7 Reasons Why Women Make Great Entrepreneurs

women-entrepreneurs

Only one in four companies in the US are run by women. Does this mean that women aren’t cut out for the suits, ties and big decisions? This subject has been debatable for a long time so we are are here to clear the scene with 7 cold hard facts as to why women make great entrepreneurs.

We can see this comment section turning into battle of the sexes as we type this, haha. Enjoy this post and dont forget to chip in your 2 cents worth.

Do Women Make Great Entrepreneurs? Read On:

1. Women possess strong communication skills and social intelligence. The digital economy requires these skills, and women enjoy a slight edge over their male counterparts (according to numerous studies). A stronger network means they will be better resourced throughout the life of the venture. By leveraging their connections, they will have to reinvent the wheel less and learn fewer lessons the hard way.

2. Female-owned companies tend to offer family & friendly benefits. These include such perks as job sharing, parental leave and telecommuting. They argue that their more worker-friendly policies boost morale and lead to less turnover, less absenteeism and higher productivity.

3. Women also make good listeners. One study found that the collective intelligence of a group rose if the group included more women. They have open minds. They’re not autocratic.”

4. Women start companies to better balance their work and family lives. Wealth is not their primary focus, so most remain smaller. But there are exceptions, like Martha Stewart (Omnimedia), Ruth Furtel (Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse), and Lillian Vernon, which make big money.

5. Women collaborate. Women have worked well together since the earliest female enterprises, whether dividing grains in the village or working in quilting bees. Even some of today’s cultural stereotypes have legs, for instance, women’s joint trips to the restroom!

6. Female owners are more likely to have positive revenues. They prefer lower risk opportunities, and are willing to settle for lower returns. Some women feel that pushing profits is “not polite.” More women entrepreneurs are single person businesses, while men tend to have more employees. Researchers have begun focusing on the relationship between testosterone and excessive risk, thus evaluating whether groups of men spur each other toward reckless decisions.

7. Females aren’t afraid to ask for help. Many men (not all) have difficulty asking for help when it comes to something like their very own business. Pride can sometimes get in the way. But most women don’t have a problem admitting that they’re not sure how to accomplish a certain task or what needs to be done next in the building-a-business game. This can sometimes provide an advantage in a well-spring of knowledge from sources that help ground their business more quickly.

If you haven’t already, make sure you checkout “The 7 Reasons Why Men Make Great Entrepreneurs

Joel Brown is the CEO and Founder of Addicted2Success.com. With a long time passion for Entrepreneurship, Self development & Success, Joel started his website with the intention of educating and inspiring likeminded people all over the world to always strive for success no matter what their circumstances. Follow Joel Brown on Twitter or keep upto date with him on Facebook:Facebook.com/JoelBrownA2S

1. Name

November 27, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Well actually women and men won’t make great entrepreneurs, as all these facts are based on very broad generalizations.

Gender has nothing to do with it, it’s all up to the person themselves – just because you are this gender or that gender won’t make a difference. I’ve seen men and women fail, and have also seen men and women succeed.

Person not gender.

• Krystle

January 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I agree. Although it is entertaining to read why women would be good for business and men are good in certain aspects as well, it is solely on the individual, how determined, driven, focused they are and how they provide their services to the world. But it is exciting, motivating, and inspiring to see more women being empowered and making huge strides in our world today! Girl Power!:P

2. Emma

November 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I appreciate how this recognizes the differences between men and women – I’m all for gender equality, but don’t like it how the workforce tries to say men/women can do the exact same things the exact same way. If we could, that’d be boring, and we’d miss a great deal of the other gender’s input.

3. Jill Salzman

November 6, 2012 at 7:37 pm

In addition to these fantastic points, may I introduce you to my TEDx talk on “Why Moms Make The Best Entrepreneurs”?

I talk a lot about it since I meet hundreds upon hundreds of mom entrepreneurs regularly!

• Steph

October 9, 2013 at 12:02 am

Oh. My. Gosh.

I am in love with this video and am SO excited to have found it. Thank you from one (new) mom entrepreneur to another.

4. Alex Westergaard

November 3, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I have seen more women who are afraid to ask about help, because they are afraid of people see them as stupid.. :/

• Joseph D. Shiller

November 3, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Alex, not sure the “more women” you are basing your conclusion on is a fair representation of all women. I tend to think some men are living in fear as well.

5. Ijeoma

October 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm

A good reminder that women need to start their own ventures and be in the boardroom making decisions!

6. Cheryl Rickman

August 21, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Completely agree. Empathy, sharing, a strong ability to collaborate and communicate and help others is at the heart of a community of women I’m proud to be a part of. I started a little group on Facebook called WiBBLE: Women in Business – Brilliant Local Entrepreneurs which grew from 20 to 300 members within a week. The collaboration, advice, help, generosity, caring and sharing that has gone on from the outset has been nothing short of inspirational and amazing. Consequently, I’m launching WiBBLE.us as a website to harness that power and empower self-employed women to really make an impact – together, united.

• Madeleine Zember

September 5, 2012 at 2:20 am

I loved your article. As in all fields, more and more women are getting into creating their own businesses. I find that many men are respecting women and ask for their advice. It will be great when we see men and women collaborating in businesses and each gender brings in its contribution.

7. Lola

August 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Good inspiration for women who are yet to tap into their God given values and inner strength. Any woman still not sure she wants to go into entrepreneurship should read this.

8. Samantha

August 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm

So refreshing to hear that we as women can be just as successful and productive as our male counterparts. We are nurturers by nature and we always seem to know what will work best. Great information and very inspiring.

9. Rebecca

July 17, 2012 at 9:30 am

I love the woman power going on. Let us all man and women step into our feminine and masculine power to be the best we can be! So inspiring to be living right now

10. Jennifer

July 17, 2012 at 2:45 am

Great article! I can definitely see what women can be great entrepreneurs based on what you said! Overall, I’ve always felt like women have a greater drive for “harmony” and “community” rather than to really compete for more money or “be better” than others in the field as men more often tend to (and I’m considering that by looking at our past history in how businesses are run, which were male-dominant). With women’s drive for social networking and a sense of community I feel can definitely create a balanced economies and, ultimately, societies overall.

I must say, it’s such a inspiring and uplifting shift to see!! :-)

• Dan

January 12, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I just wish this whole debate would just go away. I know brilliant men and women business owners and to keep bringing up this broad general studies just generates a divide between men and women! People are people and gender is completely irrelevant to whether you succeed or not. Stop these studies now! We all have the potential to succeed! I have seen terrible women managers as well as men managers! Please start posting things that are useful not dividing! Give me strength!

• Kristina

July 20, 2013 at 10:19 pm

First step- shatter glass ceiling that is as prevelant today as decades ago. Second step- this whole debate will go away.

• Vimla Gungapersad

January 15, 2013 at 12:03 pm

great article inspirationally motivating to all business women… u can succeed.

11. Muthuri Kinyamu

June 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm

This is a great read. I love it…I agree with you. Secondly women also make good employees. In the team I have at Social Edge Africa the ladies are more productive, keen on details , coachable & very thorough.

12. ed

June 26, 2012 at 1:27 pm

True….I have worked with one and they really are awesome;-)

13. Kathy Fyler

June 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

Great article! I have been an entrepreneur for 15 years and own a networking group for women. I really resonate with #5 – Women Collaborate. I believe this works well for women in business. Instead of competing with someone in their field, they find a way to work together for a win/win situation.

14. Amina Ibrahim

June 20, 2012 at 11:38 am

I love your article. It makes me feel that I can achieve more in life! Thanks for the boost and the added info.

15. Joseph D. Shiller

April 24, 2012 at 4:56 am

You do seem to have your finger on the pulse of the feminine mystic.

16. Terrence J White

April 2, 2012 at 4:37 am

I would def say that the balance of men and women have leaned to women being more dominant in graduation from college and now owning businesses and I would have to credit this to the men who lack diligence of following through.

17. emma

November 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm

You’re spot on Francine. Women are often threatened by other women and instead of working together they often work AGAINST each other. We need to realise that we are all working towards a common goal and that we would get there a whole lot faster if we did it together.

18. Francine Manilow

November 21, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Once women want to assist and help other women in business, there will be tremendous growth within the female ranks. Recently I went to a relocation council meeting and I saw how so many of the men warmly greeted each other. They like working with each other. Women, for the most part, have not gotten there yet.

19. Marnie

November 21, 2011 at 4:13 am

Great post! I am a woman entrepreneur and I agree with your points on women being able to ask for help and networking well due to social intelligence.

20. momo

November 20, 2011 at 2:17 am

i disagree are you kidding me,im waiting to see a multibillionaire(selfmade)of course woman,who founded her own company and has more than 10 billions eheheh im not sexist by the way,just than the numbers dont lie

• Yolanda

November 30, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Did you read the article?

- “Wealth is not their primary focus, so most remain smaller”
      -”They prefer lower risk opportunities, and are willing to settle for lower returns”

It is not possible to run a huge multi-national and spend lots of quality time with your loved ones. The point is women actively choose more of a work/life balance (in general). The bigger the company, the less possible that is. The most successful people have to make sacrifices in order to achieve that success, whether in terms of relationships, personal time etc.

• jerry

December 8, 2011 at 3:53 am

Yolanda has never heard of Oprah. duh

• jerry

December 8, 2011 at 3:55 am

Apologies, I meant – momo!