- 12 Empowering Lessons From The Multi Billionaire “Warren Buffett”Posted 2 weeks ago
- 25 Thought Provoking Picture Quotes To Inspire A Change In YouPosted 2 months ago
- Top 20 Quotes To Inspire Graduate StudentsPosted 2 months ago
- 25 Inspirational Quotes From Great Personal Development AuthorsPosted 3 months ago
The Top 6 Scientifically Proven Ways To Persuade & Encourage Others
Here are 6 scientifically proven ways to successfully persuade and encourage rather than ‘demand’ to achieve a behaviour change.
Here we take the position that persuasion is a science, not art, hence with the right approach anybody can become the master in the skill of persuasion.
1. Inconvenience the audience by creating an impression of product scarcity. It’s the famous change from “Call now, the operators are standing by” to “If the line is busy, call again”, that greatly improved the call volume by creating the impression that everybody else is trying to buy the same product.
2. Introduce the herd effect. A hotel sign in the bathroom informed the guests that many prior guests chose to be environmentally friendly by recycling their towels. However, when the message mentioned that majority of the guests who stayed in this specific room chose to be more environmentally conscious and reused their towels, towel recycling jumped 33%, even though the message was largely the same.
3. Ads quoting negative behaviour en masse reinforces negative behaviour. Petrified Forest National Park A/B tested two versions of a sign imploring people not to steal pieces of petrified forest from the park. One mentioned large amounts of petrified forest taken away on an annual basis, the other one simply asked the visitors not to remove petrified wood. The first one actually tripled the theft ratio as it showed stealing petrified wood as something commonplace.
4. Avoiding magnetic middle. A survey measured energy usage of a certain neighbourhood on a week-by-week basis. When the average electricity consumption for the neighbourhood was calculated, researchers sent thank-you cards to those using the energy conservatively, and a nice reminder to perhaps conserve to those who used electricity liberally. Net effect? Reduced electricity consumption.
5. Too many options necessitate selection, and hence frustration, when the brain decides it’s unnecessary work. The example here is given by a company that manages retirement funds for other companies, and hence has access to retirement information of 800,000 employees. When employees were offered a choice of 2 funds, roughly 75% signed up for a retirement programme. When the number of funds was increased to 59%, even though qualitatively this was a better deal for employees, only 60% decided to sign up. When Head & Shoulders brand killed off 11 flavors of the shampoo, leaving only 15 on the market, the sales rose 10%.
6. Giving away the product makes it less desirable. Researchers gave one group of people a picture of a pearl bracelet and asked to evaluate its desirability. Another group of people was given the same task, but prior to that was shown an ad, where the same bracelet was given away for free, if you bought a bottle of expensive liqueur. The second group considered the bracelet much less desirable, since mentally a lot of potential buyers (35% of them to be exact) shuffled the bracelet onto “trinkets they give away for free” shelf in their brain.
About The Author: Joel BrownJoel Brown is the CEO and Founder of Addicted2Success.com. With a long time passion for Entrepreneurship, Self development & Success, Joel started his website with the intention of educating and inspiring likeminded people all over the world to always strive for success no matter what their circumstances. Joel’s passion for what he does shows through the continual growth of Addicted2Success.com's online community. Follow Joel Brown on Twitter or keep upto date with him on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/joelbrownA2S
10 Underdog Brands That Became Very Successful
I don’t know about you, but I love hearing the kind of stories where an underdog in the business world...
The Top 10 UK Entrepreneurs
The United Kingdom has long been a hotbed of entrepreneurial activity, and hundreds of thousands of people in Britain have...
(Video) Drake Explains Why He Is Addicted To Success
Award winning Rapper and Actor, Aubrey “Drake” Graham recently shared his insight on becoming successful and what it takes to...
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MAILING LIST
8 Ways To Grow Mentally, Physically, Emotionally & Spiritually
Life these days has become so hectic that it’s...
(Video) The Importance Of Following Your Heart & Intuition
Sometimes a 1000+ word article is a little too...
(Images) 70 Awesome Inspirational Typography Quotes
Every now and then we need a dose of...
12 Ways To Turn Your Life Around In 12 Months Or Less
The road to success is rarely straight. Anyone who...
37 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
A beautiful collection of Inspirational quotes that are loved...
10 Creative Ways To Make Money Online
If you’d claimed it was possible for the average...
Why Successful People Leave Their Loser Friends Behind
We all want to be amazing. We all want...
The Top 25 Millionaires & Billionaires That Are Using Their Money To Save The World
When you think of the word “Philanthropist“, people such as Bill...