Robert Downey Jr. is one of the highest paid and most celebrated actors of our time. However, he spent much of his life overcoming drug addiction and alcoholism before breaking out into the iconic roles that we know and recognize him for today. Downey credits much of his success to staying humble, positive thinking, and always giving back.
Here are 37 of Robert Downey Jr’s most positive quotes:
1. “I know very little about acting. I’m just an incredibly gifted faker” – Robert Downey Jr.
2. “The lesson is that you can still make mistakes and be forgiven” – Robert Downey Jr.
3. “Remember that just because you hit bottom doesn’t mean you have to stay there” – Robert Downey Jr.
4. “There is unpanned gold in every soul you run into, no matter what walk of life they are from” – Robert Downey Jr.
5. “Mediocrity is my biggest fear. I’m not afraid of total failure because I don’t think that will happen. I’m not afraid of success because that beats the hell out of failure. It’s being in the middle that scares me” – Robert Downey Jr.
6. “There’s somewhere you’re suppoused to go, and if you get quiet enough, you’ll make it” – Robert Downey Jr.
7. “Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f*&k you were gonna do anyway” – Robert Downey Jr.
8. “I used to be so convinced that happiness was the goal, yet all those years I was chasing after it I was unhappy in the pursuit. Maybe the goal really should be a life that values honor, duty, good work, friends and family.” – Robert Downey Jr.
9. “People rise out of the ashes, because, at some point, they are invested with a belief in the possibility of triumph over seemingly impossible odds” – Robert Downey Jr.
10. “There’s a little bit of asshole in every nice guy, and there’s a little bit of genius in every moron” – Robert Downey Jr.
11. “I’ve always felt that if you’re not on your side, why should anyone else be. So I always encourage people to be confident, and sometime even a little falsely so, just so you can give yourself an opportunity” – Robert Downey Jr.
12. “I’ve always felt like an outsider in this industry. Because I’m so insane I guess” – Robert Downey Jr.
13. “I have a sense of destiny that you are led to the things you are supposed to do” – Robert Downey Jr.
14. “To me, friendship means loving tolerance” – Robert Downey Jr.
15. “Nothing will serve you better than a strong work ethic. Nothing. And it’s something that you can’t teach. You have to be thrown into it, where you’re going to sink or swim. It’s amazing how self-correcting and how clarifying a good, hard, shitty job can be. Because at the end of the day, any profession I’ve seen anybody in, when you peer behind the curtains of ‘Oh, wouldn’t that be a great job? Wow, what an amazing thing, a philanthropic endeavor!’ it really just comes down to ‘It’s a f**king grind.’” – Robert Downey Jr.
16. “I want to give myself the freedom not to have to be projecting my whole life ahead” – Robert Downey Jr.
17. “It’s really not that difficult to overcome these seemingly ghastly problems…what’s hard is to decide” – Robert Downey Jr.
18. “People never change because they are under threat or under duress. Never. They change because they see something that makes their life seem valuable enough to start moving toward a life worth living” – Robert Downey Jr.
19. “Life is just so painful and messy and hard and worth it and all that stuff” – Robert Downey Jr.
20. “I think that we all do heroic things, but her is not a noun, it’s a verb” – Robert Downey Jr.
21. “Sometimes you just gotta be drop-kicked out of the nest” – Robert Downey Jr.
22. “I understand reversal of fortune; that usually has come through my own hand, but you know, you live life on life’s terms” – Robert Downey Jr.
23. “I just think it’s good to be confident. If I’m not on my team why should anybody else be?” – Robert Downey Jr.
24. “The higher the stakes, the happier I am, the better I will be” – Robert Downey Jr.
25. “Everyone has a story, and the story changes, and the more I can root into the truth of things – it’s so hard – I don’t think anyone ever really puts it all together. But somewhere along the way it all became fused” – Robert Downey Jr.
26. “I think it’s miraculous that anybody survives themselves” – Robert Downey Jr.
27. “It’s hard to get out of the barrel. It’s slippery around the edges and people are happy to see you fall back in” – Robert Downey Jr.
28. “Job one is to get out of that cave. A lot of people do get out but don’t change” – Robert Downey Jr.
29. “Look, even bad years are pretty good years I think” – Robert Downey Jr.
30. “I think you end up doing the stuff you were supposed to do at the time you were supposed to do it” – Robert Downey Jr.
31. “I’ve noticed that worrying is like praying for you don’t want to happen” – Robert Downey Jr.
32. “Do I want to be a hero to my son? No. I would like to be a very real human being. That’s hard enough” – Robert Downey Jr.
33. “Nothings a break for me. Not even the breaks are breaks” – Robert Downey Jr.
34. “Discipline for me is about respect. It’s not even about self-respect; it’s about respect for life and all it offers.” – Robert Downey Jr.
35. “Whenever I watch someone doing something, even if it doesn’t turn out so great, I at least admire their intentions and stuff” – Robert Downey Jr.
36. “I always think part of success is being able to replicate results, taking what is interesting or viable about yourself as a professional person and seeing if you bring it into different situations with similar results” – Robert Downey Jr.
37. “I think that the power is the principle. The principle of moving forward, as though you have the confidence to move forward, eventually gives you the confidence when you look back and see what you’ve done” – Robert Downey Jr.
Which RDJ quote resonated with you the most? Comment below!
6 Inspiring Quotes From Lucille Ball That Will Motivate You to Stand Out and Reach for the Stars
The original “Queen of Comedy” Lucille “Lucy” Ball, continues to be an icon of fiery sass and humor for every generation. Her timeless comedic talent still sets the standard for those desiring to follow in her celebrated entertainment footsteps.
Here are six inspiring quotes from her that will motivate you to stand out from the crowd and never give up on your dreams:
1. “One of the things I learned the hard way, was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
In business and our personal lives, we are bombarded daily by outward criticism and inward self-doubt. In order to realise the success we strive for and attain the goals we hope to achieve, it’s important to practice a strong positive outlook.
Although Ball was known for being an inherently shy girl, when she was 15 years old, she convinced her mom to allow her to attend New York Drama School. The administrator of the school, unable to see the talent hidden behind the shyness, wrote to her mother telling her not to “waste her money and the school’s time with this shy, awkward young lady.”
Refusing to be deterred by the shortsighted criticism, Ball dug in her heels, overcame her shyness, and went on to become the talented comedic actress and icon we know and love today. Just imagine how unfortunate it would have been if she had taken the negative criticism to heart and decided to give up her passion.
2. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work—and realising what is opportunity and what isn’t.”
Today, we are very much conditioned to expect instant gratification in all areas of life. It’s important to remember, however, that true personal and professional success is achieved through tenacity and hard work. Very seldom does “luck” play a substantial role in building a solid and promising future.
Few people may realise that beyond the laughter and crazy shenanigans that Ball is so well known for, she was a trailblazing businesswoman who mapped out her professional path and keenly took advantage of opportunities that came her way.
Behind the scenes, she was co-creator, owner, and partner of Desilu Productions with her husband, Desi Arnaz. I Love Lucy was the first real sitcom developed by a husband and wife team, and under Desilu Studios, the show pioneered the multi-camera shot and filmed in front of a live audience—something no one else was doing at the time.
Being a female owner of a film production company in the 1960s was unprecedented. But, Ball didn’t stop there. Instead, she would eventually buy out Desi and become the first female CEO of a major television and movie production company. Her hard work and perseverance created a legacy to last for generations.
3. “I’d rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven’t.”
Regrets are a fact of life both personally and professionally. However, most of us would probably admit that we learned some valuable things about ourselves from past mistakes and mishaps. Most would agree that our biggest regrets are related to the opportunities and experiences that we didn’t seize when we had the chance.
Ball’s career in the entertainment world was full of various ups and downs that included many B movies and lackluster performances. However, she continued to forge ahead learning from each and every experience. She was forty years old when she finally hit her stride and began her journey with I Love Lucy. Ball didn’t let the fact that Hollywood considered her to be “old” to stop her from fulfilling her dreams.
Instead of letting the long road of disappointments and closed doors discourage her, Ball refused to give up and found a way to create her own destiny and achieve the success that she had worked so hard for.
4. “I dyed my hair this crazy red to bid for attention. It has become a trademark, and I’ve got to keep it this way.”
We live in a culture where most of us just want to fit in. There is a pressure to conform to a set of expectations in both our professional and personal lives. However, it’s often when we take a risk to set ourselves apart, that doors of opportunities and experiences open for us.
For example, Ball’s natural hair colour was a light to medium brown with reddish tones. Early in her career, she bleached it blonde in hopes of being able to compete with the plethora of bombshell blondes of the era. She eventually realised, however, she needed to stand out, not blend in!
In a past interview, Ball is quoted stating, “Not being a beauty, I hated any part in a picture which depended on beauty. I resented work where looks were that important. There are so many glamour girls that I felt it was silly for me to try to compete with them.”
Dyeing her natural brown hair the colour red was one of the greatest risks Ball took early in her career, but it became one of the late comedian’s most beautiful physical features that helped her stand out and succeed in Hollywood. She shared, “I had to learn to concentrate on developing my personality—to have an individual approach. The way you feel about yourself has a lot to do with the impression you make.”
5. “The more things you do, the more you can do.”
We should never stop striving to learn new skills and grow in knowledge. Taking the steps to constantly evolve in our understanding of our professional and personal life—as well as the world around us—helps build a firm foundation for our present and future.
Ball was a true pioneer for the women of her time. She was not afraid to tackle new things or learn more about the production and business side of her career even though she was encroaching on a man’s world at the time. She knew that any knowledge she gained about the entertainment business would help ensure her future success.
For example, behind the scenes, Ball was an integral part of the business operations of Desilu Productions. She was one of the final voices in all decisions made regarding the show and the production company. And it didn’t stop there. In front of the camera, she portrayed a determined woman diligently trying to work outside of the home in various careers while still tackling the responsibilities of being a housewife and a mother. To put it simply, she just wasn’t scared to try something new.
It’s important to not let fear of failure, or the unknown, deter us from taking chances to break the mould and step out of our comfort zone. The possibilities for growth, success, and achievement are endless.
6. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
It’s quite profound how much we can learn from the fortitude and spunk exuded from Lucille Ball, the “Queen of Comedy.” As we’ve seen through these quotes, Ball refused to let others dictate who she would become or what she would achieve. Instead, she had a firm grasp on her own self-worth and was determined to forge ahead to fulfill her dreams.
She demonstrated that self-confidence and inner strength are vital to professional and personal success—a lesson that we would all be wise to remember.
Which one of the above Lucille Ball quotes was your favorite and why? Share your thoughts with us below!
30 Inspirational Quotes by Michelle Obama That Will Lift Everyone Up
Michelle Obama, wife of former United States President, Barack Obama, an American lawyer and writer, a former First Lady of the United States of America, a mom, an author and a style icon. In the eight amazing years that she served as the First Lady of the United States of America, she managed to become an inspiration for women all across the globe.
She has always spoken and worked towards equal rights for women, education for girls and healthy living. She is the proper definition of the modern-day revolutionary woman. Over the last couple of years, she has been encouraging people everywhere with her incredible words of wisdom and motivation. Every single person – young or old, is sure to take inspiration and motivation from her words.
Here are 30 quotes spoken by Michelle Obama:
1. “When they go low, we go high.”
2. “Success isn’t about how much money you make. It’s about the difference you make in people’s lives.”
3. “Always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals.”
4. “The only limit to the height of your achievement is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work hard for them.”
5. “Being a healthy woman isn’t about getting on a scale or measuring your waistline. We need to start focusing on what matters – on how we feel, and how we feel about ourselves.”
6. “As women, we must stand up for ourselves. As women, we must stand up for each other. As women, we must stand up for justice for all.”
7. “No matter who you are, no matter where you come from, you are BEAUTIFUL.”
8. “Always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody says distract you from your goals.”
9. “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contribution of half of its citizens.”
10. “You don’t have to say anything to the haters. You don’t have to acknowledge them at all. You just wake up every morning and be the best you can be. And that tends to shut them up.”
11. “Instead of letting your hardships and failures discourage or exhaust you, let them inspire you. Let them make you even hungrier to succeed.”
12. “Empower yourselves with a good education, then get out there and use that education to build a country worthy of your boundless promise.”
13. “When girls are educated, their countries become stronger and more prosperous.”
14. “Success is only meaningful and enjoyable if it feels like your own.”
15. “Choose people who lift you up.”
16. “The difference between a broken community and a thriving one is the presence of women who are valued.”
17. “Don’t be afraid. Be focused. Be determined. Be hopeful. Be empowered.”
18. “Just do what works for you because there will always be someone who thinks differently.”
19. “Every girl, no matter where she lives, deserves the opportunity to develop the promise inside of her.”
20. “Just try new things. Don’t be afraid. Step out of your comfort zones and soar.”
21. “Do not bring people in your life who weigh you down. Trust your instincts, good relationships feel good, they feel right, they don’t hurt.”
22. “The one way to get me to work my hardest was to doubt me.”
23. “Don’t ever make decisions based on fear. Make decisions based on hope and possibility. Make decisions based on what should happen, not what shouldn’t.”
24. “I have learned that as long as I hold fast to my beliefs and values – and follow my own moral compass – then the only expectations I need to live up to are my own.”
25. “Changing the big picture takes time… and the best thing to do is focus on the things that we can make in our lives. If we’re doing all that – that becomes the collage of real change.”
26. “People who are truly strong lift others up. People who are truly powerful bring others together.”
27. “We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to do’ list.”
28. “You can’t make decisions based on fear and the possibility of what might happen.”
29. “I am an example of what is possible when girls from the beginning of their lives are loved and nurtured by people around them. I was surrounded by extraordinary women in my life who taught me about quiet strength and dignity.”
30. “If my future were determined just by my performance on a standardized test, I wouldn’t be here. I guarantee you that.”
What is your favorite quote from Michelle Obama? Comment Below!
90 Success Quotes You Should Have Tattooed On Your Body!
5 Ways To Prevent Burnout & Still Be Successful
Why Investing in Yourself Is the Best Investment You Can Make
3 Time-Effective Strategies That Twitter’s CEO Jack Dorsey Uses to Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
5 Ways to Magnetize Your Audience
If You Want to Avoid Failure Once and for All, Ask Yourself These 4 Questions
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
(Images) 56 Inspirational Picture Quotes That Will Motivate Your Mind, Body & Soul
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
If You Want to Be Successful Stop These 3 Toxic Habits
- Life4 weeks ago
Meditation for Beginners: How It Works and Where to Start
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
3 Mindset Reframes Business Owners Can Use in 5 Minutes or Less for Greater Success
- Motivation4 weeks ago
The Guide to Staying Motivated While Working Alone
- Startups3 weeks ago
51 Mistakes That Can Sabotage Your Dream Startup
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
3 Impactful Ways to Building a Successful Business in Your First Year as an Entrepreneur
- Life2 weeks ago
3 Inspiring Lessons We Can Learn From Jim Carrey About the Law of Attraction
- Quotes2 weeks ago
6 Inspiring Quotes From Lucille Ball That Will Motivate You to Stand Out and Reach for the Stars