Mindfulness is the new buzzword and has gained traction over recent years. But what is all the hype about it and how can it be used to help us achieve our dreams? How many times have you been stressed out, overwhelmed and unsure what direction to take, especially with everything that is currently happening right now in the world?
With mindfulness we can learn to identify what is happening within our body and minds and create space in-between stimulus and response. Being able to take a step back and assess the situation, we will be better equipped to make improved business decisions which will naturally lead us to success.
Mindfulness is a holistic practice. The general idea is to observe physical sensations and psychological experiences, desires, emotions, feelings, thoughts. Given that a feeling is both a physical sensation and a thought process, the goal is to integrate body and mind in a heightened sense of awareness. That is, to understand that body and mind are not separate, and to learn to understand all sensations and their link to our thoughts.
Mindfulness is about developing the ability to not dwell in the past, not obsess about the future, but to concentrate on what is going on right now. But what does mindfulness do and how can it help?
1. Mindfulness and Resilience
A benefit of mindfulness is that it improves resiliency. Practising mindfulness helps you to approach situations positively instead of becoming overwhelmed and stressed out. Instead of getting caught up with the emotion of anger, failure, or envy, we can pause, breath, take a step back and choose not to engage with the emotion and move on. Over time we become less reactive and strong emotions will arise and fall away without being caught up in the story line.
You can carry out this task throughout the day by starting to become aware of having negative emotions you encounter throughout the day. Maybe a lead hasn’t happened, or a client isn’t happy with some of the work you have produced.
Start to identify what feelings and sensations are arising in the body, either with tightness in the chest, clenched jaw, or ruminating thoughts of failure. Once you have located the sensation, close your eyes, and take long deep breaths. Listen to your mind and the thoughts which are racing, know that they are just temporary and will pass. Once you identify and hear the thoughts but choose not to engage with them, they will pass through you more quickly and won’t impact your whole day.
To train in mindfulness you can start by sitting on a park bench or another public area every day for 5 minutes. Practice just looking ahead as people walk past, even if you are tempted to look away, continue to focus on looking ahead. You can focus on what people are wearing, the types of fabrics or colours they are dressed in. Anything that keeps your focus on the present. If you do this daily for a few weeks you can access the effects of the practice on the rest of your life.
“Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
2. Enhanced Task Performance
Mindfulness also helps to improve task performance. This is because it trains your brain to be better at concentrating because each time you notice your mind wandering off, you are intentionally bringing your attention back to the object you are focusing on.
For example, you are at work, you’re receiving loads of email, you’re receiving messages on your phone and you are trying to multitask and do a million things at once. The next time you find yourself doing this, stop, take a deep breath, turn off your email and phone notifications and focus on the task you have in front of you.
3. Goal Setting
With daily mindfulness, you provide yourself with the opportunity for consistent self-reflection. Here, you can thoroughly analyse your past successes and failures. With this clarity, you’ll be able to better plan and tackle your future goals. It can also create a place to pause and reflect. It’s a safe headspace to go to when things don’t go quite right, or if you’re unsure of the next move.
Additionally, you can set better, attainable goals. Developing self-awareness can help you decide which goals are self-appropriate. Maintaining goals that are realistic with your values, beliefs and life circumstances makes them easier to achieve and aligns you with what most matters to your life.
“Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know.” – Pema Chödrön
By promoting mindfulness in your workday, you can identify habits which are helpful or unhelpful. No matter how much we love our jobs, who will look back on life wishing they spent more time responding to messages at midnight?
Recognising our thoughts and anxieties around not responding will help us to unravel the poor habits which keep us stressed out, overwhelmed and unhappy. When we notice we are engaging in these behaviours we can stop, pause, realize what we are doing and choose to put down the phone, walk away and get some rest. This will naturally lead to a more balanced work life as we learn to identify our needs, what would make us happy and start to implement small changes.
20 Ways You Can Become a Powerful Communicator
Some people seem to naturally know how to effectively communicate in a group setting. They can express themselves clearly and listen attentively without dominating the conversation.
Being a powerful communicator is important for several reasons, including building and maintaining relationships, achieving goals, resolving conflicts, improving productivity, leading and influencing others, advancing in your career, expressing yourself more confidently and authentically, and improving your mental and emotional well-being. Effective communication is an essential life skill that can benefit you in all aspects of your life.
1. Listen actively: Practice active listening by giving your full attention to the speaker and responding to what they are saying.
2. Use “I” statements: Speak from your own perspective and avoid placing blame or making accusations.
3. Avoid assumptions: Don’t make assumptions about what the other person is thinking or feeling.
4. Be clear: Express your thoughts and feelings clearly and concisely by getting to the point and avoid using jargon or overly complex language.
5. Show empathy: Show that you understand and care about the other person’s feelings.
6. Offer valuable insights: When speaking in a group, provide a valuable takeaway or actionable item that people can walk away with.
7. Be an active listener: Listen attentively and respond accordingly, incorporating your points into the conversation.
8. Choose the right time: Pick the most opportune time to speak to ensure that you have the group’s attention and can deliver your message without interruption.
9. Be the unifying voice: Step in and unify the group’s thoughts to calm down the discussion and insert your point effectively.
10. Keep responses concise: Keep responses short and to the point to show respect for others’ time.
11. Avoid unnecessary comments: Avoid commenting on everything and only speak when you have something important to say.
12. Cut the fluff: Avoid being long-winded and get straight to the point.
13. Prepare ahead of time: Sort out your points and practice them before speaking in a group.
14. Smile and be positive: Smile and nod along as others speak, to build a positive relationship and be respected when it’s your turn to speak.
15. Take responsibility: Take responsibility for your own actions and feelings.
16. Ask questions: Ask questions to clarify any confusion or misunderstandings.
17. Avoid interrupting: Allow the other person to finish speaking without interruption.
18. Practice active listening: Repeat what the other person said to ensure you have understood correctly.
19. Use your body language too: Use nonverbal cues such as eye contact, facial expressions, and body language to convey your message and build rapport.
20. Be aware of the tone of your voice: it should be calm and assertive, not aggressive or passive.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can improve your communication skills and become a more powerful communicator, which can help you build better relationships, achieve your goals, and lead a more fulfilling life.
I you want to learn how to become more confident in life then you can join my weekly mentorship calls and 40+ online workshops at AweBliss.com so you can master your life with more success.
Dead Men Tell No Tales: How to Navigate a Mutiny as a Leader in 10 Steps
You’re the manager. You’re the supervisor. You’re the leader. But maybe your people don’t see it that way
How to Think Like a CEO for Your Future Success
A blueprint for CEOs to draw a disciplined strategy
Strategic thinking helps CEOs build successful businesses. It helps them establish everlasting enterprises. It is one of the key elements of decision-making. It is different from strategic leadership. It differentiates between leaders from managers. (more…)
How to Focus Your Mind on Your Goals in 2023 Constructively
In this world of distractions due to information overload, it has become a big challenge to focus our minds
In this world of distractions due to information overload, it has become a big challenge to focus our minds on positive aspects and constructive activities. Sometimes we waste our precious time mentally and physically due to distractions arising out of technology. We must understand our priorities and learn how to focus on them religiously. (more…)
Failing is More Important Than Succeeding
51 Legendary Elvis Presley Quotes
Why Entrepreneurial Innovation Matters More Than Ever
20 Ways You Can Become a Powerful Communicator
5 Indicators of Unresolved Attachment Trauma
77 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
40 Rare Motivational and Inspirational Picture Quotes
(Images) 60 Colorful Picture Quotes To Empower Your Life
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
Success Advice4 weeks ago
How to Stand Out as a Leader in 2023 & Beyond
Life4 weeks ago
The 7 Hidden Signs You’re Self-Sabotaging Your Progress
Success Advice3 weeks ago
The Dark Side of Success: How to Identify and Avoid Toxic Leaders
Success Advice3 weeks ago
Why Every Successful Business Needs a Co-founder
Success Advice3 weeks ago
How to Fast Track Your Career for Guaranteed Success
Entrepreneurs2 weeks ago
How to Lose a Team in 10 Days: Are You a True Leader?
Life2 weeks ago
Grit: The Key to Your Ultimate Greatness
Success Advice2 weeks ago
How to Develop a Following of Passionate Fans Even Before Launch