J.K. Rowling is best known for creating a literary empire from her Harry Potter series. From being a poor, single mother writing her original concept on a napkin in a coffee show – to imagining some of the most popular and recognizable characters & stories the world has ever seen. Even after getting rejected by dozens of publishers, Rowling persisted. She is a prime example of how working hard, patience, following your passions can lead to massive success. Rowling continues to be an advocate for world literacy, freedom, and following your dreams.
Here are 37 of J.K. Rowling’s Best Quotes:
1. “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” – J.K. Rowling
2. “I was set free because my greatest fear had been realized, and I still had a daughter who I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became a solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.” – J.K. Rowling
3. “The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and must therefore be treated with great caution.” – J.K. Rowling
4. “Failure is not fun. It can be awful. But living so cautiously that you never fail is worse.” – J.K. Rowling
5. “Talent and intelligence never yet inoculated anyone against the caprice of the fates.” – J.K. Rowling
6. “You are the true master of death, because the true master does not seek to run away from Death. He accepts that he must die, and understands that there are far, far worse things in the living world than dying.” – J.K. Rowling
7. “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” – J.K. Rowling
8. “It is our choices…that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – J.K. Rowling
9. “You sort of start thinking anything is possible if you’ve got enough nerve.” – J.K. Rowling
10. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends” – J.K. Rowling
11. “If someone asked for my recipe for happiness, step one would be finding out what you love doing the most in the world and step two would be finding someone to pay you to do it.” – J.K. Rowling
12. “We can choose. Things go largely like you want them to go. You control your own life. Your own will is extremely powerful.” – J.K. Rowling
13. “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.” – J.K. Rowling
14. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” – J.K. Rowling
15. “We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” – J.K. Rowling
16. “People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” – J.K. Rowling
17. “Failure means a stripping away of the inessential.” – J.K. Rowling
18. “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – J.K. Rowling
19. “As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.” – J.K. Rowling
20. “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” – J.K. Rowling
21. “Never be ashamed! There’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth bothering with.” – J.K. Rowling
22. “Is ‘fat’ really the worse thing a human being can be? Is ‘fat’ worse than ‘vindictive’, ‘jealous’, ‘shallow’, ‘vain’, ‘boring’, or ‘cruel’? Not to me.” – J.K. Rowling
23. “Whatever money you might have, self-worth really lies in finding out what you do best.” – J.K. Rowling
24. “You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity.” – J.K. Rowling
25. “We have to choose between what is right, and what is easy.” – J.K. Rowling
26. “Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.” – J.K. Rowling
27. “The most important thing is to read as much as you can, life I did. It will give you an understanding of what makes good writing and it will enlarge your vocabulary.” – J.K. Rowling
28. “We do not need magic to transform our world. We carry all of the power we need inside ourselves already.” – J.K. Rowling
29. “Failure is so important. We speak about success all the time. It is the ability to resist failure or use failure that often leads to greater success. I’ve met people who don’t want to try for fear of failing.” – J.K. Rowling
30. “You’ve got to work. It’s about structure. Its about discipline. It’s all these deadly things that your schoolteacher told you you needed…you need it.” – J.K. Rowling
31. “I think you have a moral responsibility when you’ve been given far more than you need, to do wise things with it and give intelligently.” – J.K. Rowling
32. “What’s coming will come and we’ll just have to meet it when it does.” – J.K. Rowling
33. “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.” – J.K. Rowling
34. “I would like to be remembered as someone who did the best she could with the talent she had.” – J.K. Rowling
35. “Life is difficult, and complicated, and beyond anyone’s total control, and the humility to know that will enable you to survive is vicissitudes.” – J.K. Rowling
36. “The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive.” – J.K. Rowling
37. “The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.” – J.K. Rowling
Which quote inspired you the most? Comment below!
55 of the Best Johnny Depp Quotes to Inspire You Today
Johnny Depp, famous for his portrayal of strange and eccentric characters, is undoubtedly one of the most popular stars in Hollywood. But his real life has also been as strange as anything. Johnny Depp has faced many hardships starting from his teenage years. Before he became a big thing in Hollywood, he used to make ends meet by selling pens and having odd end jobs. So, yes, he has had his fair share of struggles. But today, he is rated as one of the most successful actors in Hollywood. (more…)
54 Joe Rogan Quotes That Will Motivate You to Greatness
Joe Rogan is a stand-up comedian, a figure in the MMA space, and former host of Fear Factor. But Rogan is more recognized his famous podcast The Joe Rogan Experience which is at the top of many iTunes charts. Each week, Joe Rogan sits down with a public figure to have a raw conversation to discuss their story, passions, and life in general. These people range from actors & scientists, to controversial figures in the news. Rogan is well known for dropping knowledge bombs in his show and is respected & looked up to by people in a variety of spaces as a motivational & inspirational figure. (more…)
27 Cristiano Ronaldo Quotes That Will Sow the Seeds of Success in Your Life
Cristiano Ronaldo is inarguably, one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen. He is currently at the top of his game but his rise to prominence was far from ease. The Portuguese star has had his fair share of struggles but his thirst for perfection kept him going and made him the greatest of all time. (more…)
6 Inspiring Quotes From Lucille Ball That Will Motivate You to Stand Out and Reach for the Stars
The original “Queen of Comedy” Lucille “Lucy” Ball, continues to be an icon of fiery sass and humor for every generation. Her timeless comedic talent still sets the standard for those desiring to follow in her celebrated entertainment footsteps.
Here are six inspiring quotes from her that will motivate you to stand out from the crowd and never give up on your dreams:
1. “One of the things I learned the hard way, was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
In business and our personal lives, we are bombarded daily by outward criticism and inward self-doubt. In order to realise the success we strive for and attain the goals we hope to achieve, it’s important to practice a strong positive outlook.
Although Ball was known for being an inherently shy girl, when she was 15 years old, she convinced her mom to allow her to attend New York Drama School. The administrator of the school, unable to see the talent hidden behind the shyness, wrote to her mother telling her not to “waste her money and the school’s time with this shy, awkward young lady.”
Refusing to be deterred by the shortsighted criticism, Ball dug in her heels, overcame her shyness, and went on to become the talented comedic actress and icon we know and love today. Just imagine how unfortunate it would have been if she had taken the negative criticism to heart and decided to give up her passion.
2. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work—and realising what is opportunity and what isn’t.”
Today, we are very much conditioned to expect instant gratification in all areas of life. It’s important to remember, however, that true personal and professional success is achieved through tenacity and hard work. Very seldom does “luck” play a substantial role in building a solid and promising future.
Few people may realise that beyond the laughter and crazy shenanigans that Ball is so well known for, she was a trailblazing businesswoman who mapped out her professional path and keenly took advantage of opportunities that came her way.
Behind the scenes, she was co-creator, owner, and partner of Desilu Productions with her husband, Desi Arnaz. I Love Lucy was the first real sitcom developed by a husband and wife team, and under Desilu Studios, the show pioneered the multi-camera shot and filmed in front of a live audience—something no one else was doing at the time.
Being a female owner of a film production company in the 1960s was unprecedented. But, Ball didn’t stop there. Instead, she would eventually buy out Desi and become the first female CEO of a major television and movie production company. Her hard work and perseverance created a legacy to last for generations.
3. “I’d rather regret the things I have done than the things that I haven’t.”
Regrets are a fact of life both personally and professionally. However, most of us would probably admit that we learned some valuable things about ourselves from past mistakes and mishaps. Most would agree that our biggest regrets are related to the opportunities and experiences that we didn’t seize when we had the chance.
Ball’s career in the entertainment world was full of various ups and downs that included many B movies and lackluster performances. However, she continued to forge ahead learning from each and every experience. She was forty years old when she finally hit her stride and began her journey with I Love Lucy. Ball didn’t let the fact that Hollywood considered her to be “old” to stop her from fulfilling her dreams.
Instead of letting the long road of disappointments and closed doors discourage her, Ball refused to give up and found a way to create her own destiny and achieve the success that she had worked so hard for.
4. “I dyed my hair this crazy red to bid for attention. It has become a trademark, and I’ve got to keep it this way.”
We live in a culture where most of us just want to fit in. There is a pressure to conform to a set of expectations in both our professional and personal lives. However, it’s often when we take a risk to set ourselves apart, that doors of opportunities and experiences open for us.
For example, Ball’s natural hair colour was a light to medium brown with reddish tones. Early in her career, she bleached it blonde in hopes of being able to compete with the plethora of bombshell blondes of the era. She eventually realised, however, she needed to stand out, not blend in!
In a past interview, Ball is quoted stating, “Not being a beauty, I hated any part in a picture which depended on beauty. I resented work where looks were that important. There are so many glamour girls that I felt it was silly for me to try to compete with them.”
Dyeing her natural brown hair the colour red was one of the greatest risks Ball took early in her career, but it became one of the late comedian’s most beautiful physical features that helped her stand out and succeed in Hollywood. She shared, “I had to learn to concentrate on developing my personality—to have an individual approach. The way you feel about yourself has a lot to do with the impression you make.”
5. “The more things you do, the more you can do.”
We should never stop striving to learn new skills and grow in knowledge. Taking the steps to constantly evolve in our understanding of our professional and personal life—as well as the world around us—helps build a firm foundation for our present and future.
Ball was a true pioneer for the women of her time. She was not afraid to tackle new things or learn more about the production and business side of her career even though she was encroaching on a man’s world at the time. She knew that any knowledge she gained about the entertainment business would help ensure her future success.
For example, behind the scenes, Ball was an integral part of the business operations of Desilu Productions. She was one of the final voices in all decisions made regarding the show and the production company. And it didn’t stop there. In front of the camera, she portrayed a determined woman diligently trying to work outside of the home in various careers while still tackling the responsibilities of being a housewife and a mother. To put it simply, she just wasn’t scared to try something new.
It’s important to not let fear of failure, or the unknown, deter us from taking chances to break the mould and step out of our comfort zone. The possibilities for growth, success, and achievement are endless.
6. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
It’s quite profound how much we can learn from the fortitude and spunk exuded from Lucille Ball, the “Queen of Comedy.” As we’ve seen through these quotes, Ball refused to let others dictate who she would become or what she would achieve. Instead, she had a firm grasp on her own self-worth and was determined to forge ahead to fulfill her dreams.
She demonstrated that self-confidence and inner strength are vital to professional and personal success—a lesson that we would all be wise to remember.
Which one of the above Lucille Ball quotes was your favorite and why? Share your thoughts with us below!
8 Life Changing Benefits of Journaling Daily
5 Quick Ways to Combat Stress as an Entrepreneur
5 Effective Tricks Successful Entrepreneurs Use in Their Business Negotiations
Here’s What You Should Do When You’re Overloaded With Work
3 Ways You Can Help Your Children Develop Good Learning Habits
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
(Images) 52 Motivational Picture Quotes For An Epic Year Of Success
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
(Images) 56 Inspirational Picture Quotes That Will Motivate Your Mind, Body & Soul
3 Prince EA Videos To Change Humanities Path To Greatness
(Video) What Is Success? An Entrepreneurial Story To Inspire You
(Inspirational Video) What If Today You Knew You Were Going To Take Your Last Breath?
How To Make Enough Money From A Blog To Quit Your Job – Kate McKibbin
How Finding Your Passion And Becoming An Entrepreneur Can Lead To Happiness – Chiquita Searle
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
10 Things You Can Start Doing Today to Succeed With ZERO Talent
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
7 Ways to Make Yourself Better at Managing Your Money
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
The Daily Routines of 35 Wildly Successful Women Throughout History
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
A Salesman’s Guide to Everyday Conversation With Strangers
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
4 Things You Should Do if Your Drive for Success is Taking a Toll on Your Mental Health
- Motivation3 weeks ago
How Positive Self-Talk Boosts Motivation and Productivity
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
Embrace a Growth Mindset to Achieve an Infinite Amount of Success
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
5 Key Steps to Becoming a Successful Blogger