to help uplift and inspire people around the world.” – Muhammad Ali
59. “ To be a great champion, you must believe you are the best. If you’re not, pretend you are.” – Muhammad Ali
60. “What you are thinking about, you are becoming.” – Muhammad Ali
61. “I don’t count my sit-ups. I only count when it starts hurting because they’re the only ones that count.” – Muhammad Ali
62. “I’m the best. I just haven’t played yet.”– Muhammad Ali
63. “I’m gonna show you how great I am.” – Muhammad Ali
64. “Friendship is not something you learn in school but if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship you really haven’t learned anything. “ – Muhammad Ali
What’s your favorite Muhammad Ali Quote? Share your favorite quote in the comment section below.
55 of the Best Johnny Depp Quotes to Inspire You Today
Johnny Depp, famous for his portrayal of strange and eccentric characters, is undoubtedly one of the most popular stars in Hollywood. But his real life has also been as strange as anything. Johnny Depp has faced many hardships starting from his teenage years. Before he became a big thing in Hollywood, he used to make ends meet by selling pens and having odd end jobs. So, yes, he has had his fair share of struggles. But today, he is rated as one of the most successful actors in Hollywood. (more…)
54 Joe Rogan Quotes That Will Motivate You to Greatness
Joe Rogan is a stand-up comedian, a figure in the MMA space, and former host of Fear Factor. But Rogan is more recognized his famous podcast The Joe Rogan Experience which is at the top of many iTunes charts. Each week, Joe Rogan sits down with a public figure to have a raw conversation to discuss their story, passions, and life in general. These people range from actors & scientists, to controversial figures in the news. Rogan is well known for dropping knowledge bombs in his show and is respected & looked up to by people in a variety of spaces as a motivational & inspirational figure. (more…)
27 Cristiano Ronaldo Quotes That Will Sow the Seeds of Success in Your Life
Cristiano Ronaldo is inarguably, one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen. He is currently at the top of his game but his rise to prominence was far from ease. The Portuguese star has had his fair share of struggles but his thirst for perfection kept him going and made him the greatest of all time. (more…)
6 Inspiring Quotes From Lucille Ball That Will Motivate You to Stand Out and Reach for the Stars
The original “Queen of Comedy” Lucille “Lucy” Ball, continues to be an icon of fiery sass and humor for every generation. Her timeless comedic talent still sets the standard for those desiring to follow in her celebrated entertainment footsteps.
Here are six inspiring quotes from her that will motivate you to stand out from the crowd and never give up on your dreams:
1. “One of the things I learned the hard way, was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
In business and our personal lives, we are bombarded daily by outward criticism and inward self-doubt. In order to realise the success we strive for and attain the goals we hope to achieve, it’s important to practice a strong positive outlook.
Although Ball was known for being an inherently shy girl, when she was 15 years old, she convinced her mom to allow her to attend New York Drama School. The administrator of the school, unable to see the talent hidden behind the shyness, wrote to her mother telling her not to “waste her money and the school’s time with this shy, awkward young lady.”
Refusing to be deterred by the shortsighted criticism, Ball dug in her heels, overcame her shyness, and went on to become the talented comedic actress and icon we know and love today. Just imagine how unfortunate it would have been if she had taken the negative criticism to heart and decided to give up her passion.
2. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work—and realising what is opportunity and what isn’t.”
Today, we are very much conditioned to expect instant gratification in all areas of life. It’s important to remember, however, that true personal and professional success is achieved through tenacity and hard work. Very seldom does “luck” play a substantial role in building a solid and promising future.
Few people may realise that beyond the laughter and crazy shenanigans that Ball is so well known for, she was a trailblazing businesswoman who mapped out her professional path and keenly took advantage of opportunities that came her way.
Behind the scenes, she was co-creator, owner, and partner of Desilu Productions with her husband, Desi Arnaz. I Love Lucy was the first real sitcom developed by a husband and wife team, and under Desilu Studios, the show pioneered the multi-camera shot and filmed in front of a live audience—something no one else was doing at the time.
Being a female owner of a film production company in the 1960s was unprecedented. But, Ball didn’t stop there. Instead, she would eventually buy out Desi and become the first female CEO of a major television and movie production company. Her hard work and perseverance created a legacy to last for generations.
3. “I’d rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven’t.”
Regrets are a fact of life both personally and professionally. However, most of us would probably admit that we learned some valuable things about ourselves from past mistakes and mishaps. Most would agree that our biggest regrets are related to the opportunities and experiences that we didn’t seize when we had the chance.
Ball’s career in the entertainment world was full of various ups and downs that included many B movies and lackluster performances. However, she continued to forge ahead learning from each and every experience. She was forty years old when she finally hit her stride and began her journey with I Love Lucy. Ball didn’t let the fact that Hollywood considered her to be “old” to stop her from fulfilling her dreams.
Instead of letting the long road of disappointments and closed doors discourage her, Ball refused to give up and found a way to create her own destiny and achieve the success that she had worked so hard for.
4. “I dyed my hair this crazy red to bid for attention. It has become a trademark, and I’ve got to keep it this way.”
We live in a culture where most of us just want to fit in. There is a pressure to conform to a set of expectations in both our professional and personal lives. However, it’s often when we take a risk to set ourselves apart, that doors of opportunities and experiences open for us.
For example, Ball’s natural hair colour was a light to medium brown with reddish tones. Early in her career, she bleached it blonde in hopes of being able to compete with the plethora of bombshell blondes of the era. She eventually realised, however, she needed to stand out, not blend in!
In a past interview, Ball is quoted stating, “Not being a beauty, I hated any part in a picture which depended on beauty. I resented work where looks were that important. There are so many glamour girls that I felt it was silly for me to try to compete with them.”
Dyeing her natural brown hair the colour red was one of the greatest risks Ball took early in her career, but it became one of the late comedian’s most beautiful physical features that helped her stand out and succeed in Hollywood. She shared, “I had to learn to concentrate on developing my personality—to have an individual approach. The way you feel about yourself has a lot to do with the impression you make.”
5. “The more things you do, the more you can do.”
We should never stop striving to learn new skills and grow in knowledge. Taking the steps to constantly evolve in our understanding of our professional and personal life—as well as the world around us—helps build a firm foundation for our present and future.
Ball was a true pioneer for the women of her time. She was not afraid to tackle new things or learn more about the production and business side of her career even though she was encroaching on a man’s world at the time. She knew that any knowledge she gained about the entertainment business would help ensure her future success.
For example, behind the scenes, Ball was an integral part of the business operations of Desilu Productions. She was one of the final voices in all decisions made regarding the show and the production company. And it didn’t stop there. In front of the camera, she portrayed a determined woman diligently trying to work outside of the home in various careers while still tackling the responsibilities of being a housewife and a mother. To put it simply, she just wasn’t scared to try something new.
It’s important to not let fear of failure, or the unknown, deter us from taking chances to break the mould and step out of our comfort zone. The possibilities for growth, success, and achievement are endless.
6. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
It’s quite profound how much we can learn from the fortitude and spunk exuded from Lucille Ball, the “Queen of Comedy.” As we’ve seen through these quotes, Ball refused to let others dictate who she would become or what she would achieve. Instead, she had a firm grasp on her own self-worth and was determined to forge ahead to fulfill her dreams.
She demonstrated that self-confidence and inner strength are vital to professional and personal success—a lesson that we would all be wise to remember.
Which one of the above Lucille Ball quotes was your favorite and why? Share your thoughts with us below!
A Salesman’s Guide On What To Do When Your Prospect Misses Your Call
How to Write a Personal Destiny Statement in 3 Steps
How a Nighttime Routine Can Make You More Successful
4 Lessons You Can Learn From the Founder of Walmart, Sam Walton
How I Built Nike: Phil Knight’s 4 Business Lessons for Young Entrepreneurs
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
(Images) 56 Inspirational Picture Quotes That Will Motivate Your Mind, Body & Soul
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Life6 days ago
Don’t Want To Feel Like A Failure Anymore? Stop Doing These 6 Things
- Success Advice1 week ago
7 Steps to Conquering the Fears That Are Holding You Back From Success
- Entrepreneurs4 days ago
4 Lessons You Can Learn From the Founder of Walmart, Sam Walton
- Entrepreneurs5 days ago
How I Built Nike: Phil Knight’s 4 Business Lessons for Young Entrepreneurs
- Success Advice2 weeks ago
If You’re Looking for Success, Here Are 5 Ways to Find It
- Entrepreneurs2 weeks ago
Tai Lopez’s 6 Tips for Managing Stress and Anxiety as an Entrepreneur
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
The 5 Most Popular Daily Habits of Ultra Successful People
- Life4 weeks ago
3 Ways to Bounce Back When Life Pushes You Hard