25 Quotes That Will Help You Through Tough Times

quotes that will help you through the tough times

I have compiled 25 of my favorite tough times quotes that I find has helped me through tough times over the years. Sometimes we need a few pointers on inner strength, this in turn makes us realize that we aren’t the only ones who have gone through hard times, that no ones an exception and that we can get through it with a little bit of positive hope and a handful of lines for guidance.

Enjoy! And Good Luck with overcoming your obstacles and facing hard times.

Tough Times Quotes:

“Pain is your friend; it is your alie. Pain reminds you to finish the job and get the hell home. Pain tells you when you have been seriously wounded. And you know what the best thing about pain is? It tells you you’re not dead yet!” – G.I Jane

Tough times never last, but tough people do.  – Robert H Schuller

“What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

The difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them. – Unknown

A problem is a chance for you to do your best. – Duke Ellington

Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don’t pray when it rains if you don’t pray when the sun shines.  –Leroy Satchel Paige

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders. – Jewish Proverb

Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity is a greater. Possession pampers the mind; privation trains and strengthens it.  – William Hazlitt

When things are bad, we take comfort in the thought that they could always get worse. And when they are, we find hope in the thought that things are so bad they have to get better. – Malcolm S Forbes

If you don’t like something change it; if you can’t change it, change the way you think about it. – Mary Engelbreit

“If you aren’t in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” – Unknown

I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.  – Thomas Paine

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

The bravest sight in the world is to see a great man struggling against adversity.  –Seneca

One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity. – Albert Schweitzer

Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Adversity is a fact of life. It can’t be controlled. What we can control is how we react to it.  – Unknown

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford

The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is. – Charles M Schwab

The true test of a person character is how they stand during test of adversity – Unknown

“Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” – Michael Jordan

He knows not his own strength who hath not met adversity. – William Samuel Johnson

Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

I learned there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead, others come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me. – Dr. Seuss

In times of great stress or adversity, it’s always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive. – Lee Iacocca

1. sumit bhujabal

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

thanks…Joel…its really encouraging….

2. Rose

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:25 am

Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measures, when things get tough, remember Faith doesn’t get you around the trouble, it gets you through it, no one has ever been given more challengers than they can handle, all the answers lies within oneself. It’s time to get inner searching and find let positivity fill you to overcome whatever storms you may face.

3. victor

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:40 pm

great job guys realy inspering

4. mat mosh

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:15 pm

fr this is grt

5. Kanyike Bat

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:24 am

thanks, am viewing success

6. L

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Seek and you shall find? I was incredibly stressed, I need some words to get me out of an emotional hole. I kept looking until something hit home. This list is wonderful, thank you for posting…it changed my perspective, I feel much better. Thumbs wayyyyy up. 🙂

7. khaled bimbo

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Life is the hardest school as you never know what level of class you are in what exam you will have next and you can’t cheat because nobody else will have the same questions

• Jha

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I agree.

8. Honey Thein

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:54 am

Thx much and I will also contribute my experiences sooner or later.

9. Steve Katkov

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Teddy Roosevelt has one or two that could be on this list.

10. Faruq Umar

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Motivational indeed. Keep twitting

11. amy

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:30 am

I am going through a separation/pending divorce. This is inspiring. Been through a lot

12. Steve

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure… than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

13. Ayush

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:25 am

After a Good phase occurrence of the bad phase is sure and vice versa.

14. Lx

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:27 pm

The “if you dont get in over your head…” quote is T.S. Eliot

15. Ryan Bollenbach

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Great article, just what I need to kick off this Monday morning!

– Michael Jordan

Thanks!

• Lhein

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:50 pm

i agree:)

16. Hailey

May 17, 2012 at 9:33 pm

These quotes really helped comfort my friend, her mom passed away today and she is only 12. But they helped alot shes not crying rote now(:

17. Rachael

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Amazing quotes, THANK YOU!! Just what you need when you’re feeling swamped in every way, shape and form!

18. Dressy Girl K

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

Love these quotes, really motivates 🙂
    thanks for sharing…

19. Deeone

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Hey Joel… thanks for the follow on Twitter bud. Just wanted to come through and have a look around. I love the material. I really enjoy connecting with others who possess that fire and drive; along with the never can get enough ‘positive energy’. Glad to be connected to you my friend. Wishing you all the best in your endeavors. Your friend in Atlanta,

Deeone

Joel

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:37 am

No problems Dee, Nice to see you are feeling my site. Thanks for swinging through!!

20. Megan

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:33 am

the first quote is from G.I. Jane.

Joel

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:39 am

You’re right. Thank you Megan!

• tino

May 1, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Great stuff Joel! Thank you.

• The Strongest Karate

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I never saw the film but from the context I think the line is “ally” not “alie”, too.