My imperfection was my weight. I had gained over 365 pounds. I never thought or felt I was attractive. Maybe I had a pretty face, but I was always the fat girl.I let people, including family verbally abuse and intimidate me. I was boxed into a corner where I didn’t believe I could amount to much, or that what I did was worthy of the spotlight.
Does any of this sound familiar? Yours might not be a weight struggle but maybe your height, a special learning need, your looks, your poor academic background, etc. It really doesn’t matter what it is. What matters is how you respond to it.
Realize You Are Not Alone
Truth is, everyone has imperfections. Some may be more obvious than others but they exist. So, whatever you feel right now, has been felt by someone or there’s someone out there who feels exactly the same way. Weirdly comforting, right? Serena Williams was told she would never be as good as her big sister, Venus. Steve Jobs was fired from his first company. Bill Gates was a Harvard dropout. Michael Jordan didn’t reach the minimum height for basketball. Even the public figures we all admire today, had their moments when they didn’t feel proud of themselves. So you’re in good company.
The Money is in Your Story
You are a bundle of amazing ideas and dreams, in spite of your imperfections. If I would dare to say, your dreams will make more impact BECAUSE of your imperfections. Why social media is blowing up with engagement today is because of stories. People love to connect with the feelings, pain, joys, ecstasy, trials, victories of other people.
Have you ever read a post or watched a video and go, “this sounds exactly like what I’m going through”? When you connect emotionally with people as you share your unpopular story or experience, you build a connection that instantly makes you the preferred choice when they want to invest in a product/service. So document and share your dreams, fears, successes and losses ‘cos that’s how you’d contribute to impacting mankind and also creating a side income.
“Stories create community, enable us to see through the eyes of other people, and open us to the claims of others.” – Peter Forbes
You Can Go Global In An Instant (Almost!)
Creating multiple streams of income is not as hard as it may sound. When you begin to share your story, platforms and opportunities will begin to come to you. What you already know how to do or what you have experienced can be packaged into solutions that people will want to pay for. Because you are familiar with their pain, people will believe that whatever solution you offer will work for them as well. And this doesn’t just relate to health and fitness coaches.
Sharing your story can open the doors to free radio and television interviews, collaboration opportunities, global recognitions, keynote speaking engagements, public office appointments/nominations, etc. The possibilities are endless! You can literally build an online empire from sharing your story. But in order to get the rewards, you need to start.
To get started, you can:
- Write a book. Write a book around your topic that passionately shares your experience with your audience. There is a reason why biographies and autobiographies sell. People want to know the behind-the-scenes. Tell them. Show them. Writing and publishing a book doesn’t have to be the traditional way. You can publish an e-book or an audio book if you decide that you’re not ready for print publishing.
- Launch a Podcast. Different podcasts exist for different audiences. There are podcasts for moms with special needs, podcasts for subject matter experts, corporate brands also own podcast channels, etc. You can choose what to share and how to share it. The more you share your message, the more you will build a community/tribe around that message and people will begin to pay you to advertise their products to your community. Talk about double wins!
- Start a YouTube Channel. This can be as easy as pressing “record” with your mobile phone. Or hitting the go live button on any of the social media platforms that allow live streaming. Your videos can be uploaded on YouTube and you build an audience that is attracted to your message or the solution that you provide. Truth is, there’s no “one size fits all” approach with videos. The more authentic, the better it is.
- Create a blog and monetize it. Several success stories have come from blogging because it represents the easiest way (for most people) to create content consistently. Some say it’s as simple as journaling. Try it. You can monetize a blog in so many ways – affiliate commissions, selling products/services, writing sponsored reviews, etc
- Create an online course. This involves packaging your brilliance into text, audio or video format that people can pay for without you having to create/deliver the content each time a purchase is made.
- Start a Mastermind/Group Coaching. This is almost the same as creating an online course but the difference is that with a mastermind/ group coaching, you are present with those in the group, whether online or offline.
This is definitely not an exhaustive list! Depending on what mode of content creation comes best for you, text, audio or video, you can literally start sharing your story using your mobile phone. The truth is, your story can be the key to opening doors of endless opportunities and the earlier you take advantage of it, the better.
What’s stopping you from taking that first step? You certainly can’t let the voices in your head control your actions. You need to say, “Yes, I know I have a slight misstep when I walk, but that won’t stop me from reaching for my dreams of being a public speaker”. It is time to trash the excuses and own your narrative.
Career Advice From 15 of the World’s Most Famous Founders
There are many routes to success in the business world, but learning from those who have gone before you and reached the top is always an opportunity you don’t want to miss.
Steve Jobs is a man who has inspired millions with his words, and his advice sums up the creative spirit that helped Apple to keep on reinventing itself and pushing the boundaries: “I think if you do something pretty good, then you should go do something else wonderful. Not dwell on it for too long, just figure out what’s next.” (more…)
Women You Need to Pursue Your Dreams Despite the Fear
You hear it all the time…. you just have to follow your dreams. They make it sound so easy, but if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Right? But have you considered what can happen to you if you stifle those feelings that you meant for something more? If you try to ignore those feelings by telling yourself it’s not the right time, you don’t have time for that, or any other excuse there is? (more…)
5 Ways Great Leaders Give Rise to Great Ideas
It is often hindering when you hear a variant of ‘that is not how it’s done here’ in your workplace. This usually happens when employees voice their concerns or new ideas for a project, and it is confusing when a project leader dismisses or overlooks such interesting input. Even indirect dismissal in the form of ‘OK, is there anything else?’ may inadvertently build a workplace atmosphere that is not conducive to genuinely effective brainstorming. Why may this happen? And how do great leaders give rise to great ideas? Read on to find out. (more…)
Hire Slow, Fail Fast, and Learn Faster
“It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.” These words were once spoken by J. K. Rowling, famous British writer, and I believe they should be applied to a person’s success. (more…)
Lessons I Have Learned About Scaling a Business as a Startup Founder
The Surprising Secret About Growth and Change
An Open Letter to Aspiring Entrepreneurs
The Counterintuitive Motivation Hack That You Are Missing
40 Inspirational Quotes on Victory That Will Motivate You to Win
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Life4 weeks ago
3 Simple Commitments You Can Make That Will Change Your Habits for the Better
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
5 Reasons Why Starting Small is the Key to Success
- Life4 weeks ago
5 Ways to Let Go of the Past for Good
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
The Framework to Making Better Decisions in Your Life
- Motivation3 weeks ago
What Top Performers Really Do For Motivation
- Life2 weeks ago
5 Ways to Use Difficult Life Circumstances to Become Unstoppable
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
11 of the Best Podcasts to Help Women Entrepreneurs Grow Their Businesses
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
How the Use of Certain Words Can Determine Your Business Success