We live in an age of overwhelming information. The world is full of people supplying it and others who are seeking it. People everywhere are desperate for solutions and fresh insight. Those people who are able to provide them with the strongest, freshest, most relevant, and even most radical ideas, practically hold the keys to success. The individuals with this level of influence are the thought leaders.
If you are seeking to be more influential in your industry, the good news is that you don’t have to be born a thought leader—you can become one. So how do YOU rise above the noise and reach that level of influence?
In order to propel yourself forward as a thought leader, you NEED to follow these three steps:
Step 1 – Define Your Mission
Like a soldier in battle, your mission is THE ONE THING that you are responsible for fulfilling at all costs. To be a thought leader, you must have focus on what your goal is—where you are making your thought influence and where you are leading people.
Defining your mission does three things:
- It declares to yourself what you are doing and how you are doing it so that you can move forward confidently. It provides a target to help you be as focused and effective as possible. It channels all your effort and creates a positive flow of creative energy.
- A mission helps guarantee success by removing distraction. A thought leader knows that if anything distracts them from their stated mission they will lose their effectiveness as an influencer. A mission helps them objectively judge if something is helpful or not toward achieving that goal of dominant influence in a particular area.
- Missions that are well-defined let your followers easily place their trust in you. When somebody doesn’t know what they are doing or where they are leading people, they lose credibility. No one wants to follow someone who appears to be going nowhere.
As an example, to someone who might want to be a thought leader in the world of SEO (Search Engine Optimization), they might define a mission similar to this: “My mission is to help people understand the value of SEO to their organizations and provide a clear roadmap for implementing it effectively.”
Such a statement will focus you the influencer and allow your followers to easily buy into your leadership.
“Outstanding people have one thing in common: An absolute sense of mission.” – Zig Ziglar
Step 2 – Determine Your Message
If your mission is how you are focused on helping people, your message is what you are going to tell them to get their attention.
Your message will consist of the following:
- It includes your one core premise, or thesis; the singular idea that you believe everyone needs to know. This becomes your rallying cry.
- A powerful message will include your personal story so people can see that you are credible to speak on the subject as well as to be empathetic to their concerns. It lets people know that you understand their struggle as well as have a solution for them. Your message helps you be relatable.
- Your message should ideally be thought-provoking to bring about an entirely new perspective as well as include a sense of urgency that reveals the consequences for continuing in the same old patterns of looking at things.
Your message is your gospel of hope and personal testimony that it works. With it, you awaken people to their need or confirm to them that you understand and are the best person to help them through their struggle and find salvation.
The SEO thought leader might have a message something like this: “SEO is constantly changing and every organization must embrace an aggressive stance for it or succumb to those organizations who will. I have the keys to help you effectively implement the SEO plan you need to be successful.”
They would then follow by sharing their personal story of how they came to be so convicted regarding this stance and how they implemented it with great success.
“I have a message to give to the world, and I shall not be thwarted.” – Elizabeth Kenny
Step 3 – Develop Your Method
Your method is the structured system that you use to help your people understand and implement your message. Your method doesn’t have to be long or complex—the strongest methods are simple and easily memorable. An ideal method will have three to seven action points to follow.
Our SEO thought leader’s method will follow a very simple format such as,“Step One—Define your target audience’s greatest needs, Step Two—Create an SEO plan around the keywords they search for,etc.”
Until they’ve covered all of the steps necessary to realize the solution to their follower’s problems, each step is where their level of expertise will shine through with great insight backed by compelling evidence.
Although this format might sound overly-simplified, there aren’t a lot of influential thought leaders out there precisely because most people can’t distill a plan down to this degree and bring the amount of clarity necessary for it to be effective.
Great thought leaders overlay their action points by taking their thought-followers on a journey that looks very similar to this:
- Open their eyes to see how things have always been,
- Show them what that has got them,
- Reveal and prove that there is another way to think about that area (your way), and
- Show them how powerful the new way can be.
Who are your favorite thought leaders? Please comment below!
How To Build a Six Figure Content Platform
There’s never been a better time to get started on your entrepreneurial dream, and most can start a business or launch a platform in 24 hours or less. With virtually free distribution in our pockets, attracting and building an audience has never been easier. But with great freedom and unlimited options comes great responsibility: with all the choices available to you, which do you pick? Most people get stuck at this point, sliding into paralysis by analysis with endless options. (more…)
18 Must Read Business Books for Emerging Entrepreneurs and Startups
Reading is both relaxation and training for the mind. Who reads, dives into another world. Learning, entertaining and breaking out of everyday life for a short moment. One could go even so far as to say reading is the second most beautiful thing in the world! Whether it is non-fiction or a novel of all the world’s man has created, the book is the most powerful tool. That is also, why we wanted to find out which business book you should undertake in the new year. (more…)
How to Become a Solopreneur and Lead an Independent Life
Solopreneur refers to an individual who sets up and runs a business on their own. Now, who doesn’t want to start their own business? I am pretty sure that most of you at some point in your life have thought about building your own dreams. (more…)
What Entrepreneurs Need to Learn From the Fyre Festival Disaster
By now, you’ve undoubtedly heard of the infamous Fyre Festival. This 2017 music festival turned disaster/international laughing stock has re-entered the public eye due to documentaries released by both Netflix and Hulu that detailed precisely what went down. If you haven’t watched either doc, let’s just say it’s somehow much worse than we all initially thought. (more…)
How to Properly Manage Your Time So You Can Fit More Into Your Day
Why You Need to Push Yourself and Aim High in Everything You Do
How Mindfulness Can Improve Your Productivity in 3 Easy Steps
55 Inspirational Quotes That Will Change Your Life
72 Positive Thinking Quotes For More Inner Strength & Growth
30 Famous Quotes That Will Inspire Success In You
- Quotes4 weeks ago
90 Success Quotes You Should Have Tattooed On Your Body!
- Quotes4 weeks ago
31 Highly Successful Women Share Their Most Powerful Quotes
- Quotes4 weeks ago
42 Les Brown Quotes That Will Intensify Your Motivation
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
5 Must Read Books That Will Skyrocket Your Productivity
- Success Advice3 weeks ago
The 2 Behaviors That Will Guarantee Your Success
- Entrepreneurs4 weeks ago
An Entrepreneur’s 7 Secrets to Owning Multiple Enterprises
- Success Advice4 weeks ago
3 Lessons From a Race Car Driver: How to Prepare When There’s No Time to Practice
- Life3 weeks ago
5 Reasons Why You Aren’t Going to Reach Your Goals This Year