Richard Branson’s 7 Rules To Live By For The Ultimate Success

richard-branson-ultimate-success-advice

The CEO of “Virgin”, Sir Richard Branson owns over four hundred companies and is estimated to be worth US$4.2 billion dollars. Now in his sixties, Branson’s business ventures range from Airlines, Formula One, Cosmetics and Space Exploration just to name a few.

It’s plain to see that Richard Branson knows a thing or two about achieving the ultimate success. So we have decided to share what can be learned from this widely successful, charismatic and respected entrepreneur.

Richard Branson’s 7 Success Tips To Live By

Saying “Yes!” is Fun

What makes Sir Richard Branson unique is that he is entertaining. He often defies conventional wisdom, pushes the envelope, and says, “Yes” more than he says, “No”.

One of Branson’s many books is entitled, Screw It, Let’s Do It: Lessons in Life and Business. This flamboyant attitude towards business is a primary reason he has become a corporate iconoclast and continues to amaze, and overall – create value and make money.

If You Are Going to Dream, Dream Big!

For a man who started out with his own local newspaper and record store to an airline and telecommunications magnet, Richard Branson knows how to dream big. He has built eight billion-dollar companies and there are no signs of slowing down. Branson’s grandest project that is blowing everyone’s minds is Virgin Galactic, a ship for suborbital space travel.

In addition to space travel, Branson continues to dream big with his Virgin Oceanic project which offers deep sea travel. It is in hopes that people can soon see the lowest trenches of the oceans. It’s hard to think one can dream much bigger than that.

Having Fun is Fun

Richard Branson gets asked what the secret to his success is regularly. He replies that he has no secret. He just works hard, works smart, and above all has fun doing it.

“Have Fun, Work Hard and Money Will Come” – Sir Richard Branson
“When it’s Not Fun, Move On” – Sir Richard Branson

Branson states that as soon as he stops having fun on a project, it’s time to move on. A life is too short to be unhappy.

Always Take Risks – Calculated Ones

It seems Richard Branson’s lifestyle can be construed as irresponsible and brash. Branson is highly intelligent and while pushing the envelope, the risks he takes are always scrutinized before committing.

While Branson likes saying, “Yes”, his decisions always come with extreme due diligence which is standard in any business venture or acquisition, especially in the numbers Branson is known for dealing. One of Branson’s mottos has always been, “Be bold. Don’t gamble.”

Live for the Moment

Live for the moment. It’s a cliché however resoundingly applicable and true. Often aspiring entrepreneurs forget to live and enjoy the things life offers them. Because hard work and long hours are a part of entrepreneurship, these people need to live for the moment and enjoy the experiences life throws at them.

Branson says that even dedicating 80 hours a week to a business still allows for a few hours of fun. Don’t forget, people can have fun at work too.
Branson encourages people to still have goals outside business. In 1997, Branson participated in a race around the world in a hot-air balloon. He says people still need to live their lives as best as possible.

Always Give Respect

Respect in business was an attribute Richard Branson learned early in his career.

In his first meetings with Japanese businessmen in the early 80s, Branson was amazed at the politeness and the respect they gave young Branson despite his shaggy-sweater jean-wearing appearance. The Japanese taught Richard to always treat everyone in your business with respect, not just those that you need to impress. Someday you could be doing business with them.

Give Back

Another commonly used cliché is that money is the root of all evil. Unlike living for the moment, this does not have to be true. Many of the largest charity organizations were founded by very successful entrepreneurs who had very humble beginnings.

Richard Branson believes the true meaning to life is to help others; to make the world a better place to live for all living creatures. I’m sure most would agree.

Here is a final word that resonates clearly. “Success can take off without warning.” Richard Branson has experienced a few dark hours; where he thought he was finished and hope was fading fast. However like many successful entrepreneurs they believe they make their own luck; and the harder you work the luckier you get. Success can come in a blink of an eye.

Joel Brown is the CEO and Founder of Addicted2Success.com. With a long time passion for Entrepreneurship, Self development & Success, Joel started his website with the intention of educating and inspiring likeminded people all over the world to always strive for success no matter what their circumstances. Follow Joel Brown on Twitter or keep upto date with him on Facebook:Facebook.com/JoelBrownA2S

1. emanuel

July 13, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Stop following Richard branson

2. lanre

July 2, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I tried to follow his lead..I still dream of flying, but never got past my imagination. I guess when you get thrown into a pool of deep water you either swim or drown.That’s what inspired the virgin man as a kid. His drive is fron his parents. It all still boils down to the family afterall.

3. sheldene sander-smit

March 2, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I always look up to Richard Branson. Many yaers ago I had the opportunity of meeting him in South Africa with Virgin Cola. I have since moved on with my own company in education. I dream to be sucsessful and to give back to education. I hope to find investers and make a foot print as he has done in in all his companies. ” I solute you Sir”

4. Bryan Petty

January 12, 2013 at 7:14 am

Love this man! Imagine all the lives he has made a huge impact in! We all should aspire to be like him! Working a dead end part time job, wife doing the same with a Master in Accounting, and broke as hell! But you know what going fishing with my dad in 5 hours just watched loopers with my lovely wife, tucked my little sweet daughter into bed. Tomorrow I finish my business plan for my photograph equipment startup and respond to a man in India that I hope will build my App. And loving every minute of this wonderful life! Cheers to you Sir Richard Branson! Lets take this world head on! Lets make a difference!

5. Coye LeRocke

November 27, 2012 at 3:05 am

Excellent article. I often look to Sir Richard Branson for inspiration and as a guide.

6. Susanna Halonen

November 21, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Awesome article!
    Love the fact how he shows the world how business can be fun and know how to give back to the communities as well. He is an excellent example of how modern day business should be done!
    And his wisdom doesn’t hurt either – if you’re not having fun then stop, live in the moment and dream big – all things which help you build a happy life!

7. Castroviejo

October 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Great article! But let me clarify something. It’s not money the root of all evil, it’s the love of money the root all evil. I guess this is another success tip from entrepreneurs, by not loving money they are able to fund big charity organizations and serve humanity!

8. emmanuel

June 10, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Thanks for making this site as addictive as possible I commend the good work you aalways put in…(such a great article)

9. Karen VanEtten

April 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Good to know that there are people in the world willing to play if forward and help others

10. Xavier Smith

April 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Wow, I loved reading this as I recently used Mr. Branson as an inspiration for my life and now I am reading more about him! Bravo!

This really helps me get my foot out of the quicksand of mediocrity!

Very timely read! Thank you!

11. Daniel

April 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm

These are great rules to live by. Mark Cuban has a similar thought process that I wrote about.

12. Giles

April 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm

This has been really helpful.. thanks for sharing.

13. Yatish B.kADAM

March 30, 2012 at 6:51 am

Thanks, Such a Very – Very Great Advices

14. kennboy1

March 28, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Thanks, such a great post, good lessons and advice. You got something great going on with this blog.

15. Geophrey Tenganamba

March 28, 2012 at 4:11 am

Richard Branson is the best. We all need to learn from him. Thank you for sharing with us

16. Jay Choi

March 28, 2012 at 3:18 am

Great post, really can tell your efforts to give something of value to your readers.

• Joel

March 28, 2012 at 3:21 am

Thank you Jay!

17. Nakacwa Rhona

March 27, 2012 at 5:25 am

Thanks alot for the advice,ya we hv to work hard but like us in Africa we yes work hard but sometimes situations bring you down,l love you Richard,indeed,your a true billioniar,God bless you for the good heart you hv.