Do you know that feeling?
That urge calling you to do better. To establish firm goals and go after each in a predestined, unfaltering and decisive manner.
But something holds you back.
You can’t quite put your finger on it, yet something inside you is stopping you from manifesting the greatest version of yourself.
And while working out this problem, life is passing you by.
But it isn’t your fault.
Schools, parents, and peers don’t teach you the inner workings of the mind — the device responsible for your most spectacular successes and ugliest failures.
You see, most often than not, the way you think about things is the root cause of your unhappiness.
The biggest liar in the world
Your mind is undoubtedly brilliant. Though it has a dark side.
Whispering in your ear, moment after moment, telling you things you wouldn’t even tolerate from your worst enemy.
It can behave like a paranoid schizophrenic, convincing you that everyone is out to get you, you’re not good enough and you must change who you are to fit in.
To top it off, all the proof is there of your inadequacy. You find it difficult to connect with people, you’re in a job that sucks and you keep making silly mistakes over and over again. Sure signs of failure.
There comes a point when you can no longer separate yourself from these “truths” – you are one with your beliefs. That’s when you stop trying to make meaningful change in your life.
But listening to your mind is like living with a liar. The internal chatter becomes so overpowering, it’s almost impossible to recognize that thoughts are only words the mind strings together at any given moment.
The good news? It’s never too late to cut through the fog, flip your unhelpful beliefs and create a life of success.
“If one can only see things according to one’s own belief system, one is destined to become virtually deaf, dumb and blind.” – Robert Anton Wilson
Canny ways to uncover your limiting beliefs:
- What’s your body telling you? What thoughts go through your mind when you have tension in your stomach? Your mind and body are connected, and even when your mind blinds you, your body will be a better place to look for answers. I had stomach pains for many years, but I accepted them as part of being anxious most of the time. Had I listened to my stomach earlier, I could’ve explored the reasons behind the constant churning.
- What do you avoid? Things that you’re afraid to do can point to your stubborn, unhelpful beliefs. I don’t mean you have to jump off a bridge with a rope attached to your legs if you’re terrified of heights – though you could try that too. What I’m saying is that you habitually stop doing things you think are hard. Maybe you’re asked to give a presentation and your immediate reaction is to refuse it. Go in and explore why you reject this. Often what you most avoid is what you should be doing to progress.
- Who offends you and why? People who hurt you can act like a mirror giving a glimpse into underlying beliefs you hold tight. Your friends will rarely point out your blind spots. I’m not suggesting the offenders are right; instead, think of those as areas where you can make improvements in your attitude. It doesn’t help you to be angry and bottle up emotions against someone else. These emotions can indicate that you need to ease up some feelings when someone says the wrong thing to you. Your anger won’t hurt them. It only harms you.
- Can you stare at a wall … and do nothing? Most people are unable to do it for long (unless they’re experienced monks). I guarantee, even before 10 seconds pass your mind will jump into as many different ideas, worries and concerns. Which is an ideal opportunity for taking note of the chain of thoughts your mind created in that short time. And most of those sub-conscious thoughts will have an unpleasant undertone as studies have shown, because that’s the way minds work. So don’t be surprised of what you uncover.
The art of taming unhelpful beliefs:
So you now have some ideas about what those negative beliefs are, but how do you get rid of them? You don’t actually have to. It’s enough to turn the volume down on them to lessen their power over you.
- Say, “Hello.” Receive your negative thoughts, beliefs and feelings with open arms instead of fighting them. Acceptance does not equal defeat. It’s more like a friendly acknowledgement. Once you’re better at recognizing your thoughts and beliefs, you can give them a little nod, as if to say, “Yes, I can see you’re there.” But they don’t have to bother you.
- Don’t take them seriously. You can try not taking negative blabber seriously. Since laughter is the best form of medicine, do what it takes to ridicule them. Repeat troubling phrases in your head in a funny voice (Yoda is my favorite). Or try recording your most intrusive phrase, like “I’m not good enough” for about five minutes to a recording device. Then re-listen – if you can bear it for that long, you’ll understand that these are merely harmless words repeated over and over again.
- Join a community. Find a support group (online or off) – the type of people whom you aspire to be. They’ll soon make you realize that your most precious beliefs could be just fantasies. They’ve been through where you are now and know the shortcuts to overcoming your problems. They’ll inspire you and show you how to thrive in your skin. There’s no easier way to grow than by taking advantage of the power of an experienced group.
“Limits, like fear, is often an illusion” – Michael Jordan
Transforming the noise into action
Your mind will always try and trip you up, no matter how self-developed you are. That’s the nature of minds.
But you can outsmart it by staying one step ahead and understanding its workings.
Every day, you have oodles of chances to acquaint yourself with the real meaning behind your sub-conscious thoughts.
Knowing how to catch the unhelpful chatter and turn them into a source of power will help you fling into the orbit of change and onto a rich life that’s worth living.
And there isn’t a more ideal day than today – so you’d better get started.
7 of The Best Motivational Speeches of All Time
What could we possibly achieve by listening to motivational speeches? Isn’t that a waste of time? It’s not. A great motivational speech can be a trigger to action. It inspires you to do something. Powerful speeches make you realize you’re not just a useless individual in this world. Everyone matters. You matter, too. (more…)
Motivational Advice You Never Hear From Elon Musk
You Don’t Have to Get Your Mind Right to Take Action
While many people say that you have to get your mindset “right” in order to create a truly amazing life, they couldn’t be more wrong
Here’s Why You Need to Make Motivation Personal
You put down your self-help book and you feel ready. You are ready to conquer any Herculean task that is standing in your way to success. You are transformed, and you cannot wait to show the world what you are capable of. The next day, you wake up early in the morning. You turn off your phone’s alarm clock with such energy you know you are going to smash the day. (more…)
Failing is More Important Than Succeeding
51 Legendary Elvis Presley Quotes
Why Entrepreneurial Innovation Matters More Than Ever
20 Ways You Can Become a Powerful Communicator
5 Indicators of Unresolved Attachment Trauma
77 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
(Images) 60 Colorful Picture Quotes To Empower Your Life
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
Success Advice3 weeks ago
How to Stand Out as a Leader in 2023 & Beyond
Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
How You Can Start Networking in Style in 2023
Life4 weeks ago
The 7 Hidden Signs You’re Self-Sabotaging Your Progress
Success Advice3 weeks ago
The Dark Side of Success: How to Identify and Avoid Toxic Leaders
Success Advice3 weeks ago
Why Every Successful Business Needs a Co-founder
Success Advice2 weeks ago
How to Fast Track Your Career for Guaranteed Success
Entrepreneurs2 weeks ago
How to Lose a Team in 10 Days: Are You a True Leader?
Life2 weeks ago
Grit: The Key to Your Ultimate Greatness