Startups

6 Effective Ways To Become A Well Known Authority In Any Niche

Brian Horn How To Become An Authority Expert In Any Niche

Best-selling author and Authority Expert “Brian Horn” helps entrepreneurs and celebrities leverage their knowledge to gain authority status in their industry. Brian is a pro at amplifying his clients message and shows them how to convert their new audience into high paying customers.

Brian has been profiled and featured on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, Forbes, Advertising Age and Inc Magazine named Brian an “emerging business leader to watch.”

The Wall Street Journal said:
“Horn’s ability to make a client into the Google Authority of their niche is simply remarkable.”

I was fortunate enough to have the chance to interview the main man “Brian Horn” to discuss the many different ways that people can better position themselves to become a force to be reckoned with and an Authority in their niche’.

So let’s read on, as Brian shares his 6 Ways to become a well-known Authority in any field.

6 Ways To Become An Authority

1. Position yourself

Don’t just focus on getting more traffic, or getting more sales. Take it back a few steps. Instead, start positioning yourself as the educator and advocate for the success of your prospects and customers. So now and then, go back to that one statement and ask yourself “Am I educating my prospects and customers? Am I advocating for their successes?”

A great example of an authority would be “Richard Simmons“, he’s been active since the 70’s as a health and fitness personality. You see him online and on TV Infomercials, and sure he is funny and sometimes over the top but let’s look at 2 things that he does to position himself as the authority in his field:

– He is an educator: He puts out daily content in the form of e-mails and messages on his site, videos on a regular basis and he’s always cranking out new DVD’s.

– He is also an advocate: Unlike all the other fitness products that are usually showing fit people working out, Richard will spend a lot of his time sitting at the bed side of people who are so morbidly obese that they can’t get out of bed and he’s crying with them, showing them he understands what they are going through. He tells them that he was also a heavy guy before and he shows them he really cares about them by putting himself in their position.

2. Micro-specialize

You really need to refine what you’re offering. Get super specific about what you are offering, and who you are offering it to. That way you will also have less competition. Instead of offering, let’s say “Marketing Services” where you will be competing against the likes of Seth Godin and everybody else that is really well-known and big in that field, you specify that you, for example, will just help Small Businesses in the Health Care industry with their Facebook promotion. With something that specific, you have very little competition. You can become really good at it, you learn more and more about Facebook, how people in the Health Care industry talk, how they think, what their pains are and what makes them successful.

You have micro specialized yourself to be the expert for their needs.

3. Know that people don’t care how smart you are

A lot of people think they have to be smart to be an authority. People will try to impress others with their knowledge, when most people couldn’t care less about how smart you are. I do a lot of authority building with Dentists and Dr’s and one of the things I tell them is that “people do not care about the diploma on your wall, you need to get that completely out of your head.” Nobody calls the dentist’s office and says “Well…. what does his diploma say?“.

If people have paid a lot of money for education, events and info products, I’m all for that, that’s great but at the end of the day people just want to know whether or not you can help them.

4. Know your type

There are 4 different Authority types that we use to help people position themselves:

1. The Mr. Joe Every Man Type: The “I can do it, you can do it!” type of person.

2. The Cowboy: Someone like Gary Vaynerchuk. A little over the top, calls out, is controversial and likes to curse a lot.

3. The Soldier: A protector type of person. This works great within Financial industries and is represented through a Dave Ramsey or a Suze Orman personality. They appeal to people who have been beaten down by a situation and they are there to protect them. So a Suze Orman or Dave Ramsey type of person would say “The credit card industries are evil, they have ben praying on you but follow this simple advice and you will be protected from those bad guys“.

4. The Wizard: Someone who has a very specific type of knowledge that doesn’t try to push-off on other people or make them just like they are, they try to help others to become a little more like them.

Tony Robbins is like a wizard. Tony doesn’t say “Hey come to my events and you will be just like me“, there’s no way you are going to be like Tony, but you can use his teachings to be a little bit more like him, and a little bit of that rubs off on you to want to be better.

5. Quit buying lots of products

I see people all the time that say “Ok, I’m just going to read one more book, I am going to one more seminar“, just because they get that hit of Dopamine, they think they are doing something better.

It is much more effective to focus on your mindset, focus on getting a good strategy down that is repeatable and that you can expand with instead of buying all the products ‘YOU THINK YOU NEED’ before you can start.

6. Know that people love people with flaws

So we do this in two ways. 1. Is with back stories. So if you are a Mr.Joe Every Man Authority, you would be someone who has lost a lot of weight and is now a fitness advice person who says “Hey, I lost 300 pounds, now I’m fit and you can do it too“, or “Hey I was broke, living in my truck so I learned how to invest in Real Estate and now I’m a millionaire“. Those back stories work great because they show that they were a failure before and it resonates with a lot of people.

The 2nd way is by poking fun at your self and showing a little self-deprecation. Someone who is a great example of this is Oprah Winfrey, with her weight struggles. Oprah does a really good job at this, she talks very openly and honestly about it. She doesn’t try and hide it or tell people not to talk about it. People love that about her.

If you want to hear more great advice by Brian Horn on how to master the art of Authority then tune in to his podcast shows with Jack Mize, an Online Media Marketing Strategists for small business owners and local marketing consultants.

Authority Alchemy - How to Be An Authority In Your Industry

1. Leopoldo

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this web site, because i
    wish for enjoyment, for the reason that this this web page
    conations really pleasant funny information too.

2. My BIG problem in the past has been what Brian mentions in #5,… buying too much.

By keeping up with the most recent product launch promotions, one ends up simply (AND ONLY) chasing the next shiny object, which, in the long run, makes one just spin their wheels, leaving them unproductive and without focus.

Without focus, you end up NOT being able to do #2 – micro-specialize. Sure, you’ll have a smaller audience, but MUCH more responsive and receptive to what your business (goals, messages, promotions, etc.) should be about – serving your clients, making them awesomer!

3. LM Smith

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Great Post. Brian you are setting a tone for Professionals to listen to and take notice. Looking forward to the Movement!

4. David Taylor

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Great tips for building success

5. Kreedos

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Excellent article. I find that exposing ones flaws shows humility and makes you more attractive.

• Brian Horn

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Thanks man! I totally agree. Huge part of being relatable is opening talking about your flaws.

6. victor

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Finding your niche can sometimes be hard to see and feel, as they say you can see the forest but not the trees. Many people don’t like being seen when we get that pat on the back specially in Australia. But the majority of us secretly inside want to be recognized by our peers. this is a hurdle we have to jump over.

• Brian Horn

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I’m from Texas, the Australia of the US. 🙂 Same way here Victor.

The bigger issue is people not believing they are worthy or every ready to be seen as a top expert.

But once they realize that they ARE ready…right now, and then hit that level…they see its not so mysterious and unattainable.

7. Naomi@business start ups

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Hi Brian,

Great post. It’s given me a few amazing ideas.

I really liked “#6 Know that people love people with flaws”

For me, It’s important I connect with my customers on a personal level. I want them to be able to relate to me. I don’t want them feeling intimidated and therefore i’m unapproachable.

After all, we were all beginnings at some point.

naomi

• Brian Horn

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Thanks Naomi! Personal connections are the most important.

8. Ani

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Just in time, as I am making my first steps in becoming online entrepreneur 🙂

• Brian Horn

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Good to hear Ani!

Create it and do it. Best thing in the world…

9. Stewart A. Alexander

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Brian, you’re an ambassador for the authority marketing industry, it’s great being part of the same movement. Really good interview, filled with fundamental principles that will never age.

Thank you.

• Brian Horn

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Glad to have you on board Stewart. You’re doing it right.

10. james simwanza

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:23 am

wonderful

11. Donna

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I don’t think this really applies to women. Women are judged differently than men are.

• Brian Horn

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:21 am

There are a lot of women entrepreneurs, leaders and top experts.

While, unfortunately, many times women are judged differently than men…these methods work for both genders.

• James

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:15 am

Thats a pretty weak excuse and you did not Favors for all females writing this.
      BTW My Director is a female and writes for many top tier websites and magazines and would never settle for that excuse.

Maybe you should read some perspective articles.

All the best.

12. Emily Filloramo

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Great reminders in this post. Thank you for reinforcing #2 on micro-specialize. I have found that to be very helpful in getting my message across.

Combined with #6 of exposing my flaws and my old “baggage” and how I went from point A to point B helps people to understand why I do what I do.

• Brian Horn

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:18 am

Thanks Emily!

Microspecialization has been a key for me too.

…and I love when people expose their old baggage and tell the story of their rise. Good stuff.